Retirement visa declined - why?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about proof of income route? I will be applying for " retirement" extension of stay to my Non immigrant O visa soon and I have nothing on deposit, but understand that proof of income from pensions amounting to a minimum of 65,000 baht per month will suffice. As all of this, always goes straight from my Bangkok Bank account to my Thai girlfriend every month, there is never anything to show in the account. However, my bank book shows that I receive more than the minimum every month.

Income requires a letter from your embassy if from outside Thailand - not a bank book.

I know the rule states you must have the seasoned 800,000bt but is it truly required the bank book and letter match exactly?

My bank letter stated 950,000.

My bank book stated 940,000.

Turned me away.

Yes....! These are the rules, follow them. Logic does not come into the equation, T.I.T.

Understandably, they want retirees that can support themselves. A rock solid 940,000 not good enough.

I could be destitute, go to the embassy and get myself a faked pension letter.

Those, they will accept.

When I go to get my letter from bank I always do a small withdrawal at the same time cos I thought that was required alsobut then that puts the amount in the bank and the withdrawal a different amount,but it does show the same on the withdrawal slip before the actual withdrawal amount when the transaction is finished and spit out.Am I still in the wrong with this one?

Your passbook has to be updated on the same day as the bank letter is issued. I'm not sure I understand your explanation, but just do the withdrawal before you ask for the bank letter. That way the letter and the passbook balances will match.

Sophon

cheesy.gif People complain that the government does not go by the rules and then when they do people get upset.

Not saying that the immigration person was right or wrong BUT they go by the rules that they have given to them by their bosses. I live in PT and am retired with a monthly pension. i just take my canuck bank print out to the embassy and they give me the letter. maybe pathum thani is a nicer place i just know that when they change the rules they will assist you if you are reasonable with them.

It is just a simple thing of remembering we re guests in their country and every once in awhile we are going to get things wrong. If you follow the rules to the letter of the law then you run less chance of issues popping up

Agree. Pathum Thani are usually fairly helpful. The officers have to follow what their boss says. One or two of them work incredibly hard, and will usually try their best to help you if they can. I've seen one officer often cut her lunch break short if there's a cue waiting.

Of course people will sometimes apply or interpret rules differently or simply follow the latest order from the boss. But, that's not unique to Thailand. There have been reports on TV and I've heard several other stories about mistakes made by ECO's at the British Embassy / UKBA.

The UKBA have a very poor image in the UK and are heavily criticized for getting things regularly wrong.

When I go to get my letter from bank I always do a small withdrawal at the same time cos I thought that was required alsobut then that puts the amount in the bank and the withdrawal a different amount,but it does show the same on the withdrawal slip before the actual withdrawal amount when the transaction is finished and spit out.Am I still in the wrong with this one?

Your passbook has to be updated on the same day as the bank letter is issued. I'm not sure I understand your explanation, but just do the withdrawal before you ask for the bank letter. That way the letter and the passbook balances will match.

Sophon

Not quite. The passbook has to be updated as at the date you actually apply. That's the rule I've been told for several extensions. They have always accepted a bank letter dated 1-3 days before, and suggest you make a nominal deposit or withdrawl on the day you apply.

The officers told me it was to make sure that the money was still there on the day you applied and had not been removed after the bank letter issued. This was and still is the interpretation from this particular office.

I know the rule states you must have the seasoned 800,000bt but is it truly required the bank book and letter match exactly?

My bank letter stated 950,000.

My bank book stated 940,000.

Turned me away.

Yes....! These are the rules, follow them. Logic does not come into the equation, T.I.T.

----------------

From my personal experience on 8 October 2013 at Chaengwattana in Bangkok, this is not necessarily the case.

I got my bank letter from Bangkok Bank on 7 October 2013, 24 hours before I went for my 3rd retirement renewal.

On the 8th of October,.

When I got to Chaengwattana I realized when I paid the taxi driver that I did not have the 1900 application Baht fee in my wallet.

