Household toilet problems... I have been WRONG for years

kiwiinasia

I watched the video and the guy says the most common cause of toilets backing up is toilet paper.

I got a new house and a new septic system. If ya all want to use toilet paper ya all can go outside and poop with my dog.

Inside the house no one is using toilet paper. Yes I inform them.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched the video and the guy says the most common cause of toilets backing up is toilet paper.

I got a new house and a new septic system. If ya all want to use toilet paper ya all can go outside and poop with my dog.

Inside the house no one is using toilet paper. Yes I inform them.

Hmmm, strange that I have no probs with toilet tissue after 7 years at my place. I have a poo tank and gray water outlet, smile.png

• Like 1

I must have been lucky over the 10 odd years I have lived in Thailand then.

Never had this issue before.

Oh well time to buy a smell proof toilet basket thingy and use the bum gun.

Moral of the story: "Don't rent an apartment that has a plunger next to the toilet!"

No, that's not the moral of the story.

The moral of the story is: "Don't rent an apartment to a clueless farang."

Hmmm, strange that I have no probs with toilet tissue after 7 years at my place. I have a poo tank and gray water outlet, smile.png

Not everyone who smokes dies of lung cancer and not everyone who drinks becomes an alcoholic. smile.png Not strange. What is strange is that you think 60 million Thais are wrong and two Farangs on Thai Visa are right.

Edited by thailiketoo

Not everyone who smokes dies of lung cancer and not everyone who drinks becomes an alcoholic. smile.png Not strange. What is strange is that you think 60 million Thais are wrong and two Farangs on Thai Visa are right.

Isn't it strange that this farang fixed stuff so it worked rolleyes.gif , Isn't it strange that THIS farang dug up his kitchen floor to find other drainage problems and fixed it. coffee1.gif Very strange that..........coffee1.gif

bah.gif

Yet another thread on the scatological habits of expats, wanting to compare technique.

Guys, there are beaches here.

EDIT: D@mn that spellchecker!

What is it with our forum members' intense interest in the subject?

We all have the option to hit the back button or the power off button.

Live and let live.

Isn't it strange that this farang fixed stuff so it worked rolleyes.gif , Isn't it strange that THIS farang dug up his kitchen floor to find other drainage problems and fixed it. coffee1.gif Very strange that..........coffee1.gif

When we point a finger at others, the other three are pointed back at us.

Live and let live.

I've always managed to clear blockages by pouring various types of chemicals down there,and using a plunger an never really had a problem.

I posted something about this as recent as a few weeks ago in another thread somewhere on this forum.

This must have been some kind of bad omen because within days of making that post I got a serious blockage that would not be cleared using any of the previous methods.

I know the pipework where I live is adequate for wads of toilet paper as I've been here with only minor issues for just over a year now. At one point I had a cold and must have blew my nose dozens of times and I flushed it all and it all went down no problem.

I rapidly came to a conclusion about the recent blockage : I blame the girlfriend.

You can put any amount of toilet paper down the toilet without causing a serious blockage but one sanitary pad can potantially cause a block so bad physical action will need to be taken.

First we called someone out to empty the septic tank at the request of the guy who was going to do the unblocking.

There are two toilets in the house and they appear to have separate pipes which then join into a single pipe which goes into the tank - the blockage was in the single pipe after the individual pipes join as one so it was quite deep. I could tell this as when I plunged one of the toilets air bubbles came up into the other so the blockage was stronger than the pressure created by the plunger so the displaced water I plunged sent the air in the pipe by the route of least resistance which was back up the other toilet.

The guy with the electric snake came out, wasted his time trying to clear it with the small manual snake which is only good for blockages within about 60cm of the toilet.

This didn't work as the blockage was deeper.

So then he got his heavy duty electric snake thing out - this is an impressive piece of kit with reels of reasonably wide coiled metal. The coils were 5 Meters long and they were extendable by attaching another coil to the end of it. This is not something that's going to make it aound the u-bend in the toilet so you need direct access to the pipe in the floor.

He removed the toilet whch took a couple of minues then fed this thing down there, extended it and it cleared the pipe all the way into the tank.

Had he just removed the coil there would have been crap all over the bathroom but obviously this guy knows what he's doing as before he turned the machine into reverse to withdraw the pipe he stuck a hosepipe pumping water down the toilet pipe and used it to wash the coil as it came out.

