Thai PM on defensive as disgruntled protesters march on

webfact

Thai PM on defensive as disgruntled protesters march on
By English News

13838038304346-640x390x2.jpg

BANGKOK, Nov 7 – Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra called an urgent security meeting today amid continued protests against the amnesty bill which spread from varsity campuses to business centres in the capital and upcountry.

The grim-faced prime minister abruptly cut short her tour of the eastern region arriving at Government House this morning to be updated on the latest political developments.

Deputy Prime Minister Pracha Promnok, accompanied by some Cabinet members and high-ranking police and security officials, attended the meeting.

Security measures surrounding Government House and Parliament were strengthened with more concrete barriers setting up further away from the state building zones and closer to the rally site on Ratchadamnoen Avenue.

Iron barriers and fences, crowd-control vehicles and equipment were fully prepared to deal with the demonstration in case the protesters march near the off-limit areas.

At least 20 police companies were deployed around Government House and police helicopters have patrolled over the area since this morning.

At Thammasat University, students, alumnae, lecturers and officials gathered on campus to lambast the controversial amnesty bill before marching to Parliament.

They walked past the Democracy Monument on Ratchadamnoen Avenue - site of a major anti-blanket amnesty rally led by Democrat MP Suthep Thaugsuban.

They would submit a letter to the Senate calling on its members to defeat the amnesty bill, which was passed by the House of Representatives last week.

At Asoke intersection on Sukhumvit Road, people arrived by the thousands to join a separate protest, organised by business leaders and white-collar employees.

The Asoke demonstration imitated a similar activity held at the Silom Complex business centre on Monday and Wednesday. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-11-07

Yingluck pleads with protesters to stop
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra went on TV on Thursday to issue an urgent plea to all groups of demonstrators to stop their protests, saying the government has already aborted the amnesty effort.

She also promised that her government would do nothing that would pressure His Majesty the King.

Yingluck said the House of Representatives had voted Thursday afternoon to remove all the pending amnesty and reconciliation bills from the House agenda.

"All sides have made clear their intention to halt the amnesty process," she said.

She said the people should not believe rumours and should use their judgement to consider information from all sides so that the country can move forward.

She also said the government would not use force against the protesters and would not use troops to control the situation. Her government would use only the police to keep law and order.

She asked the protesters to believe that the government would not break its promise, adding that they should go home as the country has already suffered a lot.

It was Yingluck's third urgent statement this week. He first statement was made Tuesday and the second one on Wednesday.

She made the announcement Thursday after holding a meeting with security agencies at the Government House.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-07

I think it is the students turning out in large numbers that has PTP/Yingluck/Thaksin running scared.

Could you explain that please ?

Are you talking long term as these will never vote PTP ?

Or is it seen as more problems ahead ?

Leaving on a jet plane, get the Foreign minister to find me a country I have not been

too yet, things are getting too hot for me here,I may have to answer questions,or tell

the Police/Army to disperse the demonstrators .and I will get the blame for everything.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 2

Thai PM pleads for end to anti-amnesty protests

BANGKOK, November 7, 2013 (AFP) - Thailand's embattled prime minister appealed Thursday for an end to escalating street protests against a contentious political amnesty, warning that the unrest would scare off foreign investors and tourists.

Thousands of demonstrators have turned out daily in Bangkok since the lower house of parliament last Friday passed a bill which could allow fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra to return.

"I want protesters to end the rally. My government was born from elections so we respect the will of the people," Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, Thaksin's younger sister, said in a televised address.

"Protests affect the economy and hurt foreign investor confidence, and tourists will not dare to come," she added.

Thousands of police were mobilised in the capital on Thursday as protesters marched towards Government House.

Demonstrators were blocked by barbed wire barricades and riot police before reaching the seat of government.

"There are 4,000-5,000 police to secure key government facilities. All measures we use will be in accordance with the law," National Police Chief Adul Saengsingkaew told reporters.

"We will only use tear gas if protesters trespass into high security areas," he added.

"I am confident that everything is under control."

The ongoing rallies come despite signs that the government is stepping back from the amnesty.

The ruling Puea Thai party said Wednesday that it would not seek to force through the amnesty without approval by the upper house, whose speaker has predicted that the bill will be rejected by senators.

