Public Health Ministry to ask Thai govt to collect entry fees from foreigners

webfact

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I have a new law for the western world, if a Thai enters a country of the western world, they have to pay also,

because they have prices. one cheap for Thais and a very expensive for foreigners.

do the same with them and look how do they feel about it.

Why must I suffer for some miscreant or someone else's incompetence? Why should I pay for this?

In that respect, your correct, that is why a THB 500 surcharge is such a bad idea, all the goverment should do in this instance is require people visiting and living in Thailand who are not PR or citizens to have adqeuate medical insurance prior to visiting or living here, if not you dont get in the door...the failing in this proposed scheme is that the goverment is faciltiating/providing the "insurance" they should stay out of it of this aspect of it.....but proposing this scheme somebody in goverment has obviously seen dollar signs and the possiblity of an "income stream" from it.

The only action needed from the goverment is to impose the requirement of medical insurance thats all, how someone gets insured is the problem of the indvidual.

It's a bad idea because this:

Hospitals could just ask for payment up front before any treatment. The reason they are not getting paid is because they don't do that. They give treatment first and later ask for payment. Welcome to the business world, sometimes your customers don't pay you when you give services out before payment.

Payment up front is not possible in certain cases, such as emergencies, life & death situations, unconsciousness, in a coma, etc. These tend to be the most costly types as well.

Why should you pay for someone else's failure to have insurance? Why should Thailand pay? The world isn't fair in many ways, economicly speaking & otherwise.

It's too much trouble & costly to create a system of checking every traveller for health insurance, etc. Much easier to charge everyone a flat rate.

• Like 1

As an expat, I think ruining Thailand's image as a tourist destination is a good thing. I wholeheartedly approve of this plan.

I'm not sure how the image could get any worse to the informed. Yet reported tourist numbers continue to increase. If i was TAT i'd expect this to continue, regardless of fees.

Adding a tiny charge for short time visitors or a small 500 baht for those staying over 3 days may weed out a few very poor travellers such as backpackers, riff raff, people who are more likely not to have health insurance. The TAT could easily look upon this as a positive, obviously, and therefore a win-win situation for LOS.

What I said isn't FALSE at all. I stated other countries impose a fee for entering. Whether or not that fee is to offset Medical costs, I didn't mention nor do I care. The fact is the US and many others charge an entrance for some countries. 500 baht isn't going to keep anyone from coming.

Concrete examples please, genius.

The United states charges $14 entrance fee for 36 different countries.

False.

The USA doesn't charge a fee to any arriving tourist from any country in the world for health care.

Laos charges on a sliding scale, with us Canucks paying the most $42 but in thai baht closer to $50. Argentina and Chili charge Americans and Canadians $160 to enter. Just google and a lot of countries charge.

Not one country charges a fee to arriving tourists for health care.

Thailand will become the only one in the world if Yingluck's Health Minister gets his way.

Adding a tiny charge for short time visitors or a small 500 baht for those staying over 3 days may weed out a few very poor travellers such as backpackers, riff raff, people who are more likely not to have health insurance. The TAT could easily look upon this as a positive, obviously, and therefore a win-win situation for LOS.

I think you will find it may in fact that there is a large number of the "resident" retired farang population who dont have health insurance in Thailand either, and one assumes at this point in life health insurance would be the most needed in a lot of cases...

but if you wish to call our resident OAP's riff raff, that up to you.

but we come back to the same point again, why should the Thai goverment be charging or providing subsidised medical care for Non-Thai nationals or PR ?....The onus should be on the indiviudal to provide their own adequate medical insurance, which is appropiate for their duration in Thailand, last time I looked Thailand is not a nanny state.

• Like 1

Thing is its ok to pay for it but then you should be entitled to get free healthcare too. Now it looks like they are paying but have no entitlement to anything just to cover people who use healthcare and don't pay. Seems totally wrong to me. If there is some entitlement I am all for it.

• Like 1

Why complain? 500 Baht is super cheap to Farang. It cost about US$100 (3,000 Baht) just to take a taxi from JFK to Time Square in New York.

And you people complain about 500 Baht... OMG.

Of course I complain about it, you don't seem to understand it when you pay that 100$ you get a taxi ride.

Now you pay 500bt but you are entitled to NOTHING.

They should pay this out of their tourism revenue or get the hospitals to make sure they collect the money.

Why bother people with it, they already collect other fees in the tickets this is just a money making thing.

I have health insurance I am paying for something I can't claim and will not claim. It is stupid.

Thailand looks to introduce tourist entry fee in a bid to improve 'quality' of visitors

By TRAVELMAIL REPORTER

PUBLISHED: 10:00 GMT, 21 October 2013 | UPDATED: 10:00 GMT, 21 October 2013

Visitors heading to Thailand for some New Year sunshine could find themselves charged around £40 per family upon arriving in the country by plane.

