Some foreigners need to have some pride in their appearance when being at Chiang Mai Immigration.

khunjerrybkk

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its funny but the people who walk about looking like a sack of ---- are normaly to pissed to realise it blink.png

I always try and look smart enough for immigration. I see some guys looking an absolute mess and appear still to be drunk etc. Can't be a good idea.

Then you get the guys who argue about everything even when they are wrong and haven't done things properly.

One bloke I witnessed at BKK Immi the other week get into an argument about getting his change.They give you your change back when you get your visa and not immediately when you pay.

This wasn't good enough for him he demanded that he get it now and banged on about how in 'his' country (failing to realize that this is not his country) when you pay you get change immediately and he knew fine well that was the process here too (wrong!).

Why get into this sort of argument with someone who has the power to get you kicked out the country over 100B that he WAS going to get back?

I haven't read all 8 pages of this (and I won't) but I'm one of the believers in dressing nicely when visiting government offices in Thailand. Thais from each and every level of society shower and put on nice, clean, pressed clothing when visiting government offices, out of respect. It's a small thing to do as a guest in their country to show respect to their very old custom. When I go to Immigration I often see foreigners there who have not showered or shaved in days, are wearing tank tops and old army type cargo shorts showing off their tattoos. Some single men are there reeking of alcohol and tobacco, with bar girls they met the night before with their hair still messed up and wearing their evening clothing. It's really rude! At C.M. Immigration I've also seen a Japanese man wearing pink, "mini" spandex shorts as well as gay farangs wearing mini spandex shorts.

I mean when applying for visa extensions. I too, dress casual when going for 30-day reports.

Edited by elektrified
  • Like 2

Thai government offices in general, and Immigration posts in particular, appear not to be guided by the same Operations Procedure Manual. Each office seems to run its own empire, and public servants revel in the independent power they yield over customers, especially farang.

Whenever I go to a Thai government office where a positive or negative outcome to my enquiry can rest in the hands of some smart @rse official who enjoys dicking customers around, I always go in clean shaven, and wear my 2006 King's 60th year anniversary polo shirt. It may not help much, but it certainly won't hurt.

You only get one chance to make a first impression.

• Like 1

I mean when applying for visa extensions. I too, dress casual when going for 30-day reports.

Is this some sort of new requirement or does it apply to certain nationalities and certain visa's w00t.gif

Possibly it is a banana finger typo?.cheesy.gif

Normal report time is or was 90 dayswai2.gif

Thai government offices in general, and Immigration posts in particular, appear not to be guided by the same Operations Procedure Manual. Each office seems to run its own empire, and public servants revel in the independent power they yield over customers, especially farang.

Whenever I go to a Thai government office where a positive or negative outcome to my enquiry can rest in the hands of some smart @rse official who enjoys dicking customers around, I always go in clean shaven, and wear my 2006 King's 60th year anniversary polo shirt. It may not help much, but it certainly won't hurt.

You only get one chance to make a first impression.

So you are remembered as the guy that hasn't changed his shirt for 7 years!giggle.gif

• Like 1

I don't think it has anything to do with whether it's a government building or whether we are 'guests in this country' or not.

If you dress like a slob, then you most probably are a slob and with the grey matter to match. What's the point of trying to change these people?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I don't think it has anything to do with whether it's a government building or whether we are 'guests in this country' or not.

If you dress like a slob, then you most probably are a slob and with the grey matter to match. What's the point of trying to change these people?

I hate it when you strike up a conversation with some smartly dressed bloke, and it turns out he's an ignorant know-nothing slob out of uniform on his day off. I think people who look smarter than they really are should be prosecuted for fraud

SC

• Like 1

I hate it when you strike up a conversation with some smartly dressed bloke, and it turns out he's an ignorant know-nothing slob out of uniform on his day off.  I think people who look smarter than they really are should be prosecuted for fraud

SC

Are you in the habit of striking up conversations with smartly dressed blokes. Not every smartly dressed bloke is a rugby fan you know - worth trying though I suppose, as there's not much on TV

I hate it when you strike up a conversation with some smartly dressed bloke, and it turns out he's an ignorant know-nothing slob out of uniform on his day off. I think people who look smarter than they really are should be prosecuted for fraud

SC

Are you in the habit of striking up conversations with smartly dressed blokes. Not every smartly dressed bloke is a rugby fan you know - worth trying though I suppose, as there's not much on TV

Normally they run a mile as soon as I approach them, which is why I was asking about getting Chang stains out of my singlet.

SC

I hate it when you strike up a conversation with some smartly dressed bloke, and it turns out he's an ignorant know-nothing slob out of uniform on his day off.  I think people who look smarter than they really are should be prosecuted for fraud

SC

Normally they run a mile as soon as I approach them, which is why I was asking about getting Chang stains out of my singlet.

SC

Try soaking overnight in a solution of Vixol - works on my oxfam collection

More grey matter needed.....

SC

SC

hmm.....another quality foreigner in the LOS? Not.

Agree with the post.

We are guests in this country and should represent ourselves appropriately. Clearly the eponymous 'HeavyDrinker' is doing his best to uphold stereotypes so the rest of need to work harder to counter this.

A government building deserves your respect in any country.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app[/quote

No country in the world deseves respect,have a look at the place,and especially not an inate object.

<We are guests in this country>

ENOUGH ALREADY!

A guest does NOT have to PAY to be staying somewhere.

Like all the other farang VISITORS, I pay a lot to be here, so please, please stop with the BS.

Panama Hats!

The OP is right, from now on we should all dress as though we are the man from delmonte when visiting immigration to show authorities we are indeed all quality foreigners.

Bonus points for a light leather briefcase.

hmm.....another quality foreigner in the LOS? Not.

Agree with the post.

We are guests in this country and should represent ourselves appropriately. Clearly the eponymous 'HeavyDrinker' is doing his best to uphold stereotypes so the rest of need to work harder to counter this.

A government building deserves your respect in any country.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app[/quote

No country in the world deseves respect,have a look at the place,and especially not an inate object.

<We are guests in this country>

ENOUGH ALREADY!

A guest does NOT have to PAY to be staying somewhere.

Like all the other farang VISITORS, I pay a lot to be here, so please, please stop with the BS.

Personal insults are not "on topic".

The only reason I would put a proper shirt on for officious meetings is that it is very difficult to get it wrong.

Unlike a T-shirt which can be inside-out AND back-to-front without me noticing....................sad.png

Reading some of the posts here though, I'm sure there would be someone who would point it out for me................tongue.png

the fact is he's a guest in thailand. he can be asked to leave at any time.

A guest suggests you were invited, instead of arrived of your own bat.

No one invited me, and beyond my wife, not too many extended me an overwhelming amount of hospitality.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 2