Retirement Visa - 20 Minutes!

Having had my work permit and visa cancelled at 1400; I arrived at Immigration at 1500 and by 1520 my passport was stamped with a one year visa, Another 10 minutes for the multiple-entry stamp and that was it!

All staff involved helpful and smiling and no problems. Had done an earlier visit to collect the form and the guidance note which listed what I needed. Made sure I had all the right documents, multiple copies (and multiple photos which was useful cos I needed one for the visa and one for the multiple entry); wore a shirt and tie and smiled as sweetly as I am capable; seems to be all that is required.

Thanks to those on this forum for advice; now I must go and kiss my visa again!

Hugh

Having had my work permit and visa cancelled at 1400; I arrived at Immigration at 1500 and by 1520 my passport was stamped with a one year visa, Another 10 minutes for the multiple-entry stamp and that was it!

All staff involved helpful and smiling and no problems. Had done an earlier visit to collect the form and the guidance note which listed what I needed. Made sure I had all the right documents, multiple copies (and multiple photos which was useful cos I needed one for the visa and one for the multiple entry); wore a shirt and tie and smiled as sweetly as I am capable; seems to be all that is required.

Thanks to those on this forum for advice; now I must go and kiss my visa again!

Hugh

Congratulations Hugh. A just outcome for a man who did the homework, dressed appropriately and politely smiled. So many don't and cannot understand why it is not so straightforward. Good upon you. :o

how much you paid Hughden, in Pattaya the cost is 1900 B + 200 B + 500 B total 2600 B .

200 B is for medical certificat, and 500 B for ??? with only one receipt of 1900 B..

To much pocket money.. by  XXXX thousands new one year visa..

Might the 500 baht be for a single re-entry permit ? Immigration want you to bring any medical certificate with you they don't charge for it

Cost was 1900 Baht. Once I had the visa I went to another counter and obtained the optional multi-entry visa by filling in form TM8 and supplying another photo. Cost for this was an additional 3,800 Baht.

My medical came courtesy of my previous employing company who arrange a medical on completion of assignment and I just asked the doctor for the necessary form for a retiremen visa application. Charge from the bank for the various forms; but suspect those costs will vary by bank.

I have checked the visa every day since and it still sits in my passport!!

Hugh

A visa in 20 minutes - wow - that was fast.

Can someone remind me please, what the medical certificate covers? Also, someone suggested on another board that there was a test on the written and spoken Thai language before you can apply for a retirement visa. I'm certain that this is just a totally unfounded rumour but again confirmation that this is not yet a requirement would be appreciated.

Will the procedure be as straightforward in Pattaya as well as Bangkok? I had been planning on obtaining a retirement visa in this country but if it is as easy as that may just wait until I arrive in Thailand before applying.

A visa in 20 minutes - wow - that was fast.

Can someone remind me please, what the medical certificate covers? Also, someone suggested on another board that there was a test on the written and spoken Thai language before you can apply for a retirement visa. I'm certain that this is just a totally unfounded rumour but again confirmation that this is not yet a requirement would be appreciated.

Will the procedure be as straightforward in Pattaya as well as Bangkok? I had been planning on obtaining a retirement visa in this country but if it is as easy as that may just wait until I arrive in Thailand before applying.

Hospitals and clinics know what immigration requires. There is a language test that is required for permanent residence, NOT for retirement. Arrive in Thailand on a non-immigrant O class visa, comply with the banking requirements, and extend that O class visa for a year. In my view, doing it in Thailand is easier. Pattaya will be fine. Good luck.