Thai airports to raise passenger service charge

webfact

The PSC in the UK ranges from £13 to £188 depending on distance and class of travel so 800bt seems quite a bargain.

But the UK is not competing with Thailand for visitors; Thailand is competing with countries like Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, the Philippines and now Myanmar.

and you think it will make a difference ... get real. Would 100 Baht stop you coming?

Get it right the 100 baht is domestic not international.

I did get it right, I live here so the International charge doesnt affect me...oh sorry your a tourist,well if its too much to pay you still have what is called freedom of choice...and can go somewhere else

Now isn't that enlightening. Another variation on the all-you-thai-haters-should-leave wisdom.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Now isn't that enlightening. Another variation on the all-you-thai-haters-should-leave wisdom". says Hawker9000

You're getting paranoid mate

No one is saying anyone should leave, just pointing out everyone has a choice, you pay your money and make your choice!

Edited by Tafia

"Now isn't that enlightening. Another variation on the all-you-thai-haters-should-leave wisdom". says Hawker9000

No one is saying anyone should leave, just pointing out everyone has a choice, you pay your money and make your choice!

Nice try, mate. You're (trying to) mince words. Telling those who don't live here that they can go elsewhere, and those who happen to that they can leave, are identical sentiments (and I think you know it).

Thailand just becomes a bigger and bigger ripoff of everyone who comes here. The greed that governs this country is gone wild.

Yeah its gone up a whole 100 Baht where will it end cheesy.gif

The level of sarcasm and understanding by some Thai Visa contributors is as poor as ever!

It may only be B100 increase per person Mr Tafia...but with a predicted increase of 13.5 million travelers using AOT in the coming year, it certainly does not add up to 'peanuts'.

Why bother making a comment at all if you've nothing sensible to add.

and how does that affect you? you will only pay 100 THB extra, why do you concern yourself with something you have no control over, if you consider it a rip off go somewhere else...vote with your feet!!

Nice try, mate. You're (trying to) mince words. Telling those who don't live here that they can go elsewhere, and those who happen to that they can leave, are identical sentiments (and I think you know it).

If you didn't understand what I said I can't help you....you read into it anything you wish, But I know what I meant!!

I'm a little confused ? Are these airport taxes already in place ? And if so are they already included in the ticket price as I have been in and out of Suvarnabhumi, three times the last month and I've not had to pay any hard cash.

A lot of fees are in the ticket price as you can see from the breakdown under. It is interesting to see that the Japanese fees are less than the Thai fees

Fare 2 ¥33,000

Carrier MU I1YDBZ BKK-TYO

Passenger type ADT

ROUND-TRIP fare

Booking code I (business) covers:

BKK-PVG

PVG-NRT

People's Republic of China Airport Fee (CN) ¥1,480

MU YQ surcharge (YQ) ¥400

Japan International Passenger Facility Charge (SW) ¥2,000

Passenger Security Service Charge (OI) ¥100

MU YQ surcharge (YQ) ¥9,340

People's Republic of China Airport Fee (CN) ¥1,480

Thailand Passenger Service Charge (TS) ¥2,260

MU YQ surcharge (YQ) ¥9,340

Cost per passenger ¥93,600

Airlines just need to shitcan their fuel surcharges and this 100 baht rise becomes irrelevant... Not that 100 is relevant, especially given the TAT's penchant for "quality tourists"

Let them eat cake!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I believe the article said it was to help improve the airports with opuit going in to debt. If they go in to debt to do it it will cost interest plus expenses.

common sense.

The PSC in the UK ranges from £13 to £188 depending on distance and class of travel so 800bt seems quite a bargain.

But the UK is not competing with Thailand for visitors; Thailand is competing with countries like Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, the Philippines and now Myanmar.

No they are not....not even in the same league. Thailand is competing with the Hawaii's, Mexico's, Caribbean's, Malaysia and Bali's of the world as a major tourist destination. And Thailand has a long way to go to over price itself above those countries.

