Retirement visa declined - why?

When does your passport expire?

An extension is not given beyond validity of passport.

you right my passeport expire 05/31/2014 !!!

and my visa is good to 05/31/2014

thank you

Get a new passport and they will transfer your stamps and then go back in May to apply for a new extension. New rules that came out in August.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the rule states you must have the seasoned 800,000bt but is it truly required the bank book and letter match exactly?

My bank letter stated 950,000.

My bank book stated 940,000.

Turned me away.

Yes....! These are the rules, follow them. Logic does not come into the equation, T.I.T.

Understandably, they want retirees that can support themselves. A rock solid 940,000 not good enough.

I could be destitute, go to the embassy and get myself a faked pension letter.

Those, they will accept.

It wasn't that ฿940,000 wasn't good enough. It was that the bank book and the letter showed different amounts.

You ask if it is 'truly required the bank book and letter match exactly'.

Evidently, it is.

You could, as you say, get a faked pension letter. You could also go back to your bank and get a letter that shows the same amount as is in your bank book.

They would also accept that.

Shouldn't there be some room for an Immigration Officer to assist a person like this that clearly has 150,000 in excess of the minimum requirement.

The rule is to stop people gaming the system. This person clearly is not. She should get the stamp and a friendly reminder to do better next year.

They jerked me around even though I had excess of 800,000bt funds in the bank aged over 90 days.

My bank letter stated 950,000 but my bank book showed 940,000 as I had made a withdrawal.

"No, go back to the bank for a new letter that matches the bankbook."

"But Officer, I have well in excess of the required minimum"...

Dirty look and waved off like an annoying fly..

Maybe the guy was fishing for a backhander?

Same thing happened to me this year at Jomtien. When I rushed around and got hold of another bank letter and had my passport stamped, I told the officer supervising the prissy young miss who I had dealt with that there would be no thank you present this year.
I went to Jomtien office on 16th August this year.My bank had drawn up my letter based on selecting balances from three bank books that totaled just in excess of 800,000 Baht. Normally my Thai wife does all transactions with immigration for me. This year she came home without a new visa and no Passport. She said that they want the original Bank books for each of the three accounts. When I got to immigration I pointed out that it was beyond the procedural authority to have the original Bank Books. They got angry so did I. I demanded to see the Major in charge and they refused. I went ballistic and asked why they are giving me a hard time after all these years of good relations. Still silence. So I asked them if the boss had found out about their scams. Total silence. Within two minutes a girl hurried over with my passport with new visa and then all three of them turned and looked away from me. I didn't ask for my 100 Baht change I just walked out, still angry. You must be right. Something bad has happened there recently. Edited by indyuk

I don't think asking to see the original bank books is especially harsh. They have every legal right to request additional proof/documentation of anything they like. I usually remember to bring in the bank book to show if asked. It wouldn't shock me to be asked that ESPECIALLY if using multiple accounts which most people do not do. I also don't see what the big issue is of complying with EXACT MATCHES, bank letters to books. These officers aren't paid to be creative. It makes things easier to avoid ANY complications.

Also I think the CONFRONTATIONAL behavior described in the post above is extremely risky. I would never behave that way at immigration and suggest others not do so as well.

No, not being a "Thai apologist" for the immigration police. I just realize the power they have and don't want to piss them off!

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

800k is pretty low. Not a hard ask really.

Yes, for most people it isn't a lot, and I understand why the Thais are wary of underfunded falangs. But I NEVER put even a small amount of money into accounts that guarantee less than inflation, which is what Immigration asks me to do. I would be happy to show 5x the amount in equities or other investments in Thailand. But please, not a bank account - or even a term deposit - that is running at far less than rate of inflation.

When I got to immigration I pointed out that it was beyond the procedural authority to have the original Bank Books.

I think you are wrong. Whenever I present a photocopy for any process I always take the original document with me, just in case they want to verify that the copy is accurate which is entirely their right. Mostly they dont but sometimes they do.

They got angry so did I. I demanded ...... I went ballistic .... a hard time ...... found out about their scams. ...... still angry.

Wow. Angry? Scams?

What possible scam can there be with retirement visa extension? You pay 1900B, you present the correct documents, you get the extension. It seems like a complete doddle to me.

And I see nothing to get angry about in the process either.

Well, I can imagine things happening that would make me feel angry in the retirement extension process, but I see no benefit in EXPRESSING any such anger at immigration. In my experience, sometimes the officers can indeed behave extremely RUDELY. Yes, I agree they have the right to ask for documents. Talking more about the psychological game that is sometimes going on. Actually, my feelings there are often closer to fear than anger, fear that I will be unlucky and run into an officer who for whatever "reason" wants to give me a hard time.

Edited by Jingthing

It happened to me in Hua Hin, and it's been reported for Korat and one other place up north (can't find my notes right now...)

Those locations *do* require the 90-day seasoning for funds when using the combination method (savings + income > B800,000).

I'd be interested which location this just occurred, to see if there is now a fourth location.

When it happened to me in Hua Hin (two years ago) they offered to forego the seasoning for a fee. I think it was B4,000. I recall it was considerably more than a B2,000 Non-Immigrant O visa to gve me 90 days for seasoning, so I declined. Had it been just B2,000, I might have bitten, but their greed put me off.

Before the broom was used in Hua Hin everyone wanted something.

Its almost pleasant to go there for your visa now.

For you maybe.... Not everyone has that kind of money lying around...

