Eating fried bugs could be fatal, Thai Health Dept warns

webfact

Health Department warns eating fried bugs might be fatal

PNPBH561016001000301.jpg

BANGKOK, 16 October 2013 (NNT) – The Director General of the Department of Medical Sciences has disclosed an alarming fact that eating fried insects may cause fatalities due to a chemical substance contained in bugs.

Dr. Aphichat Mongkol, Director General of the Department of Medical Sciences, revealed that a chemical substance called Histamine can be fatal to those who have ingested too much of it.

Histamine is normally found in all sorts of foods; however, more of it can be found in those that are high in protein and food that is unclean. Generally the human body is able to cope with low levels of Histamine - usually about 100-200 mg/kg. However, ingesting food that is dirty or contaminated with bacteria can cause high levels of Histamine to enter the body.

Systems of too much Histamine can cause skin infection, rash, stomach ache, nausea, vomiting and asthma. The systems vary in different people and depend on the amount ingested. In serious cases, it can even cause death.

The Department of Medical Science has therefore issued a warning for the general public to avoid consuming fried insects - especially those who have a history of allergies or asthma. Furthermore, should people still feel the need to snack on the insects, it is advised that they should only consume the well-known varieties that are widely sold in the market.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-10-16 footer_n.gif

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So they say it's about the insects themselves containing too much histamine. Then they go on to explain it's to do with bacteria having histamine.

Why does everything I read in the news here set off my BS detector.

Yes - although the report is not total BS .... histamine in food comes from the breakdown of the protein in the food itself and is caused by storing for too long at too high a temperature. Some types of bacteria can also increase the histamine formation so it's one of the factors.

But I think you'd need to eat a lot of insects to have any symptoms - unless you also have an allergic reaction to histamine or have asthma. Normally histamine just gives you a red rash and inflammation. So 50% BS and a bit unnecessary?

Aren't these bugs just eaten as a snack rather than as a main meal?

Histamine from fish is a much bigger risk - eaten is larger amounts and by more people.

There are many areas where the only thing the kids have for food in school, is selfpict insects, and my guess

is that it's not ends in school, they probebly eats it back home too.

So no, they don't eat bugs just as snacks.

So they say it's about the insects themselves containing too much histamine. Then they go on to explain it's to do with bacteria having histamine.

Indeed, half baked reporting lacking lots more important details such as how many fatalities

have been reported so far and where and what kind of 'bugs' as there are several kind

and species of bugs being farmed and sold out there just to name a few..

• Like 1

Thank you.

Before, I just never had a reason for refusing to eat these bugs....

Me too. Although if I try to reference this article as an excuse I will most likely get nothing more than a confused face and Mai bpen rai.

A few years back, we had a black lamp insect trap. We would catch a least a kilo every night in the season (record night 3 kilos), my wife would pick out all the bugs we wanted, the rest went into the fish pond. Then we'd trot off to the market and sell to a lady who cooked them - she couldn't get enough as wild bugs are highly sought after. 1kg of bugs would fetch the same value as 1kg of pork.

Later, a large sugar mill was built in the area, and, the locals started to turn the rice paddies over to sugarcane. We now have very few bugs, so few, we don't bother with the lamps anymore. Thinking not much of it at the time and certainly not seeing a connection to the sugarcane, we were visiting some Thai friends who had a successful cricket farm (they sold a large proportion of their product to a factory that canned them for export). I was sad to hear from them that they had been put out of business due to the chemicals used in cane farming, I exclaimed surprise as there was no sugarcane anywhere near their place.

• Like 2

Yes - although the report is not total BS .... histamine in food comes from the breakdown of the protein in the food itself and is caused by storing for too long at too high a temperature. Some types of bacteria can also increase the histamine formation so it's one of the factors.

But I think you'd need to eat a lot of insects to have any symptoms - unless you also have an allergic reaction to histamine or have asthma. Normally histamine just gives you a red rash and inflammation. So 50% BS and a bit unnecessary?

Aren't these bugs just eaten as a snack rather than as a main meal?

Histamine from fish is a much bigger risk - eaten is larger amounts and by more people.

Correct me if I am wrong, but histamine is the substance that insects use in their sting, to defend themselves, no? Is that not destroyed by the frying process?? I mean, I can "just about" contain my desire to ingest large quantities of fried bugs. Always thought that that phenomenon is limited to Africa, pretty much...

And they have been eating bugs in Thailand for how long? And there have been how many confirmed deaths?

This isn't Ripley's amazing world of facts website is it?

It's just the "dangerous substance of the week". First, Vitamin C is bad for you, then it's good. Then Beta-caroten is good, then bad. And so on.

Ignore it, eat your bugs happily!

• Like 1

A few years back, we had a black lamp insect trap. We would catch a least a kilo every night in the season (record night 3 kilos), my wife would pick out all the bugs we wanted, the rest went into the fish pond. Then we'd trot off to the market and sell to a lady who cooked them - she couldn't get enough as wild bugs are highly sought after. 1kg of bugs would fetch the same value as 1kg of pork.

Later, a large sugar mill was built in the area, and, the locals started to turn the rice paddies over to sugarcane. We now have very few bugs, so few, we don't bother with the lamps anymore. Thinking not much of it at the time and certainly not seeing a connection to the sugarcane, we were visiting some Thai friends who had a successful cricket farm (they sold a large proportion of their product to a factory that canned them for export). I was sad to hear from them that they had been put out of business due to the chemicals used in cane farming, I exclaimed surprise as there was no sugarcane anywhere near their place.

"Picked out all the bugs WE wanted"... that WE includes your own self, no? I find that rather impressive. Was it difficult to learn to appreciate that sort of diet?

Insects Promoted As Protein Source For Thais
Started by webfact, 2013-05-15 14:53
Eating fried bugs could be fatal, Thai Health Dept warns
Started by webfact, 38 minutes ago

To eat or not to eat, that is the question.

You beat me to it. Several months ago they told us to eat bugs for protein. Now, don't eat bugs. TIT!

You know those som tam with pond crabs made me go sick for 2weeks. Completely destroyed me.

Soon they're going to prohibit eating bugs. 50 baht fine for Thais eating bugs and 500 baht for foreigners. Selling cooked bugs will send you to 3 years in jailgiggle.gif

Edited by KRaymond

"Picked out all the bugs WE wanted"... that WE includes your own self, no? I find that rather impressive. Was it difficult to learn to appreciate that sort of diet?

We wanted to sell.