Buying Motorbike

crabstix

I am planning to buy a new motorbike soon. Which is better? Honda wave or Honda Dream?

In what way is it better?

It seems logical to assume that the Honda Dream is better since is is around 37,000 baht whereas the honda wave is only 31,000 baht but I want to know what you get for the extra 6000 baht you pay.

A Thai told me that the Honda Dreams are manufactured and assembled in Japan whereas the Honda Waves are made in Japan but assembled in Thailand and so are cheaper. Is that True?

I am finding it hard to make a decision which one to buy. Any advice would be appreciated. Ideally I'd like to have a bike which is reliable and is easy to find parts for so that repairs will be cheap and easy.

Most of the Dreams I've seen have wire wheels, cheap thin tyres, tiny drum brakes front and rear, all strictly 1960's technology. I thought the Waves looked more modern, with better kit. Each line, however, seems to come in infinite varieties, so you can work your way up the line. Even the 125's are underpowered with only a Thai pilot, and suicidal with two farang on board.

However, both the Wave and Dream lines seem to be faint attempts at mere, minimal basic transport, with no thought for control or safety. The CBR150, which I have, is a baby sportsbike in a whole 'nother category and price range; similarly the Phantom is in a class by itself as a chopper, but even more expensive.

Frankly, Dreams and Waves seem like suicide machines to me. Am I prejudiced?

I was reading an excellent thread 2 yrs old here about choppers ( is Kringle still about ?) and it makes me ask dave how many bikes ( not girls ) have u been thro :D

I am in the same boat as Ray with an old 750 Kawa twin, still in the repairs and commited financially to100K.

Wot a sucker :o

Most of the Dreams I've seen have wire wheels, cheap thin tyres, tiny drum brakes front and rear, all strictly 1960's technology. I thought the Waves looked more modern, with better kit. Each line, however, seems to come in infinite varieties, so you can work your way up the line. Even the 125's are underpowered with only a Thai pilot, and suicidal with two farang on board.

However, both the Wave and Dream lines seem to be faint attempts at mere, minimal basic transport, with no thought for control or safety. The CBR150, which I have, is a baby sportsbike in a whole 'nother category and price range; similarly the Phantom is in a class by itself as a chopper, but even more expensive.

Frankly, Dreams and Waves seem like suicide machines to me. Am I prejudiced?

I agree that the Dreams don't seem to have developed much over the years. Could this be an indication that the bike itself has reached a point where developing it further would only make it less efficient or more expensive to repair? I am a practical person looking for a cheap reliable bike which can get me from A to B. Every day wear & tear is inevitable so I need a bike which the average mechanic without too much trouble. I appreciate that the more you pay for a bike, the more horsepower you get (as well as the higher fuel consumption that goes with it!). I have no doubt that the CBR150 is a better bike since is costs so much more. Do I really need all that horsepower? I just want to get to work and back and go to the town 7 km away a few times a week.

Suppose you had to make the choice and the CBR150 did not exist. Would you go for the Honda Dream or Wave? Sorry to narrow down your choices :o Just out of curiousity though, how are the CBR150 bikes and Phantoms safer? I thought if a car hits you at high speed (touch wood this never happens even to my worse enemy!) while you are riding your bike, you're pretty much history anyway.

I was reading an excellent thread 2 yrs old here about choppers ( is Kringle still about ?) and it makes me ask dave how many bikes ( not girls ) have u been thro :D

I am in the same boat as Ray with an old 750 Kawa twin, still in the repairs and commited financially to100K.

Wot a sucker :o

Not too many to be honest, a boring list.

Honda Wave 125 (still have)

Spark 135 (still have)

Recently aquired Honda CB400

Suzuki Intruder 1400

Yamaha Virago 750

Honda Phantom

Rode and borrowed lots more :D

Edited by davethailand

Okay, to be fair, I don't know of that many differences between Dream and Wave. I'd choose the model with the options I want, such as strong wheels, disk front brake, wider tires with real tread for the rainy season. You may be stuck with the crummy auto clutch and backward four-speed tranny, but for control, a clutch and five real speeds is hard to beat.

