Phoning for a Taxi in Pattaya

media

Taxi boots every few hundred meters. If you like the service of your driver, ask him for his number and call him next time. I have 5 different number by now

"Taxi boots every few hundred meters."

OK, this one is a mystery to me. What does this mean?

Booths ...stalls...shacks...etc,.

There are taxi booths, stalls, shacks, etc. every few hundred meters in Pattaya??

I did consider that as a translation for "boots," but it makes no sense in this context.

When did this happen? There's probably fewer than 50 taxis in the entire city.

I hope we're not calling this a taxi "boot."

762.jpg

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Booths ...stalls...shacks...etc,.

There are taxi booths, stalls, shacks, etc. every few hundred meters in Pattaya??

I did consider that as a translation for "boots," but it makes no sense in this context.

When did this happen? There's probably fewer than 50 taxis in the entire city.

I hope we're not calling this a taxi "boot."

762.jpg

Who know's i was just trying to help.

obvious to me what he meant,whether right or wrong!!

The fake taxi meter system is hopeless because it's owned by the baht bus so called cooperative company. That way, they block any chance of a competitive full service REAL taxi meter service. Monopoly much?

The only people who could stop this would be resident Thais exercising outrage. Like I said, hopeless.

They do seem to be shooting themselves in the foot (feet?). Fortunately I'm spared the need for a taxi most of the time, but the one time I considered it I was quoted Baht 250 for a ridiculously short trip. It was on Beach Rd and I suppose the assumption is that any farang there must be an addled and clueless tourist. Statistics are probably on their side in making that assumption, but people weren't exactly elbowing one another aside to get a taxi. As luck would have it several hundred song taeows were passing and I boarded one for the 10 baht ride.

Not really sure of the economics. I know the drivers have to pay a per diem for the vehicle and maybe fuel costs, but it seems like they'd fare (!!) better if they did many short, cheap runs rather than waiting for one or two high priced trips. But it would be difficult for one sensibly priced taxi driver to distinguish himself from the others and offering low prices wouldn't make him popular with his peers.

The taxi business in Pattaya / Jomtien is the worst I've come across in Thailand.

The drivers are obviously reluctant to use the meter and will quite happily lose a fare unless you agree with their ridiculous quotes.

Last time my wife and I were in Jomtien one driver quoted 150 baht to drive us up the hill, which we declined. He came back with the much improved offer of 250 baht. Maybe I look that freaking stupid, who knows.

I, too, would like to know if there are any respectable cabbies in the area.

Baht buses?

The taxi business in Pattaya / Jomtien is the worst I've come across in Thailand.

The drivers are obviously reluctant to use the meter and will quite happily lose a fare unless you agree with their ridiculous quotes.

Last time my wife and I were in Jomtien one driver quoted 150 baht to drive us up the hill, which we declined. He came back with the much improved offer of 250 baht. Maybe I look that freaking stupid, who knows.

I, too, would like to know if there are any respectable cabbies in the area.

Baht buses?

Yes, their charges for travel to a specific location have crept up a bit recently, but I've found most of the drivers to be more sensible in pricing & generally pleasant people (at least early in the day) and if I'm alone I'm usually invited to sit in the air conditioned cab while listening to the latest in pirated luk tung CDs. Of course, we continue to pick up other passengers en route, but then I'm rarely in a hurry so it's all part of the exotic traveling experience. Luckily I'm not obliged to make it a frequent mode of transport or the exotic-ness might wear thin.

• Like 1

OP: based on the variety of responses here, you might want to be a bit more specific. Are you looking for a "real" taxi? Like they have in Bangkok? If so, Jingthing has responded properly that we don't really have that here, but there are taxis around and they charge inflated fees. They are used by some.

Not sure what your needs are, but maybe a car service like Mr T? He'd only do longer runs probably. A few of my friends have the numbers of private cars that act as taxis. They still charge way more than what a proper metered taxi would cost, but less than the official "metered" taxis that sit near The Avenue.

Unfortunately, we don't have good options here in Pattaya.

Are you all bonkers!!

Any short journey in any taxi anywhere in the world is going to work out dearer than a long journey - for the driver the short journey is work and not well rewarded even when the passenger feels they are overpaying. Why is this?

