Gay Marriage vs. Civil Partnership

onthemoon

Yes, JT, we understand your point. Please try to understand the European point, too.

The whole notion that marriage is an "upgrade" to civil union is your US point of view, in Europe it is seen the other way around: "Marriage" is considered an outdated concept and the fight is for an upgrade to full legal equality for civil unions.

Please understand and accept that this is the difference.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is fairly obvious to me that both the EU and the US are headed in the same direction, but just with some variations in terminology due to laws. Both are recognizing the validity of a relationship between same-sex couples.

Hopefully, in the future the differences will be about as significant as whether or not to put a 'U' in color.

Yes, JT, we understand your point. Please try to understand the European point, too.

The whole notion that marriage is an "upgrade" to civil union is your US point of view, in Europe it is seen the other way around: "Marriage" is considered an outdated concept and the fight is for an upgrade to full legal equality for civil unions.

Please understand and accept that this is the difference.

No, it is NOT only a U.S. point of view. Upgrade movements, civil union to marriage have happened in a number of countries, and civil unions are widely seen internationally as a FIRST STEP transitional strategy. Yes, even in THAILAND ... CLEARLY. Also, as I have said before, civil unions are not the same -- you don't know what level of equality they have with marriage or whether they include same and opposite sex just with the name. I do agree, this is something that is better looked at on a case by case basis. I understand the point you are making about some European countries but it is indeed not meaningful in the American domestic context and sorry in the American domestic context the path from civil union to marriage is OBJECTIVELY an UPGRADE (federal recognition). I think the U.S. IMMIGRATION will certainly fully recognize INTERNATIONAL same sex marriage or any other words they are called with similar rights.

Also again, in the U.S. marriage needs NO CONTACT whatsoever with ANY religion. You can go to city hall and treat it like applying for a parking permit. No religious authority figure is needed.

Edited by Jingthing

Yes, we all understand that you are talking about the US domestic situation. No doubt there are other countries that consider the term "marriage" an upgrade from "civil union". There are also countries that see it the other way around. Let's leave it at that for now and watch what the future brings.

I agree with Scott that in summary, all is going into the right direction and this debate is only a question of terminology.

(By the way, you don't need to YELL at us.)