Why would someone prefer cold winter Europe to Thailand

michaeltheR

I know some foreigners who would not want to live or visti Thailand. They say that its too hot and too much qactio going on an prefer to live in their cold homec ountries where its dark quite early. Since living here I cannot imagine wanting to go back to a cold country but I heard a couple people who lived here are not happy and left. Thought warm weather makes people more happy.

• Like 1

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Live here for several years and then tell me you "dont" enjoy the break to colder climates, the ability to walk for an hour with the wind in your face and a slight chill in the air. Live Hot escape to cooler and the majoity do vice - versa.

Its all about finding a change and escaping from the norm.

+1thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Live here for several years and then tell me you "dont" enjoy the break to colder climates, the ability to walk for an hour with the wind in your face and a slight chill in the air. Live Hot escape to cooler and the majoity do vice - versa.

+1thumbsup.gif

I went back to the UK several years back, flew out from Bangkok on 15 May, as the plane landed at Heathrow the pilot informed us that

ground temp was 7 degrees C. I then had to travel to Cornwall, bloody perishing. So it went on throughout my 7 month stay,I actually developed chil blaines (sp) never had them in my life. My old body does not cope well with cold weather any more. This was in an English summer, Winter! no thanks.

Come May/June, after months of baking blistering heat and blinding sunlight...you'll be crying out out for the fresh cool air which follows the first decent rains.....

We'd sometimes head up to Mussoorie in Northern India where you could get some belting rooms available at the now corporation ruined Savoy (and elsewhere)just to get a taste of real cold weather...roaring fires, stuffed tigers and leopards plus ghosts(the ghosts weren't stuffed they just wandered around the corridors according to the staff)....all very Kipling,,,(the writer, not the cake bloke)

why not have a house in each place?

Thats exactly why I do, and I dont believe in burning bridges or removing potential safety nets either.

lol! my wife wouldnt stand for living in isaan in the hot season when she knew she could be in a nice cool climate in canada. not to mention i get to keep my health insurance if im not away more than 7 months!!

Edited by AYJAYDEE

+1thumbsup.gif

I went back to the UK several years back, flew out from Bangkok on 15 May, as the plane landed at Heathrow the pilot informed us that

ground temp was 7 degrees C. I then had to travel to Cornwall, bloody perishing. So it went on throughout my 7 month stay,I actually developed chil blaines (sp) never had them in my life. My old body does not cope well with cold weather any more. This was in an English summer, Winter! no thanks.

Actually my wife and me wanted to spent christmas this year back home, we´re both truly missing it. We look forward for cold air, wearing coats and scarfs, drink Glühwein.....walk through christmas markets. Really hope we can manage it this year.

What you have experienced with your trip to the UK is quite "strange"? I would have expected that you might freeze more or something like that, but that the body could show such serious reactions puzzles me a bit. I only noticed that i´m getting cold faster for the first few days, that was all. Maybe not everyone misses the cold, but many wink.png

Edited by I knew this would happen

Agreed. I'm just back from Japan (get me), where it's Autumn. The weather was lovely, nice and cool, without being cold. Jeans, t-shirt and a light jacket kind of weather, meaning you walk around comfortably without sweating and feeling uncomfortable, it was a nice change from Thailand.

That said, if this was Japanvisa forum, and I'd just come back from visiting Thailand, I'd probably be telling you all how magnificent the weather was, lovely and warm etc, so there you go!

why not have a house in each place?

Khun AYJAYDEE!!

This is Thaivisa. The forum where the hottest and most popular threads are about:

How to live my dreamlife on 20.000 a month

How to circumvent the visarules, because I don't have the means.

My favourite 7/11 meal

My waterbill went up 20 baht, am I being scammed

And my personal favourite: The validity of 7/11 rebate-stamps?

And those are the posters, you want to have 2 homes??cheesy.gif

This actually made LOL. Nice one!

• Like 1

Well, some people are strange and other people just say they like the cold European weather, because they have no other choice.

