Russian tourist dies after Phuket massage

webfact

Russian tourist dies after Phuket massage
Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- A Russian tourist died after suffering a heart attack in the middle of receiving a massage in Bang Tao (view here), on Phuket’s west coast, yesterday.

Sergey Taruraev, 37, was pronounced dead by medical staff at about 5:30pm soon after his arrival at Thalang Hospital.

An ambulance was dispatched by the hospital after being notified at 4:30pm by staff at a massage salon at the southern end of Bang Tao beach that a man had gone into shock while receiving a massage.

“The rescue team tried to revive him and rushed him to hospital. The medical team tried their best, but could not save him,” explained Lt Chatree Chuwichian of Thalang Police.

Ms Taruraev told police that she came to Phuket with her husband and their son, and were staying at the nearby Chava Resort at Surin Beach (map here).

“At about 3:30pm, I took our son shopping at Cherng Talay while my husband went for a massage,” Ms Taruraev told police.

The widow told told officers that Sergey had twice before undergone heart surgery.

Regardless, Lt Chatree told the Phuket Gazette, “At this stage, we will still wait for doctors at the hospital to confirm the cause of death.”

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Russian-tourist-dies-after-Phuket-massage-22755.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-11-09

Some times the thai massage is quite a hard massage. Leaves your body hurting for a day after. But you feel good afterwards.

Nobody is to blame here. Just unfortunate and sad.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

hurt for a day but feel good after that ?

Total tosh

Thai massage can lead to a massive temporary increase in blood pressure and for this reason is not recommended for anyone already suffering from hypertension or heart condition. This advice should be prominently displayed in all massage facilities and explained in tourist literature, but of course...

If anyone reading this is about to retort "that's tosh" or similar, try this: Using a home blood pressure monitor take your BP in both arms before and after a massage. Prepare to be shocked by what you see. You may feel 'relaxed' by the experience, but your circulation is not.

• Like 1

Some times the thai massage is quite a hard massage. Leaves your body hurting for a day after. But you feel good afterwards.

Nobody is to blame here. Just unfortunate and sad.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It's kind of like hitting yourself on the head with a hammer. It feels so good when you stop! Seriously, I don't think it's a good idea to let the massage girls press down on that inner thigh large vein that is close to the crotch, for a long time. as they do, to stop or restrict the blood flow there, I suppose to try to induce some kind of tingly feeling when the flow starts again. It could induce a blood clot, especially for older lads, such as us! From there a clot could go to the heart, I believe.

Edited by Longtooth
  • Like 1

If you were to count the number of deaths occurring during massage, as a percentage of the total number of massages performed on the Island every year, the figure would be infinitesimal. (excluding sexual massage)

Probably one of the safest activities you could undergo. Safer than sleeping.

Thai massage can lead to a massive temporary increase in blood pressure and for this reason is not recommended for anyone already suffering from hypertension or heart condition. This advice should be prominently displayed in all massage facilities and explained in tourist literature, but of course...

If anyone reading this is about to retort "that's tosh" or similar, try this: Using a home blood pressure monitor take your BP in both arms before and after a massage. Prepare to be shocked by what you see. You may feel 'relaxed' by the experience, but your circulation is not.

Given the millions and millions of massages administered in Thailand yearly, a "massive temporary increase in blood pressure" would be killing a significant number of people ... and that is not happening.

Meanwhile years ago the manager of the Nana hotel opposite Nana plaza told me the hotel has several heart attacks cases yearly with older men having sex with young ladies. Probably pumped up on Viarga and way over exertion. Actually I feel much more for the poor lady than the man. Given the Thai's superstitions about spirits and ghosts, she's probably haunted for life.

• Like 1

Given the millions and millions of massages administered in Thailand yearly, a "massive temporary increase in blood pressure" would be killing a significant number of people ... and that is not happening.

