Six dead as tourist ferry sinks off Pattaya resort

webfact

Six dead as tourist ferry sinks off Thai resort

BANGKOK, November 4, 2013 (AFP) - A packed tourist ferry sank Sunday off the Thai resort of Pattaya, killing six passengers including three foreigners in the latest deadly incident to tarnish the kingdom's image as a tourism haven.

Fifteen people were also seriously injured, according to police in Pattaya, a popular beach resort south of Bangkok renowned for its racy nightlife.

Reports said a Russian child was among those seriously hurt.

"So far there are six dead from the boat," Pattaya police chief Colonel Suwarn Chiewnawintawat told AFP, adding three Thais, a Chinese and two other -- as yet unidentified -- foreigners were among the dead.

Television footage showed stunned tourists being led to safety on shore where they were met by dozens of ambulances along Pattaya's neon-lit beachfront.

Playing down earlier reports that people remained trapped in the stricken vessel, he said all of the other 150 passengers had been plucked from the sea.

The double-decker ferry sank on Sunday afternoon near Koh Larn, a small island close to Pattaya which is popular with daytrippers.

Police said they are probing the cause of the accident as local media reports blamed an engine problem on the overcrowded ferry for causing passengers to run to one side of the boat, which forced it to list.

Confirming the toll a second policeman told AFP that the frantic relatives of the passengers alerted local emergency services to the disaster at around 5pm local time (1100 GMT), sparking the rescue effort.

Russian news reports said three Russians, including a child, had been taken to hospital in a serious condition.

"At least half of the passengers were Russian tourists," a Russian embassy official in Bangkok was quoted as saying by the Ria Novosti news agency.

Renowned for its strip clubs and bars and cheap accommodation, Pattaya is one of Thailand's most popular resort areas and has become wildly popular as a package holiday destination for Russians.

It is around 150 kilometres (100 miles) from Bangkok.

Thailand drew 22 million tourists last year, but is struggling to shake off a reputation for lax safety standards after a series of incidents -- many of them fatal.

In May more than 100 people were rescued from a tourist ferry which began to sink in rough seas near the tourist island of Phuket after it was hit by a big wave.

Four people, including tourists died in a nightclub fire in August 2012 also on Phuket, while there have also been slew of high-profile cases of foreigners being murdered, drugged or caught up in tourist cons.

In July, an American tourist was allegedly stabbed to death by three Thai musicians after he refused to stop singing at a bar. His death came weeks the murder of another US citizen in a row with a taxi driver in Bangkok.

Diplomats from China and the European Union have voiced concern at the number of fatal incidents involving their tourists.

In recent years the kingdom's tourist-friendly image as "the Land of Smiles" has also been tarnished by political violence and devastating floods.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-11-04

• Like 1

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATED: 6 dead, over 100 injured in Pattaya Larn Island Ferry Disaster

PATTAYA: -- Current reports suggest 6 people have been killed and up to 200 people have been injured in, what is being described as, Pattaya’s worst marine accident in living history.

Just after 4pm on Sunday reports began to come in of a Passenger Ferry which had sunk off the coast of Larn Island. It was quickly confirmed that the boat was carrying far more people than it is licensed to.

As of time of publication the names or nationalities of those who have died have not been officially confirmed and the figure is set to rise, as up to 20 of the injured are currently in critical condition in Hospital. One Police source suggested 3 Thai Nationals, 2 Russians and 1 Chinese Tourists were those that died and others are feared missing presumed drowned.

The boat which sunk was named as the “Koh Larn Travel 1” Ferry which is a 2-storey ferry with a licensed capacity of 150 passengers. It has now been confirmed that 209 passengers were on-board when it sunk approximately 500 meters off the coast of Nuan Beach on Larn island, approximately 7kms off the coast of Pattaya. Unconfirmed reports suggest a water pump was not working on the vessel which caused it to sink in under 1 minute after passengers quickly moved to the upper-deck making the boat highly unstable.

Emergency vessels and private vessels were quickly on-scene to help those in the water. Some were administered CPR at the scene which continued at the Bali Hai Port. The list of those who lost their lives is expected to be released within the next 24 hours.

Later on Sunday Royal Thai navy Divers were brought in from their base in Sattahip District to begin the task of searching for those missing presumed drowned which is thought to number more than 15.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/107860/6-dead-100-injured-pattaya-larn-island-ferry-disaster/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2013-11-04

so first it was 50 people on t he ferry , then 100 ....then 200 ....... how can people with a minimum of brain would accept to go on those very fragile ferry boat with overcrowd ? I dont get it ...... Not the time to blame of course but many questions are on the table now .... let see what will change as we always say we change with mistakes ..... just wonder how much mistkaes they will need here to change .... sad.png

• Like 1

Over 200 people on board? What a tragedy. The first thing I do is grab a life jacket when on one of these ferries.

RIP

Happens more often in the Philippines (many more islands). I had always thought about bringing two liters of water in plastic bottles. If no life jacket (these things sink in minutes) grab your water, drink as much as you can stomach, put the cap on and at least you have a bit of boyancy, if you don't flounder around. just put one each under your armpit. It works in a jam. Another tip....take off your pants (long jeans i hope) and tie the cuffs in a knot. Zipper it up and trap air in them. Twist the waist and voila.......a life preserver.

