Refused 'O' type visa

The Birmingham consulate just called and told me the rules had changed yet again.

You now need an income of £1400 (nearly 70,000 baht) per month to qualify for an 'O' type visa. I don't have this. They are issuing me a double entry tourist visa instead.

I'll need to do a visa run. I know I can extend this at the immigration office but would I get a full 60 days if I do a land visa run and utililised the 2nd entry?

I've been getting 'O's for years and need to know the regulations for tourist visas. Help appreciated.

Edit: I'm a UK citizen.

Edited by easyride

You just need a tourist visa ! It will provide an initial 60 day stay extendable at immigration for another 30 days.

No need for border runs if only 90 days are required.

As a matter of interest on what basis were you previously obtaining single entry "O" visas or were you obtaining a multiple entry visa?

edit

correct error

Edited by thaiexpat21
  • Like 1

If he can get a single entry non-o visa they work out to be 900 baht cheaper than a single entry tourist visa plus no trip to immigration for the extension.

Agree ! but I suspect he has been getting (somehow) multiple - entry visas and now the sky has fallen down !

A single should still be possible but suspect he has already been provided with a 2 entry tourist visa.

Edit

Just seen the latest post from the OP which provides the explanation!

Edited by thaiexpat21

I hope for his sake that that his tourist visa is valid for 6 months.

Sad but it seems that the Uk Hon. Cons have been friendly for to long !
He has been doing what a multiple entry that is meant for but is being punished because of others that are using them to live here full time.

Perhaps if can he qualify for an extension of stay with a a multiple entry permit he could keep doing it. Or get a OA visa from the embassy that gives him a total of about 2 years without needing a new visa or an extension of stay.

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 2

I hope for his sake that that his tourist visa is valid for 6 months.

Sad but it seems that the Uk Hon. Cons have been friendly for to long !
He has been doing what a multiple entry that is meant for but is being punished because of others that are using them to live here full time.

Perhaps if can he qualify for an extension of stay with a a multiple entry permit he could keep doing it. Or get a OA visa from the embassy that gives him a total of about 2 years without needing a new visa or an extension of stay.

I would hope so but from what tells us the finances are slender and made more so by four long haul flights/year.

Of course I wish him well and hope things work out.

Now im worried! I normally renew my Non O in late Dec on the basis of visiting friends in Thailand, i do this through the Hull Consulate. Im 68yrs old and have an old age pension of approx 45K Baht, proof of which i forward to the Consulate with my annual application. Hearing various things about rule changes etc, i phoned the consulate in Hull about 1 week ago and was told theres been a change in the rules so this year my application has to be approved and issued by the Embassy in London, no mention was made of any increased amount being required, ie 70k. Im now wondering if this new change happened since i spoke with them last week, or does the fact that im 68yrs get me over that requirement. Would be very grateful for any help on this.

Thanks...

Now im worried! I normally renew my Non O in late Dec on the basis of visiting friends in Thailand, i do this through the Hull Consulate. Im 68yrs old and have an old age pension of approx 45K Baht, proof of which i forward to the Consulate with my annual application. Hearing various things about rule changes etc, i phoned the consulate in Hull about 1 week ago and was told theres been a change in the rules so this year my application has to be approved and issued by the Embassy in London, no mention was made of any increased amount being required, ie 70k. Im now wondering if this new change happened since i spoke with them last week, or does the fact that im 68yrs get me over that requirement. Would be very grateful for any help on this.

Thanks...

You may have difficulty securing any visa on the basis of "visiting friends"

Your stated income would not meet the requirements for retirement so you may be left with the option of a tourist visa.

Although, it may still be possible to secure a visa based on "age and pension " . This provision was, I think, unique to UK Hon. Consulates and may, therefore no longer be available.

Best wishes

Edited by thaiexpat21

The guy at the consulate said these new regulations came into effect last June/July.

At 60 my income amounts to 60,000 baht or more per month but he wouldn't budge.

I asked about a single entry O but he said I still didn't meet financial requirements.

Oh for those happy days when you took your passport to an agent and let the passport travel around SE Asia while you stayed behind in comfort.

The guy at the consulate said these new regulations came into effect last June/July.

I asked about a single entry O but he said I still didn't meet financial requirements.

Oh for those happy days when you took your passport to an agent and let the passport travel around SE Asia while you stayed behind in comfort.

You could get an extension of stay here by using a combination of your income and money in the bank totaling 800k baht. With 60k baht income you would only need 80k in the bank. Then get a multiple re-entry permit for your trips back to the UK.
  • Like 2

Thanks...

You may have difficulty securing any visa on the basis of "visiting friends"

Your stated income would not meet the requirements for retirement so you may be left with the option of a tourist visa.

Although, it may still be possible to secure a visa based on "age and pension " . This provision was, I think, unique to UK Hon. Consulates and may, therefore no longer be available.