Thai tourist authorities are said to be considering charging every tourist a 500baht (around £10) fee upon landing for visitors staying for a duration longer than three days. If the bill is passed then fees could be introduced as early as January 1st although travellers crossing land borders into the country would only pay a 30 baht (around 60pence) tax.

Thailand's Public Health Minister Pradit Sintavanarong told the Bangkok Post that officials from the Ministry of Tourism and Sports, the Ministry of Public Health and the Royal Thai Police were in agreement that the fee should be introduced.

-- Mail Online 2013-10-21

Thailand Tourism Entry Fee Aims To Bring In 'Quality Tourists'
The Huffington Post Canada | Posted: 10/21/2013 1:10 pm EDT | Updated: 10/21/2013 3:33 pm EDT
If you're planning a trip to Thailand, sooner might be better than later if a group of politicians have their way.
Ministers inside the country's Ministry of Tourism and Sports, Ministry of Public Health and members of the Royal Thai Police announced on Sunday plans to charge tourists an entrance fee to enter the Southeast Asian country.
The proposed fee is pegged at 500 Thai Baht, roughly $16.55 per visitor staying in the country longer than three days the Daily Mail reports.

How about a 500 baht "exit" fee, to cover admin costs incurred checking whether you have any unpaid hospital bills?

Thailand had that in 2002 +, @ 500 Bhat exit fee, and then got added to the Air Fares,now it's been resurrected in another form,you are not supposed to notice,they now want you to pay again!

How about a 500 baht "exit" fee, to cover admin costs incurred checking whether you have any unpaid hospital bills?

Thailand had that in 2002 +, @ 500 Bhat exit fee, and then got added to the Air Fares,now it's been resurrected in another form,you are not supposed to notice,they now want you to pay again!

Prices go up due to inflation, increased wages & minimum wages, added services, etc. I don't pay as little for food, rent or medical costs in 2013 as i did in 2002.

If more "tourist police" are added to the force, the money to pay them has to cum from somewhere.

If you have a life threatening injury would you prefer the authorities impose a pay first policy?

Edited by oldthaihand99

Prices go up due to inflation, increased wages & minimum wages, added services, etc. I don't pay as little for food, rent or medical costs in 2013 as i did in 2002.

If more "tourist police" are added to the force, the money to pay them has to cum from somewhere.

If you have a life threatening injury would you prefer the authorities impose a pay first policy?

We are not discussing the natural increase of inflation and in consumer price increases such as taxes,wages,fuel,materials,goods etc etc.

The Government has made a statement that Tourists are costing Thailand,money for Health Services,(what services?) which appear up to now to be non existent services and potential charges,which if implemented,will bring in huge amounts.Tourists pay their own Health Fees,either from their own pockets,Health Insurance,Relatives back home,Friends.

As for a pay first for Medical care in Thailand,to be seriously ill in Thailand,with no money,I would not wish on my worst enemy,so do not concern yourself, that Thailand will ever be the loser,of their inflated "Farang Medical" fees,which is highly unlikely. And if more "Tourists Police" are needed then surely it would mean an increase in Tourists,the increase in Revenue of which,would finance the necessity of more Police.

Edited by MAJIC

Why complain? 500 Baht is super cheap to Farang. It cost about US$100 (3,000 Baht) just to take a taxi from JFK to Time Square in New York.

And you people complain about 500 Baht... OMG.

Of course I complain about it, you don't seem to understand it when you pay that 100$ you get a taxi ride.

Now you pay 500bt but you are entitled to NOTHING.

They should pay this out of their tourism revenue or get the hospitals to make sure they collect the money.

Why bother people with it, they already collect other fees in the tickets this is just a money making thing.

I have health insurance I am paying for something I can't claim and will not claim. It is stupid.

does this mean every one who arrives at swampy has to pay whether they have ins.cover or not.

if they prove they have cover,who is going to do this? get in the queue will you,passport,ins.policy and embarkment card at the ready,this is your captain speaking will all passengers please remain in their seats while immigration clears the queues.

or will m.o.p.h put the collecting of the fee out to tender? cheesy.gif

We are not discussing the natural increase of inflation and in consumer price increases such as taxes,wages,fuel,materials,goods etc etc.

The Government has made a statement that Tourists are costing Thailand,money for Health Services,(what services?) which appear up to now to be non existent services and potential charges,which if implemented,will bring in huge amounts.Tourists pay their own Health Fees,either from their own pockets,Health Insurance,Relatives back home,Friends.

As for a pay first for Medical care in Thailand,to be seriously ill in Thailand,with no money,I would not wish on my worst enemy,so do not concern yourself, that Thailand will ever be the loser,of their inflated "Farang Medical" fees,which is highly unlikely. And if more "Tourists Police" are needed then surely it would mean an increase in Tourists,the increase in Revenue of which,would finance the necessity of more Police.

All the reasons for the entry fee were not detailed. Inflation is an obvious one.

Obviously many tourists don't pay their own hospital bills, e.g. some of those brought in with life threatening injuries who die before paying, just like those foreigners who purposely leave town without paying their hotel bills.

