Breaking news to a friend that they are being lied to?

kblaze

Wishing the wise ones of TV could offer some advice on this situation;

Colleague has "invested" a significant sum (probably 1-2 mill bht) in his gf's country resort. Its in the mountains and has a lot of greenery and probably 3-4 rooms and places for people to camp. The past couple months shes been hitting him up for 150000, 250000, to add on to the place. He lets her kind of push him around (others do too) and Ive watched it happen painfully since ive known him.

Well today I couldn't take it anymore. He had planned to have a visiting friend stay at the resort this weekend and had let his gf know but then today she calls him up and says that the place is full this weekend, no rooms available. Well my BS radar goes off as she has done this to him a couple other times recently and i just dont believe her. Furthermore he's basically paid for the place so he should be telling her "hey my friend is staying this weekend..."

Anyways the gf doesnt really know me, so I just called the resort, her number, and asked about rooms for this weekend, making it sound like I wanted one. She said "Hab, Hab room" I said "ok ill call you back later.."

My colleague is literally twice my age and has been in Thailand for 30 years so its not a situation where its just easy to say "hey man I checked up behind your back and your gf is lying to you". Its going to severely damage his pride obviously and then theres the fact I called her up behind his back. But of course I could preface it saying that I was concerned and looking out for you.

Do I stay out of this?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if he is just a colleague stay out of it.if he is a very very close friend you have to find a way to let him know.

he's a colleague and I would say a friend, but not "very very" close. We sit next to each other every day and eat lunch together 3/5 days and thus we have gotten to know each other very well the past couple years....

but Im putting myself in his shoes and imagining if I was a 60 yr old Brit who had been in TH for 30 years, would I appreciate an American half my age letting me know that im being duped? It would be hard to swallow especially as "my gfs resort" has become a point of pride for him. Im staying quiet..but its hard.

Stay out of it.....often enough at the end both are angry with you....

Agree. You rat her and her Thai boyfriend out, you'll be the one getting hurt. Not the old foreigner...

Stay out of scam where big money is involved and they don't involve you.

"A favor will kill you faster than a bullet"

• Like 2

if he is just a colleague stay out of it.if he is a very very close friend you have to find a way to let him know.

he's a colleague and I would say a friend, but not "very very" close. We sit next to each other every day and eat lunch together 3/5 days and thus we have gotten to know each other very well the past couple years....

but Im putting myself in his shoes and imagining if I was a 60 yr old Brit who had been in TH for 30 years, would I appreciate an American half my age letting me know that im being duped? It would be hard to swallow especially as "my gfs resort" has become a point of pride for him. Im staying quiet..but its hard.

you have tto stay quiet. she will convince him you are a liar and he will turn on you. send an anonymous note postmarked upcountry if you must but dont ever put him in a position of choosing between u and her. u will lose and he will then make your work life hell.

I'll throw one more into the thought.........

Relationships come and go, true friends can last a lifetime !

Or until the ex gf of friend shoots you in the head.

But personally I would tell the guy to sort himself out.

Sent from my phone with the app thingy.

Lots of woman are leeches, lots more men are suckers.

Rarely do they change stripes.

But, I do agree with Charlie H.

After thinking about it l am too. My friend would come first regardless of a few baht lost to the ''wife''. The ''wife'' at times must think of her husband and his life. sadly many of us have seen greed by some that really beggars belief.

But us farangs are all different and l have seen a few walked over by their ''wife''. Sad but true.

• Like 1

Just tell him straight, once, and leave it at that.

Not wanting a bunch of his drunken mates occupying her/their resort is not the same as carrying on a sordid affair behind his back and plotting to murder him. I have a mate in a very similar situation - I have told him what I thought on a couple of occasions and left him to make his own decision. I've seen other people piss him off becuase they harp on and on about it and treat him as though he was somehow incapable of making his own decisions or having his own thoughts, or simply too stupid and needy to wish to do so.

Actually having observed this developing over 3+ years I've noticed that he's quite shrewd and tends to get what he wants when it really matters but happy to give his wife the responsibility (and a good chunk of cash) that goes with the business. Not something I'd be comfortable with but everyone's different.

• Like 2

He's been here for 30 years, he still has money - he knows the cut of the green.

Does the resort have a good watchdog?

Yes, this is where the conundrum lies, he's been relatively successful in Thailand, and I've only been here 1/5 that he has. Im convinced its a combination of "cant see the forest from the trees" and pride. Lord knows im guilty of the same things, sometimes ive been unaware ive been wronged until someone looking from the outside tells me.

He has intimated that he is getting more frustrated with her, particularly the last time she hit him up for money, as he has already given her a lot. She tells him she needs it to be ready for the high season, but good God, if you go on the website for the "resort" none of it is in English, there is no listing on TripAdvisor or any other booking site. There are some Thai groups that she is affiliated with that come and use it but I think the only pictures of foreigners ive seen were friends of my colleague.

I appreciate the comments

• Like 1

Agree with CharlieH,

I'm a strong believer in honesty with regards to friends whether they are good friends or the occasional ones., and I'm proud to say that I still have good friends notwithstanding this trait of mine.

I do however have reservations about the intent of OP.

But that just me

Yermanee wai.gif

Agree with CharlieH,

I'm a strong believer in honesty with regards to friends whether they are good friends or the occasional ones., and I'm proud to say that I still have good friends notwithstanding this trait of mine.

I do however have reservations about the intent of OP.

But that just me

Yermanee wai.gif

butting in has nothing to do with honesty

Does your friend visit the GF at her resort on a regular basis?

I'd be wondering why she is not keen on friends of his visiting and staying at the resort.

Also, how long have your friend and his GF been together for?

He generally goes when he has friends he wants to take there. Maybe 2-3 times a year. But now its been something like 6 months since he's been as shes told him its full several times in a row.

I think she doesn't want him to go and see what shes done with the money to be honest.

They've been together around 6 years I think..