Very sad I hope the authorities press charges against the Ferry Company as it is clear rules regarding passenger numbers were not enforced R.I.P to those who perished I fear that the death toll will rise but will be kept very quiet for fear that tourists may decide to go elsewhere !!!!!

Seven die as Pattaya ferry capsizes

1383530687_1.jpg
The ferry was aiming to bring its 200 passengers into the Bali Hai Pier, the landmark landing on the mainland, after a day at the island. (File photo by Patipat Janthong)

PATTAYA: -- Seven people were killed, four foreigners and three Thais, after a tourist ferry capsized about 100 metres off the main Bali Hai pier in Pattaya Sunday evening.

More than 100 passengers were injured, about 10 seriously, including a nine-year-old Thai boy.

The incident occurred about 5.30pm when the double-decker ferry was en route from Koh Lan to the Bali Hai Pier, Pattaya police superintendent Suwan Chiewnawinthawat said.

Shortly after leaving from Koh Lan with a full load of passengers, the ferry's water pumps broke down and the engine stopped functioning, Pol Col Suwan said.

The passengers on board, acting out of fear, moved to the second deck of the ferry, which tipped the vessel on to one side.

The vessel then swiftly sank into the sea, he said.

There were about 200 passengers on board, the officer said.

"Witnesses said there were neither enough tubes nor life vests on the ferry.Some of those who could not swim had to cling onto coolers or ice containers until rescuers came," said Pol Col Suwan Cheawnavinthavat, chief of Muang Pattaya police station.

Dead are three Russians - one woman and two men - a Chinese man, and three Thais.

Injured passengers were rescued and sent to nearby hospitals with most of them suffering minor injuries. Police were looking for the ferry's captain.

Since the exact number of passengers on board the ferry was not known, authorities and rescuers were still at the scene late Sunday, searching for passengers who might still be missing, Pol Col Suwan said.

The boat accident occurs less than three months after an Aug 28 incident when two Chinese tourists were killed as a speedboat they were travelling in crashed into an anchored long-tailed boat at the Bali Hai Pier.

The speedboat had been taking about 20 Chinese tourists from Koh Lan to Pattaya on the mainland.

The accident prompted authorities to step up safety measures on boat transportation between the island and Pattaya.

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-11-04

First it was 50 passengers, then 150, now we are told at least 209 on a boat licensed for 150,

Then they say the cause was an engine failure that resulted in all the passengers moving to one side of the boat, thus causing the boat to capsize. Typical Thai's, nobody is prepared to take responsibility.

Tragic because it was avoidable - I use ferries a lot in LOS and am also a professional seafarer - I look in complete horror at the inspection dates stamped on the life saving appliances such as lifejackets, life rafts etc. as they are invariably at least several years out of date

The Pak Bara - Koh Lipe ferry lifejackets are still in their plastic bags......

The responsible authorities need to be very much more vigilant in enforcing safety standards if they are to avoid further incidents of this kind.

A major black eye for Pattaya tourism. Hopefully it will spur enforcement of existing marine safety regulations.

I am a sailor and I can tell you .... there are NO marine safety regulations here

I'm sure there are marine safety regulations. Bangkok has a large port for starters. However, I'm equally sure, that regulations are not subject to any form of regular inspection or enforcement. Marine, vehicle, driving, building and hotel regulations - take your pick. All will be treated as optional and no one will care or understand the importance until its too late. Even then, after a disaster, nothing changes.

• Like 2

icense 150 passengers had 209 onboaed. these guys have to get it right. if they had only 150 onboard makes you think if the boat would have sunk.

...is that mandated for 150 Thais or 150 farang,who may be 1/3 heavier than the average Thai.

Over 200 people on board? What a tragedy. The first thing I do is grab a life jacket when on one of these ferries.

RIP

Do they even have lifejackets? I have never seen anyone wearing one on board.

Even if they do have them, I doubt there would be enough, especially if overloaded.

The news report mentioned that Pattaya has strip clubs- why do they always get it wrong? A strip club is where girls take off their clothes to titillate the audience, in Pattaya they come without clothes from the start, in SOME gogos.

• Like 1

Let's hope they leave this ferry where it is and not try and salvage it. Maybe a few more should join it , but without loss of life.

Hope they find the so called Skipper.

Now why did the skipper flee the scene? He was an employee, hired presumably by the ferry company to drive the boat. Just that....drive the boat! He was not responsible for selling too many tickets (or collecting money if no tickets were issued). He did not set the policy of over 150 passengers is acceptable

But he fled the scene. because here in Thailand it is always the lesser beings that get the blame.

The ferry owner(s) need to be arrested for allowing overloaded and possibly ill maintained boats to be used as ferries. Easily said, but who are they? No doubt some Police or Army bigwigs using their ill gotten gains -so they are untouchable.

Wake up Thailand. The world is watching. No matter how powerful one is or how much money one has, we are and should all be equal in law.

Edited by Rimmer
Off topic and not relevant
  • Like 1

Nothing changes.fact is European American and Australian consulates need to have in their travel advisory in BOLD letters. "Beware of travelling in Thailand" I dont want to hear this " statistically the chances are low being in an accident" diatribe, Its widespread and not always reported.figures for deaths and injuries in the country are innacurrate,deliberately.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1