Result : clean bathroom, unblocked pipe and both toilets working again. A professional job well done.

He put the toilet back in place with some sealant around the base and said don't use it for about 5 hours while the seal dries.

Sanitary pads were responsible for the cause of this serious blockage. It was working fine until she stuffed a few of those things down there.

bah.gif

Yet another thread on the scatological habits of expats, wanting to compare technique.

Guys, there are beaches here.

EDIT: D@mn that spellchecker!

What is it with our forum members' intense interest in the subject?

We all have the option to hit the back button or the power off button.

Live and let live.

Live and let live, Ben, we're just kidding.

When we point a finger at others, the other three are pointed back at us.

Live and let live.

I did and it was all f............ up, then, did it myself. Now, nooooooooooooo problems. intheclub.gif.pagespeed.ce.TVIbELwsxN.gi

Jsixpack and anyone else against the subject of thai toilet training.... Get a life. Its lighthearted for a change, a bit if fun and something i never understood until i read all the posts. I would not use a public bum gun as everyone calls them, so yes i double the paper and wipe or swipe. And i do at home too after shooting myself with the bum gun.

When I moved into my new place, the toilets were backed up from previous faraang tenant.

the landlady brought in a plumber who cleared the blockage and it was all toilet paper.

I realized from the start to be careful with the tp and rely on the bum gun and I blow my nose into sink and wash, no tissue.

It is so much more environmentally responsible as well. The rest of the world should adopt the bum gun.

Fess up please!!

You admit to being a "typical kiwi" so we all can see though this:-

Only reason he had to remove the toilet was to remove the sheep you had tried to flush down there in a hurry (yes, you remember that day: the one your wife unexpectedly came home early while you were enjoying your wooly friend). laugh.png

Edited by fire and ice

Bum gun and dry with paper which then goes in the bin !!

Yes, same here.

Hi powered bum squirter thingy and use a towel for boldly drying where no toilet tissue has boldly dried before.

I never use bog paper at home in Thailand.

I also never bother to clean the towel. After a couple of weeks of use, it manages to crawl along it`s self and make it`s own way to the washing machine.

Don't understand why you need to double up tissue. i use only one sheet of tissue each time

DeUP2.jpg

Royal Marine training that! Use your finger, and use one, only one, sheet of paper to wipe the finger. Royal Marines, second best fighting company, second to the Gurkha Regiments, in the World, please listen.

Thread could be renamed:

"The Tissue Issue"

My Thai landlord said:

"Only Farang have this problem.

Only Farang use paper.

Only Farang should have to fix!"

So I hired a Farang!

attachicon.gifCloggedToilet.png

Id like to see a Thai draw a map of the world with Farangland in?? maybe it starts at the Thai borders?

What a strange comment. I wonder how many people in the West can draw a map of the World with Thailand in it?

We must have exceptionally good plumbing at our house, either that or I've just been lucky.

Never had a blocked Loo/Dunny/Crapper in more than 7 years of me using the paper, sometimes quite a lot of it.

Few days ago, I decided to use the Bum Gun, just to please my wife. She and our daughter use it all the time and expressed the thought, when we lived in Oz, that the lack of a Bum Gun perhaps indicated people were not very clean.

After managing to almost Blast Off certain vital parts the first time, I got the hang of it (using the Bum Gun, that is) and my wife is now dare I say it, "FLUSHED WITH SUCCESS" at having at last, trained her Barbarian Farang Husband in the fine art of .....whatever you like to call it.

• Like 1

Thread could be renamed:

"The Tissue Issue"

My Thai landlord said:

"Only Farang have this problem.

Only Farang use paper.

Only Farang should have to fix!"

So I hired a Farang!

attachicon.gifCloggedToilet.png

Id like to see a Thai draw a map of the world with Farangland in?? maybe it starts at the Thai borders?

What a strange comment. I wonder how many people in the West can draw a map of the World with Thailand in it?

even better ask a Thai for directions in Thailand

I was potty trained over a half-century ago. My mom did a good job, and I've never looked back.

Oh please, when your only bottom friend is a wad of tissue paper, everyone looks back, and directly at it after application, no matter how much people say they never do, they do it, a little like looking into the hanky after a good nose blow.

After I discovered the bum gun, the only thing I check is that the flush has worked as it should, don't want to leave any surprises for the next user.