PC not booting and no noise

Jingthing

OK seeking a clue on what is probably wrong. While the PC was on but in sleep mode stopped being to restore display by moving the mouse. So shut off the PC and powered up but no boot noise and no display. Suspected a display issue but as no boot noise I guess it's something else. Any ideas? Dead hd perhaps?

Sent from my GT-S5360B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Agree - desktop or laptop?

Try something else in the wall socket to make sure there is power there.

Desktop or laptop - are you getting any of the normal LED's that show it is on? If not,

Desktop - I would suspect the power supply and laptop the charging cord/transformer or a shorted battery.

Laptop. Can you read whether that battery is charged?

More info please?

OK. Sorry I wasn't clear enough. The power is working. Lights on as normal. Fans running. No I detect no normal boot sounds. It is a desktop. Based on this now any theories?

If you don't detect any hard drive activity nor display then first thought would be what would affect both/what is common to both? Power supply (one or more of the several voltages produced by the supply), RAM, and/or motherboard. But even with no RAM installed or defective you should still be able to get a initial BIOS boot-up display. And a bad hard drive should also still allow a BIOS bootup display. Seems to be pointing to your motherboard or power supply. But you could try removing some of the plug in cards, RAM, etc., to see if that makes a major change in boot-up activity/display/sounds because sometimes a bad board can be dragging down/shutting down motherboard control/bootup which means about all you will get is some pretty indicator lights.

You do not get any beeps, then it means the motherboard or cpu. Those two have to work to get any post (power on self test) beeps.

Usual power supply failure entails the ps shutting off without any notice.

If it was ram failure, you should get a certain amount of beeps (1 long and 3 short beeps for AMI bios).

You have grounded outlets at your home?

Resecure all connection inside, unplug totally from mains and all external connections for a while and try again, the power supply has multiple voltages... it is possible that 12v is working but perhaps 5V isnt.. do you see any led activity?

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I had something similiar happen years ago on A desktop.My hard drive was done.Take it to A computer shop

Best awnser so far. I have repaired many computers before.. You could know by bios beeps what was wrong and such. But computer shops have spare parts they can switch to see if it is truly what they think it is. It probably wont be too expensive.. depending on what is broken.

Thanks for the clues. I will need to take it in. Just wanted some ideas about possible reasons.

Jingthing, take it tom Tukcom 4th floor (maybe 3rd) computer shop in the corner right hand as you come up the stairs B300 service fee, they will tell you the problem

I had something similiar happen years ago on A desktop.My hard drive was done.Take it to A computer shop

Best awnser so far. I have repaired many computers before.. You could know by bios beeps what was wrong and such. But computer shops have spare parts they can switch to see if it is truly what they think it is. It probably wont be too expensive.. depending on what is broken.

even without a drive or a broken drive the BIOS should show up on the screen (as mentioned by Pib already). one possibility is that the PC is running but the screen is broken or the cable disconnected.

even without a drive or a broken drive the BIOS should show up on the screen (as mentioned by Pib already).

Indeed.

one possibility is that the PC is running but the screen is broken or the cable disconnected.

If this was so the POST beeps would still be audible, and apparently they are not.

The lithion battery on the board, whether desktop or laptop, just allows the BIOS to remember its settings when the computer is turned off. If the battery was dead the computer will still bootup except you get an error message saying the BIOS needed to be set up, date/time need to be set up, maybe a beep code, etc. It probably wouldn't cause a computer to act almost completely dead. Plus, it's unlikely a lithium battery would just completely die suddenly verses first starting to give indications of not holding a charge very long... like losing the BIOS settings when the computer has been turned off for a couple days.

Sent from my Samsung S4 (GT-I9500)

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

Not rushing to the shop yet. Thinking it might be time again to shop for new. Thanks again for all the clues. I agree if it was only the display the boot beeps would still play.

It sounds like the same problem I just had. It turned out to be a the C: drive connection. I just unplugged it from the drive and plugged it back onto the drive. The problem was gone after that. Like somebody else said, remove the RAM and cards to clean the connectors with a pencil rubber. This has saved me going to the repair people or buying a new computer before.

even without a drive or a broken drive the BIOS should show up on the screen (as mentioned by Pib already).

Indeed.

one possibility is that the PC is running but the screen is broken or the cable disconnected.

If this was so the POST beeps would still be audible, and apparently they are not.

none of my PCs beep.

OK. Sorry I wasn't clear enough. The power is working. Lights on as normal. Fans running. No I detect no normal boot sounds. It is a desktop. Based on this now any theories?

JT,

1) did your PC usually do one beep when booting up when it was still working?

2) Do you now see the HDD activity LED blink when the PC should be booting (and did that LED usually blink when working ok)?

If 1) is yes and it doesn't beep anymore, then it's the motherboard.

If 1) is yes and 2) is yes, then your computer is still working, but the display is wasted

If 1) is no and 2) is no, it could be anything. disabling BIOS beeps or disconnecting / not installing the internal speaker is not a good idea.

Edited by manarak

none of my PCs beep.

Ah well. Into every life a little rain must fall. Maybe your POST is turned off?

The OP did specifically mention that he was not hearing the usual boot noise (by which I understand the POST beeps). So he should still hear them even with no monitor connected at all.

Not rushing to the shop yet. Thinking it might be time again to shop for new. Thanks again for all the clues. I agree if it was only the display the boot beeps would still play.

Have you tried removing the power lead completely as I suggested?

My PC regularly "dies" after brief power cuts and the only thing that gets it to boot properly again is to remove the power cable for at least 15 minutes. After that it works just fine.

Once you have tried that you can look at removing all the cards (RAM, video, PCI) and drive cables from their slots and replacing them after gentle cleaning, though this is probably a job for a bloke in Tukcom who is used to doing it.

At the same time, check the BIOS battery as mentioned though you would normally have seen signs of this failing. The most commonly-noticed sign is the PC forgetting the correct time/date.

And if none of that helps then it is indeed likely that one of the power supply lines has died. They aren't that expensive to replace and it seems pointless to change an entire PC unless it was already too old/slow for your needs.

• Like 1