It has also pledged to withdraw other bills related to a possible amnesty.

"We can solve it through negotiations. I don't want to see a drawn-out rally because the amnesty bills were all cancelled and government will not resist the will of the people," Yingluck said.

The legislation has angered opponents of Thaksin, a former telecoms tycoon who was toppled by royalist generals in 2006 and lives in Dubai to avoid prison for a corruption conviction that he contends was politically motivated.

Observers say Thaksin -- who once described Yingluck as his "clone" and is widely considered the de facto leader of the ruling party -- may have underestimated the depth of opposition to the amnesty.

Thaksin on Wednesday denied the bill was for his personal benefit, accusing political opponents of "distortions and lies".

The bill has also upset members of the pro-Thaksin "Red Shirts" protest movement who want justice for the killing of more than 90 civilians during a military crackdown on their rallies against the previous government in Bangkok in 2010.

Yingluck insisted her government would not try to break up the latest demos.

"The government will not use force against protesters. I want to see peace in the country. We have deployed only police and have never ordered soldiers to take part," she said.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-11-07

I think it is the students turning out in large numbers that has PTP/Yingluck/Thaksin running scared.

Some current students would of course vote for PTP ... but no.

I am referring to history. One only has to look at photos of 1992 (Black May) protests at Democracy Monument and look at photos from yesterday there to see a parallel. This is the first time in ages that students in any numbers have joined in the political discourse (particularly as what might be seen as civil disobedience). It is something that still resonates in the country.

This is likely another reason that Abhisit does not want Chamlong at the rally.

Thai PM pleads for end to anti-amnesty protests

BANGKOK, November 7, 2013 (AFP) - Thailand's embattled prime minister appealed Thursday for an end to escalating street protests against a contentious political amnesty, warning that the unrest would scare off foreign investors and tourists.

Thousands of demonstrators have turned out daily in Bangkok since the lower house of parliament last Friday passed a bill which could allow fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra to return.

"I want protesters to end the rally. My government was born from elections so we respect the will of the people," Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, Thaksin's younger sister, said in a televised address.

"Protests affect the economy and hurt foreign investor confidence, and tourists will not dare to come," she added.

Thousands of police were mobilised in the capital on Thursday as protesters marched towards Government House.

Demonstrators were blocked by barbed wire barricades and riot police before reaching the seat of government.

"There are 4,000-5,000 police to secure key government facilities. All measures we use will be in accordance with the law," National Police Chief Adul Saengsingkaew told reporters.

"We will only use tear gas if protesters trespass into high security areas," he added.

"I am confident that everything is under control."

The ongoing rallies come despite signs that the government is stepping back from the amnesty.

The ruling Puea Thai party said Wednesday that it would not seek to force through the amnesty without approval by the upper house, whose speaker has predicted that the bill will be rejected by senators.

It has also pledged to withdraw other bills related to a possible amnesty.

"We can solve it through negotiations. I don't want to see a drawn-out rally because the amnesty bills were all cancelled and government will not resist the will of the people," Yingluck said.

The legislation has angered opponents of Thaksin, a former telecoms tycoon who was toppled by royalist generals in 2006 and lives in Dubai to avoid prison for a corruption conviction that he contends was politically motivated.

Observers say Thaksin -- who once described Yingluck as his "clone" and is widely considered the de facto leader of the ruling party -- may have underestimated the depth of opposition to the amnesty.

Thaksin on Wednesday denied the bill was for his personal benefit, accusing political opponents of "distortions and lies".

The bill has also upset members of the pro-Thaksin "Red Shirts" protest movement who want justice for the killing of more than 90 civilians during a military crackdown on their rallies against the previous government in Bangkok in 2010.

Yingluck insisted her government would not try to break up the latest demos.

"The government will not use force against protesters. I want to see peace in the country. We have deployed only police and have never ordered soldiers to take part," she said.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-11-07

That, surely, is because Thaksin has already bought the police, but cannot assume the army will blindly obey PTP orders.

• Like 1

Must be nice to have that option, in 2010 the police refused to do their job, leaving only the army, who were obviously unprepared for the task.

In that same article the police in charge tell under what circumstances they would use force .....