Hondas are so reliable that I'm sure the local mechanics can fix either model when they're half drunk.

The control factor is to AVOID a wreck, by having the bike go left or right when you just sway your legs or push one hand down on the bar. Control is hitting the brakes (both, simulataneously) and the bike, wheel, and tire come to a stop before hitting Somchai and Somchette. And the few measly additional horsepower might just get you out of the way faster.

Having said that, I dropped the CBR150 at around 30kph when I hit a dog. Ouch.

Which goes back to the purpose for which the original poster wishes to ride a Honda: in one of the most hazardous conditions imaginable, one of the ways most likely to get him killed, just riding a country road or a village soi and suddenly, there's Pachara, Sumphon and 2 dogs cutting across the lane....

I'd go with the Dream. Maintenance is SO easy and cheap.. Not being 'state of the art' I think is a 'Good Thing'. It's a heavy, clunky reliable bike.

And dare I say it: a lot safer than some fancy crotch-rocket. The smaller the engine, the safer it is! Brakes are completely adequate for regular city driving. The only issue is really if you use them a lot in mountain driving, they work less well when they heat up. (So use engine braking as much as possible).

Also look at existing, older bikes all around. I think the Waves are more plasticky and overall just look less solid.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Neither....there not motorbikes...they're scooters / mopeds / step throughs or whatever...but not motorbikes :o

CBR 150 is the entry level motorbike from Honda. Proper wheels, brakes but a bit small if your a tall chappy. :D

I don't think you'll find fuel consumption is much differant among all these machines though.

I would agree with PeaceBlondie in that the extra power, manouverability and far superior braking system of the CBR makes it a safer machine.

Chanchao being a slower bike doesn't mean its safer it just means you hit things at a slower speed after your drum brakes have overheated and no longer work :D whereas on your CBR you'd have pulled a stoppie looked cool and stopped safely even if you were travelling faster :D

That said I drive a car here not a bike...mainly coz non of the bigger machines are not officially imported. I really miss my lime green 2000 model Triumph Speed Triple 955i......that would be great to ride around BKK on and good for a blast into the countryside too :D

Edited by moonoi

If you believe that lower power is good, do everything you can to rob your motor of power, load the bike up with the three heaviest passengers you can find, and try to drive. No control, regardless of speed.

Recent helmet research shows that the most fatal speed is when your head goes from five feet above the ground, to the solid ground. Gravity accelerates a falling object at 32 feet per second/per second. My best student, a Thai genius, died from a brain injury that he sustained, without a helmet, when he was at a full stop.

I own a 125cc wave with a disc brake. It rides fine has enough pep. Buzzy above 90kph. Very pleasant at 40-60kph.

Rode a friends 10 year old 100cc dream for a week and found it very nice around town.

A Thai told me that the Honda Dreams are manufactured and assembled in Japan whereas the Honda Waves are made in Japan but assembled in Thailand and so are cheaper. Is that True?

This seems unlikely as that 6000 isn't a big enough price difference for an import.

I own a 125cc wave with a disc brake. It rides fine has enough pep. Buzzy above 90kph. Very pleasant at 40-60kph.

Rode a friends 10 year old 100cc dream for a week and found it very nice around town.

This seems unlikely as that 6000 isn't a big enough price difference for an import.

Thanks to all of you for your advice. Just spoke to a friend who knows a mechanic in Chiang Mai. Apparently they are all assembled in Thailand now (Waves & Dreams).

Another friend also told me that Waves are not only cheaper, but also cheaper if you want parts repaired. For example the flaps (the thingies which keep your legs getting wet as you ride through puddles) are around 500 baht to replace for Honda Dreams but only 250 baht for Honda Waves!

