Why would someone prefer cold winter Europe to Thailand

michaeltheR

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my travels I have found that the many if not most people who live in mild/hot climates seem to spend an excessive amount of time and effort worrying about cold weather, while those who live in four climate areas seem to enjoy and live their life whiling appreciating whatever season/weather comes their way as just a part of life.

It is just weather.

Edited by SpokaneAl

Well, I live in Thailand most of the time, but when I come back to my native country (France), I usually do that during the winter season because I really enjoy skiing. That's one of those things that I miss the most when I am in Thailand.

Well, some people are strange and other people just say they like the cold European weather, because they have no other choice.

Its a bit like the guys who are married to fat ugly western women and bring them on holidays to Thailand. They either really like fat ugly women or make up excuses in their minds, to avoid committing suicide. So for some I guess it is a "fetish" and for others a way to justify their miserable life...

Probably just like you (Mr Adonis, with the perfect George Clooney looks and body) taking your perfect, Hi So Thai wife (who has a PHD in bullshit) to the West, because they like going on holiday with their wives?

Why would somebody ask such a question of ex-patriots, living in Thailand?

Ahhh, you're in the "honeymoon" phase.

Beautiful, isn't she? So different, romantic, exotic.

Hang around …..

7 years going on 8 what is it I am supposed to see.

Will admit two weeks of snow would be nice but no more.

People like that are like the people who like to go for a nice walk but just never can every time they start they have to stop and take a club to a poor defenseless little white ball that never did them any harm. Then they wonder why they couldn't have a nice walk.facepalm.gif

why not have a house in each place?

Khun AYJAYDEE!!

This is Thaivisa. The forum where the hottest and most popular threads are about:

How to live my dreamlife on 20.000 a month

How to circumvent the visarules, because I don't have the means.

My favourite 7/11 meal

My waterbill went up 20 baht, am I being scammed

And my personal favourite: The validity of 7/11 rebate-stamps?

And those are the posters, you want to have 2 homes??cheesy.gif

clap2.gifclap2.gif

Live here for several years and then tell me you "dont" enjoy the break to colder climates, the ability to walk for an hour with the wind in your face and a slight chill in the air. Live Hot escape to cooler and the majoity do vice - versa.

Its all about finding a change and escaping from the norm.

+1thumbsup.gif

I went back to the UK several years back, flew out from Bangkok on 15 May, as the plane landed at Heathrow the pilot informed us that

ground temp was 7 degrees C. I then had to travel to Cornwall, bloody perishing. So it went on throughout my 7 month stay,I actually developed chil blaines (sp) never had them in my life. My old body does not cope well with cold weather any more. This was in an English summer, Winter! no thanks.

But, northern winters are getting warmer, just listen to all the "Oh-so-credible" climate change fanatics . . whistling.gif

Maybe not.

Edited by bumpkin

Beer makes people happy too, until it´s too much and you have to xsick.gif.pagespeed.ic.tVTSNn-2vr.png

Whats so bad about a season change? Blistering heat every single day makes me mad too and is quite boring. And what´s with christmas time for example, i don´t remember that as cold and ugly.....winter time can be quite cosy and then spring will even feel better after a long time of waiting. The problem of many people is that they always want they can´t have, so in a cold winter an eternal summer might seem very desireable.....until you realize the heat won´t go away, NEVER!

Well it is quite obvious you have not been to Chiang Mai We have for Thailand cool winters in the morning chilly temperatures. We have a season where it is not to hot because of the rain and a season where it is hot. Plus a beautiful surrounding country side.

Whoever never wants to leave LOS again hasn´t been here long enough. Sometimes it´s time for a break/change.

Is that just for people living in Thailand or people living any where in the world?

I think it is called a Barnum statement you know the kind that covers every one.

P T Barnum famous for saying there is a sucker born every minute.

why not have a house in each place?

Thats exactly why I do, and I dont believe in burning bridges or removing potential safety nets either.

Well I don't believe in burning bridges either. That is why I sold my house and moved to Thailand. I can now go to several different places in Canada and have a home to stay at also several different states in the US. Because I did not burn my bridges. Just sold my house so I would not have an anchor around my neck when I went back for a visit. As for a potential safety net well I can always go back to Canada get free medical and a place to stay while I looked around. It is a big country and I have an immense amount of choices. Right now it is the same as when I came here 8 years ago. Victoria B C. Don't know any one there but it is a beautiful city and the climate is not that bad.

Not bad for a lot of bridges and a safety net.

• Like 1

Hot and wet or hot and dry versus 4 changeable seasons. After 15 years in Thailand just been through all the changes in UK. Quite enjoyed it,I seem to make the most of good days now, as opposed to tomorrow will be the same I will do whatever then.

The reality is 60% of the world population do not live in the tropics . Personally I'm looking at a temperate climate for my future residence, can't beat hot days and cool evenings in my opinion.

