Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra's speech on the amnesty bill

webfact

PM'S FULL SPEECH
Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra's speech on the amnesty bill

30218796-01_big.jpg

Dear People,

The country has sustained damage inflicted by political conflict for the past 10 years.

After I was elected to take office, I believe every Thai citizen agreed the country would not move forward if the conflict persisted.

When this government took office, I announced a clear policy to bring about reconciliation under the rule of law. Recently, I pushed to form a political-reform venue where all differing sides could join hands to mend fences and foster unity.

Under the democratic principle of balanced sharing of powers, the government - particularly myself as the prime minister - has refrained from interfering with the legislature, as seen in the case of amending the Constitution.

I have been wrongly accused of neglecting to perform my concurrent duty as MP when, in fact, I want the legislature to freely do its job.

In regard to the recent House vote for the passage of the amnesty bill, which has spawned much public debate, it is a fact that countries, when mired in political conflict causing loss of lives and properties, would grant amnesty. Thailand should emulate the amnesty lesson.

In principle, amnesty is an option worthy of consideration. If all sides agree to forgive each other, I believe the conflict would dissipate and the country would move on.

It is to be regretted that hundreds of people were killed and thousands were injured in the political violence triggered by attempts to overthrow an elected government.

Amnesty does not mean we should forget this painful lesson. We are obliged to learn and understand, so that our children would not face a repeat of such tragedies.

In the meantime, we have to cooperate with one another to overcome the conflict and move the country forward.

The resumption of peace means all sides must grant forgiveness - without bias or emotion - and be open-minded to allow the airing of dissenting opinions. I understand this is difficult to do, but we have to put the greater good before personal interest.

As of today, the amnesty bill was passed by the House and forwarded to the Senate for deliberation. This is in accordance with normal legislative proceedings.

Relevant parties have differing views on amnesty, spawning wide differences among sectors of society, institutions, and between and within political parties.

Despite the House passage of the bill, several groups appear not ready to embrace forgiveness and are mired in differences.

I don't want to see the politicisation of the bill with the aim of unseating the elected government and derailing democratic rule once again.

The bill has been distorted to cause misunderstanding as a fiscal issue. I, as the prime minister, would have to endorse a fiscal-related bill, but I have never lent my signature to endorsing amnesty.

More importantly, the bill is being portrayed as a whitewash of corruption, but this is beside the point. Amnesty is designed to absolve victims of the power seizure, which happened outside the rule of law, and those accused of committing offences related to life, physical injury and property.

I reaffirm that the government will strive to serve the national interests and that it will not use its majority contrary to the people's feelings.

I will heed the views of proponents and opponents. The government's main goal is to bring about reconciliation.

In the face of prevailing differences, the government would like all sides to pause in order to stop causing further divisiveness.

Under the Constitution, the bill is now under the purview of the Senate.

I want to plead for the senators, those appointed and those elected, to use their discretion while deliberating the bill. It is well known that the Senate is beyond interference.

So I hope the senators will deliberate on the bill on the basis of forgiveness and compassion so as to dispense justice equally for those with grievances and pain.

The deliberation on amnesty should factor into the country's interest. Regardless of the outcome of the Senate's decision, be it to disagree with, to withhold or to revise the bill, I believe the Members of Parliament, who cast the vote for the bill's passage, will accept the result for the sake of reconciliation.

The legislative procedures should prevail to completion and everyone should uphold this in order to safeguard the freedom of every Thai citizen.

In conclusion, I would like to thank everyone in the legislature for striving to achieve reconciliation. It is now time for all Thai citizens to unite and decide on the way to bring about understanding without bias and emotion. Open-heartedness and compassion should be the basis to achieve reconciliation.

Thank you.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-05

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ballpoint post # 5

So, she acknowledges that the redshirts were attempting to overthrow an elected government. Someone should tell their supporters here.

Indeed so true.

However '' there are none so deaf as those who do not want to hear and none so blind as those that do not want to see.''

• Like 2

Her prepared speech is offensive drivel for any educated observer.

It's worth noting that her choice of clothing is very uncharismatic. Her peers have put more thought into a catchy wardrobe, like Big Bob M's flashy colorful suits or the Korean Kims natty boilersuits. Even her big brother tipped his hat to Idi Amin with the chestful of amart medals he used to like wearing. Come on Yingluk please put more thought into developing a defining uniform for the masses to associate you with for the rest of your clans reign. Image over substance, it can work in the right circumstances.

You think she should be wearing more colourful clothing whilst the nation is in a state of official mourning???

• Like 2

"More importantly, the bill is being portrayed as a whitewash of corruption, but this is beside the point."

