Southern rubber growers block road, urging talks with government

Lite Beer

Southern rubber growers block road, urging talks with government
By English News

13828484784873-640x390x2.jpg

PRACHUAB KHIRI KHAN, Oct 26 - Rubbers growers from 16 southern provinces blocked road in this seaside province, demanding talk with government to solve falling rubber prices.

Theerapong Kaewnuan, leader of the Prachuab Khiri Khan rubber growers network, together with representatives from 16 other rubber growers networks in the southern region, continued protesting at Petchakasem Road in Bang Saphan Noi district which began yesterday.

The protesters submitted their complaint letter to the district chief, urging the government to quickly resolve a response to the falling rubber prices and demanding that Deputy Premier Pracha Promnog and Finance Minister Kittiratt Na Ranong meet them for negotiations.

Their demands also include the transfer of Prachuab Khiri Khan police commander from the province, as well as dropping legal charges against the protesters.

Assessing the situation, Mr Theerapong said it is unlikely any government representative will meet with the protesters by noon.

He said there are several moves to intensify the protest, adding that closing part of the Bang Saphan-Nong Hat Thai route will be the final step, which could paralyse southern traffic. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-10-27

Well Farmers here are expecting too much. I know Thailand is Agrarian to a large degree but paying more than the world price is helping send the country to bankruptcy. The rice scheme is way overboard now and they wont back down. There is BIG trouble brewqing I feel.

HJere is todays rubber price from the world markets

http://www.indexmundi.com/commodities/?commodity=rubber

• Like 1

How do you stop something that has been running for a while? The rubber planters want theirs now.

Thais only see things in very simple terms.They blame everyone but themselves for prices dropping nothing to do with an over supply because to much planting has gone on for too many years and the recession has hit the market.

I, too believe this is going to cause serious issues before long.

Rice is putting the countries finances under real pressure and can't be supported much longer.

Something has got to give!!

• Like 1

Disaster Act imposed to control rubber grower protest
By English News

13828641707170-640x390x2.png

PRACHUAB KHIRI KHAN, Oct 27 - Thailand's Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Act has been imposed in this seaside province to maintain law and order as rubber growers continued their rally and blocked the main road leading to the southern region.

Prachuab Khiri Khan governor Veera Sriwattanatrakul said he imposed the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Act banning persons from blocking the Petchakasem Road in Bang Saphan Noi district. Those who violate the law will face a maximum three-month jail term or maximum fine of Bt6000, or both.

He said police officers have also been standing by at Bang Saphan police station, some 20 kilometres from the rally site, and will respond immediately in any emergency.

National Police chief Pol Gen Adul Saengsingkaew said he has assigned deputy police chief Pol Gen Worapong Chiewpreecha to oversee the situation and follow up the case in the area.

Although protesters have blocked part of Petchakasem Road, he said police have opened an optional route for motorists to avoid the rally site.

Gen Adul noted that some anti-government activists have been found joining the rubber growers protest, and that police are considering withdrawing bail for some rubber growers who are under arrest warrants but released on bail.

Since yesterday the Prachuab Khiri Khan rubber growers network and representatives from 16 other rubber grower networks in the south protested at Petchakasem Road in Bang Saphan Noi district, urging the government to quickly resolve a response to the falling rubber prices and demanding that Deputy Premier Pracha Promnog and Finance Minister Kittiratt Na Ranong meet them for negotiations.

Their demands also include the transfer of the Prachuab Khiri Khan police commander from the province, as well as dropping legal charges against the protesters. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-10-27

How do you stop something that has been running for a while? The rubber planters want theirs now.

Thais only see things in very simple terms.They blame everyone but themselves for prices dropping nothing to do with an over supply because to much planting has gone on for too many years and the recession has hit the market.

Rice is putting the countries finances under real pressure and can't be supported much longer.

Still, I feel some empathy for the rubber farmers who planted into a 35 year crop cycle less than a decade ago, with the encouragement (and probably more than a little stick with the carrot) from the government.

I don't have an answer for the current situation, but I wouldn't blame them for feeling "had", and left out of Thailand's scramble for the riches.

And I'm not drawing any particular cause-effect relationship here, but most of the subsidized rice seems to be grown in areas with no insurgency problem, and the rubber...

