Six dead as tourist ferry sinks off Pattaya resort

webfact

Seven die as Pattaya ferry capsizes

1383530687_1.jpg

The ferry was aiming to bring its 200 passengers into the Bali Hai Pier, the landmark landing on the mainland, after a day at the island. (File photo by Patipat Janthong)

PATTAYA: -- Seven people were killed, four foreigners and three Thais, after a tourist ferry capsized about 100 metres off the main Bali Hai pier in Pattaya Sunday evening.

More than 100 passengers were injured, about 10 seriously, including a nine-year-old Thai boy.

The incident occurred about 5.30pm when the double-decker ferry was en route from Koh Lan to the Bali Hai Pier, Pattaya police superintendent Suwan Chiewnawinthawat said.

Shortly after leaving from Koh Lan with a full load of passengers, the ferry's water pumps broke down and the engine stopped functioning, Pol Col Suwan said.

The passengers on board, acting out of fear, moved to the second deck of the ferry, which tipped the vessel on to one side.

The vessel then swiftly sank into the sea, he said.

There were about 200 passengers on board, the officer said.

"Witnesses said there were neither enough tubes nor life vests on the ferry.Some of those who could not swim had to cling onto coolers or ice containers until rescuers came," said Pol Col Suwan Cheawnavinthavat, chief of Muang Pattaya police station.

Dead are three Russians - one woman and two men - a Chinese man, and three Thais.

Injured passengers were rescued and sent to nearby hospitals with most of them suffering minor injuries. Police were looking for the ferry's captain.

Since the exact number of passengers on board the ferry was not known, authorities and rescuers were still at the scene late Sunday, searching for passengers who might still be missing, Pol Col Suwan said.

The boat accident occurs less than three months after an Aug 28 incident when two Chinese tourists were killed as a speedboat they were travelling in crashed into an anchored long-tailed boat at the Bali Hai Pier.

The speedboat had been taking about 20 Chinese tourists from Koh Lan to Pattaya on the mainland.

The accident prompted authorities to step up safety measures on boat transportation between the island and Pattaya.

tpn.jpg

-- Phuket News 2013-11-04

< after a tourist ferry capsized about 100 metres off the main Bali Hai pier>

< Shortly after leaving from Koh Lan with a full load of passengers>

??????? That can't be correct. We all know that Bali Hai is not near Koh Larn.

I remember travelling on the Songserm express boat before and after the sinking of one of those. Before, few lifejackets, after a LOT. Don't know if that is still the case.

Seems that safety precautions are only taken AFTER a calamity here, TiT.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yingluck!!!! Quality tourists cause more of an international scandal when they die in significant numbers, better stick with the cannon fodder you are currently attracting. There will be less complaints, cheaper funerals etc. As an after-thought, maybe the 500 THB proposed entry fee ought to be raised to 600 to cover repatriation of the remains.

RIP those lost souls, 1 minute for the raft to go down is shocking. I am a mariner, I work at sea and something is dreadfully amiss here. Any ferry I have been on, I encourage my friends to remain outside, on deck, preferably at the stern.

A major black eye for Pattaya tourism. Hopefully it will spur enforcement of existing marine safety regulations.

I am a sailor and I can tell you .... there are NO marine safety regulations here

The story itself states e vessel was licensed for 150 passengers but this obviously wasn't followed. I don't know if this tragedy could have been avoided or loss of life minimized it it had been but it would be a start. S hold off on the generic thai bashing until you have at least read the entire article.

Nothing changes.fact is European American and Australian consulates need to have in their travel advisory in BOLD letters. "Beware of travelling in Thailand" I dont want to hear this " statistically the chances are low being in an accident" diatribe, Its widespread and not always reported.figures for deaths and injuries in the country are innacurrate,deliberately.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Oh please, are you telling us tourists don't die from accidents in Europe, America, and Australia?

Yingluck!!!! Quality tourists cause more of an international scandal when they die in significant numbers, better stick with the cannon fodder you are currently attracting. There will be less complaints, cheaper funerals etc. As an after-thought, maybe the 500 THB proposed entry fee ought to be raised to 600 to cover repatriation of the remains.