There is no need to ask such a question in order to find out why some fellows like to go back to the UK, the reason's are personal matters, not general matters.

Many UK chaps came (and come) to Thailand after retirement, and I know that after a few years some of them would like to go back for a short time, but factually they have burned their bridges and are unable to go back based on financial shortages .

The reason why they want to go back for a short time are "emotional feelings" of their home country, and not a matter of the UK cool climate.

Yes there are many living here in Thailand because they did not make financial arrangements for their old age.

As for emotional reasons. Yes.

I understand that it would be nice to spend some time with my brothers and sisters in the states. My boy's and ex wife who is now 29 years later my best friend. In Canada and a couple of friends I have known from the 60s. Two of the times I went back I spent 6 weeks and both times I stayed 2 weeks to long. I don't fit in with there busy even though some of them are retired life style. Nice and emotionally satisfying but definatly not a life style I would care to live.wai2.gif

Maybe for some (especially less fit expats) the tropical climate wears them down. I love the tropical climate but give me a nice fresh crisp autumn aftertoon walk in the park anytime, that can be very enjoyable. In winter freezing your nuts off and having to spend 5 minutes putting on extra layers of clothing before you can go out is overated imo.

• Like 1

I used to live in the UK, and holiday in Thailand, now I live in Thailand and holiday in the UK, (amongst others)

My ultimate aim now having lived here full time for 8 years would be to spend 6 months in each country and have the best from both worlds.

The best part is I have my own piece of Thailand always by my side no matter where I go.

Completely agree, except when now for some reason, (that I had absolutely nothing to do with), there's 2 more smaller pieces of Thailand a generation apart tagging along side by side, no matter where I go.

All combined making the Arctric, or even the Philippines more inviting today. Let us not generalize LOS, aka as posted before Land of $.... $tatements,(LO$$), is all it pretends to be for all.wai2.gifw00t.gif

I have been thinking about this a lot recently. I do like warm weather, swimming in the sea and picking bananas and papaya off the trees, but it's also about this time of year back home that I'd be cutting firewood, November was always my least favourite month, but I miss cutting firewood. I also really liked the bright, crisp January days you get in northern England, and the slowly advancing spring, then a short summer where everyone goes to the (still freezing by Thai standards!) beach and/or lights a barbecue and drinks beer, until about 7pm when it's time to put a jumper on again!

Yep, splitting a cord on a Saturday and stacking it.

Rewarding.

I would rather be hot than cold, as I look out of my window seeing grey skies, drizzle, 10c and it's only November. I've got another 5 months of this weather and it's only going to get colder, wetter and icier to come.

When I was living in Bangkok in 2011, there was one day that I actually wanted a nice cool breeze, well, sod the cool breeze, it's not very pleasant after month upon month of it.

I never used to moan in Thailand, well, not that much, but here in the UK, everyone moans about something, including, horrible place, can't wait to land back in BKK!

Yes the UK is a place where people are happy about it not being cold wet and miserable, which it usually is. Does my head in. Give me Thailand any day. Unfortunately like you I'm stuck here in the UK but I will get 2 weeks of bliss in 8 days time, not that I'm counting xwhistling.gif.pagespeed.ic.FVjgnKnWS1.p

• Like 1

Why would an awful lot here prefer to sit inside with the A/C on, rather then open the windows or use a fan?

Why do my neighbors sit inside with the A/C on and drink red wine, never set foot in a local market, and then peek out every now and again and proclaim how wonderful Thailand is?

• Like 1

According to some posters in some topics Thailand offers a better quality of life because wining and dining a hot gogo dancer cost 1000 baht in Thailand as compaired to dating a gogo dancer from las vegas witch would cost ten times that amount.

Laws should be made so such people would not be allowed to breed.

I don’t know the answer to your question: “Why would someone prefer cold winter Europe to Thailand?”

But in my opinion it could be because some people are challenged in a number of ways. Two of their challenges could be: mentally and intellectually.

Now if you would like to continue communicating with these groups I have some advice:

•Patience is the key.

•Be aware that you must listen and observe the person you are speaking to. In most cases communicating with a person with a disability is very much like learning how to understand an accent. Be ready to adjust your communication style in a respectful way when necessary.

•The most important thing to remember is to treat a person with a disability with respect and compassion. They are not inferior to you; they have feelings just like you and can feel a superior or unsympathetic tone. He's had plenty of experience with it.

•Ask questions along the way. Have you tried this? Do you ever feel angry or happy like that? I picked strawberry flavor, what is your favorite flavor? It helps a person with an intelligence handicap to understand by connecting your experience to their life.

•Don't lose your temper. If you do, reassure them that it is unrelated to him/her, and maybe even explain why you're upset.

•The person you are talking to isn't stupid, s/he has to cope with challenges you will never comprehend. S/he is challenged in their ability to function the same way as you. This person is different, but never deserving of ridicule.

