In wake of Pattaya ferry disaster, top brass stages safety tour in Phuket

webfact

In wake of Pattaya ferry disaster, top brass stages safety tour in Phuket
Phuket Gazette

safe.jpg
Police Region 8 Commander Panya Mamen (left) speaks with tourists at Phuket's Rassada Pier yesterday morning. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- Police Region 8 Commander Panya Mamen yesterday morning led a team of officers on a safety inspection of passenger vessels at Rassada Pier, a major jump-off point for tourists boarding ferries and tour boats to islands in Phang Nga Bay and along the Andaman coast.

The safety blitz followed a heavily overloaded ferry from Pattaya capsizing off Koh Lan, in the Gulf of Thailand, two days ago, leaving six tourists dead and at least 26 injured (story here)

Pol Col Suwan Cheawnavinthavat yesterday told The Nation that a Russian man, a Russian woman and a Chinese man were among the six dead. Two Thai women and a Thai man were also recovered dead.

The rest of the passengers were rescued, including a 12-year-old Russian boy, who is in intensive care at hospital. None of the others who were injured were hospitalized, Col Suwan reported.

Shortly after the boat departed Koh Lan, an engine problem sent the passengers on the first deck rushing to the second floor, causing the ferry to tip onto its side and eventually sink.

“Witnesses said that there were neither enough tubes nor life vests on the ferry. Some of those who could not swim had to cling onto coolers or ice containers until rescuers came,” Col Suwan said by phone.

At Rassada Pier this morning, Lt Gen Panya announced, “Tourist safety is our first priority. A lot of tourists who come to Phuket want to go to other islands, such as Phi Phi and so many others."

“Authorities must keep an eye on tour operators to make sure they follow all safety regulations,” he stated.

“They especially must not overload their vessels with passengers. Also, life-saving equipment must be provided to all tourists on board,” Gen Panya added.

Officials, including Marine Police, Marine Officers and members of the Royal Thai Navy, assisted in inspecting vessels at the port.

“I am confident that all officials are ready to carry out rescue missions in response to any accidents that may occur at sea,” Gen Panya assured.

“I have ordered officials in both Phuket and on Samui to be strict on marine safety. We do not want any accidents to happen,” he added.

“Please take the Pattaya case as a lesson to be learned from. We should be able to prevent such tragedies from happening,” Gen Panya said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/In-wake-of-Pattaya-ferry-disaster-top-brass-stages-safety-tour-in-Phuket-22712.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-11-05

Seems like he's busy the last couple of weeks with strip-bars, fake watch vendors, endangered animals, corruption, jet-ski rip-off's, stealing tugs , drug dealers.......

I really think he's worth his money !!!

w00t.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif

Tourist safety is our first priority

nooo ... really ???????????? then do something about it for god sake ....

They did. They went on inspection blitz

"Flash-in-the-pan" mentality. Agree that what is missing are the regular inspections free from tea-money "contributions."

Sent from my tin can via string.

• Like 1

Why didn't they do these checks before on a regular basis to protect visitors safety. Posted Image

They also checked about 2 months ago, and are checking the boats on a regular basis.

Do you have any evidence besides your undocumented pronouncement?

Why didn't they do these checks before on a regular basis to protect visitors safety. sad.png

They also checked about 2 months ago, and are checking the boats on a regular basis.

They dooooooooooo whistling.gif .

Is it the same team that check on coaches that crash near every week ?

Edited by transam

Why didn't they do these checks before on a regular basis to protect visitors safety. sad.png

Do you have any evidence besides your undocumented pronouncement?

Just look online, I'm sure you'll find that information about a check at Rassada pier.

Oh, almost forgot, I am at Chalong pier every morning, and also last month they were checking the boats, one of the boats was e.g. prohibited from leaving because there was no engineer on board.

"Flash-in-the-pan" mentality. Agree that what is missing are the regular inspections free from tea-money "contributions."

Do you have any evidence apart from your undocumented pronouncement?

Instant improvement in safety would be achieved by sending the current head of the Phuket Marine Office to an inactive post.

This is the guy that said after a tourist was killed by a speed-boat's propeller that "accidents are natural". He is also in bed with the jet-ski thugs.

• Like 1

Instant improvement in safety would be achieved by sending the current head of the Phuket Marine Office to an inactive post.

This is the guy that said after a tourist was killed by a speed-boat's propeller that "accidents are natural". He is also in bed with the jet-ski thugs.

Totally agree, he has made quite a few of those pronouncements

Certainly.

Just Google boat accidents for Thailand and notice the frequency with which paying passengers, relying on the inspection "system" are killed or injured.

Next...

• Like 1

So which one of the Police holds a valid Marine Safety Inspectors Licence----and can issue a Certificate of Sea Worthiness-?? huh.png

• Like 2

Certainly.

Just Google boat accidents for Thailand and notice the frequency with which paying passengers, relying on the inspection "system" are killed or injured.

Next...

Make that 'boat accidents from Phuket where safety regulations were violated' and you have a point.

Your general statement has no value whatsoever in this thread.

So which one of the Police holds a valid Marine Safety Inspectors Licence----and can issue a Certificate of Sea Worthiness-?? huh.png

I suggest you contact Police to find out who holds what

In all fairness, they can not do much about captains and staff being on drugs.

The cause of this accident was staff including captain being on drugs, as confirmed by the captain.

Sure they could run spot checks but that still does not fix the problem.

The only solution is tougher penalties, but again do not think that would stop captains taking drugs

The cause of this accident was staff including captain being on drugs, as confirmed by the captain.

The only solution is tougher penalties, but again do not think that would stop captains taking drugs

If that is the case then the operators should be told that random tests on staff WHO are responsible for ''life'' will happen. Those who are drugged up will be imprisoned. Soooooooooo easy. thumbsup.gif AND, nooooooooooooooooo pay off. But, the pay off could be a big stumbling block for folks safety. sad.png

If that is the case then the operators should be told that random tests on staff WHO are responsible for ''life'' will happen. Those who are drugged up will be imprisoned. Soooooooooo easy. thumbsup.gif AND, nooooooooooooooooo pay off. But, the pay off could be a big stumbling block for folks safety. sad.png

Agreed, but look in reality, they do arrest and jail people who fail drug tests and yet it does not stop people from taking and selling.

Drunk drivers also aware of the consequences and yet keep on driving drunk

The only way i see that would work is daily tests prior to departure, but then they may not have the staff.

It really is NOT as easy as some like to think sadly

from a Pattaya news scource...get this..;

"Investigation officers concluded that a ferry struck a large rock which caused water to flood the ferry and that the cause was not that the skipper had been drinking or taking drugs."

only in Thailand....sad.png