Its a bit like the guys who are married to fat ugly western women and bring them on holidays to Thailand. They either really like fat ugly women or make up excuses in their minds, to avoid committing suicide. So for some I guess it is a "fetish" and for others a way to justify their miserable life...

Well, some people are strange and other people just say they like the cold European weather, because they have no other choice.

Its a bit like the guys who are married to fat ugly western women and bring them on holidays to Thailand. They either really like fat ugly women or make up excuses in their minds, to avoid committing suicide. So for some I guess it is a "fetish" and for others a way to justify their miserable life...

why wouldnt they bring their wife to thailand on holiday?

• Like 1

If it's cold outside, I can always add more clothes.

If it's hot outside, once I'm down to my skivvies, there's no more can be done.

Grew up in the cold, swore I'd never live there again. But that's when clothing tech was so bad you couldn't move if you had on enough to stay warm in -40 degrees. Nowadays, a few layers of high tech, and it's toasty warm in the worst weather I've ever encountered; -40 degrees and 50 mph wind in Wyoming, skiing another 30 mph into the wind.

I have been thinking about this a lot recently. I do like warm weather, swimming in the sea and picking bananas and papaya off the trees, but it's also about this time of year back home that I'd be cutting firewood, November was always my least favourite month, but I miss cutting firewood. I also really liked the bright, crisp January days you get in northern England, and the slowly advancing spring, then a short summer where everyone goes to the (still freezing by Thai standards!) beach and/or lights a barbecue and drinks beer, until about 7pm when it's time to put a jumper on again!

• Like 2

It is quite cool here in the UK at present and I am actually enjoying it. The air seems fresher. The pace of life seems more relaxed. Yes it gets darker a bit earlier but that also makes a pleasurable change. If it gets cold I turn on the central heating, in the same way I turn on the air-con in Thailand when it gets too hot.

Each to their own.

The seasons change. The autumn leaves are a wonderful array of colour. Snow on the ground makes it seem fresh (until it turns to sludge laugh.png ). Variety !!

Sometimes that is better than blazing hot sun each day with sweat dripping from your every orifice sad.png

• Like 2

I would rather be hot than cold, as I look out of my window seeing grey skies, drizzle, 10c and it's only November. I've got another 5 months of this weather and it's only going to get colder, wetter and icier to come.

When I was living in Bangkok in 2011, there was one day that I actually wanted a nice cool breeze, well, sod the cool breeze, it's not very pleasant after month upon month of it.

I never used to moan in Thailand, well, not that much, but here in the UK, everyone moans about something, including, horrible place, can't wait to land back in BKK!

• Like 1

There is no need to ask such a question in order to find out why some fellows like to go back to the UK, the reason's are personal matters, not general matters.

Many UK chaps came (and come) to Thailand after retirement, and I know that after a few years some of them would like to go back for a short time, but factually they have burned their bridges and are unable to go back based on financial shortages .

The reason why they want to go back for a short time are "emotional feelings" of their home country, and not a matter of the UK cool climate.

+1thumbsup.gif

The warmer climate is better for my body as well, its nice to go back for break and of course take trip down to Cornwall, but to live there now with cost of things is a non starter. I miss things, could make you a list but the cost of living in the Uk now is horrific and when you see it as one big hit once a year it is a shock, so I will have to miss the seasons of cold and see whats supposed to be the best weather before returning to the warm seas.

There is no need to ask such a question in order to find out why some fellows like to go back to the UK, the reason's are personal matters, not general matters.

Many UK chaps came (and come) to Thailand after retirement, and I know that after a few years some of them would like to go back for a short time, but factually they have burned their bridges and are unable to go back based on financial shortages .

The reason why they want to go back for a short time are "emotional feelings" of their home country, and not a matter of the UK cool climate.

Fair point, I like to ride on the railway system to see my old chums, walk round the cities and places I like, drink some real ale and enjoy the local foods, these as you say are personal and emotional.

The lifestyle is better here mostly, just wish the infrastructure was a bit better and had a decent railway system, if it did I expect the costs would be to pay for it, so will have to leave it for the time being.