Jolly Frier fish & Chips

rocky123

one month jomtien and last friday pattaya

pattaya is much better

didn't say 50% bigger, you did

I said "not 50% bigger" because the basic local F&C in Soi Lengkee is 50% more expensive than at Jomtien. To get 50% more might be a valid reason for the extra 50% cost, but this is not the case.

anyway i had cod at 200 baht,

Then you aren't really comparing the same thing as I was discussing, are you? So what's your point? 200B cod and chips is better than 100B Pacific Dory and chips? I would certainly hope so otherwise those ordering the cod would look pretty stupid, wouldn't they?

i bet that makes you cringe.....

You seriously imagine that anyone apart from you cares about what sort of fish you eat? Amazing.

i have had dory before at both places and have been to both places recently,so i can compare like for like

its better in town on all counts and well worth the extra cost, which i don't have to worry about like you

i had cod last week for a change, and just this once i will tell you my meal in fact consisted of cod 200 baht, large chips 70 baht, battered jumbo sausage 65 baht, mushy peas 50 baht, x2 cans of iced tea 50 baht=445 baht

i enjoyed every satang of it, however, because you are a renowned cheap charlie on TV, (where price always comes into play every time you post) and a closet frugal Freddie, i said the price tag would make you cringe

still stinging from past exchanges, you follow my posts around TV, seeking opportunities to make vitriolic comment

even minimalist communication with you ensures a new version of a novella being trotted out in response but i know you are an easy wind up and frankly its becoming pretty boring, even unbecoming on my part, its simply too easy, like shooting ducks in a barrel.

please stretch yourself intellectually, exercise not putting a cost on everything you write about and try to be more interesting saai.gif

thank you

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to the Village Chippy a couple of days ago. First and last time.

Fish soggy.

HP sauce had a different taste to normal, then some guy there tells me he makes a copy of HP sauce (more fruity) and fills the HP bottles with it!. It was awful. He might at least have removed the HP label.

Well it does say

• Minimum Delivery Order 200 Baht: Delivery Charge 40 Baht

I thought perhaps you were outside their delivery range.

Was the 150 baht on a written invoice?

Methinks guy on motorcycle added a 'dumb falang' tax. :D

I must agree to another reply. The Jolly Friar probably is not aware of the mark-up in delivery prices, as the delivery companies are independent of the restaurant. Also, I have noticed that their sign price for fish & chips has risen very quickly from under 100 baht to over 150 baht. However, I go in a order fish and mashed potatoes, and my check says 100 baht, small fish. The small is as big as the plate, and is the same size as I have always gotten. Very large. I am very happy with them.

Where about is Simon's in Jontiem?

At the Hanuman statue turn the bend as if your going to the Beach, and Simon's is on the right

not far from the statue roundabout...

You got to drive slow else you will miss it.........

Errm not to sure where you're talking about, but Simple Simons in on soi 5 past immigration, beach direction on the right.

I ordered the 100bt fish and chips in Jomtien.

Cut into the fish and see a worm. Cut into another section of the filet and see another worm. (dead of course). Didn't take a single bite.

Check please.

The waitress took the money and wasn't concerned that I obviously didn't even taste the stuff.

And why exactly did you pay for something so patently unsatisfactory?

I've eaten there many times and have never had anything wrong with my meal. But if I did find something wrong such as you describe they would wait forever to be paid.

I didn't feel like complaining.

It was only 100bt. and a test to see if the waitress was brain dead.

Indeed, if this was all such a non-event for you, both gastronomically and fiscally, why post anything at all?

Well it does say

• Minimum Delivery Order 200 Baht: Delivery Charge 40 Baht

I thought perhaps you were outside their delivery range.

Was the 150 baht on a written invoice?

Methinks guy on motorcycle added a 'dumb falang' tax. biggrin.png

Khao Noi is NOT Pattaya. It is on the dark-side, Nong Phrue, and depending on where the posters residence is could be many kms from the restaurant. I'd suggest that the 40 baht is for delivery in Pattaya only. I mean would you expect them to deliver to Bangkok for 40 baht! Just how much would you pay for a m/c taxi from Soi Lengkee to Khao Noi. Much Much more than 40 baht. I pay 40 or 50 baht to go downtown from my light-side house. A trip of ~2kms. If I was going, which I never would, to Khao Noi I expect it to be well over 100.

If you want the cheaper accommodation of the dark-side don't expect to get the Pattaya delivery prices.

Where about is Simon's in Jontiem?

At the Hanuman statue turn the bend as if your going to the Beach, and Simon's is on the right

not far from the statue roundabout...

You got to drive slow else you will miss it.........

Errm not to sure where you're talking about, but Simple Simons in on soi 5 past immigration, beach direction on the right.

We are not talking about Simple Simons. Simon's Fish and Chips is just past Hanuman statue, as correctly stated before.

embrace the ambience and try local nosh - fantastic???? really? Is that the ambience of dogs and beggars at your table of things fried in palm oil, or the locals with their mouts open and fingers up their noses and picking their feet?

You'd be lucky to see a thai go 2 days overseas without breaking out mama noodles - nowt wrong with liking your own grub.