No, this is entirely the point, and is all too true, so she will ignore it completely ! Posted Image

Yay for Red Anti-Corruption ! Posted Image

More than any ither tgat one sentence also jumped out at me.

An incredible thing to say.

• Like 2

I think that you guys are really stuck in "anger" mode.

Whatever is said or done your comments won't vary. Always the same comments coming again and again and again... and again.

This country is at a standstill because of the hatred of some people for only one man. Astonishing.

Hopefully there are some more mature people who can put aside the anger to find solutions.

Sent from my iPhone...

• Like 1

When this government took office, I announced a clear policy to bring about reconciliation under the rule of law. Recently, I pushed to form a political-reform venue where all differing sides could join hands to mend fences and foster unity.

Do she run her election campaign on the back of this amnesty bill ? If not then I would hardly call her election into office a mandate, as she implies in her speech, to grant amnesty to individuals on behalf of the people of Thailand.

Both 'sides' need t forgive and forget? Pray tell WHO are these sides? Thaksin and his cronies vs other elites? And where do ordinary citizens fit in? Because PT won an election does not give them carte blanche to do whatever they please. Many people from all walks of life are very upset by this amnesty bill. Hopefully the Senate will throw it back in their faces to be completely rewritten. After the fiasco in 2001 with the Constitutional Court, I don't trust them to squash this bill if it gets that far. 5/4 was such a beautiful number. I would expect the same this time around, if the judges are gotten at. Hopefully sense will prevail - I really worry for the youth of this country and the role model they are setting for our children. How can anyone tell them to obey any kind of rule, when politicians can just whitewash themselves at will.

Whatever is said or done your comments won't vary. Always the same comments coming again and again and again... and again.

This country is at a standstill because of the hatred of some people for only one man. Astonishing.

Hopefully there are some more mature people who can put aside the anger to find solutions.

Sent from my iPhone...

So you think the anger on Thaivisa is the cause of the country's stand still ? I doubt so.

I think it has more to do with the feelings of the majority of the population.

Sent from my iPhone...

So, what is the solution, then?

What is mature, about putting one man's interests above the country and it's people?

Why is it a solution to whitewash a man's crimes, who causes such a divide amongst all Thais? That's not a solution that is worsening the situation.

A solution would be a start where the country and it's people are put first, not one man.

I really can't believe someone could be so brainwashed by a speech like you seem to have. It's a complete joke.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

"A solution would be a start where the country and it's people are put first, not one man"

A very good start would be to stop being obsessed by that "one man".

Someone like you can hardly speak about putting the country first, when in fact the one and only important factor is to put down only one man.

I do believe that all the people who think about the country should sit together. But the Dems are not ready to put the country first. They prefer to continue to fight... Just to bring down that one man. It's just not mature. Certainly not wise.

Sent from my iPhone...

Edited by gerry1011

Sent from my iPhone...

So, what is the solution, then?

What is mature, about putting one man's interests above the country and it's people?

Why is it a solution to whitewash a man's crimes, who causes such a divide amongst all Thais? That's not a solution that is worsening the situation.

A solution would be a start where the country and it's people are put first, not one man.

I really can't believe someone could be so brainwashed by a speech like you seem to have. It's a complete joke.

"A solution would be a start where the country and it's people are put first, not one man"

A very good start would be to stop being obsessed by that "one man".

Someone like you can hardly speak about putting the country first, when in fact the one and only important factor is to put down only one man.

I do believe that all the people who think about the country should sit together. But the Dems are not ready to put the country first. They prefer to continue to fight... Just to bring down that one man. It's just not mature. Certainly not wise.

Sent from my iPhone...

You say the dems and us shouldn't focus on "one man" - so what are pheu Thai doing? You can't have it both ways tell one side not to focus on one man but at the same time expect to put one man ahead of the country. That's just being hypocritical.

I have yet to meet someone who actually hates Thaksin; I have zero hatred for him. What I do hate is corruption; brainwashing the people and exploiting the people all for power and ego.

Edited by Hawkman
  • Like 2

Hey ... look out the window ... what do you see? .........Turn on the TV ... what do you see?

You surely are smart enough to see this bill has zero chance to reunite Thailand

By adopting this bill you are saying 'screw you Thailand and screw you Thai people"

100% useless

• Like 1

How about this for a solution?

The Dems agree to stop all anti-Thaksin agenda and sit down and openly discuss the way forward with PT. In response, PT stop trying to amend laws to benefit one man and Thaskin legally signs that he is withdrawing from Politics and to let PT run without him. If he still wishes to return then come back and face Legal proceedings.

This way, the country wins, PT as a government can work on the country and focus on its people and the Dems can focus on being an opposition party and the people can focus on themselves and not one man.

• Like 2