Should I buy a used Ford in Thailand?

scottmercer86

I'm interested in buying a used 2007 Ford Everest here in Thailand. I have a Thai friend who made me second guess myself, because he said he wasn't sure Ford was good here in Thailand. He thought that parts may be very expensive to fix it when it breaks down. Have any of you owned a Ford or do you have any input?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't own a ford....so don't know regarding replacement parts.(easy to find out though....go ask at the ford dealership)

Unless your getting a GREAT price (200,000 or less) why buy used when you can buy a new truck for between 400,000 to 500,000 baht

Thailand is great for making a truck (or car) look great after its been in an accident AND turning back the speedometer ...

If your bent on getting this truck....be VERY careful!

• Like 1

Mechanical parts are not such a problem, because it's just a Mazda B2200 underneath. Panels and interior parts are the ones you're going to be stuck using Ford for, and could lead to delays in the event of crash repairs.

Don't own a ford....so don't know regarding replacement parts.(easy to find out though....go ask at the ford dealership)

Unless your getting a GREAT price (200,000 or less) why buy used when you can buy a new truck for between 400,000 to 500,000 baht

Thailand is great for making a truck (or car) look great after its been in an accident AND turning back the speedometer ...

What new truck can you buy for 400,000 baht?

• Like 2

The base model Ford Everest starts at just under 1 million, so a new one you can buy a new truck for between 400,000 to 500,000 baht would a huge discount

.. you would just about get a 2007 model for that price

Edited by ignis
  • Like 1

Would have thought this would get more response and info in the motoring forum.

Just the opposite: The 'lack of info and replys' is in itself telling.

This Thai market favors certain Japanese brands, thus Ford and others don't sell well as a whole = 'less' service and aftermarket parts (as compared to the Toyotas, Hondas, Isuzus, etc.)

But, if that is no deterrent to you, I would suggest buying only an Everest with a 3.0L engine (not a 2.5L engine). Though the Everest 3.0L isn't as powerful as its competitors, the 2.5L really lacks, IMHO - of course.

I almost bought a used 2012 Everest but after the test drive, learned that the owner was selling it precisely because of its comparatively 'lack of power'.

THB 600,000 looks to be about the maximum for a very good conditioned 2007 w/ 3.0L.

Do you know the owner? Is the owner a farang? How many km on the odometer? New tires, brakes, battery, etc.? What parts have been serviced/replaced?

Well ...giddyup ...if you READ it properly ....it says ..."between 400,000 and 500,000 baht" and there are plenty..Toyota, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Etc....just have to get the basic model...Now if you go to ANY dealership you'll find they have some in that price range!

And with regard to the Ford Everest...I have no clue as to its value either new or used ....I was just pointing out "why buy used when for a little more you can buy new and you know what your getting.....NOT somebody else's problem!"

Edited by beachproperty
  • Like 1

Ford is not the most popular brand here, which means that second hand prices are more attractive than for some other brands (read: more car for the same money). So yes, Ford is one of the brands that can be attractive second hand.

Yeah Fords are not popular in LOS and the Everest is not a popular model even by Ford standards, but the basic vehicle is sound. Buying one at the right price would be fine if you want a boxy old style PPV.

We have the old model Ranger and it is a good reliable truck. We have not had any issues with parts of service but not needed much either. The Ford / Mazda engine is good, with comparable power and torque to Toyota / Isuzu equivalents. The 2.5L is fine in the pick up with a manual trans but the heavier Everest with an auto would be slower with the smaller engine, like the 2.5L & 3.0L Fortuner.

Resale value is an interesting question. Talarod have plenty of 2007 Fortuners (600 - 700,000 baht), MU7's (500 - 600,000 baht) and only two Everests (519 and 559,000 baht). Thanachart list the 2007 3.0L Everest at about 600,000, similar to the MU7 and ~150,000 less than a similar Fortuner. If Thanachart and Talarod asking prices are representative, the Everest has not done too badly considering it was less expensive than the Fortuner when new.

Edited by Jitar
  • Like 1

Well ...giddyup ...if you READ it properly ....it says ..."between 400,000 and 500,000 baht" and there are plenty..Toyota, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Etc....just have to get the basic model...Now if you go to ANY dealership you'll find they have some in that price range!

And with regard to the Ford Everest...I have no clue as to its value either new or used ....I was just pointing out "why buy used when for a little more you can buy new and you know what your getting.....NOT somebody else's problem!"

Hardly comparable a base model more than likely 2 door pickup as opposed to a 7 seater 5 door and higher off the floor to boot...,but yes agreed buying new is better if you can afford it..

A Tata.

• Like 2

Hardly comparable a base model more than likely 2 door pickup as opposed to a 7 seater 5 door and higher off the floor to boot...,but yes agreed buying new is better if you can afford it..