So I went downstairs and withdrew 2500 Baht from my bank account with my passbook.

When I went for my interview therefore my letter from 7 October and my actual account balance as shown by my passbook on 8 October was 2500 Baht less than the letter amount stated.

I mentioned that at my interview to the immigration officer, and all he said was, "Oh don't worry about that. It doesn't matter. Anyhow I can see in your passbook that you took the money out this morning, so I'm not concerned about that small amount."

Not all of them are out to hassle you. They're just trying to do their job.

I had a mate who got refused because on the day he went to apply he discovered that his balance was 75 baht under the required amount and had been for a couple of days he asked the officer if he could put 500 baht in from his other acc. to cover the shortfall only to be told no sorry must have said amount in bank for 3 months . Overly zealous enforcement maybe but following the law to the letter.

Remember people these officers love to say no so make sure you give them no joy.

Actually, this should have been possible to use MULTIPLE bank accounts to qualify. I have been told this several times over the years that using multiple accounts. Of course you would need bank letters from all accounts being used. In the case of a 75 baht shortfall I am sure the other account had at least 75 baht in it for the last three months, correct? The officer was correct to decline the application without a letter from the OTHER bank. The rules are the rules, 800K, and seasoned, but there is no rule about prohibiting use of MULTIPLE accounts to meet that.

Sophon

Not quite. The passbook has to be updated as at the date you actually apply. That's the rule I've been told for several extensions. They have always accepted a bank letter dated 1-3 days before, and suggest you make a nominal deposit or withdrawl on the day you apply.

The officers told me it was to make sure that the money was still there on the day you applied and had not been removed after the bank letter issued. This was and still is the interpretation from this particular office.

A couple years ago, at Chaengwattana Immigration, when applying for my usual one-year extension the official sent me to my bank's local branch (in the basement floor) to deposit/withdraw 100b (my choice) because my bank letter was a couple days old ...

I think that, ideally, you must get your bank letter in the AM and apply for the extension in the PM.

I find that a bit silly but it's their call. LOL

Later this month I'll apply again - the letter will be dated the day before ...

Edited by jayceenik

Shouldn't there be some room for an Immigration Officer to assist a person like this that clearly has 150,000 in excess of the minimum requirement.

The rule is to stop people gaming the system. This person clearly is not. She should get the stamp and a friendly reminder to do better next year.

They jerked me around even though I had excess of 800,000bt funds in the bank aged over 90 days.

My bank letter stated 950,000 but my bank book showed 940,000 as I had made a withdrawal.

"No, go back to the bank for a new letter that matches the bankbook."

"But Officer, I have well in excess of the required minimum"...

Dirty look and waved off like an annoying fly..

Maybe the guy was fishing for a backhander?

"Maybe the guy was fishing for a backhander?"

Maybe he thought you couldn't understand a simple, long-standing rule.

As has been stated in this forum over and over and over ... the amount shown in your bank book must be EXACTLY the amount stated in the manager's letter.

Jerking around people that over qualify.

The required 800,000 + an extra 150.000 sitting in the bank for over 3 months wasn't good enough.

You can answer that your self did it conform to the regulations?

Myself I would have taken the 10,000 baht out before asking for the letter.

That is a big problem here in Thailand people do not realize or except that the Thai's have a different logic system.

So they ignore it even though what they say makes sense or as in this case they are over qualified.

and wasn't there a thread about using companies to do your immigration business on here a few days ago? here is another good reason to use experts!!!i can't understand why anybody would want to willingly to deal with immigration

The cost of that service was 5,000 baht and you still had to go in. They would drive you from their office to a set up time no waiting and bring you back to their office. It did save you the trouble of finding parking and waiting some times as long as 7 hours (personal experience) Or if you were fortunate enough to have an appointment half an hour. I have done it in three hours with out an appointment.

How much is 5,000 baht to you? Not worth 7 hours when you are retired and have nothing to do that you can not plan around.