Look here: http://www.yingyongmotorcycle.com/index1.htm# the specs of the different motorbikes. You can see that there are 7 different models of Honda Waves and only one for Dream.

The Waves are not all cheaper than Dreams, I've bought the 125i (fuel injection) and paid 47K with insurance and plate. But I'm satisfied, good bike, good brakes, low fuel consumption and quick enough for Thailand, considering the roads and the "strange" thai driving style.

I had big bikes (VFR750,CBR900,ZZR1100) and I don't feel less secure on my Wave. It's mostly how you drive that will bring the danger.

One thing that I just needed to add for completeness (which I'm sure everyone here is aware of) is that BOTH the Dream and Wave are good choices for one specific reason that's so obvious we haven't mentioned it explicitly here: They both have 4-stroke engines. So much more comfortable, sensible torque/power-range, high fuel economy, low maintenance, long lasting and lower noise compared to two-stroke 'crotch-rocket' wannabe-sports-bikes.

Why has no one mentioned the Sonic? They're light, maneuverable, quick & have disc brakes front & rear. Also easy to get fixed anywhere like a Wave or Dream. I 've had 1 for 2.5 years & I think it's the best bike available for the city (admittedly I'm on the small side myself - 175cm & 65kg). The Sonic was even ok for occasional road trips around the north. Having said all that though, I just bought a CBR 150 - I'll be moving out of the city soon & plan to do more touring. And by the way, the CBR, like the Sonic, is a 4 stroke. The old NSR 150's are 2 strokes but they're no longer sold new here.

Look here: http://www.yingyongmotorcycle.com/index1.htm# the specs of the different motorbikes. You can see that there are 7 different models of Honda Waves and only one for Dream.

The Waves are not all cheaper than Dreams, I've bought the 125i (fuel injection) and paid 47K with insurance and plate. But I'm satisfied, good bike, good brakes, low fuel consumption and quick enough for Thailand, considering the roads and the "strange" thai driving style.

I had big bikes (VFR750,CBR900,ZZR1100) and I don't feel less secure on my Wave. It's mostly how you drive that will bring the danger.

I've had my eye on that fuel injected model. From all appearances seems like the smartest of them all. I might trade up from my carb model.

One thing that I just needed to add for completeness (which I'm sure everyone here is aware of) is that BOTH the Dream and Wave are good choices for one specific reason that's so obvious we haven't mentioned it explicitly here: They both have 4-stroke engines. So much more comfortable, sensible torque/power-range, high fuel economy, low maintenance, long lasting and lower noise compared to two-stroke 'crotch-rocket' wannabe-sports-bikes.

Well the CBR150RRRRRRRRRR :o is also 4 stroke and it has proper gears...just as cheap and easy to maintain as dream/wave.

The old NSR was 2 stroke (and more fun :D) but can't buy it new anymore. So engine wise the new machines are all 4 stroke now (from Honda anyway)

Edited by moonoi

Three reasons why I bought a Wave instead of a Dream are:

Disk brakes on the front with the Wave.

Much bigger underseat storage on the Wave.

Front faring much more robust on the Wave. Anything of anysize kicks up of the road between your knees and feet on the dream and the protection will fold like cheap plastic, because that's what it is. The Wave is slightly more robust.

Other than that apart from the way they look no major differences.

Having said all that if I was buying again then I would have a more serious look at the CBR150.

cm das, you beat me to it, about the Sonic 125, Honda's earlier alternate to the two-strokes. If one needn't go to the high-tank fully-faired sports route, the Sonic must be excellent. What do they cost compared to a fully equipped Wave? But I beat you to getting a CBR150R in Chiang Mai! Enjoy the construction zones for those superhighway underpasses (which will be finished after Suvanbeensolongmuhi Airport); you can cut and slice and dice like a hot knife through butter in the CBR. But you probably could in the Sonic, too. I always got 30 km per liter on that ten liter tank.

I just rode a friends cbr150. Impressive and serious machine very quick and handles excellent.

