Swedish Massage in Thailand?

iluvthailand

I am also seeking REAL Swedish massage in Pattaya. It is entirely different than Thai massage. I just don't like Thai massage anymore. Some of things they do, twisting the head and pushing on the thigh arteries just freaks me out!

So what on earth IS a Swedish massage? I have no clue what constitutes a Swedish massage.

I am also seeking REAL Swedish massage in Pattaya. It is entirely different than Thai massage. I just don't like Thai massage anymore. Some of things they do, twisting the head and pushing on the thigh arteries just freaks me out!

So what on earth IS a Swedish massage? I have no clue what constitutes a Swedish massage.

A massage in Sweden silly ...wink.png

It's the most popular style of massage in the west.

http://www.webmd.com/balance/massage-therapy-styles-and-health-benefits

The most common type of massage is Swedish massage therapy. It involves soft, long, kneading strokes, as well as light, rhythmic, tapping strokes, on topmost layers of muscles. This is also combined with movement of the joints. By relieving muscle tension, Swedish therapy can be both relaxing and energizing. And it may even help after an injury.

The four common strokes of Swedish massage are:

• Effleurage: a smooth, gliding stroke used to relax soft tissue
  • Petrissage: the squeezing, rolling, or kneading that follows effleurage
  • Friction: deep, circular movements that cause layers of tissue to rub against each other, helping to increase blood flow and break down scar tissue
  • Tapotement: a short, alternating tap done with cupped hands, fingers, or the edge of the hand
Edited by Jingthing

I am a big fan of massage. Love love it. Swedish massage is the typical massage you would get in a spa in America. It is very relaxing and therapeutic. Coupled with music and aroma therapy, you really feel like you've taken a vacation at the end of the session.

Nothing against Thai massage but I don't like the contortions involved. And as pointed out, some of the techniques used are medically questionable, especially the high pressure on certain vulnerable areas of the body, such as around the lymphatic vessels and drainage beds. Do they teach anatomy in Thai massage schools?

• Like 1

It's weird actually. Here is Pattaya it seems there are literally HUNDREDS (or even thousands) of "massage" shops. Most are offering legit massage believe it or not, Thai style, also foot massage, and the offerings of oil are just BS Thai massage with extras often offered for the punters.

In other words, MASSIVE competition for the SAME thing.

Wouldn't it be super smart to train at least 10 percent of these massage workers in Swedish technique and ADVERTISE this? It could even command a decent premium price over the typical offerings.

I really don't get it.

It seems over 90 percent of the time these massage workers are sitting on their duffs.

Massive labor oversupply.
This would get more working, no?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

and now a massage from the Swedish prime minister....

if you want a genuine Swedish massage, try Sweden

That's ridiculous. Better in Santa Cruz. It's not asking for anything weird. It's the most standard massage there is internationally.

Sent from my GT-S5360B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Oddly, after becoming a connoisseur i have switched from oil to thai.

Oil is for beginners, thai is much more therapeutic if done properly. imho

oil is more for relaxing and please note costs more too

Sounds like a case of massage snobbery / machismo. I was into Thai massage for years and now you couldn't pay me to have one. It's just preference.

• Like 1

That's ridiculous. Better in Santa Cruz. It's not asking for anything weird. It's the most standard massage there is internationally.

Jingthing old boy, you seem stressed with your sharp replies tonight! not like you.

not only in Santa Cruz. Cochabamba too is famous for Swedish massages.

Shame massage is a restricted occupation. I suppose I could legally "teach" swedish massage though?

Any enterprising owners want to add it to there services. Thats a thought ?

Never understood why in the non soapy supposedly proper spa's etc they never ask any medical questions or check for contraindications to the massage? Massage to the wrong one with certain medical issues can cause serious problems, guess thats the difference with a professional therapist.

So, what would an acceptable rate for a professional 1hr body massage ? What would you be prepared to pay for the real deal?

Edited by CharlieH

Yes, it IS ridiculous and outrageous that although Thailand is famous (infamous) for massage, you can't get a proper one to save your soul.

Congrats to the guy who has never been here and yet knows it all!

Having had excellent massage of varying types all over Thailand, the answer is yes Swedish is available. However, if you are a cheapo you just won't find it :)

• Like 1

Yes, it IS ridiculous and outrageous that although Thailand is famous (infamous) for massage, you can't get a proper one to save your soul.

Congrats to the guy who has never been here and yet knows it all!

Having had excellent massage of varying types all over Thailand, the answer is yes Swedish is available. However, if you are a cheapo you just won't find it smile.png

List of providers for SWEDISH massage in Thailand, please!

I don't recall this being offered to me in Thailand with any kind of promotion or advertising even once.

Edited by Jingthing

ummm Chiva Som not only offers Swedish massage but even has a school that teaches it. There are many many others amongst them AuraThaimassage, the Peninsula .... Sanctuary ...

For more than that I am sure your can use Google ... but I found 5 in Pattaya. I have only used 2 in Chiang Mai and Chiva Som myself.

Edited by jdinasia
  • Like 1