I have to laugh at people like that. I to went through a period after I retired where I swore I was going to get a job so I could have some time for myself I understand where they are coming from but I learned eventually. If I hadn't I would still be back in Canada.

Sophon

Nonthaburi by any chance ?

Shouldn't there be some room for an Immigration Officer to assist a person like this that clearly has 150,000 in excess of the minimum requirement.

The rule is to stop people gaming the system. This person clearly is not. She should get the stamp and a friendly reminder to do better next year.

They jerked me around even though I had excess of 800,000bt funds in the bank aged over 90 days.

My bank letter stated 950,000 but my bank book showed 940,000 as I had made a withdrawal.

As has been stated in this forum over and over and over ... the amount shown in your bank book must be EXACTLY the amount stated in the manager's letter.

The required 800,000 + an extra 150.000 sitting in the bank for over 3 months wasn't good enough.

your sense of entitlement certainly doesn't seem to be doing you any favours.

And you apparently have an extension of stay for retirement rather than an O-A visa. And you should have supporting documents for the Embassy income figure if asked but there is no requirement for any bank book at most locations but you should have some means to show how you pay for local expenses (which a bank account fills).

I have an O-A Retirement Visa,   All I ever take to Immigration is a letter

from the US Embassy stating my monthly income is 87K....I wonder if I

will need a bank statement too?   I never have before.

You do not have a OA visa. You have an extension of stay based upon retirement you obtained at immigration.

Normally back up proof is not required for income documents but some offices do at times ask for it. A Thai bank book showing transfers into the country is the best proof.

This thread has nothing to do with fixed deposit accounts (which are normally accepted) but about not have the required funds in the account 3 months when using combined income/account which is not normally required and is not indicated as a requirement in police order 777/2551.

I know your plight however the whole system is flawed

IMHO it should be means tested - this would be a fairer system

after all if you own your own condo/house then you would need less money than say someone renting

if you have investment accounts and fixed term deposits then why would you liquidate these to satisfy immigrations 800K rule

If Immigration had as much attention paid to it as Mr T has then we would have an equitable and fairer system to deal with.

your sense of entitlement certainly doesn't seem to be doing you any favours.

Some are required to have matching bank book and bank letter. Others not.

Some need to withdraw 100 bt. Others want the book updated the same day. Some don't.

Next year I'll keep the money in my country and get the fake pension letter that they will immediately approve.

800k is pretty low. Not a hard ask really.

For you maybe.... Not everyone has that kind of money lying around...

That kind of money? You reach retirement and you haven't got 16,000 quid, which is basically a recent school leavers annual salary?? If you can't save that sort of money after 30-40 years working then you have no business coming to Thailand to retire.

800k is pretty low. Not a hard ask really.

For you maybe.... Not everyone has that kind of money lying around...

That kind of money? You reach retirement and you haven't got 16,000 quid, which is basically a recent school leavers annual salary?? If you can't save that sort of money after 30-40 years working then you have no business coming to Thailand to retire.
Seemingly , you have no more business coming to Thailand to retire if you have 160,000 quid .....you still only get granted a 1 year extension , and you are still only a guest here.

i used to get a marriage visa but the retirement visa is faster and need less paper work so i do the retirement visa for about 5 years whit no problem,this year i apply for retirement visa in phuket i have all paper work and a letter from my embassy for my income

i get my visa, but at home i take a better look of my passport and i find out the visa was for 8 month?

i just don't understand because i all way get one year.

any one know?

and wasn't there a thread about using companies to do your immigration business on here a few days ago? here is another good reason to use experts!!!i can't understand why anybody would want to willingly to deal with immigration

It's akin to paying a travel agency to make your airline reservations. Why bother?

before i used to do a marriage visa,but the retirement visa is faster and need less paper work so for the last 5 year i do a retirement visa whit no problem,this time i apply for the retirement visa for the first time in phuket i have all the paper work and a letter from my embassy for my income,i get my visa but at home i take a better look of my passport and i find out my visa was not for one year but 8 month? i do not understand why,any one know?