Electricty meters - ratings & cost per KwH

bluesofa

I've had a look on some previous posts and also the one pinned on this subject.

I want to know about differing cost per unit (KwH) for different rated meters on single phase. Does it depend in Thailand on the meter rating as to the unit cost for example?

There's some previous posts with links to the PEA website for unit cost going back to 2011, but that link no longer works, The PEA website claims to have an English option, but most of the time it reverts to Thai.

Does someone had a current link detailing costs per different rated meter?

I've seen references to a 15/45 meter and I think a 5/15 meter. Why does it have two figures if one is, say, 5A or 15A?

We have (according to the local electrician) a 5A meter which should be replaced with a 15A meter.

Back in the UK I think domestic installations are all 63A (correct me if I'm wrong). How can a 15A meter be sufficient, when my 4.5Kw shower alone must draw 20A?

I seem to remember that years ago in Pattaya we had a 3 phase supply that was billed at a higher unit cost than a domestic meter, as it was rated as commercial (in a GoGo bar).

Also if memory serves me correctly, the more power used here, the higher the unit rate - or maybe on a sliding scale?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

The rates should be available with a search but basically very low consumption is a lower rate but normal usage will be at the about 4 baht per unit rate (which varies monthly according to fuel usage with an ft tax applied. Not sure if there is still a surcharge for 3 phase power but most residential usage only requires the 15/45 amp single phase meter (the 5/15 was used 30 years ago with no heaters/air conditioning or even rice cookers in most cases and most people have upgraded to the 15/45 service. This service is normally fused at 60 amps so will be fine for most places. The 15 is continuous usage and 45 temporary but up to 60 amps for short periods seems to be fine (although meter might not be as accurate if up there for a long period) and as said is what the home fuse normally is.

I have a 15/45 meter and use about 700KWH/month, two houses. I have airconditioning, but do not use it. The rate varies because of fuel surcharge but the current rate is 4.41 baht/KWH including VAT, in the sticks with PEA.

• Like 1

Wayned posted the current prices we pay. The photo attached shows the installation labor fee, refundable deposit, tax, and actual meter purchase fee from the PEA for new or upgraded service. I am of the belief that any PEA office will have the same or very similar sign with prices on the wall inside the business office of the PEA in or near your community.

post-20604-0-58506600-1381647495_thumb.j

The size of the meter only effects the setup cost - all are charged on the same sliding rate depending on actual usage after that. The only exception is in some cases you will be issued with a "construction meter' while your house is being built. This is charged at commercial rates, i.e, > 7 Baht/unit. If you have one of these, you will need the PEA to be satisfied your construction is finished (normally involves an on-site visit) before they will allow you to apply for a domestic meter.

• Like 1

I use around 1700KWH per month...one 18K BTU A/C running 24/7 and another one at night...I have a 15/100A single phase service/meter. Anyway, you can use the Bangkok Metropolitan Electric Authority (MEA) electricity bill calculator to determine your bill to the exact stang, but you'll need Google Translate turned on in your browser. MEA and PEA have the same prices as far as I know....if they are not exactly the same they are durn close to being the same.

Here's the link....use Type 1, Residential Rates 1.2 to determine your bill. Just enter the number of KWH you use per month, be sure a Tariff Adjustment Amount automatically appears in it block (if not click 1.1 rates then 1.2 rate again), click the calculate button and it will show your the charge to the stang...always matches my bill to the exact stang. Current price per KWH including current energy tariff, taxes, etc., works out to 4.6 baht/KWH

1700KWH seems high for the load you have stated. It sounds like the 18K BTU aircon is either fighting against high levels of heat ingress, or has very low efficiency?

At one of my places we run a 24K BTU for 4-8 hours/day, an 18K BTU for ~16 hours, and a 12K BTU for ~ 12 hours/day, plus have 4 computers running 24/7, a 500w Plasma TV on for ~12 hours/day, 300w of outdoor lighting on for 12 hours/day, 3x 6kW electric water heaters used for around 3 hours/day in total, and we still only use 1000-1200 units/month.

I use around 1700KWH per month...one 18K BTU A/C running 24/7 and another one at night...I have a 15/100A single phase service/meter. Anyway, you can use the Bangkok Metropolitan Electric Authority (MEA) electricity bill calculator to determine your bill to the exact stang, but you'll need Google Translate turned on in your browser. MEA and PEA have the same prices as far as I know....if they are not exactly the same they are durn close to being the same.

