Thailand's left-hand traffic 'impedes integration'

webfact

I'm a great defender against the " All Thais are...." mouth breathers on this forum but I have to say that if some bright government spark suggests that Thailand changes to driving on the right then it'll be vehicular genocide. I shudder at even the slightest thought.

I think they should alternate.

Odd numbered years - drive on the left.

Even numbered years - drive on the right.

The holiday period around New Year can be optional and you can drive on whichever side you like - oops, it already is.

clap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a great defender against the " All Thais are...." mouth breathers on this forum but I have to say that if some bright government spark suggests that Thailand changes to driving on the right then it'll be vehicular genocide. I shudder at even the slightest thought.

If they really are thinking the unthinkable, I sincerely hope I'm somehow else when it happens....!!

• Like 1

My god, what an absolutely stupid assertion. I have been switching between left and right, Continental Europe to the UK, driving in Thailand, Malaysia, Australia, all seems natural to me.

If there is anything impeding integration, it is the low IQ of jerks like Mr. Yukhon Limlaemthoung being in positions of power.

• Like 1

Biggest load of utter and total sh!t I have heard for a while - and that's saying something here!

Blame anyone except the laziness and corrupt officials, huh?

They only need to open their eyes, minds and develop some form of intellect, then they would see the real problem.

I believe this movement comes from China. When the Chiang Kong bridge opens it is expected that between 300-500, 18 wheel trucks will cross the bridge each 24 hours. The Chinese trailers are headed to Laem Chabang to ship their goods from Yunnan and surrounding provinces. Changing to engines that drive on the other side is very expensive for the Chinese. This will further be compounded when the 1 million staff of Chinese are occupying the manufacturing facility in Laos across from the Golden Triangle. Thailand is about to allow China free visas and it is the largest source of tourism. God only know what the Chinese will get in the future.

If the Thais think that crawling into bed with China is a good thing then let them do it. I've given up on this country.

• Like 2

wow.. can you imagine the carnage if the government implemented a "road-side" change? But I've always believed the greatest in and outflow of international road traffic which also drives on the left? Maybe the government doesn't know about this?

I disagree with this official as well, Thailand's problems with integration have almost nothing to do with which side of the road the law says must be driven on. Certainly, it raises the question of ways of mitigating this as an issue, and although the presented options are to either keep climbing a little hill or to drag everyone up K2 and down again, there is a third way. Simply tell the relevant politician to keep their mind on the driving - The UK laws legislate driving on the right as well, and that hasn't prevented the UK integration into the EU or becoming a dominant financial power. The UK's problems with the EU were all to do with the EU itself, not which side of the road they were driving on.

The real problem for Thailand is integration of English into schools as a common language for international communication. There's no problem with retaining the Thai language, but with little emphasis on the internationalisation of English, there is little incentive to do business across the border, let alone worry about which side of the road they drive on.

The United Kingdom which is part of the EEC drives on the left and integrates well businesswise and logistically with the rest of Europe.

If Thailand is such a superior country as is drummed into the minds of Thais from an early age, there shouldn't be any issues, should there? whistling.gif

Blimey! - More guff!

Spoken like a true Englishman

as it costs investors extra logistic expenses for having to change the car engines when crossing the border.

Obviously the guy knows what he is talking about, makes a lot of sense to change the cars engine! after all a left handed engine works different to a right handed engine, it turns in the opposite direction!!!!!

Pretty standard thinking for a PTPredshirt.

• Like 1

It is simply impossible nowadays to change traffic. Perhaps could be done in 60s or 70s but now it is not viable.

Just like other Asian drivers, Thai will drive recklessly either LHD or RHD.

Besides, don't they want Thai logistics company to takeover transportation job by having a different traffic than its neighbours? It looks like they want to bow down to Chinese by any means necessary.

Many years ago I went to a rally (4x4 moving around in difficult terrain, slinging mud at all us bystanders which we enjoyed) but one car stood out.. it was a land rover converted to have steering wheel in both sides, and pedals also of cause.

So this might be the solutions to Thailand, just add extra set of steering wheel and pedals and all problems solved, Oh I forgot the headlights also have to change, so lets just remove those and replace with on roof mounted flash light as this seems fine to many older pickups and trucks where the headlights are as bright as a burned out candle...

But it's really a stupid idea to change this RHD LHD thing, as the cost of it would mount in masses... I'm not sure how Sweden did the change but it did take a lot of years, and they did the change back in the days when there was not that many cars on the road compared to today, and specially not with the amount of cars in Thailand.

Here in little Hua Hin I see chinese cars driving around on chinese license plates, fiddling through the traffic just like the Thais, they even drive better than most in the traffic, maybe because they have to pay attention to the traffic as they can't see as well sitting on the wrong side of the car, but it might even improve many drivers skills to have to face the fact that they will be driving on the "other" side of the road in a "wrong" car.