Check first the service charges on other airports,like Australia,Singapore,London and then complain.

They are even higher.

You cannot compare service charges against countries where the cost of everything is substantially higher - comparisons based on similar economies is fairer.

However fair and unfair are very subjective words - is it "fair" that wealthy people come to Thailand, enjoy 4 and 5* accommodations at a much lower cost than in the West - based on the lower living standards of the average Thai - and then haggle every last baht they spend? Remember that even going to a pizza hut for a meal that the people serving that food do not earn enough to eat there themselves!

Check first the service charges on other airports,like Australia,Singapore,London and then complain.

They are even higher.

You cannot compare service charges against countries where the cost of everything is substantially higher - comparisons based on similar economies is fairer.

However fair and unfair are very subjective words - is it "fair" that wealthy people come to Thailand, enjoy 4 and 5* accommodations at a much lower cost than in the West - based on the lower living standards of the average Thai - and then haggle every last baht they spend? Remember that even going to a pizza hut for a meal that the people serving that food do not earn enough to eat there themselves!

gawd, lord have mercy on us all. Another flat earther.

Do you think that the operation of the maintencne of an airport to sufficent standards and quality required by international travellers comes at a cheaper just cause it is in Thailand?

and you think it will make a difference ... get real. Would 100 Baht stop you coming?

The extra 100 baht is for leaving Taff, and will be hidden in the air ticket price with the other 700. The proposed "entrance" fee is 500 baht.

I doubt people will stop coming in masses over this. A few might moan at having to pay at the airport on arrival ( a nice "cash" earner for the regime), but won't even notice the exit fee. I also doubt that this will ensure that only quality tourists and longer term expats will come, as certain Thai agencies seem to do.

I use the airports a lot here - and too be honest, they're usually pretty good. I can think of a lot worse, many of which are in so called first world countries !

Edited by Baerboxer

I learned very early in life not to worry or concern myself with things I have no control over, lends itself to a stress free existence.

+1

I like my Dad's way of describing it:

Don't worry about it.

If you can change it, then get off your pity pot and change it instead of worrying about it.

If you can't change it, worrying isn't going to make it any better.

It's not about apathy, or defeatism. It frees up time and energy for the things we can make better.

Edited by impulse

Sorry but I think you will lose from this, A family of 4 person's must pay 3.200 bht

Chris - a family of 4 already pays 2,800 bht. This cost is part of the costs that make up all the costs that you pay when purchasing an air ticket. The new rate increases each passengers charge from 700 baht to 800 baht for international flights. I suggest most families planning an holiday to Thailand will focus on the total cost of the air tickets, hotels, budget for food, entertainment etc when planning their holidays and not really analyse the cost make up of the air ticket when comparing rival destinations. Do you really think and extra 100 baht would make the difference?

The 500 baht "entrance" fee being proposed will be more likely to annoy people because they may loose time paying for it. Bit like going into Bahrain now, but cheaper. It's not the cost so much as the inconvenience.

The ones it will discourage are the "quality" tourists they seek - mother and father and 3 kids, who now have to pay an extra 500 baht to enter the country. This compounded with the other increases in costs as suggested by another poster at the beginning of the topic compound to begin to make it a less-attractive destination than those directly competing with Thailand for "quality" tourists.

Compound this with the proposed 500 baht per person entry fee, and this "quality" family are looking at an over 3000 baht increase in the cost of their family trip - at least 2 nights accommodation. Not a small consideration for many middle class western families.

Edited by TheGhostWithin

Thailand just becomes a bigger and bigger ripoff of everyone who comes here. The greed that governs this country is gone wild.

Look at it as a %age

100% of bugger all is...?

The UK passenger service charge for Bangok-bound pax is maybe around 25000 baht now?

On a return fare of how much???