RIP those lost souls, 1 minute for the raft to go down is shocking. I am a mariner, I work at sea and something is dreadfully amiss here. Any ferry I have been on, I encourage my friends to remain outside, on deck, preferably at the stern.

Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the ferries in question ( assuming they are the ones I'm thinking of ), but there is no cabin, so all the passengers would be "outside", and you can't sit on the stern. I imagine the problem would be from the fact that the rows of seats are far too close together to allow easy egress to the sides, should one be sitting in them. I always sit on the side seats for just such a reason.

More innocent lives lost for profit and through ignorance and total disregard for maintenance and safety standards and such elements exist owing to a complete lack enforcement of even the most basic protocols.

This incident occurred less than 1000 meters from departure at Nuarn Beach allowing for rapid rescue response from the shore. It would have been a very different story if 200 passengers had to abandon ship two or three kilometers out at sea.

UPDATE

Thai divers search for sunken ferry

by Aidan JONES

PATTAYA, November 4, 2013 (AFP) - Thai divers searched Monday for the wreck of a crowded tourist ferry which sank leaving six dead including three foreigners, as rescuers recounted plucking victims from the water.

Three Thais, one person from Hong Kong and two other unidentified foreigners were among the dead, according to police in the tourist resort of Pattaya, around 150 kilometres (100 miles) southeast of Bangkok.

They said all of the other 150-200 passengers were believed to have been rescued. Nineteen people were also injured.

The double-decker ferry went down on Sunday afternoon near Koh Larn, a small island popular with day-trippers from Pattaya, a popular beach resort renowned for its racy nightlife.

"We don't expect to find any more dead. One Russian boy is seriously ill in intensive care," said Pattaya police chief Colonel Suwarn Chiewnawintawat.

"The captain ran away. We will issue an arrest warrant for him," he said. "Divers will recover the boat today. We still don't know the cause."

Stunned tourists were seen being led to safety on shore on Sunday where they were met by dozens of ambulances along Pattaya's neon-lit beachfront. Medics performed emergency first aid on injured passengers.

Accidents involving boats, buses and other forms of public transportation are common in Thailand, where safety standards are generally poor.

"We still don't know the reason for the accident. I am not sure if there are more dead or not, because we don't know how many people were on the boat," Thai rescue diver Suttipong Boonmachai said.

"Today we are going to recover the boat. We will use underwater detection equipment," he told AFP on Pattaya's main pier.

A local boat captain who witnessed the tragedy recounted throwing life jackets to passengers floating in the water.

"I saw 100 people -- most of them foreigners -- in the water," he said. "I threw 50 life jackets into the water. There was one man, he was not breathing. We pulled him out of the water."

Russian news reports said three Russians, including a child, had been taken to hospital in a serious condition.

"At least half of the passengers were Russian tourists," a Russian embassy official in Bangkok was quoted as saying by the Ria Novosti news agency.

On Pattaya's main pier it was business as usual Monday for the operators of double-decker wooden ferries preparing to take tourists out on day cruises.

"After an accident like this the boats should be grounded for checks but today they are all running," said a European working in the city's marine tourism industry who spoke on condition of anonymity.

"The boats are very old. There's no maintenance. They are always overcrowded... there's no head count."

Renowned for its strip clubs and bars and cheap accommodation, Pattaya is one of Thailand's most popular resort areas and has become popular as a package holiday destination for Russian families.

Thailand drew 22 million tourists last year, but is struggling to shake off a reputation for lax safety standards after a series of incidents.

In May more than 100 people were rescued from a tourist ferry which began to sink in rough seas near the tourist island of Phuket.

Diplomats from China and the European Union have voiced concern at the number of fatal incidents involving their tourists.

In recent years the kingdom's tourist-friendly image as the "Land of Smiles" has also been tarnished by political violence, crimes against foreigners and devastating floods.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-11-04

What a disaster!

