Pekin Ducks

jak2002003

I am desperate to find some pekin ducks in Chiang Mai area.

I have been to several markets and pet shops (that sell chickens), but keep getting told they don't exist in Chiang Mai, only Bangkok!!!!

I know this in not true as I had a pair a year ago, but they got eaten by a snake. I also saw several in the rice fields on my way home some time back.

Also, I know the Pekin ducks are used in commercial egg production here, but I can't get any info on the internet about duck farms in the North.

I would be very grateful for any info, thanks.

(I am so used to finding easy info on the internet in the UK, for just about any bird or pet supplier, but Thailand farming businesses don't seem to advertise much on the net).

I assume that we are talking about the mulit colored small Peking Ducks. I have never seen one but I understand that they are beautiful. I went to Chiang Mai looking for some but could not find in town. I was told that the market in Somerng had them but I ran out of time.

Ozzy how did you order the ducks from Bangkok?

I assume that we are talking about the mulit colored small Peking Ducks. I have never seen one but I understand that they are beautiful. I went to Chiang Mai looking for some but could not find in town. I was told that the market in Somerng had them but I ran out of time.

Ozzy how did you order the ducks from Bangkok?

No Donald ,Pekins are pure white with bright yellow beak and legs,heavy breed with drakes going to 5kg.

They are very docile and quiet ,lay large eggs and do not go broody, they also do not fly and love being on the pond.

One of our feed merchants gets them on order from down Bangkok way but he flatly refuses to divulge his supplierwhistling.gif

I stand corrected on the Peking duck. I have one of the white ones who just came here about a year ago. He is very old and does not get around much. He is a male and has mixed off springs which are very big and beautiful. They are as big as geese.

Someone told me that there was a small multi-colored.

Jak

I know that you have been searching in vain for your beloved Peking ducks for a long time now.

Maybe it would be a good idea if you were to find somewhere in Thailand that sells fertile eggs and have them posted to you.

There are many ideas on how to build a homemade incubator on Youtube or failing that there are also ready made ones you can buy.

Good luck with your endeavours and hopefully one day soon you will have some pretty Pekins at your place.

the problem with buying eggs here is you would never know what you are getting. The only hope is to buy the pure breds from Bangkok if they can be found

Yeah,you have a good point there Donald,I was trying to think of any easier way than traveling all the way down BKK for a few ducks.

There must be someone up north that has them surely !!!

I went with Marlene for a meal at a Chinese restaurant in Chiang Mai and order the 'Chinese Chicken Surprise'.

The waiter brings us the meal, served in a lidded cast iron pot.

Just as Marlene is about to serve herself, the lid of the pot rises slightly and she briefly sees two beady little eyes looking around before the lid slams back down.

'Good grief, did you see that?' she asks me. But I hadn't, so she asks me to look in the pot. I reached for it and again the lid rises, and I see two little eyes looking around before it slams down.shock1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Q3XOm0fuQs.png

Rather perturbed, I called the waiter over, explained what is happening, and demands an explanation.

'Please sir,' says the waiter, 'what you order?'

I replied, 'Chicken Surprise'

‘Oh! I so sorry,' says the waiter, 'I bring you Peeking Duck by mistake’.facepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_.gif

sorry.gif.pagespeed.ce.HIAcli9fRM.png i'll get my coat.

It took longer than I expected :D

When I was working in Kunming just south of the city is the most unbelievable duck restaurant you have ever seen. It is 3 floors and can seat about 300 people. They have a big duck smoking facility that was really interesting. The food is really great.

Some how we will find the Peking Ducks. We just have to keep looking.

When I was working in Kunming just south of the city is the most unbelievable duck restaurant you have ever seen. It is 3 floors and can seat about 300 people. They have a big duck smoking facility that was really interesting. The food is really great.

Some how we will find the Peking Ducks. We just have to keep looking.

One of the things we find with Pekins is that they need their enclosure close to a pond.

A... they love being on the water

B.. As they dont fly and are as slow as a wet week on their feet they are an easy target for the stray dogs in the area.

Also Thais do not like to kill them or eat them if they know what they are,like rabbits they consider them too pretty to kill.

group. I plan to roast most of the males as they do not serve any long term purpose.

I have been mistaken about the beautiful smaller ducks they are Mandarin ducks. Has anyone seen these or know anything about where you might purchase them? They would be worth separating from the Peking ducks.

group. I plan to roast most of the males as they do not serve any long term purpose.

I have been mistaken about the beautiful smaller ducks they are Mandarin ducks. Has anyone seen these or know anything about where you might purchase them? They would be worth separating from the Peking ducks.

You would be lucky to find Mandarins outside a zoo or an avid collectors private collection.

As they are flyers in the same class as wild duck, the difference being they live in forests and roost and nest in trees, you have to keep them in a fully enclosed flight or cautorise the first joint off a wing to render them flightless.

A poultry collector friend in Oz had a pair (they mate for life) and twenty years ago they were worth a kings ransom so I,d hate to think what they would be worth now that they are so rare.