It isn't the 100 or 500 baht that concerns me. It is the 4.5+ billion baht (100 baht airport charge paid by more than 45 million travelers including domestic) and 12.5 billion baht medical tax paid by 25 million tourists. That's 17+ billion baht from those increases and where will it go?

Thailand is well known for being the land of corruption and scams. Will the 17+ billion baht actually go to the government and be used to provide increased benefits for people or will it be quietly siphoned off for "deserving" government officials, party members and their friends?

This..

I don't have a problem with a government generating tax revenue for necessary causes.. It's a matter of where that money goes.

Comparisons with any European/Farang country's airport fees needs to consider both the actual cost of services provided but also the level and quality of those services.

I suggest that given cost of provision and passenger traffic Thai airports are making a better profit margin than Western airports.

However there is inflation costs that mean prices seldom remain the same for ever.

I wouldn't worry too much. My girlfriend is applying for a visa in Bangkok to visit me in Australia for 10 days. The cost? 4800 baht! Australia must come close to being the number one rip off country in the world.

No....Australia is not close to being number one, it's arrived long ago!

I have no issue with any increase in fees, taxes, etc....provided they are justified and used appropriately. Therein lies the problem, not only in Thailand but in every country.

Yeah its gone up a whole 100 Baht where will it end cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20>

Look at it as a %age

100% of bugger all is...?

The UK passenger service charge for Bangok-bound pax is maybe around 25000 baht now?

No it's about GBP122 from Heathrow, less from other airports tax was GBP83 on my ticket last month + a LHR charge whatever that is for. Makes 800 baht look cheap but it's still not 25000 baht yet. It's about just under 6000 baht

IT seriously will not affect anyone flying long haul , An extra 100 bt hidden and forgotten in the cost of a 40,000 bt return ticket .

It may well have more impact on the domestic market , an extra 100bt each way between BKK and, say, Udon would cost a family of 4 an extra 800bt and the trip may not be considered "worthwhile " anymore.

Domestic routes/ frequencies and passenger figures have rocketed recently , this may help to apply the brakes .

Expect more Thai's to stay at home ,or take to the roads .

Need to clarify if the 100 bt domestic increase only applies to Bkk .....regional airports usually being cheaper , therefore a 100% increase would not necessarily equate to 100bt.

Yeah its gone up a whole 100 Baht where will it end cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20>

from 100 to 200 Baht is a 100 % increase.

Gasoline is similar

Beer is expensive

Wine is crazy expensive

...and what happens when asian countries unite like eu...i have talked about this with many thais, they believe things get easier and cheaper...ahhh

Well in the EU thing got easier and cheaper, until it developed this big fat head in brussel.....I think the asian don't want to unite the same way as the EU did. At least I hope that.

Comparisons with any European/Farang country's airport fees needs to consider both the actual cost of services provided but also the level and quality of those services.

I suggest that given cost of provision and passenger traffic Thai airports are making a better profit margin than Western airports.

However there is inflation costs that mean prices seldom remain the same for ever.

I doubt that the profit is much better, terrible corruption and way too much staff might kill a lot of the possible profit.

Get it right the 100 baht is domestic not international.

There's a 100 baht increase on BOTH domestic and international.

Yes that might be funny to you, but an increase of 14% in 3 years where the inflation rate is very low, is just a ripoff. The airports make billions from the shops and restaurants already.

As has been said elsewhere the PSC hasn't risen since around 2007 so that's 14% over 6 years - around 3% a year.

I agree BUT: first the proposed tourist charge of THN 500.00, the increase in taxes on booze, now this. Thailand IS becoming expensive.

I am not complaining though as I work in a hotel in Cambodia and it can only mean more customers for me:-).

You're wrong about that.

Thailand isn't becoming expensive, It's <deleted> expensive for a few years already.

AND... i find it totally AMAZING how many THAIS tell me every week HOW CHEAP !!!!! Thailand is and they have been NOWHERE!