What will the next event in Thailand ??
A fire in a disco in Walking Street where visitors like mice in a trap to sit through the narrow exit.

They want tourists but forgot to optimize. Safety measures
Trust comes on foot but leaves on horseback.

Act quickly otherwise Thailand literally missed the boat and this also counts for traffic.
A red traffic light means stop!
In Europe you pay 8.000baht fine for driving through a red light.

Allows foreign companies to invest in the tourism industry as Thailand itself not has the resources.

• Like 1

On Pattaya's main pier it was business as usual Monday for the operators of double-decker wooden ferries preparing to take tourists out on day cruises.

"After an accident like this the boats should be grounded for checks but today they are all running," said a European working in the city's marine tourism industry who spoke on condition of anonymity.

"The boats are very old. There's no maintenance. They are always overcrowded... there's no head count."

This ladies and gentlemen is the celebrated Thai hospitality built on a TAT smoke and mirrors marketing campaign...substandard service with a smile

says it all really, nether the police or mayor or government or boat mafia gives a toss, only quick money runs Pattaya

This ladies and gentlemen is the celebrated Thai hospitality built on a TAT smoke and mirrors marketing campaign...substandard service with a smile

They should be closed down for at least a day and thoroughly checked - in most countries anyway. To not do so is just pure stupidity. Unbelievable...

says it all really, nether the police or mayor or government or boat mafia gives a toss, only quick money runs Pattaya

So what, life comes to a stand still after every accident? I guess any remaining day-trippers left on larn were to be left stranded there for the nite. I haven't heard of any other ferry sinkings subsequent to this tragic event so why inconvenience everyone with your silly suggestions.

Considering most of my family can't swim, life-jackets are mandatory!

I would suggest that you get them taught. Bangkok is sinking and the floods are getting worse. Build an ark maybe?thumbsup.gif Anyway, every one should be able to swim and from an early age.

says it all really, nether the police or mayor or government or boat mafia  gives a toss, only quick money runs Pattaya

So what, life comes to a stand still after every accident? I guess any remaining day-trippers left on larn were to be left stranded there for the nite. I haven't heard of any other ferry sinkings subsequent to this tragic event so why inconvenience everyone with your silly suggestions.
i know who just posted the silliest comment

• Like 2

The ferry that sank is below. It did have an inside cabin and I hope everyone got out of there but I fear some might have gone down with the ship. RIP

ferry-6.jpg

Thank you for posting that photo. Not the one I was thinking of.

I have been on one like that, once, in the cabin, and never again would I do so. It was a disgusting broken piece of **** and was obviously a death trap. Problem is, it's quite expensive to go with that company ( I don't know if it's the same company as the one in the photo though ), and you don't get to see the boat before paying out the money. It was also overloaded when I went on it, so been happening a long time.

I'm not surprised everyone rushed up to the top deck.

Since then I always use the proper ferry, which is cheaper and doesn't have a cabin to get trapped in.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

When a disaster like this happens, in most civilized countries, except perhaps North Korea, China, Yemen, Cuba and Thailand, an investigation is launched, and the people responsible are brought to justice. Normally either the captain, or some of the principals of the company would be held responsible. Or perhaps the chief mechanic, in this instance? Obviously there was faulty equipment. Obviously the boat was overloaded. The company, the captain, and/or the directors of the company chose profit over safety. Will they be held accountable for this? No. Why? Because this is Thailand. The land of non-responsibility. It is the responsibility of the average Thai to not take responsibility, and to shed blame, and never to take blame. If the government ever decides to behave like the civilized government of a civilized society, the first thing they will do is completely reform the police, and the judiciary from the ground up, and build both organizations into functional organizations that work for the benefit of society. Right now, all they are doing is consuming valuable resources, without giving anything back to society. Ask any Thai. They will confirm this. Ask any Thai or foreigner "when was the last time you benefitted from the services of the police, or the courts?", and chances are they will tell you never.