Edited by oldthaihand99

This is being reported in the foreign press as an entrance fee. Nothing about it being insurance and proceeds would be spread around various ministries.

So the BS about uninsured tourists turns out out to be the ruse it was all along.

Shame so many posts discussing that issue were completely wasted. It has nothing to do with health care and is just a money churning device, now under a different ruse of discouraging less well off tourists.

The Hub of Ruses. :bah:

• Like 1

This is pathetic! Just another chance to exploit the tourists who love and apreciate this country. So the billions of THB income generated by tourist every year doesnt count for anything? This is really a new low for Thailand. Who cares about 500 THB..? But on principle the health minister should be ashamed of himself, and should be repremanded for his choice of words.

Embarrasing!!

• Like 1

It's a tax increase.

So says today's article in the newspaper that we can't link to.

Some of it will go to fund health care for foreigners that can't or won't or didn't pay. Some of it will go to airplane tickets to deport the foreigners who need to leave at the request of the government and can't or won't pay.

Proceeds will go into the general fund and be doled out according to some yet to be decided scheme.

$17 tax increase for visiting Thailand. If that's going to change anyone's travel decisions, I'm pretty sure they don't really care. That's not their target demographic.

To those who live here on the edge of their financial abilities, it sucks. But inflation is a fact of life whether it's taxes, food, rent, or whatever.

They probably should have just announced a 500 baht tax increase and left all the controversy out of it.

Then they should have separately announced magnanimous improvements in service to foreigners to include emergency medical treatment in cases of indigence and no insurance. And no more staying in jail until you can afford a ticket home, we'll fly you there (with a blacklist in your passport if we do have to fund your deportation) Still beats the crap out of rotting in jail.

And I'm pretty sure the coverage is just to get a patient stable enough to fly them out of the country back home for the real treatment. I'm not envisioning years of cancer treatment or liver transplants under the coverage.

The way I see it, I'd be happy to pay the 500 baht just to know that, if my wallet goes missing and I end up unconscious in a hospital, the doctors aren't wondering whether they'll get paid for treating me. I could die long before they find out I have excellent employer provided health care here in Thailand.

Not that I have any choice since it's really just a tax increase.

Edited by impulse

It would appear the current Cabinet has been instructed to come up with ideas to raise revenue, as a reward, they get to decide how and where to spend it.

They have used up a large part of Thailand's line of credit as far as more monies to play with are concerned. A couple bond ideas did not find takers, They have been caught out in more lies and made up figures that their crediability has sunk to a new low. The support numbers are sure to follow this downward trend, if they don't throw out more scraps to the hungary beasts.

They have been portraying farang as the villians with headlines in papers, numbers thrown out by those who do their bidding. for quite some time. What better group to go after to increase revenue, than tourist. Yhey can't vote, and they expect scams in Thailand anyway.

• Like 1

they say it's because some foreiner cannot pay the public hospital fee

has anyone not paid in a public hospital ?...they have your name passport or driving licence copy,,,

i 'd like to try see what happens

My friend has just flown back to the UK for an operation, only having spent 1 out of 4 weeks. He went to AEK hospital in Udon, they charged him 20,000 bht deposit before treatment, saw 3 doctors--ex rays etc, they recommended Khon Khen public hospital for operation, we were in AEU, they said 5000 bht for 1 way ambulance, and between 100,000 and 200,000 for op. When asked when will they operate -they don't know-

to sum up got a flight straight away to UK. surgeon said it was a long time ago when he last saw x-rays that dated.

Now they want people to pay top prices with outdated x ray equip. This is a top INTERNATIONAL THAI hospital. in UDON, and you have to be treated in Khon Khen public hospital-amazing.

sum up- money up front, out dated equp, no surgeon.

To pay on entry for medical-or some expence to re-coup fees lost ???? how can they treat people who don't pay, when you have to pay in advance ?? no uniformity.

This tax on entry is another grab---TAT approval ???

My friend has just flown back to the UK for an operation, only having spent 1 out of 4 weeks. He went to AEK hospital in Udon, they charged him 20,000 bht deposit before treatment, saw 3 doctors--ex rays etc,

how can they treat people who don't pay, when you have to pay in advance ?? no uniformity.

Your friend went in for non-emergency treatment.

I'd like to think that if I, or someone I cared about were brought unconscious into a hospital after a car wreck, they'd treat me first, then I'd make restitution later.

I'm sure some of the unconscious foreign victims can't pay after their lives have been saved.

I doubt the 500 baht plan is designed to cover non-emergency cases like your friend anyway.

Edited by impulse

This is being reported in the foreign press as an entrance fee. Nothing about it being insurance and proceeds would be spread around various ministries.

At least they haven't fallen for it.

Just found the coverage of it in a Swiss newspaper. Assumption is that the fees will be used to cover unpaid hospital bills and NOT invest it into tourist area... and laughing about the idea that it could have anything to to with tracking overstayers...