I don't get that sentence:

"Gen Adul noted that some anti-government activists have been found joining the rubber growers protest, and that police are considering withdrawing bail for some rubber growers who are under arrest warrants but released on bail."

Are these on bail blocking the road, or is it just a thing to pressure their friends?

Is in Thailand the police withdrawing the bail or is it the courts?

Still, I feel some empathy for the rubber farmers who planted into a 35 year crop cycle less than a decade ago, with the encouragement (and probably more than a little stick with the carrot) from the government.

I don't have an answer for the current situation, but I wouldn't blame them for feeling "had", and left out of Thailand's scramble for the riches.

And I'm not drawing any particular cause-effect relationship here, but most of the subsidized rice seems to be grown in areas with no insurgency problem, and the rubber...

I think all the south is angree since a long time. The rubber price is just the spark to ignite things.

I think all the south is angree since a long time. The rubber price is just the spark to ignite things.

post-9891-0-07421800-1382873252_thumb.jpsmile.png

• Like 1

How do the government expain to the rubberfarmers, that they can't expect to recieve marketprice+30-40%, as the ricefarmers now have been getting for a couple of years??whistling.gif

Oh, I forgot, rubberfarmers in the south traditionally vote for the Democrats.

As the Dear Leader said some years back: "People who do not vote for me, can't expect any help from the government"

To be fair to Mr Thaksin he did warn people about what to expect if you didn't support his governments and he has been true to his word ever since.

The freeloading is over. Raising taxes and starting new ones will not work. The rice scheme is costing billions. Rubber prices are low and are expected to stay low for a while.

Trying to attract foreign investment isn't a bad idea. The Thaksin way will prolly mean opening up Thailand completely. If so, then the country will be robbed clean in a few years.

But making the country attractive to invest shouldn't be too hard. Two basic conditions for that must be met first of all: Stop corruption fast and let law and order prevail. 30% extra costs for bribes on an investment are preposterous. No significant investor will accept that.

How do the government expain to the rubberfarmers, that they can't expect to recieve marketprice+30-40%, as the ricefarmers now have been getting for a couple of years??whistling.gif

Oh, I forgot, rubberfarmers in the south traditionally vote for the Democrats.

As the Dear Leader said some years back: "People who do not vote for me, can't expect any help from the government"

To be fair to Mr Thaksin he did warn people about what to expect if you didn't support his governments and he has been true to his word ever since.

Some would admire that amount of honesty, some are still sucking on the teets of it.

Wait until the milk of Thaksin kindness turns into vinegar................. then some should run for the hills.

PROTEST
Rubber farmers vow to fight on

The Nation

30218096-01_big.jpg?1382916661090

Still seeking a subsidy from govt

BANGKOK: -- RUBBER FARMERS from Prachuap Khiri Khan set up roadblocks on a key section of Phetkasem Road yesterday in Bang Saphan district and vowed to continue their protest against the government, after it failed to heed their calls for subsidies in order to hike rubber prices.

Heavy congestion caused by the roadblock was eventually eased after the farmers reached an agreement with police and allowed several lanes to be reopened.

It is a second attempt made by around 400 farmers to make their demands heard, after the first roadblock last month was dismantled during violent clashes with police.

Motorists travelling south have been advised to take an alternative route along the coast to avoid long tailbacks on Phetkasem Road. The protest site is located at Si Nakhon intersection not far from Thammarat intersection, which saw scores of protestors and anti-riot police injured during the farmers' first protest in September. Several police vehicles were also set on fire during the protest.

Police said that yesterday they had arrested three men who were acting as security for the protesting farmers. Officers found a number of home-made bombs and weapons, including slingshots and nuts and bolts, in their possession.

A network of rubber and palm-oil farmers from the 16 southern provinces declared their support for the roadblock yesterday and threatened to escalate the protest if no one from the government met to discuss their demands. In response, Deputy Prime Minister Pracha Promnok arrived in the province at 4pm yesterday, however, as off press time, the outcome of the talks was unknown.

In addition to barricades, a number of trees were felled to block Phet Kasem Road - the main route to the south. Protestors then delivered a series of blistering attacks on the government, criticising it for not delivering a price guarantee that would benefit rubber tappers, and instead granting per-rai subsidies to wealthy plantation owners.