Best wishes

Not so.

He falls into the category of someone in receipt of the UK Old Age Pension.

He simply has to evidence 3 months State pension paid into a bank account to get his non-imm O.

Clearly not fair when compared to the OP but take advantage of that anomaly whilst you can.

From the Thai Embassy website:-

Pension earners or Applicants over 50 years of age, following document is required;

- Pension statement if the applicant is a pension earner,

Edited by Jip99

Many thanks for the info Jip99 + thaiexpat21. Im pretty sure the Consulate lady would have made it clear had there been another rule change within the past week (70k) affecting pensioners, however until i have actual sight of the visa i'll keep the fingers crossed!!

Thanks again

• Like 1

You could get an extension of stay here by using a combination of your income and money in the bank totaling 800k baht. With 60k baht income you would only need 80k in the bank. Then get a multiple re-entry permit for your trips back to the UK.

When we applied in August, they wouldn't allow a combination of pension income and savings (my husband's pension was short by just £11 a month). It was one or the other so we had to show savings of 800,000 baht for each of us.

When we applied in August, they wouldn't allow a combination of pension income and savings (my husband's pension was short by just £11 a month).  It was one or the other so we had to show savings of 800,000 baht for each of us.
Where was that at? Was it here at immigration?

If your husband had an extension you would not need to show money to get an extension as his dependent.

Is a bank balance in the UK still acceptable as a way for an over 50 to get a non-Imm-O?

How much £?

On what basis would you apply for the "visa"

Are you in the U/K now ?

I thought I was asking the questions? :D

Same as the OP.

No.

(Years ago, before I started getting retirement extensions, I lived in LOS on multiple Non-Imm-Os. I still do regular trips to UK and often wondered if I could go back to the old method.)

When we applied in August, they wouldn't allow a combination of pension income and savings (my husband's pension was short by just £11 a month). It was one or the other so we had to show savings of 800,000 baht for each of us.

If your husband had an extension you would not need to show money to get an extension as his dependent.

I don't understand what you mean. We applied for a multi entry non-resident O (over 50) at Hull. We had to apply individually. This is different from a retirement visa as we're here for 6 months a year and don't want a Thai bank account which I understand is necessary for the Retirement visa.

Just spoke to the Thai Embassy in London.

If you're over 50 and under 64 you MUST have a monthly income of £1,400 per month be it from salary, pension or selling yourself on a street corner.

Over 65 with a pension of £2 and bob's your uncle the visa will be issued.

Welcome to Thailand.

PS Apparently all websites are being amended to reflect this change though not in the way I said it!

• Like 1

Just spoke to the Thai Embassy in London.

If you're over 50 and under 64 you MUST have a monthly income of £1,400 per month be it from salary, pension or selling yourself on a street corner.

Over 65 with a pension of £2 and bob's your uncle the visa will be issued.

Welcome to Thailand.

PS Apparently all websites are being amended to reflect this change though not in the way I said it!

Pleased to note what I said still holds true !

"Athough, it may still be possible to secure a visa based on "age and pension " . This provision was, I think, unique to UK Hon. Consulates and may, therefore no longer be available. "

Your description is much more colourful than mine !smile.png

I don't understand what you mean. We applied for a multi entry non-resident O (over 50) at Hull. We had to apply individually. This is different from a retirement visa as we're here for 6 months a year and don't want a Thai bank account which I understand is necessary for the Retirement visa.

One of you should put the money into an english bank, a the difference between the pension income and 800000 as that is what is required. Process an OA visa for one of you and eithher your wife should enter on a tourist visand convert her visa too an O visa in thailand as a wife can piggy back on athe husbands oa visa..

Your money can remain in the UK. Enter on the OA visa ( that will be good for one year and if you re-enter within the validity (one year) you will get a further year. That way you do not have to bring in any money to Thailand. The police clearance and medical are not particularly onerous requiremeents in the UK.

I don't understand what you mean.  We applied for a multi entry non-resident O (over 50) at Hull.  We had to apply individually.  This is different from a retirement visa as we're here for 6 months a year and don't want a Thai bank account which I understand is necessary for the Retirement visa.

One of you should put the money into an english bank, a the difference between the pension income and 800000 as that is what is required. Process an OA visa for one of you and eithher your wife should enter on a tourist visand convert her visa too an O visa in thailand as a wife can piggy back on athe husbands oa visa..

Your money can remain in the UK. Enter on the OA visa ( that will be good for one year and if you re-enter within the validity (one year) you will get a further year. That way you do not have to bring in any money to Thailand. The police clearance and medical are not particularly onerous requiremeents in the UK.

Immigration will not do a dependent extension for a OA visa entry. They have no authority to do it. His wife would get a multiple entry O visa and have to make border runs.