I'm very tempted. It's also a real motorcycle with a clutch.

The minus' are not much storage. and the big minus is that it's a little too quick. A rider would need plenty of discipline to avoid getting into trouble by going too fast.

Actually just saying this bike is quick is a serious understatement. It is blindingly fast around town. An inattentive rider will hurt himself on this machine is guaranteed. Riding any motorbike has risk this one has slightly more built in for the unwary.

I think the CBR150R is a good alternative to a Wave or Dream. Its got more power and btter brakes. The fact that its gor more power means you can ride it down the centre of the road instead of the hard shoulder part which is generally reserved for scooters travelling in both directions and soi dogs.

I've had my CBR since last July and it's been fantastic. I'm looking to sell it next month as I'm getting a car. Anyone in the Nakhon Ratchasima/Khao Yai area who is interested can PM me for details.

There's another contender, this http://www.motorbikes.be/en/Kawasaki/2005/KSR%20110/

Locally made and costing B.50,000. One seater, big fuel tank, quality components. It's a little small so try it out before buying. Unfortunately only automatic clutch, however plenty of customs parts are available including manual clutch kits. I've had one for a year and it a great little bike. Perfect for driving in the city. Very manouverable and yet stable at speed, even for my 100 kg's body. They are a racing series in Japan and apparently used for kids racing in the US. I've seen them for rent in Pattaya.

Neither....there not motorbikes...they're scooters / mopeds / step throughs or whatever...but not motorbikes :o

CBR 150 is the entry level motorbike from Honda. Proper wheels, brakes but a bit small if your a tall chappy. :D

I don't think you'll find fuel consumption is much differant among all these machines though.

I would agree with PeaceBlondie in that the extra power, manouverability and far superior braking system of the CBR makes it a safer machine.

Chanchao being a slower bike doesn't mean its safer it just means you hit things at a slower speed after your drum brakes have overheated and no longer work :D whereas on your CBR you'd have pulled a stoppie looked cool and stopped safely even if you were travelling faster :D

That said I drive a car here not a bike...mainly coz non of the bigger machines are not officially imported. I really miss my lime green 2000 model Triumph Speed Triple 955i......that would be great to ride around BKK on and good for a blast into the countryside too :D

I dont blame you.

My last trip to Issan I rode 2 of these little things. One was a step through ( scrub cutter ) and the other was a Kawasaki Serpico, 2 stroke but at least it had a tank between the legs for a bit more control.

I rode the Honda step through 20 kms to the nearest town. I rode the Kawasaki through some of the villages and on a variety of road surfaces. I had a lot more cotrol on this one.

What I want to know is, why didnt I see or why dont the upcountry Thais use trail ( dirt ) bikes. They can handle any road surfaces and they are very east to ride. Can anyone tell me??

Also a farang told me that because of the laws in Thailand nobody can own a bike over 150 cc so some bussinesses import bigger motorbikes in parts, assemble them in Thailand , register them as new and bobs your uncle ( everything is O.K. )

Is this true??

• 1 month later...

I dont blame you.

My last trip to Issan I rode 2 of these little things. One was a step through ( scrub cutter ) and the other was a Kawasaki Serpico, 2 stroke but at least it had a tank between the legs for a bit more control.

I rode the Honda step through 20 kms to the nearest town. I rode the Kawasaki through some of the villages and on a variety of road surfaces. I had a lot more cotrol on this one.

What I want to know is, why didnt I see or why dont the upcountry Thais use trail ( dirt ) bikes. They can handle any road surfaces and they are very east to ride. Can anyone tell me??

Also a farang told me that because of the laws in Thailand nobody can own a bike over 150 cc so some bussinesses import bigger motorbikes in parts, assemble them in Thailand , register them as new and bobs your uncle ( everything is O.K. )

Is this true??

And since we are talking a bit about the CBR 150, does anyone have any opinions of the Kawasaki Boss 175? How does it stack up against the CBR?--Cheers