Well ....not so sure....the 2 door pickup can seat 12 people or more (have seen it many times in Thailand...)...And if higher off the ground is a requirement ....put a lift kit in (Not too expensive....shocks, springs and new coils....20,000 baht...had it done before)

• Like 1

I have a family of 4 and we would like 2 more children so I need a 7 seater. The Everest I am looking at is a 2007 2.5 litre with 73000 kilometers and is 505,000฿. It is owned by a farang. To get a 7 seater new starts me at a million baht.

Edited by scottmercer86

Yeah Fords are not popular in LOS and the Everest is not a popular model even by Ford standards, but the basic vehicle is sound. Buying one at the right price would be fine if you want a boxy old style PPV.

We have the old model Ranger and it is a good reliable truck. We have not had any issues with parts of service but not needed much either. The Ford / Mazda engine is good, with comparable power and torque to Toyota / Isuzu equivalents. The 2.5L is fine in the pick up with a manual trans but the heavier Everest with an auto would be slower with the smaller engine, like the 2.5L & 3.0L Fortuner.

Resale value is an interesting question. Talarod have plenty of 2007 Fortuners (600 - 700,000 baht), MU7's (500 - 600,000 baht) and only two Everests (519 and 559,000 baht). Thanachart list the 2007 3.0L Everest at about 600,000, similar to the MU7 and ~150,000 less than a similar Fortuner. If Thanachart and Talarod asking prices are representative, the Everest has not done too badly considering it was less expensive than the Fortuner when new.

I have a family if 4 and we would like 2 more children so I need a 7 seater. The Everest I am looking at is a 2007 2.5 litre with 73000 kilometers. It is a 1 time owned by a farang. To get a 7 seater new starts me at a million baht.

Jitar's comparative 7-seater SUV listings is right-on and what you need in order to make an informed opinion - it looks as though you plan to keep this vehicle for awhile.

You can use Jitar's listings to compare prices and SUV models.

73,000 km should be <1/4 of the vehicle's life if it has been maintained.

A 3.0L is the best way you want to go and the Isuzu MU-7 is has more interior volume and is far more roomier than the Everest. thumbsup.gif

Edited by thailoht

Mechanical parts are not such a problem, because it's just a Mazda B2200 underneath. Panels and interior parts are the ones you're going to be stuck using Ford for, and could lead to delays in the event of crash repairs.

Depending on the year of build parts are easily obtainable.

You have also the choiice, for many body parts also, to buy the Mazda equivalents.

Engines, in the later years, were all Ford. the 2500 and 3000 were made in the UK, the short engines came all from Bordeaux

Older engines were the 2200 Mazda engines, also found in the old Mazda 2200 van

Well ....not so sure....the 2 door pickup can seat 12 people or more (have seen it many times in Thailand...)...And if higher off the ground is a requirement ....put a lift kit in (Not too expensive....shocks, springs and new coils....20,000 baht...had it done before)

Sure,but seeing as he's not looking for a pickup and he wouldn't be insured to carry his family on the back of a pickup,however many you can carry on it,back to the Everest ...

• Like 1

Maybe not the place to ask this, but any recommendations for a new dual cab 4X4 auto "pick up"? I would prefer a custom tray back with drop down sides/back but not sure if I can buy the truck with a bare back chassis and have a reliable installation done. I will be living about 45 minutes from Udon Thani so would like to buy and have servicing done there. Any recommendations on make/model/dealers?

Maybe not the place to ask this, but any recommendations for a new dual cab 4X4 auto "pick up"? I would prefer a custom tray back with drop down sides/back but not sure if I can buy the truck with a bare back chassis and have a reliable installation done. I will be living about 45 minutes from Udon Thani so would like to buy and have servicing done there. Any recommendations on make/model/dealers?

Not new, but seems like a great deal!

http://bangkok.craigslist.co.th/cto/4180772410.html

...so then, can I find a better deal on a 7 seater for 500,000฿ than a 2007 Limited edition Ford Everest 2.5 litre with 73000 kilometers?

Besides searching through the 2nd-hand vehicle listings that Jitar listed, There are at least six pages of '06 - '08 SUVs at this listing: http://www.one2car.com/search/search_result.aspx?Brand=B0022&Model=S0726&Year1=2006&Year2=2008&

especially the 2nd vehicle on the first page: a top-of-the-line '08 Isuzu 3.0L 4WD for THB 595,000 that may interest you - the price is begging to be talked down. You will have to find out what the mileage is.

• Like 1

2007 Ford Everest looks more like a 1999 Ford Everest....or a 2012 Ford Everest. Maybe if it had some major updated as do Chevy, Isuzu or Nissan it would be given some cred by me....and others. But your looking at a S/H model anyway, so what the heck!

...so then, can I find a better deal on a 7 seater for 500,000฿ than a 2007 Limited edition Ford Everest 2.5 litre with 73000 kilometers?

.... Here's another 'better deal':

http://www.one2car.com/ISUZU_MU-7/K06130182

'08 MU-7, 57,xxx original km - THB 550,000

The '08 models have the 2 DVD screens (kids will luv it!) and added GPS(?) and the updated 3.0L engine modification - more power!

.... and there are more deals to be discovered within those 6 pgs. of listings! thumbsup.gif

Edited by thailoht