• Like 1

"Thailand's embattled prime minister appealed Thursday for an end to escalating street protests against a contentious political amnesty, warning that the unrest would scare off foreign investors and tourists."

Kill the bill and maybe they will go home ..

Hey Yingluck ... were you telling the red shirts the same thing in 2010 ... doubt it

what is good for the goose .................

Tell your brother to go take a flying leap and maybe the people will go home

• Like 1

Problem solving must not have been one of her very few attributes when she was picked for the job. She and her support group refuse to address the cause of the problem, but instead talk about anything that distracts from that attachment to the bill awaiting Senate action.

This government has been caught in so many lies, side steps, cover ups. etc that you would think they would eventually learn to deal with the people in a honest, straight forward way. I guess the latter is so foreign to their mind set and comprehension that they just cannot force themselves to act in a crediable manner.This is a situation that could be quickly settled and would have been, if due dillenge had been done prior to trying to slip the amendement in and passed into law.

Just another example, which grows longer week, of the incompitence, inexperience, and dishonesty of a vast number of the individuals who comprise this government. Its a disgrace to the country, its honest people, and the mandates of the International communities, who care.

• Like 2

They are not running scared, its plan B time. They thought plan A was good, but they were wrong. Giving up, not a chance in hell. I don't trust them because their mouths are moving, just like Their god in Dubai.

• Like 2

I think it is because since the student massacre at Thammasat of 1976 the students have never ever come out en masse in protests. Not even during the height of the yellow and red shirt demonstrations. Individuals have joined these, even small groups.

But never since 1976 have the students come out en masse in protests as they are coming out now! Many universities have held protest marches against the amnesty bill and to be fair against this government (they are all shouting rattabaan oak pai, or Yingluck oak pai and even Shinawatra oak pai). I find it a good thing that the normally apathetic students here in Thailand have obviously been aroused enough to take to the streets for the first time in close to 40 years!

• Like 2

"She said the people should not believe rumours and should use their judgement to consider information from all sides so that the country can move forward.

She also said the government would not use force against the protesters and would not use troops to control the situation. Her government would use only the police to keep law and order."

Line 1 are the words from Thaksin himself, clearly.

Line 2 ? : Oh shit, we may have a coup on our hands.

-mel.

Emergency call on Skype: "Brother, brother, they are protesting against moi. I did everything you told me, but the idiots don't get it is for the good of the country!!cheesy.gif Please let me reinstate Chalerm as the deputy PM, to take some pressure of me, it is getting sooo unpleasant. Should I let the army kill a few, anything dear brother, to get the attention away from me. Getting so bored with visiting the provinces"

Sorry to ad. "Dear brother I need to go far away for som shopping, can I? Please!

If Thailand is to take giant steps forward against corruption, nepotism and take future elections seriously, then the street protests surely have to keep going and force a dramatic change which sweeps away not only Peua Thai but the old faces of the Democratic Party and all the other hangers on.

At the moment I would say that this is unlikely to happen, but the next week will be interesting, and it's becoming more than just a battle over amnesty.

• Like 2

"Yingluck said the House of Representatives had voted Thursday afternoon to remove all the pending amnesty and reconciliation bills from the House agenda."

That excludes the one which passed early morning November 1st. That one is already sent to the Senate. So it might no longer be necessary to 'pressure' the government, but surely a voice needs to be heard to let senators know how the Thai population feels about the 'blanket amnesty' bill the House dropped on them.

• Like 1

Suthep: "If the people misunderstood (and believed) that the government has retreated, there would have been only small no. of protesters now."
Suthep: "On the other hand, people came to join the rally earlier than previous days. It showed people are smarter than PM Yingluck."

Suthep asked protesters to be calm and wait for Monday November 11.

Suthep: "At 6pm of Monday Nov 11, we will set up the People's Court on Rajdamnoen Rd.".

Suthep: "My group will listen to and follow the voice of the people. Please think, analyse and decide, three days to go."

Suthep: "In the meantime, the protesters will observe the deeds of Yingluck's government and record them in their own journals."

Suthep: "I haven't seen such a beautiful picture like this for 30-40 years now. Now I am hopeful to see a massive number of patriots."

Far from being over, it seems that the protest organizers aim to step things up and remove the Shinawatras from the political scene completely.

Edited by Sunderland