Easy, it takes time to stop, work out the route (smaller routes are more difficult and prone to error as one wrong turn is hard to correct), then the driver has to pullover in a safe place, take the fare, give change and usually will have to check the taxi, pull away and need a U-turn. And the driver does not get the next fare straight away, of course not - he will normally have to travel back empty to where he picked up. Does he get the next fare then, most likely not. There are now many more cabs looking for fares. And what has he earned - nothing. All the travelling around looking for the next fare not only costs in time but money too. If he had got a big fare his life would be a lot easier as less mucking around and at the end of the journey he will have got enough money to call a wage.

In a busy town like New York, or London a taxi driver may drop off and pick up. But even here, there are times of the day when this cannot happen. In Pattaya there is no chance of this. To make it worse, Pattaya is regarded as cheap and no one wants to pay the right price for anything. Most people live here on budgets they could not exist on in their own countries.

I get a cab when the bus will not do, and my own transport is out of the question. How often is that? So for the bit extra on a short journey - it can be justified. Also a taxi journey is an experience - it takes practice but to get the most out of a taxi journey with a driver just serving you alone is a skill in itself. Taxis are not for saving money, quiet the opposite, they are a premiun way of getting around - like having your own personal chauffeur. Try making the journey big - get them to wait for you and go on to somewhere else, you will find the fare bigger but better value. Remember - go hire a car, fill it with petrol, go hire a driver who has experience of driving all day and has some idea where he is going. Now after doing all this, just use that for your short journey - that's expensive.

That is you education into taxi driving. How do I know all this? You figure it out.wink.pngwai2.gifwai.gif

Edited by SirPaul

Are you all bonkers!!

Any short journey in any taxi anywhere in the world is going to work out dearer than a long journey - for the driver the short journey is work and not well rewarded even when the passenger feels they are overpaying. Why is this?

Easy, it takes time to stop, work out the route (smaller routes are more difficult and prone to error as one wrong turn is hard to correct), then the driver has to pullover in a safe place, take the fare, give change and usually will have to check the taxi, pull away and need a U-turn. And the driver does not get the next fare straight away, of course not - he will normally have to travel back empty to where he picked up. Does he get the next fare then, most likely not. There are now many more cabs looking for fares. And what has he earned - nothing. All the travelling around looking for the next fare not only costs in time but money too. If he had got a big fare his life would be a lot easier as less mucking around and at the end of the journey he will have got enough money to call a wage.

In a busy town like New York, or London a taxi driver may drop off and pick up. But even here, there are times of the day when this cannot happen. In Pattaya there is no chance of this. To make it worse, Pattaya is regarded as cheap and no one wants to pay the right price for anything. Most people live here on budgets they could not exist on in their own countries.

I get a cab when the bus will not do, and my own transport is out of the question. How often is that? So for the bit extra on a short journey - it can be justified. Also a taxi journey is an experience - it takes practice but to get the most out of a taxi journey with a driver just serving you alone is a skill in itself. Taxis are not for saving money, quiet the opposite, they are a premiun way of getting around - like having your own personal chauffeur. Try making the journey big - get them to wait for you and go on to somewhere else, you will find the fare bigger but better value. Remember - go hire a car, fill it with petrol, go hire a driver who has experience of driving all day and has some idea where he is going. Now after doing all this, just use that for your short journey - that's expensive.

That is you education into taxi driving. How do I know all this? You figure it out.wink.pngwai2.gifwai.gif

"Any short journey in any taxi anywhere in the world is going to work out dearer than a long journey - for the driver the short journey is work and not well rewarded even when the passenger feels they are overpaying. Why is this?"

Quite, and in Bangkok where the taxis are forever engaged, that might be a valid point ... although in Bangkok if you give the driver a distant destination as you settle into your seat, you're quite likely to be back on the pavement looking for another cab, which seems to fly in the face of your heart-felt reasoning.

If the drivers here and in Bangkok actually used the meter ( and the meter rate was reasonable for all concerned) that would probably get them more fares. Starting out by quoting some unrealistic amount just sends potential riders off. I find the drivers in Bangkok, including those who ask not to use the meter, to be far more reasonable.