I doubt that people from Australia or Japan will be driving to this part of the world.

It does make a difference on which side your neighbors drive though, if you plan on doing a lot of trade.

Thailand and Malaysia both rank around number 30 in the world for the size of their economies, Singapore about 35 and Laos and Cambodia down around 130ish. Many of the cars in use in Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia are already RHD Thai imports.

So if it makes a difference what side your big prosperous neighbours drive on, it's about time those three countries fell into line with the big boys.

A far more useful step for this Deputy Prime Minister to spend his time on would be to promote the only common language shared by all 10 ASEAN members.

They might want to follow the neighbors that they will be doing a lot of business with and that is Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. They also might want to consider that China drives on the other side. China is probably more important than all the others combined.

Malaysia and Thailand have a small border which is on the 3 restive provinces of the south. It's not a big crossing for manufacturing, business or other economic endeavors.

I disagree with this official as well, Thailand's problems with integration have almost nothing to do with which side of the road the law says must be driven on. Certainly, it raises the question of ways of mitigating this as an issue, and although the presented options are to either keep climbing a little hill or to drag everyone up K2 and down again, there is a third way. Simply tell the relevant politician to keep their mind on the driving - The UK laws legislate driving on the right as well, and that hasn't prevented the UK integration into the EU or becoming a dominant financial power. The UK's problems with the EU were all to do with the EU itself, not which side of the road they were driving on.

The real problem for Thailand is integration of English into schools as a common language for international communication. There's no problem with retaining the Thai language, but with little emphasis on the internationalisation of English, there is little incentive to do business across the border, let alone worry about which side of the road they drive on.

I am quite sure Thai business has plenty of English speakers and is in no need of an English speaking rice Paddy worker or rubber tree sapper. Why people insist that these people speak English is beyond me. Maybe they are English teachers who can not get employment back at home. Or perhaps an ex pat unwilling to learn Thai so they can order a Thai meal of ask for the bill?

As to the real obstacle's in there way number one is politicians who think to drive on the right side of the road you have to change your engine.

I believe this movement comes from China. When the Chiang Kong bridge opens it is expected that between 300-500, 18 wheel trucks will cross the bridge each 24 hours. The Chinese trailers are headed to Laem Chabang to ship their goods from Yunnan and surrounding provinces. Changing to engines that drive on the other side is very expensive for the Chinese. This will further be compounded when the 1 million staff of Chinese are occupying the manufacturing facility in Laos across from the Golden Triangle. Thailand is about to allow China free visas and it is the largest source of tourism. God only know what the Chinese will get in the future.

If the Thais think that crawling into bed with China is a good thing then let them do it. I've given up on this country.

"Coincidental" this announcement come just after the Chinese premier visited Thailand.

Every day and night I have to swerve around tons of bikes ALREADY on the wrong side of the road, giving me the finger or shouting at close calls when they throw their bike within centimeters of a car driving properly within its own lane.

This admin must, beyond a doubt, be the biggest collection of fools ever in history.

Exactly. This is all about 'integration' with China, not ASEAN. The most advanced ASEAN country (Singapore) and the most populous ASEAN country (Indonesia) both have left-side driving, as does that other core ASEAN country to the south of the border, Malaysia. If integration within ASEAN were the issue, the Thais should be encouraging their northern and eastern neighbours to switch to the left. This is all about China... [i, for one, am glad I won't be around 30 years from now to see what the world will be like then].

• Like 1

I am quite sure Thai business has plenty of English speakers and is in no need of an English speaking rice Paddy worker or rubber tree sapper. Why people insist that these people speak English is beyond me. Maybe they are English teachers who can not get employment back at home. Or perhaps an ex pat unwilling to learn Thai so they can order a Thai meal of ask for the bill?

As to the real obstacle's in there way number one is politicians who think to drive on the right side of the road you have to change your engine.

... or maybe it is because Thailand has signed up to the ASEAN agreement to have English as the working language of the group ?

• Like 2

... or maybe it is because Thailand has signed up to the ASEAN agreement to have English as the working language of the group ?

@ Patronus. I think you're right about that...

Edited by Local Drunk

Thailand is among the few countries driving on the left hand side,while its continental neighbours; Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar, and Vietnam, drive on the right hand side of the road.

So Thailand doesn't measure up to the 'leading' countries of the region? So Thailand dismisses its neighbouring also-rans, such as Malaysia (largest economy in SE Asia), Singapore (the most advanced country is SE Asia) and Indonesia (the world's fourth most populated country, all of which drive on the left. Further afield, other major left-hand drive countries include India, Japan and Australia. So all these countries also uncompetitive according to the Thai Deputy PM? If I were a Thai, I think that I would prefer to compare my country with Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Japan and Australia than with Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar and Vietnam!

• Like 1