Pattaya Beach Road Under Water After Heavy Half Hour Of Rain

Rimmer

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you can clearly see the in the photo looking down from central the mafia sandbags protecting their sand empire are forcing the water level to rise on the road and eventually over come the sandbags protecting central. I guess the council is as likely stop the mafia sandbags as they are at stopping their jetski scams. its almost like the council has a financial interest in it, but of course thats not possible

• Like 1

To my knowledge the Pattaya Beach Road has been flooding like this for over 20 years so its hardly what you would call news. however 50 cm of rain thats nearly 1 1/2 feet thats a lot !

+1....Happens after many big rains.

Well let us be honest here, the beach needs at least an annual "wash" because the rest of the year it is used as the night-toilet for man and beast alike.

Taking the sand out to be washed is a brilliant idea that no Thai official would consider.

Edited by Cuban

After living in Thailand now for 26 years ,I truly feel like its rained more in the last 6 years then it had in the previous 20 years that I lived here ,Phuket and Bkk ! I remember big downpours flooding Pat Pong Rd. into Nam Ta-lat ,I've watched bar girls on the beach road not drop the curtains at The Paradise bar on Beach rd. in Phuket until the squall was on top of us ,instead of a few minutes before when you could see it coming. Now it seems ,it just start raining like cats and dogs , as the saying goes.

Just remember it has nothing to do with Global warming , just tell that to the folks in the USA that went thru Katrina & Sandy.

Or the billions of dollars in destruction that happened in Colorado a few months ago! Sure does look like it doesn't matter if your at the beach or in the mountains ,when Mother Nature gets pissed off , she's not particular on where she sheds her tears!!!

Yet we hear it has nothing to do with global warming , its just people imagining the movie WaterWorld coming to a planet near you!!!

post-35854-0-57075100-1382714838_thumb.j

post-35854-0-54041400-1382714880_thumb.j

Edited by Rimmer
Font size

Maximum rainfall rate recorded at around 6 inches per hour, so it has to be 20 mm, not 20cms in half an hour as reported smile.png

Where you go to school? 6 inches - 150mm = 15cms , and from what i saw highly plausible.

Pic from Central Festival on 23rd...

1414797_654948011205118_1920604815_n.jpg

more pics?

We ex-pats may moan about it ......but surely The Central Shopping Mall "owners" have enough clout to rattle some "officials" cage at City Hall

I think Central should look in the mirror before they make any complaint, because this event was predicted when they build Central festival.

• Like 1

Pic from Central Festival on 23rd...

1414797_654948011205118_1920604815_n.jpg

more pics?

We ex-pats may moan about it ......but surely The Central Shopping Mall "owners" have enough clout to rattle some "officials" cage at City Hall

I think Central should look in the mirror before they make any complaint, because this event was predicted when they build Central festival.

Definitely pretty stupid for not considering it. :)

Sure Beach Road was flooded regularly.

I remember Sep 2011 which might have been the worst.

Big strong currents coming down from the Sois.

Nothing new at all, just the yearly discussion: is it worse than ever? (some say so)

The good thing at Beach Road: it can never be much higher than the pavement borders.

Much worse in 2nd road in front of VT6 and Central: unpassable with all kind of regular cars/pickups as these buildings form a new kind of "concrete dam".

"the system" at Central (at beach road) consists of nice "designer sandbags" biggrin.png

The pumps would never be able to fight a flash flood.

The good thing, yesterday (24. Oct) everything dried up, sun shining (as a friend told me).

Will see what happens for the rest of today.

Planning to be there on Sunday wink.png

In a way it's worse than ever.......especially since they extended BR with another lane........previous it took you 3 lanes to cross/wade through the floods....now it takes 4 lanes whistling.gif (parking lane, the song taew lane, the slow traffic lane and the F1-lane)

Definitely pretty stupid for not considering it. smile.png

1. There's no evidence that Central is complaining about anything.
  2. Whenever anything is built in Pattaya, it's always accompanied by cries of doom and predictions of disaster. Central was predicted to fall down: we're all waiting for that.
  3. There's no evidence they didn't consider it.

