Bangkok Taxi Story

IMA_FARANG

Our experience after 3 weeks in Bangkok is that the biggest problem is taxi drivers cherry picking fares - it can take 3 to 5 attempts to get a driver to take us where we want to go. Of the guys that do accept our fare, we have not yet experienced anything except friendliness and good manners. Of course the fact that my wife speaks Thai helps and the son and heir is a source of constant interest. No one has asked to go 'off meter' and all have seemed happy with the 20-30 baht tip on top of the meter fare. With my 6 year old being over 1m 20cm, he has to pay full fare on the Skytrain which means it costs us 126 baht to go from Victory Monument to Phrom Pong compared with 100 Baht with tip from our apartment to The Londoner. No brainer really!

There are about 80-90% of Thai's that are good like that, about the same in other places in the world. I had never had an issue in the past with taxi's here, until the past 3 months, other than them not wanting the fare. Then had 3 in a row try to rip me off.

Sent from my HUAWEI P6-U06 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Our experience after 3 weeks in Bangkok is that the biggest problem is taxi drivers cherry picking fares - it can take 3 to 5 attempts to get a driver to take us where we want to go. Of the guys that do accept our fare, we have not yet experienced anything except friendliness and good manners. Of course the fact that my wife speaks Thai helps and the son and heir is a source of constant interest. No one has asked to go 'off meter' and all have seemed happy with the 20-30 baht tip on top of the meter fare.

Why are you tipping on top of the taxi fare? Are you mad? Tipping taxi drivers is absolutely not required in Thailand.

"Required" or not, although I'm not adverse to tipping, in the case of most taxi rides, tipping is, literally, money for nothing.

Unlike many western countries, where drivers work for the company, Bangkok drivers rent a taxi and, pretty much, work for themselves. The amount shown on the meter goes into their pockets. You have already paid them for the service they provided. If they have done something exceptional, then a tip might be in order.

Foreigners tipping drivers has created the environment where these drivers pass on regular fares to hunt down tipping foreigners.

Our experience after 3 weeks in Bangkok is that the biggest problem is taxi drivers cherry picking fares - it can take 3 to 5 attempts to get a driver to take us where we want to go. Of the guys that do accept our fare, we have not yet experienced anything except friendliness and good manners. Of course the fact that my wife speaks Thai helps and the son and heir is a source of constant interest. No one has asked to go 'off meter' and all have seemed happy with the 20-30 baht tip on top of the meter fare. With my 6 year old being over 1m 20cm, he has to pay full fare on the Skytrain which means it costs us 126 baht to go from Victory Monument to Phrom Pong compared with 100 Baht with tip from our apartment to The Londoner. No brainer really!

If you use the skytrain often, you can buy 25 trips for 625 baht, which comes to 25 baht per trip. But it's limited to one month, so if you don't use it, you lose it.

Edited by soomak

"Required" or not, although I'm not adverse to tipping, in the case of most taxi rides, tipping is, literally, money for nothing.

Unlike many western countries, where drivers work for the company, Bangkok drivers rent a taxi and, pretty much, work for themselves. The amount shown on the meter goes into their pockets. You have already paid them for the service they provided. If they have done something exceptional, then a tip might be in order.

Foreigners tipping drivers has created the environment where these drivers pass on regular fares to hunt down tipping foreigners.

There are is incorrect statement here.

Not all drivers rent a taxi, most do yes. However, of the just under 90K legally registered taxis in BKK , around 20K-22K are owner driver taxis, ie. not companies. These are the yellow & green dual colour taxis or the, usually older, blue & red duel coloured ones.

Hiring a company taxi for a 12 hr shift is usually 4-500 baht for an old taxi, 6-700 for a semi old and around 8-1K for a brand spanking new taxi depending on a few factors.

Tipping should not be expected and it is right to say that a culture of expectation with foreigners has been created leading to worse service issues. By regulation taxis drivers are not allowed to cherry pick and refuse a destination request unless it is towards the end of their shift. By practice, we know that the norm is the opposite - often more so for thais.

Rounding up to the nearest 5 or 10 is normal even for a large fare. Even rounding down is normal, many thais do it. Tip if the service has been excellent or exceptional as was stated above.

