How to get best, tailored clothing in Bangkok, for the right price

somchaismith

Just confirms all my own experiences after 3 suits made in Thailand, none of which I was content with and ended up just using for 'working suits'.

The idea of buying off-the-peg quality garments and having them altered here appeals to me as i'm minature in statue, not stature !

I guess I should say something simply because I am likely to belong to the top 1% on TV in terms of being an absolute clothes freak.

There is not a tailor in Bangkok who can deliver the same kind of quality and material that you'll get if you spend 40k baht on a normal factory collection Italian suit in one of the shopping malls. The problem for a certain percentage of the male population is that standard sizes aren't even close to fit.

But trust me when I say this; you can't buy a cashmere wool suit for less than 30k since the material itself is 30k.

You WILL NOT get the same quality as ordinary Canali, Zegna, Armani or similar if you buy a tailored suit in Bangkok. Period. Proper tailors in London are different, but then you're looking at a completely different price...

What you say is "almost" true ... but not totally. It took me many years to find them, but I know of two tailor shops ... both within two sois off of Sukhumvit ... that produce superb suits, coats, pants and shirts. They're both very expensive ... for Thailand ... but the quality is as good as any in England/Europe.

Having tried many than most in my 15 years here i can safely say i have learnt that there is only one tailor in Bangkok

http://www.tailoronten.com/

All the others are just clothes makers. These guys do what a real tailor does and talk to you about plackets, collar and cuff styles, buttons, cuts etc. Not just wham bam, measure and out you go only to come back to a poor fitting bin liner.

Indeed these guys are the real deal. Two Canadian brothers I think.

I guess I should say something simply because I am likely to belong to the top 1% on TV in terms of being an absolute clothes freak.

There is not a tailor in Bangkok who can deliver the same kind of quality and material that you'll get if you spend 40k baht on a normal factory collection Italian suit in one of the shopping malls. The problem for a certain percentage of the male population is that standard sizes aren't even close to fit.

But trust me when I say this; you can't buy a cashmere wool suit for less than 30k since the material itself is 30k.

You WILL NOT get the same quality as ordinary Canali, Zegna, Armani or similar if you buy a tailored suit in Bangkok. Period. Proper tailors in London are different, but then you're looking at a completely different price...

What you say is "almost" true ... but not totally. It took me many years to find them, but I know of two tailor shops ... both within two sois off of Sukhumvit ... that produce superb suits, coats, pants and shirts. They're both very expensive ... for Thailand ... but the quality is as good as any in England/Europe.

Please share details of these great tailors...

I think if you are average body shape I.e. can fit shop made suits you are best to go with them. I've bought about 6 fitted suits from "good" tailors in bangkok. I think I've been happy with 1, even after three or four fittings for each. They struggle getting the measurements consistent and the material is a gamble. Also they try and get you slightly drunk in there with free beer so you'll part with your cash. Have you seen the girls having satin type bright dresses made, they look awful, but after a drink or two they think they look good