•Try not to care that they have a mental disability. It really helps your friendship with them.

Have a nice day, and last but not least a nice stay

I do not certainly miss the weather in Scandinavian countries, especially winter times. The climate change is certainly affecting already.

You have either to cover yourself up like a Michelin man when it is -30 C and the next week the temperature could rise up fast to +5 C and it is all foggy, because of all the snow melting. Imported UK winter foggy weather. The weather patterns have gone crazy, especially autumn storms are getting more intense.

During winters more and more permanent cloud cover and foggy conditions. We could get sometimes the first snow only in late December or early January when it used to be in November (above Stockholm/Helsinki) Then on the other hand some winters there are two meters of snow everywhere, the Baltic Sea almost all covered with ice and most of the time very cold temperatures.

Summers are getting hotter in the other extreme and most houses are not equipped with AC to deal with 30+ C temperatures. That is why it is called climate change, it is intensifying the extremes and changing the wind patterns.

Edited by Timwin

Well, who knows. Each to their own. There's pro's and con's whatever you do. Me, I prefer the heat. With Raynards syndrome you get white finger and cold body extremities hands and feet in the cold and it just doesn't suit me to live in the cold at all. As long as your health holds out you can stay in the LOS with few problems and don't have to party every night, though its there if you want it.

According to some posters in some topics Thailand offers a better quality of life because wining and dining a hot gogo dancer cost 1000 baht in Thailand as compaired to dating a gogo dancer from las vegas witch would cost ten times that amount.

!000B ! - maybe 15 years ago..

If it's cold outside, I can always add more clothes.

If it's hot outside, once I'm down to my skivvies, there's no more can be done.

Grew up in the cold, swore I'd never live there again. But that's when clothing tech was so bad you couldn't move if you had on enough to stay warm in -40 degrees. Nowadays, a few layers of high tech, and it's toasty warm in the worst weather I've ever encountered; -40 degrees and 50 mph wind in Wyoming, skiing another 30 mph into the wind.

+1. I love Wyoming.

Some people think of cold as a wet cold. Once you've experienced cold with dry air and sunny skies, it will brighten your day.

I grew up on a large wheat and cattle ranch were the annual rainfall was only about 10 inches (25 cm) and when it snowed it never got more than a couple of inches (5 cm) deep. We could go up into the mountains which got more and ski, but it was still a dry, low humidity air.

Unless someone has actually experienced a cold sunny day in Wyoming or Montana or in my case, E. Oregon, he just doesn't know how nice it is. Modern clothes will keep you warm, and then there's a fire in the fireplace...

• Like 1

!000B ! - maybe 15 years ago..

Yeah, I used to get girls to pay me 1,000 baht, but now that I'm older dang it, I have to pay them. :) Now that's inflation.

I don’t know the answer to your question: “Why would someone prefer cold winter Europe to Thailand?”

But in my opinion it could be because some people are challenged in a number of ways. Two of their challenges could be: mentally and intellectually.

Now if you would like to continue communicating with these groups I have some advice:

•Patience is the key.

•Be aware that you must listen and observe the person you are speaking to. In most cases communicating with a person with a disability is very much like learning how to understand an accent. Be ready to adjust your communication style in a respectful way when necessary.

•The most important thing to remember is to treat a person with a disability with respect and compassion. They are not inferior to you; they have feelings just like you and can feel a superior or unsympathetic tone. He's had plenty of experience with it.

•Ask questions along the way. Have you tried this? Do you ever feel angry or happy like that? I picked strawberry flavor, what is your favorite flavor? It helps a person with an intelligence handicap to understand by connecting your experience to their life.

•Don't lose your temper. If you do, reassure them that it is unrelated to him/her, and maybe even explain why you're upset.

•The person you are talking to isn't stupid, s/he has to cope with challenges you will never comprehend. S/he is challenged in their ability to function the same way as you. This person is different, but never deserving of ridicule.

•Try not to care that they have a mental disability. It really helps your friendship with them.

Have a nice day, and last but not least a nice stay

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by SpokaneAl

Well, some people are strange and other people just say they like the cold European weather, because they have no other choice.

Its a bit like the guys who are married to fat ugly western women and bring them on holidays to Thailand. They either really like fat ugly women or make up excuses in their minds, to avoid committing suicide. So for some I guess it is a "fetish" and for others a way to justify their miserable life...

<deleted>?

• Like 1

Why not "Live and Let Live"?

Ones paradise is another's hell.

Some find solace in other peoples anguish.

Too hot, perhaps a move. Too cold, perhaps a move.

For me, enough worrying or wondering about why people do what they do. Be nice to one another and wherever you are, it will feel like the Nirvana that we seek.

• Like 1

<deleted>?

Perhaps asking the poster for more clarification would help. I too am confused with his post, but the overused "<deleted>" seems lacking in achieving a meaningful response.