That kind of money? You reach retirement and you haven't got 16,000 quid, which is basically a recent school leavers annual salary?? If you can't save that sort of money after 30-40 years working then you have no business coming to Thailand to retire.

Who are you to say who can or cannot retire to Thailand - you might have too much money but some people do not and they need help to make sure they do things correctly with immigration.

For you maybe.... Not everyone has that kind of money lying around...

That kind of money? You reach retirement and you haven't got 16,000 quid, which is basically a recent school leavers annual salary?? If you can't save that sort of money after 30-40 years working then you have no business coming to Thailand to retire.

Who are you to say who can or cannot retire to Thailand - you might have too much money but some people do not and they need help to make sure they do things correctly with immigration.

I don't decide who retires in Thailand...but if I did, I would make sure that retirees had enough money to support themselves including health insurance and 800k ain't near enough.

Thankfully you do not decide and I think that a lot of retirees and the lower thresholds will be thinking similar

Good luck to them and you. There is a lower threshold and there is bones of the arse poor and if you can't gather 16k GBP to retire in another country then you are in the latter category. Most people I know in their 30s here in Thailand have triple that already and well on the way to paying off their own house/apartment.

Edited by kurnell

I see certain types in the imm.office and i wonder why they did not shave or wear some decent clothes.If you at least try to look civilised

and behave i a polite way it may make a difference?

Yep. Shave and bring cupcakes.

If they like you they might not jerk you around so much.

At Jomtien, I would NOT suggest bringing in any kind of food, money, or liquor gratuity! They will likely think you have something to hide if you do. Maybe that kind of ploy works at small offices. I don't know. I would suggest of course being clean, decently dressed (beach resorts that would likely be a lower bar than other places), groomed, soft spoken, totally accepting of their authority and power of your life here, and polite. Obviously. To suggest that always prevents problems however is obviously specious but it can't hurt! On the contrary if you show up dirty in crap clothes and have an arrogant attitude, of course your chances of flak are higher. I also suggest don't OVERDO the formality of your dress, again looks like you have something to hide.

Edited by Jingthing

This thread seems to have degenerated somewhat into a slanging match. As a newbie, may it say that whilst entertaining, it isn't helpful.

Basically, whether you have £16,000 in the bank at the time that you retire or not is immaterial as the requirement for a non immigrant O visa multiple entry valid for 12 months with 90 day visa runs, only requires that you can prove you have retirement income e.g. Pensions, of more than 65,000 Thai baht per month. Application for extension of stay can then be made every 12 months using the same criteria. I have never had and am never likely to have a spare £16,000 lying around in any bank account, but having worked for 42 years in the same job, I think I am entitled to decide where I would like to retire to, money or no money.

At the end of the day we are all guests in this wonderful country and have to abide by the rules however they are interpreted. I do not believe that we should criticise any Thai national for doing their job or come to that for any other reason. If you were invited as a guest to a dinner party, would you tell them how bad the food was? Of course not. Of you did you would not be invited again. The same principal applies to Yhailand and Thai people. Politeness costs nothing

• Like 1

Thankfully you do not decide and I think that a lot of retirees and the lower thresholds will be thinking similar

Good luck to them and you. There is a lower threshold and there is bones of the arse poor and if you can't gather 16k GBP to retire in another country then you are in the latter category. Most people I know in their 30s here in Thailand have triple that already and well on the way to paying off their own house/apartment.

So are you saying that the option of 65,000 THB monthly pension income as confirmed by your Embassy should be scrapped and that the financial requirements for annual extensions should be satisfied solely on the basis of 800,000 THB in the bank? I personally would never trust any Thai bank to keep 800,000 THB safely seasoned continuously for 2 or 3 months in view of their lax security procedures (as evidenced in my case by unauthorised withdrawals from 2 separate accounts with Krung Thai and Kasikorn a few years ago).

This thread seems to have degenerated somewhat into a slanging match. As a newbie, may it say that whilst entertaining, it isn't helpful.

Basically, whether you have £16,000 in the bank at the time that you retire or not is immaterial as the requirement for a non immigrant O visa multiple entry valid for 12 months with 90 day visa runs, only requires that you can prove you have retirement income e.g. Pensions, of more than 65,000 Thai baht per month. Application for extension of stay can then be made every 12 months using the same criteria. I have never had and am never likely to have a spare £16,000 lying around in any bank account, but having worked for 42 years in the same job, I think I am entitled to decide where I would like to retire to, money or no money.

At the end of the day we are all guests in this wonderful country and have to abide by the rules however they are interpreted. I do not believe that we should criticise any Thai national for doing their job or come to that for any other reason. If you were invited as a guest to a dinner party, would you tell them how bad the food was? Of course not. Of you did you would not be invited again. The same principal applies to Yhailand and Thai people. Politeness costs nothing

If I were a guest at a dinner party, no, I would not criticize the food but I would mention if their dog bit me or kid picked my pocket.

Most Immigrations Officials are doing good work.

Some play with the rules and jerk around farangs for entertainment.

Lets talk about it.

Exactly

Exactly

I would think the citizens of the country in question would want a say in who gets to retire in their country.

If you were invited as a guest to a dinner party, would you tell them how bad the food was? Of course not. Of you did you would not be invited again. The same principal applies to Yhailand and Thai people. Politeness costs nothing

Guests don't usually have to pay.

• Like 1

If you were invited as a guest to a dinner party, would you tell them how bad the food was? Of course not. Of you did you would not be invited again. The same principal applies to Yhailand and Thai people. Politeness costs nothing

Guests don't usually have to pay.

Paying or not, host makes the rules. One-line answer that.