• Like 1

Nothing changes.fact is European American and Australian consulates need to have in their travel advisory in BOLD letters. "Beware of travelling in Thailand" I dont want to hear this " statistically the chances are low being in an accident" diatribe, Its widespread and not always reported.figures for deaths and injuries in the country are innacurrate,deliberately.

from the Australian government traveler advisory website:

Ferry travel in Thailand can be dangerous, as vessel passenger limits are not always observed or sufficient life jackets provided. Australians have been killed and injured in ferry and boat accidents in coastal areas, including near Samui Island. Several safety incidents have recently been reported on vessels in Phuket. You should ensure that any vessel you intend to board is carrying appropriate safety equipment and that life jackets are provided for all passengers and are worn at all times. Check with your tour operator or vessel management to ensure appropriate safety standards are maintained.

This wasn't an accident, it was manslaughter. The first thing the police should do is secure the scene of the crime and that includes stopping all tourist boat traffic with immediate effect. Operations can restart when real safety is put in place. Better inconvenienced than dead.

Agree with you 100%.

I was watching the television this morning and Bali Hai was back to normal.

Some canned shots of a few people putting on life jackets but not all.

Probably half of the tourists didn't even know what happened yesterday.

How did the "Captain" get away, had to be via speedboat I guess.

Incidentally someone posted the Captain is not responsible for the overcrowding/headcount etc. Rubbish the Captain is responsible for everything on his boat, maritime law!

Be very interested to see what happens now.

A major black eye for Pattaya tourism. Hopefully it will spur enforcement of existing marine safety regulations.

I am a sailor and I can tell you .... there are NO marine safety regulations here

I'm sure there are marine safety regulations. Bangkok has a large port for starters. However, I'm equally sure, that regulations are not subject to any form of regular inspection or enforcement. Marine, vehicle, driving, building and hotel regulations - take your pick. All will be treated as optional and no one will care or understand the importance until its too late. Even then, after a disaster, nothing changes.

Indeed there are marine regulations and laws, but just as the road laws are ignored, so are those. The fact of the matter is that Thai people do not care about the safety of their customers, only about cramming as many people (and hence fares) as possible into space - whether or not that space is actually safely available.

The only way to ensure that safety standards here in the Land of Do As You Please is to publicise each and every incident in the international press (or international websites) until people stop coming here.

Only pain in the pocket will begin to make the 'vendors of potential death' start to think.

More lives wasted by Thailand's lack of care for her people and visitors. Not surprising as taking money from the tourist and the proletariat is the only responsibility that is accepted by the Thai government these days.

Edited by indyuk
  • Like 1

I am a sailor I have lived 8 years on my own boat as my sole home, I am very well aware of the danger at sea (henceforth the regulations) here is a picture of the boat that sank, nowhere in a westen country that would be allowed, when I see this picture as a seafarer I am simply scared to death for those people on board !

post-154100-0-05325300-1383542430_thumb.

• Like 1

I have just read all of the posts and, as expected, read lots of criticism and justifiable negative comments. I would like to add that over 95% were rescued, so at least be grateful for the rescue services capability. I saw many ambulances struggling to get through the traffic, not an easy thing to do.

Happens more often in the Philippines (many more islands). I had always thought about bringing two liters of water in plastic bottles. If no life jacket (these things sink in minutes) grab your water, drink as much as you can stomach, put the cap on and at least you have a bit of boyancy, if you don't flounder around. just put one each under your armpit. It works in a jam. Another tip....take off your pants (long jeans i hope) and tie the cuffs in a knot. Zipper it up and trap air in them. Twist the waist and voila.......a life preserver.

Yes it happens in the Phils often, but the water and Ferries are a way of life for Filipinos who are outside of Luzon. It is the same as those country folk heading back home to Lopburi, Udon, or Ubon at the end of the working week to be with their families. Safety standards are generally regulated in the Phils and there are substantial penalties for accidents from what I have seen. Although corrupt and morally warped by the demands of extremist Christianity from the Catholic Church of the Philippines, the country does care and does what it can to keep its' people safe at sea.