Here's the link....use Type 1, Residential Rates 1.2 to determine your bill. Just enter the number of KWH you use per month, be sure a Tariff Adjustment Amount automatically appears in it block (if not click 1.1 rates then 1.2 rate again), click the calculate button and it will show your the charge to the stang...always matches my bill to the exact stang. Current price per KWH including current energy tariff, taxes, etc., works out to 4.6 baht/KWH

1700KWH seems high for the load you have stated. It sounds like the 18K BTU aircon is either fighting against high levels of heat ingress, or has very low efficiency?

At one of my places we run a 24K BTU for 4-8 hours/day, an 18K BTU for ~16 hours, and a 12K BTU for ~ 12 hours/day, plus have 4 computers running 24/7, a 500w Plasma TV on for ~12 hours/day, 300w of outdoor lighting on for 12 hours/day, 3x 6kW electric water heaters used for around 3 hours/day in total, and we still only use 1000-1200 units/month.

Actually I have 7 A/Cs, but normal operation is one 18K BTU runs 24/7, one A/C that is actually a 22K BTU (the one I mentioned as 18K BTU) that runs at night for around 12 hours, a small office-bedroom 8K BTU A/C that maybe runs an hour a day a couple days a week...the other A/Cs maybe a few hours total each week...3 frigs, two story/four bedroom house, a couple of 6000W water heaters, washer, dryer (and the wife is always washing/drying clothes...hangs few things on the line to dry), 5 large screen TVs with one running most of the day & night and one more getting several hours of use, fans, outdoor lights, computers, settop boxes, no shortage of stuff that eats electricity. I have an ammeter installed on my main circuit box and all electrical items are drawing no more than rated current, especially the A/Cs. For example the 18K BTU that runs 24/7 rated/normal operating current is 8.6A...it averages around 7.8A....the 22K BTU A/C rated/normal current is 9.64A is averages 8.5A. My A/Cs are about 6 years old and their efficiency rating was as good as any 6 years back. The A/Cs are clean and operating fine...below rated amp draw. Plus Bangkok is just a hot place. Yeap, I'm just an energy hog but I pay my electric bill promptly each month.

Edited by Pib

Actually I have 7 A/Cs, but normal operation is one 18K BTU runs 24/7, one A/C that is actually a 22K BTU (the one I mentioned as 18K BTU) that runs at night for around 12 hours, a small office-bedroom 8K BTU A/C that maybe runs an hour a day a couple days a week...the other A/Cs maybe a few hours total each week...3 frigs, two story/four bedroom house, a couple of 6000W water heaters, washer, dryer (and the wife is always washing/drying clothes...hangs few things on the line to dry), 5 large screen TVs with one running most of the day & night and one more getting several hours of use, fans, outdoor lights, computers, settop boxes, no shortage of stuff that eats electricity. I have an ammeter installed on my main circuit box and all electrical items are drawing no more than rated current, especially the A/Cs. For example the 18K BTU that runs 24/7 rated/normal operating current is 8.6A...it averages around 7.8A....the 22K BTU A/C rated/normal current is 9.64A is averages 8.5A. My A/Cs are about 6 years old and their efficiency rating was as good as any 6 years back. The A/Cs are clean and operating fine...below rated amp draw. Plus Bangkok is just a hot place. Yeap, I'm just an energy hog but I pay my electric bill promptly each month.

OK, yep, not so efficient AC's then. Rating for mine are: 12K BTU (11.2 actual) = 3.35A, 18K (19.4 actual) = 6.26A, 24K (25.4 actual) = 9.02A

OK, yep, not so efficient AC's then. Rating for mine are: 12K BTU (11.2 actual) = 3.35A, 18K (19.4 actual) = 6.26A, 24K (25.4 actual) = 9.02A

Yea, sounds like yours a little more efficient than mine...probably newer also....as I mentioned earlier mine are 6 years old....came with the new house...but I expect they first hit the market around 8 years ago since some of my neighbors houses are couple years older, they have the exact same model A/Cs and the A/Cs came with their new houses also. Preaching to the choir I know but it's more than just efficiency when it comes to determining electricity usage of same size BTU A/Cs...like temp/humidity in your part of Thailand, building construction and type, how large an area they are cooling (like that one 18K BTU A/C that runs 24/7 is used to cool the entire first story of my home although I have 3 A/Cs downstairs), and how hard & often the A/C works (cycle time on and off) to cool that area. Plus, those two A/Cs that get a lot of use in my house have condensors/compressors mounted on the south side of the house which gets the most sun pretty much year round...no shade. Yeap, quite a few factors involved than just a unit's efficiency, but a higher efficiency unit should definitely use less electricity as a rule of thumb.