Definitely pretty stupid for not considering it. smile.png

1. There's no evidence that Central is complaining about anything.
  2. Whenever anything is built in Pattaya, it's always accompanied by cries of doom and predictions of disaster. Central was predicted to fall down: we're all waiting for that.
  3. There's no evidence they didn't consider it.

1. There is also no evidence that they aren't

2 . Because it didn't fall down in the passed 3 years, doesn't mean it still can't fall down tomorrow or any given time in the future. Most buildings that fall down, actually only happens several years after the construction, rarely shortly after.

3 . Well if they considered it they should have done a better job preventing it. Makes you think if they did a similar job when considering the stability of the building .

What`s the story behind that Central may collapse ??Just curious........................

post-2109-1244624541_thumb.jpg
post-2109-1244624548_thumb.jpg
post-2109-1244624557_thumb.jpg
post-2109-1244624563_thumb.jpg
post-2109-1244624571_thumb.jpg
post-2109-1244624578_thumb.jpg
post-2109-1244624585_thumb.jpg
post-2109-1244624591_thumb.jpg
Whilst they where still building the hotel above the 6th floor I was eating In a certain restaraunt with long penulum light filttings
that visably swayed and you could actually feel the whole building shaking/ jolting occasionaly.
Even now if you stand on the gangways that cross the void in the center of the building you can often feel the floor shaking.
Bit like the wobbly bridge in London.

• There's no evidence that Central is complaining about anything.
  • Whenever anything is built in Pattaya, it's always accompanied by cries of doom and predictions of disaster. Central was predicted to fall down: we're all waiting for that.
  • There's no evidence they didn't consider it.

Which is why I didn't start flapping my gums and blowing hot air about a non-existent issue as far as we know.

2 . Because it didn't fall down in the passed 3 years, doesn't mean it still can't fall down tomorrow or any given time in the future. Most buildings that fall down, actually only happens several years after the construction, rarely shortly after.

A broken clock is right twice a day. Someday the Empire State Building may also fall down. No doubt one of your many alarm bells will ring well in advance. Yes, let's sit around and list all the buildings we know and predict they will someday fall down.

3 . Well if they considered it they should have done a better job preventing it. Makes you think if they did a similar job when considering the stability of the building .

But maybe not according to THEIR cost calculations and priorities that may not agree with your elaborate, authoritative spreadsheet and research.

Anyway, no point in arguing with Momma, now is there? I shall wag my finger at them for you, ma'am. Satisfied?

Edited by JSixpack

Which is why I didn't start flapping my gums and blowing hot air about a non-existent issue as far as we know.

A broken clock is right twice a day. Someday the Empire State Building may also fall down. No doubt one of your many alarm bells will ring well in advance. Yes, let's sit around and list all the buildings we know and predict they will someday fall down.

But maybe not according to THEIR cost calculations and priorities that may not agree with your elaborate, authoritative spreadsheet and research.

Anyway, no point in arguing with Momma, now is there? I shall wag my finger at them for you, ma'am. Satisfied?

I know you love discussions and always talk around in circles, but let get things straight.

1. It wasn't me who said Central had logged any complaints, it was another poster who made that SUGGESTION, and i think that is his right. So what have you added to that so far ?

2. I know of quite a few large commercial buildings that have collapsed in Thailand, so it should be no surprise if there was one more added to the list in the future.

3. If the flooding wasn't any of THEIR priorities, than who are YOU to say that the safety of the building was one of THEIR priorities ?

Edited by jbrain

It didn't look regular to me. I've never seen beach road that flooded so I think it's news. BTW, Central Mall lower level was NOT flooded. They've got a system apparently.

They had to put it in after it got flooded when it just opened.

If the floods put the families off going to Pattaya, long may they keep happening!

that makes sense, its not as if the extra flooding could be caused by the new footpath being higher then the old one, nobody would be silly enough to make that mistake

I made the point of the higher walkway making a dam during the first flood on earlier thread. So this only adds to the problem.

I wonder if the new lane has blocked water entry to the drain under the road? I saw it when it was put in and it's BIG.

I wonder if you also noticed at that time that beach road slopes to the seaside, but the openings to the drain below the curb are on the left side of the road. e.g.the highest point of the road.