For all the woes one hears, the majority of taxi drivers make sufficient money hence why they CHOSE NOT to work in factories, restaurants or the like for 300 baht a day. (Has anyone ever taken a taxi anywhere in the world where a driver says that the job is great & money is good?) Excessive tipping has only lead to excessive expectations of taking the ignorant for an easy ride (pun intended).

Each taxi trip is unique and no two will ever be the same, a trip should be merited accordingly.

Edited by Lakegeneve

Our experience after 3 weeks in Bangkok is that the biggest problem is taxi drivers cherry picking fares - it can take 3 to 5 attempts to get a driver to take us where we want to go. Of the guys that do accept our fare, we have not yet experienced anything except friendliness and good manners. Of course the fact that my wife speaks Thai helps and the son and heir is a source of constant interest. No one has asked to go 'off meter' and all have seemed happy with the 20-30 baht tip on top of the meter fare.

Why are you tipping on top of the taxi fare? Are you mad? Tipping taxi drivers is absolutely not required in Thailand.

I see no reason why one shouldn't tip a taxi driver has done a good job. I always make sure they get a small tip, if they are polite, go the correct way and don't drive like an idiot.

I see no reason why one shouldn't tip a taxi driver has done a good job. I always make sure they get a small tip, if they are polite, go the correct way and don't drive like an idiot.

I agree but only to the extent that a good job should be the norm not an exception and thus not really in need of a tip. An exceptional job can be recognised by a tip if appropriate. If peoples minimal tipping standard is just doing a good job then standards are low and you'll be tipping all the time. Which of course you are free to do....

That is just not true! I get refused journeys just as often as I see Thais getting refused journeys!

AND - taxi fares in [the non-tourist areas of] Thailand are incredibly cheap and I know from chatting to the drivers that it is a constant struggle for them to make ends meet. A reasonable tip is no big deal for most of us

Tipping is. indeed, money for nothing. The fare is paid to them, not "the company".

I, too, chat with drivers and owners. I happen to live next to a taxi shop. I know the owner and many of the drivers. They spend little time hawking downtown and make a pretty good living.

Yes, they bitch about their "condition". But, compared to many others around them, they are doing well.

I suppose the fact that I was a taxi driver for a while in London, means I empathise with how hard these guys work. I think the taxi fares in Bangkok are unbelievably low and maybe I exaggerated a little about my tipping: Usually I tip 15-20 Baht (ie rounding up to the nearest paper note). 30 baht is for a very helpful driver. If I get 'cherry-picked' as a foreigner because we tend to tip - I'm not complaining. Get's me to the pub more quickly!

Thanks for the heads up on the stored value tickets Soomak. I don't think we're using Skytrain enough at the moment, as you said, but your info is worth bearing in mind if our circumstances change. Two questions: is the 25 baht per journey for any length of ride? Ie: Mo Chit to Baring would be the same cost as Siam to Asok. Also is the ticket transferable - could my wife use it during the week and me at weekends?

My cousin drove in the San Francisco Bay area. He was paid a meager salary.

In Bangkok, the drivers aren't paid a salary. They lease the car and keep the money they run up in fares. Some actually even own the taxi. They are more businessmen than employees.

Edited by Curt1591

Posted Image Today 21 October 2013.

This happened to me today,

Took a taxi today out to a small soi off Sathorn road.

Had the address written in Thai by the hotel receptionist so the driver could read it .... frankly my Thai pronunciation is terrible. I can never get those tones correct.

Anyhow the driver assured me in English he knew exactly where the address was.

We came to the turnoff for the soi, and he drove right by it.

He was going to fast to turn safely and there was traffic on the road.

He had to make a U-turn about 200 meters further down the road (one way street) and then go around again.

The detour (U-turn) added 40 baht to the fare ... I figured I'd have to pay for the extra caused by that U-turn he made,

When we got there at the address he wouldn't take the 40 Baht extra,

he told me, in good English, that it was his mistake, he was driving to fast on the highway, and that's why he missed the turn.

So he wouldn't charge me that extra 40 Baht as it was his mistake that caused it.

He wouldn't even accept it as a tip... said it was his fault. So no cost for me because of his mistake.

Frankly, I was amazed.

So, you see, there are at least some honest and thoughtful taxi drivers in Bangkok.

Posted Image

If only all of them would take a leaf from his book. Boggles my mind not all but alot of Thais rely on tourism. But constantly do the wrong thing not smart business. Good to hear something like this

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

My best mate is a taxi driver in London...tough job..always tip well on that basis..I don't think the price has gone up here in 7 years..