Most people live here on budgets they could not exist on in their own countries.

Including taxi drivers. ( ... those here as compared to those in my country ... wherever that is).

Anyway, the casual observer in Pattaya will notice that the realistic choice for most taxi drivers here isn't long versus short journeys, but any journey at all versus doing nothing other than chatting up the other drivers who also have nothing to do in the stagnant queue. Even those parked in front of places like Central Festival or Avenue appear to spend most of their time chatting or dozing.

Are you all bonkers !!

You say that as if it were a bad thing.

And actually I have someone who drives me about most of the time and who ends up costing me a great deal more than any taxi driver, but I get to change the station on the radio and play with the a/c. and if we didn't complain about taxis, taxes and the weather life would be less meaningful.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Never have a decent taxi service as people do not want to pay for such a service. The truth of the matter is that a decent taxi service is only viable when you have big businesses in an area. Relying on 'Joe Public' could never be enough (as supported by the above comments). You therefore only get the level of service that mirrors the type of demand in any given area.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

...Actually, I am often surprised at how good the taxis are in Pattaya & Bangkok given the conditions they operate under. But then I suppose when I get a Taxi it probably is a different experience for me anyway as I am more knowledgable in this area.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Plenty of Taxi Meters roaming Pattaya now and ranks of them parked at Central Mall as well. Took me from Central Festival to old Dolphin Roundabout for 70 Baht without turning meter on.

If you say so. They never turn on the meters. My impression is they generally don't budge for under 200 baht. Why call them taxi meters when they never turn on the meters? I call them taxi FAKE meters.

Plenty of Taxi Meters roaming Pattaya now and ranks of them parked at Central Mall as well. Took me from Central Festival to old Dolphin Roundabout for 70 Baht without turning meter on.

If you say so. They never turn on the meters. My impression is they generally don't budge for under 200 baht. Why call them taxi meters when they never turn on the meters? I call them taxi FAKE meters.

Whats that supposed to mean Pal...??

Go and have a look yourself. 70 Baht quoted and happily paid. Naturally I wide smile and dont give the impression that they are beneath me....

Try it sometime....

The word meter indicates a mechanical device that is used to calculate fares as the taxi moves from point to point.

A car with a sign that says TAXI METER that never agrees to turn on said meter is displaying a DECEPTIVE sign.

Pattaya "Taxi Meters" do not turn on their meters. That is known.

If you got that ride for 70 baht, good on you, it's not a normal taxi car run anyway as it's on the direct baht bus route and most people would just pay 10 baht.

The word meter indicates a mechanical device that is used to calculate fares as the taxi moves from point to point.

A car with a sign that says TAXI METER that never agrees to turn on said meter is displaying a DECEPTIVE sign.

If you got that ride for 70 baht, good on you, it's not a normal taxi car run anyway as it's on the direct baht bus route and most people would just pay 10 baht.

Dont try to tell me how the Baht Taxi Mafia run sunshine. Suspect I was in town decades before you landed for the first time. In the meantime I was loaded down with expensive shopping from Central mall and it was pissing down

70 Baht was a cracking price as if I'd chartered a Baht Bus on my own I'd probably have been rammed for 150 Baht and I would have been soaked. As it was said Taxi meter dropped me literally under cover at the Hotel.

I smiled and I got a result

Edited by Chivas

Then I guess you have never been to Phuket?

Dont try to tell me how the Baht Taxi Mafia run sunshine. Suspect I was in town decades before you landed for the first time. In the meantime I was loaded down with expensive shopping from Central mall and it was pissing down

70 Baht was a cracking price as if I'd chartered a Baht Bus on my own I'd probably have been rammed for 150 Baht and I would have been soaked. As it was said Taxi meter dropped me literally under cover at the Hotel.

I smiled and I got a result

As the taxi brought you to your "hotel" you are obviously a visitor to Pattaya and not fit to go up against the doyen of the Pattaya taxi system - JT. Let me give it to you straight; If you paid what you claimed to pay you are very lucky - pure and simple.

Most likely you met a Pattaya Meter Taxi driver who was on some form of benevolent Ya Baa, and the fare he charged you had absolutely nothing to do with your winning personality and bright smile......sunshine.

• Like 1