Meanwhile years ago the manager of the Nana hotel opposite Nana plaza told me the hotel has several heart attacks cases yearly with older men having sex with young ladies. Probably pumped up on Viarga and way over exertion. Actually I feel much more for the poor lady than the man. Given the Thai's superstitions about spirits and ghosts, she's probably haunted for life.

One assumes that the vast majority of Thai massage customers are not at high risk. Those without pre-conditions are unlikely to have a problem from the very much elevated BP that can occur during Thai massage. But if you have severe hypertension, had a previous condition and/or are at risk of stroke or heart attack, the best advice is DO NOT have a Thai massage. This man would probably not have partaken if he had known that in advance, or if the practitioner had run a routine health questionnaire beforehand (as responsible massage spas do).

The point I have made is not 'my opinion' on the matter. I am stating a fact and it is quite easy for anyone with a blood pressure monitor to check for themselves. Such knowledge can prevent loss of lives.

Edited by KhunOr

I think there are a lot of injuries from Thai massage we never hear about. Obviously a sudden death like this we would tend to hear about it. I am sure many of these massage workers are not properly skilled and trained and has been said medical screening is pretty much unheard of.

This unfortunate man probably thought he was going in for something relaxing. Thai massage is often not relaxing at all. I especially think the groin pressure thing and the quick head twisting are extremely questionable from a medical point of view, especially in the hands of the unskilled.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Onetime I almost died soon about crazy Thai massage. Some masseuse makes fan with farangs, and enjoy to hurt them, then when farang is left they are laughing with colleges. There are many idiots.

I'm finished with Thai massage, I go only special massage, and this doesn't hurt.

I think there are a lot of injuries from Thai massage we never hear about. Obviously a sudden death like this we would tend to hear about it. I am sure many of these massage workers are not properly skilled and trained and has been said medical screening is pretty much unheard of. 

This unfortunate man probably thought he was going in for something relaxing. Thai massage is often not relaxing at all. I especially think the groin pressure thing and the quick head twisting are extremely questionable from a medical point of view, especially in the hands of the unskilled. 

This is one of the reasons I stopped going to a chiropractor despite still getting back pain. The neck twist can prove fatal

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

i own a very successful massage business in patong, all new customers are sat down and have to fill in a questionnaire regarding medical conditions, this was supplied by the Thai authorities and we gladly welcomed it, we also ask please make us aware of any problem area's, if a lady is pregnant, we simply won't massage her, average massage girls train for a few hours to get a certificate to cover them in the naughty massage places, our masseurs train a minimum of 150 hours, tested and re-tested then all certificates awarded via a independent assessor, same as 5 star hotels, when people say Thai's are naturals at massage, i say " what would you rather have, a natural born dentist or a fully trained and qualified one" the trained dentist every time!!!!!, so go to a qualified masseur, you can't muck about especially regarding proper Thai massage techniques, it's a real shame about the young Russian guy that died, i'm sure he must have had a underlying medical condition, again a terrible thing to happen!!!!!

• Like 2

One assumes that the vast majority of Thai massage customers are not at high risk. Those without pre-conditions are unlikely to have a problem from the very much elevated BP that can occur during Thai massage. But if you have severe hypertension, had a previous condition and/or are at risk of stroke or heart attack, the best advice is DO NOT have a Thai massage. This man would probably not have partaken if he had known that in advance, or if the practitioner had run a routine health questionnaire beforehand (as responsible massage spas do).

The point I have made is not 'my opinion' on the matter. I am stating a fact and it is quite easy for anyone with a blood pressure monitor to check for themselves. Such knowledge can prevent loss of lives.

Many people seem to be under the impression that having a 'massage' keeps you fit and is a substitute for exercise! Personally, I've tried a few various massages, but the only one that I could honestly say that I felt any 'benefit' from was in Goa, from an Indian Male. The others, were a non event as far as feeling relaxed or beneficial afterwards. Pity that people don't do more exercise, rather than relying on the so called 'health benefits of massage'. I also agree, that some of the practises re 'rapid neck movements' are utterly stupid in the extreme and could cause major damage to the recipient and should be avoided at all costs.