Using Thai Bank Debit Cards in the USA

Just wondering if anyone knows what fees are charged to use your Thai debit cards in the USA and which banks give the best exchange rates? We have accounts with SCB, Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn. Also, any recommended tricks on getting out the most money, specific American bank ATMS to use/etc? And are they going to lock the account and make you call them like many American banks do when your card is used overseas?

Edited by farang000999

The charge is 100 Baht/transaction + a mark up of no more than 2.5 % on the XE.com exchange rate . All banks are the same. However, I found that Bangkok Bank was charging around 1.5 % markup on exchange rate. Other banks which I tried all charges 2.5 %

Regarding the exchange rate, since the Be1st card is a Visa logo card you get the Visa exchange which can be found at the the Visa exchange rate page minus the 2.5% and 100 baht flat fee. On the Visa exchange rate page you can enter the 2.5% fee to determine the exchange rate you will get. As far as I know all Thai banks have a very similar/the same debit/credit card foreign transaction fee charge of approx 2.5% plus a 100 baht flat fee.

For Visa and Mastercard logo cards you get the Visa/Mastercard exchange rate which can be found at their exchange rate pages...Forex sites like XE.com just reflect the Forex trading (buy, sell, midpoint prices) for BIG, BIG amounts of currency trading and not what the Visa/Mastercard/individual banks exchange rates will be....as mentioned those rates will be a little lower depending on the wholesale sourcing of their funds and markup/currency conversion risk/etc. type fees they apply.

• Like 1

One thing that really hurts when using a card that has a foreign transaction percentage fee "and" flat fee, is the percentage fee really eats your lunch on large amounts and the flat fee really eats your lunch on small amounts.

Examples:

- Large sum: 20,000 baht buy/withdrawal...2.5% equals 500 baht and then the 100 baht flat fee added on....so the percentage fee is what ate your lunch here.

- Small sum: 1,000 baht buy/withdrawal...2.5% equals 25 baht and then the 100 baht flat fee added on....so the flat fee is what ate your lunch here.

Summary: cards with percentage fees "and" flat fees are geared to eat your lunch on all amounts, big or small. A banker would probably refer to that is good business/profits.

The ATM at Wells Fargo wanted $5 to make an ATM withdrawal of $800 and I am not sure what my Thai debit card limits are for single transactions. I really hate to piss money away like this.

Is it possible to wire money out of your Thai bank account back to the USA when you are outside of Thailand?

The ATM at Wells Fargo wanted $5 to make an ATM withdrawal of $800 and I am not sure what my Thai debit card limits are for single transactions. I really hate to piss money away like this.

Is it possible to wire money out of your Thai bank account back to the USA when you are outside of Thailand?

For farangs and Thai bank ibanking your are pretty much limited to expatiation of your work salary. And to get that authorization added to your ibanking you need to have a work permit and submit required docs to the bank to get the authorization added to your Thai bank ibanking. See this Bangkok Bank webpage for more info....same deal with other Thai banks as far as I know as it's driven by a Bank of Thailand regulation/requirement.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to a CHASE ATM in the USA and took out $803 ($3 bank fee) on Nov 12th 2013 (USA time) with my B1st Bangkok Bank ATM card.

The cost was 25,786.88 baht + 100 baht fee.

I paid 32.11 baht for each USD.

Using the website you provided

http://corporate.visa.com/pd/consumer_services/consumer_ex_rates.jsp

The rate is exactly 1.6% + $3 + 100 THB

Thank You very much for your help. This is a very cool modern world we live in.

• 1 month later...

How about my Thai wife bank account? Can that be transferred to a US bank from outside Thailand? Thanks.

You do understand that it would be just as easy and 100 times more accurate if you emailed YOUR bank and asked these question. The draw back would be you wouldn't get that post count.