Try the haddock at black swan bkk

• Like 2

i have had dory before at both places and have been to both places recently,so i can compare like for like

its better in town on all counts and well worth the extra cost, which i don't have to worry about like you

i had cod last week for a change, and just this once i will tell you my meal in fact consisted of cod 200 baht, large chips 70 baht, battered jumbo sausage 65 baht, mushy peas 50 baht, x2 cans of iced tea 50 baht=445 baht

i enjoyed every satang of it, however, because you are a renowned cheap charlie on TV, (where price always comes into play every time you post) and a closet frugal Freddie, i said the price tag would make you cringe

I doubt your sanity.

still stinging from past exchanges, you follow my posts around TV, seeking opportunities to make vitriolic comment

even minimalist communication with you ensures a new version of a novella being trotted out in response but i know you are an easy wind up and frankly its becoming pretty boring, even unbecoming on my part, its simply too easy, like shooting ducks in a barrel.

please stretch yourself intellectually, exercise not putting a cost on everything you write about and try to be more interesting

Correction. I have no doubts at all.

I ordered the 100bt fish and chips in Jomtien.

Cut into the fish and see a worm. Cut into another section of the filet and see another worm. (dead of course). Didn't take a single bite.

Check please.

The waitress took the money and wasn't concerned that I obviously didn't even taste the stuff.

And why exactly did you pay for something so patently unsatisfactory?

I've eaten there many times and have never had anything wrong with my meal. But if I did find something wrong such as you describe they would wait forever to be paid.

I didn't feel like complaining.

It was only 100bt. and a test to see if the waitress was brain dead.

Indeed, if this was all such a non-event for you, both gastronomically and fiscally, why post anything at all?

This thread is a bitchfest about fish & chips. That was my story.

• Like 1

I would have refused delivery.

The service charge as listed is without service area conditions, so if they deliver the 40 baht is the maximum charge irrespective of where you live. They could have refused to deliver if it was outside their service area.

• Like 1

Friar Tucks a 3 shophouses down from Jolly Friar does nice Fish and Chips for 99 Baht. Very large fish piece, the fries portion is a bit on the small side, as is the side salad.

And they got proper drink prices: Big Leo 59 baht, Soda cans 25 baht and water 15 baht. IIRC even the normal 5 baht water bottles from the supermarket are 40 Baht at Jolly Friar, one reason I don't go there anymore. Also, they hiked up the price for fish an chips from 119 to 149 3 months ago (is it more now?) so In the end with drinks you pay nearly double than what you pay at Friar Tucks.

Edited by MaikB84
  • Like 1

I've ordered delivery from them several times in the past year and on more than one occasion I have been blown away by the quickness of the delivery. Really from the time I hung up the phone to the time there was a knock at my door, 10-15 minutes had gone by. Granted, I was having my orders delivered fairly nearby, just before Big C Extra. I've never been overcharged on the delivery either.

Just around the corner on 3rd road is the village chippy, much better product much better prices. Home delivery.- opposite fire station on 3rd road.

I'm at work in Philippines, so cant give you their number at the moment.

see my post No 32 above!

I agree I found the Village chippy does not serve good Fish. Maybe their other products are good but not the fish.

Den

If you had these delivered from Whitby it would cost £647.30 Cash on delivery of course PLUS tip Big Tip i think you got a bargain pay the extra 110 baht or send me a begging letter & i will pay it for you..

ps FISH & CHIPS IN THAILAND embrace the ambiance try local nosh fantastic . or move to Benidorm..

What a stupid reply. Pathetic

Yes, truly pathetic, I hope for the posters sake that he is on a wind up as that is proper cringeworthy.

I like Thai food, but 3x a day for 365 days a year? No thanks.

You eat 3 x a day? I find I can only manage twice with the heat making me not hungry.

I tried several different fish and chip places last time in Pattaya, and didn't like any of them, as the fish was invariably too oily and more like mush than a nice bit of fish. However, none of them came anywhere near 400 baht. That's getting to be Sizzler price.

Also, some places have no idea how to make chips- awful.

I tried several different fish and chip places last time in Pattaya, and didn't like any of them, as the fish was invariably too oily and more like mush than a nice bit of fish. However, none of them came anywhere near 400 baht. That's getting to be Sizzler price.

Actually the fish and chips at Sizzler is about 250B which includes the full salad bar, pasta, soup etc. Though when I go there I normally just have the salad bar on its own which is about 190B. Not many places here have a decent salad bar.

Most F&C places here charge a lot more for frozen cod than they do for local fish though personally I dont find the frozen cod to be much better, and often it is worse.

• Like 1

If you had these delivered from Whitby it would cost £647.30 Cash on delivery of course PLUS tip Big Tip i think you got a bargain pay the extra 110 baht or send me a begging letter & i will pay it for you..

ps FISH & CHIPS IN THAILAND embrace the ambiance try local nosh fantastic . or move to Benidorm..

What a stupid reply. Pathetic

Yes, truly pathetic, I hope for the posters sake that he is on a wind up as that is proper cringeworthy.

I like Thai food, but 3x a day for 365 days a year? No thanks.You eat 3 x a day? I find I can only manage twice with the heat making me not hungry.

Also, some places have no idea how to make chips- awful.

My point was that I don't want to be eating Thai food around the clock. I thought that was prety obvious really, but you carry on pulling the hairs out of it.

Actually the fish and chips at Sizzler is about 250B which includes the full salad bar, pasta, soup etc. Though when I go there I normally just have the salad bar on its own which is about 190B. Not many places here have a decent salad bar.

Most F&C places here charge a lot more for frozen cod than they do for local fish though personally I dont find the frozen cod to be much better, and often it is worse.

Sorry, that's not correct about Sizzler price ( in Chiang Mai anyway ). I went there last week and the cheapest standard fish and chips meal ( including full salad bar, pasta, soup etc. ) was 395, rising to over 500 depending on fish type.

I could have waited an hour and got the dinner time special price had I not been ravenous though ( still more than 250 ).

However, the kid's meal fish and chips was quite cheap.

I was disappointed with the meal though, as the fish and chips my wife makes are nicer than theirs- lesson learned.