Speeches also attacked the Yingluck administration's amnesty bill, suggesting that the renewed protests could be politically motivated.

Meanwhile, provincial authorities have submitted a petition to the provincial court asking for an injunction to immediately order protesters to vacate the site. The court is expected to issue its ruling today. Authorities in neighbouring Chumphon province have also called an urgent meeting to discuss measures to halt possible rallies supporting the Prachuap Khiri Khan roadblock.

A number of local opposition Democrats have reportedly told Chumphon governor Pheerasak Hinmuankao that they have no intention of joining the protests.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-28

BANGKOK: -- RUBBER FARMERS from Prachuap Khiri Khan set up roadblocks on a key section of Phetkasem Road

Motorists travelling south have been advised to take an alternative route

In addition to the tree and truck-blocked portion of this major north-south roadway, elephant owners have promised to block this same roadway in Chumphon with 350 elephants in support of their own, and different, protest with Yingluck's government.

Edited by centrala

"Southern rubber growers"

Dear farmers, I support you as long as you don't pick them to early. I and so many others need them a bit larger.

Cheers, Local Drunk

yep , and punch some holes in them as well !!!

I am stuck traffic and living in guest houses. I wanted to drive to Phuket from BKK yesterday? Not happening. Now I am turning back to BKK. This is a major story. This morning two vans in that spent the night in this guest house are turning back to BKK. Not a happy tourist in the bunch.

Amazing this is not being reported?

Anyway, do not try to drive south. It will not happen!

Went through that mess last night (Sunday).....We were Northbound.

Almost every farmer with an IQ of less than 43 (most of them) have been planting rubber trees the last few years. Given the obvious long term production cycle, and the fact that most rubber tree habitat resides in nations which have statistics of lower than average intelligence, the real glut lies ahead. Now they whine.

The police had established a bypass route around the coast to Bang Saphan. We were Northbound. Just entered the bypass and quickly ran into the gridlock. After about 20 minutes of moving 20 meters every few minutes, we came to the conclusion that it was likely totally blocked ahead.

The established bypass route was Hwys 3497 / 3374.

Equipped with a GPS, we took a small chance and escaped via a dirt side road that hooked up with a secondary highway numbered 1013. Perfectly good small paved highway that took us about 18 km to a point past the bottleneck. From there it was back to the "leeward" side of the official bypass route, weaving around a few stuck cheaters (trying to run up the oncoming lane and then getting stuck against oncoming cars) and heated arguments, then into Bang Saphan, back to Phet Kasem and on our way.

Along the 18 km alternate route we took, down a perfectly good highway to get around the gridlock, there was NOBODY else that took the alternate route that we did (the only one we could see on the GPS that could possibly get us there). Absolutely NOBODY. It was virtually a deserted highway last night, and was a very nice one at that.

The bumper to bumper gridlock from where we left the Northbound jam, to where the standstill started coming from the North (southbound) was about 27 km, and growing when we left it behind. This morning we find out that the leeches had blocked the bypass route as well, which is why, as we saw, nobody was getting anywhere.

I am sure that many of the vehicles (most likely thousands) stuck in that 27 km parking lot were also equipped with GPS, but absolutely nobody tried to follow the obvious possible route around it. Amazing Thailand !

BTW.....we were two white guys and one Thai wife.

If any intelligent Thai authorities are reading this, my suggestion to deal with such protests would be to pick a random number between 10 and 20. Arrest that number of protesters, take them aside and shoot them in the head. This should result in things clearing up a bit in the future.

By blocking Phet Kasem, and then also the bypass (other than the unknown route we took which no Thai would ever consider attempting), these protesters effectively cut off ALL ground transportation to the South to the rest of the country TOTALLY OFF. A nation of morons.

Edited by shoobedoowa

Pheu Thai and Democrat spokesmen spat

The spokesmen of ruling Pheu Thai and opposition Democrat parties on Monday exchanged verbal salvos related to the protests of rubber farmers in Prachuab Khiri Khan.

Pheu Thai's Prompong Nopparit alleged two Democrats, whose initials are S and Ch, were behind the protests.

Democrat Chavanond Intarakomalyasut rebutted that Prompong was losing his credibility by plunging into the alphabet soup instead of addressing the grievances.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-28