Import Engine / Trans

seedy

I know a guy that had a v8 racing engine and transmission shipped over from the US with a cost of about $20K USD. All in he said the shipping and "taxes" here came to about 200K. Not sure of any other details as I didn't inquire further, but I think that was with a helping hand locally.

I am currently considering importing a 2nd hand Toyota Diesel V8 from the US.

Its a 1VD engine and I just cannot find it in the Thai market.

The cost of the engine and the shipping is fairly low.

But I am also wondering about what will happen (and to what price) if and when I try to clear customs in Bangkok.

But I am also wondering about what will happen (and to what price) if and when I try to clear customs in Bangkok.

Thats when ''their'' fun begins. sad.png

You putting this into your boat, Melvin?

Doing what is - at this point - just a little checking, I have been unable to get a clear answer to costs once the items land in Thailand.

When told that a bill of sale will be with arriving, was told - in not too many words - "Will look at this and decide then"

Kind of leave the whole question very open ended - and subject to an unpleasant feeling in the nether regions.

Will keep on trying to get an answer - getting used to the large bump on my head.

You putting this into your boat, Melvin?

right, that is the idea, iff I can get hold of the mill at a reasonable price,

the US company charges about 1300 USD delivered to BKK (customs warehouse)

not bad

then what will happen to what price when going through customs is an open question

great mill, about 300 hp and 430 (or was it 340?) Nm from 1200 rpm upwards

Doing what is - at this point - just a little checking, I have been unable to get a clear answer to costs once the items land in Thailand.

When told that a bill of sale will be with arriving, was told - in not too many words - "Will look at this and decide then"

Kind of leave the whole question very open ended - and subject to an unpleasant feeling in the nether regions.

Will keep on trying to get an answer - getting used to the large bump on my head.

right, I have the same feelings

the US company has a professional agent in BKK that can do the clearance and transport it to my doorstep

guess I'll ask for a binding quote including duty/customs.

U can import any kind of parts, there is no probs. Easly if you buy your engine in Japan. But also from other countries. Al the engines including V8s they sell in Bang Phi are imported. The engine you import should be a second hand one (not good looking)

Thanks Philip. Your advice is very much appreciated.

In all my dealing with the Thai people I have adopted this philosophy. Always smile, speak softly, never get in a hurry, always ask if they can help you ... stood me in good steed. Great advice given to me my first year by a long-time expat.

Just have to wait for the estate to settle and I can move forward.

Be Well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...