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I was a taxi driver in London too.RayongChelsea Not 'Taxi Royalty' as a black cab driver, but the lowest of the low - a mini cab driver! I only did it for a year. It was poorly paid and long hours, but most of the punters were great people and I certainly learned about many areas of London - which is still a great city. Many Bangkok taxi drivers are from the Isaan or the north and don't really know their way around town all that well. Even after 4 weeks in Bangkok I find I'm telling them the routes rather than them knowing.

As for Curt1591 suggestion that the drivers are 'more businessman than employees' I wonder! I bet the vast majority don't own their cabs but lease them and it will be the fat cat leaser that makes all the money (as it was in London, although the fat cat who owned my firm was quite a nice guy!) I'd be interested to know how much they pay in rent per week. Then most of them rent a radio for extra business and that costs too. OK the LPG they run on is cheap but I bet they're not making a huge amount of money. Anyway, I'm going to carry on giving them a small tip per ride and hope that makes them more likely to pick up foreigners!!

BTW RayongChelsea, My (Thai) wife worked in a hairdressing salon in Chelsea. Very nice! Many of her customers lived in 'The Boltons' reputed to be the most expensive real estate in London. We didn't live anywhere so nice - New Cross SE14. I liked it though!

Edited by millwall_fan

The drivers do lease their cars from an owner; the vast majority don't own the car. The car rents for around 1,000~1,200 baht per shift.

They lease the car, buy the fuel, and work for their fares. They don't pay the insurance, maintenance, or incur many of the other expenses of ownership.

Now, they don't reside in a Sukhumvit condo, don't dine at Tony Romas, and don't take many holidays. But, compared to many other Thais, they do fairly well.

I think the mistake many make is that they compare others to their own position. Thailand is Thailand and Thais are Thais. We ain't in Kansas, Dorothy ...

The taxi drivers I have spoken to over the years don't make that much..costs have increased massively, whereas income hasn't,so has the traffic and stress. Tip them decent if the service is good..relative to everything else that has sky rocketed..taxis have stayed pretty constant, actually they have gone down compared to what was paid pre- meter days..

The drivers do lease their cars from an owner; the vast majority don't own the car. The car rents for around 1,000~1,200 baht per shift.

I never heard one tell us they rent for more than 800, maybe they want you to feel sorry for them in order to get a tip?

I never heard one tell us they rent for more than 800, maybe they want you to feel sorry for them in order to get a tip?

Both of you are correct, just read post #10...

Hiring a company taxi for a 12 hr shift is usually 4-500 baht for an old taxi, 6-700 for a semi old and around 8-1K for a brand spanking new taxi depending on a few factors.

The taxi drivers I have spoken to over the years don't make that much..costs have increased massively, whereas income hasn't,so has the traffic and stress. Tip them decent if the service is good..relative to everything else that has sky rocketed..taxis have stayed pretty constant, actually they have gone down compared to what was paid pre- meter days..

Whenever I chat with my buddy, a dentist, he always complains about how hard it is to make a decent living!

Perspective!

Edited by Curt1591

My premise is that tipping a Thai taxi driver, for taking you from here, to there, is, literally, money for nothing. You are paying the driver the metered fare. That is what the driver earns. Few are getting rich. But, most do better than so many other Thai workers.

Should we add money for that bowl of noodles? The cook probably has a hard tim making a go of it.

How about those poor store clerks? Most make less than 300 baht per day. How can they get by on that?

If you have lived here, for 20 years, then you know that "tipping" has been something imported. It is not a Thai concept.

I've only lived here since 2007. But, I have been hanging out here since the 90s. My only friends, here, are Thai. Many taxi drivers are my neighbors.

For perspective? Some people don't do internet at all, while others access it from iPads and smart phones.

Tipping for all services, and tipping all poor workers, follows your logic, not mine.

Not if have. First came here 1978.

Yes it is imported, but Thais have always tipped a few baht, rounding of a fare etc..it's not exclusively foreign.

The 10% on the bill thingy I have had to adjust to thanks to so many farangs living here, but then so much has changed because of the mass immigration of westerners etc..( good and bad),

Don't tip if you don't want to..but I am sure that anybody who shows someone else some appreciation is a good thing..tipping or otherwise.

Anyway I will always continue to tip and I am sure you will not..end of.