Old Soi Eric open again

xylophone

a bit off topic but the Aussie bar has hiked its drinks too, 110 baht for a Leo. Thats just rude

New tax kicking in mate - the end user always bears the cost!

The new tax was only supposed to add 2 or 3 baht to a bottle of beer - probably rounded up to 5 baht by the bars.

110 baht a Leo is a little hard to justify.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First time in Phuket for 3 years in June. Couldn't believe Tiger was 120 a beer, 200 lady drink and 1000 bar fine. People won't pay that! As for Soi Eric, Freedom bar has been owned by Wan for 6 years and they renewed, so should be making some profit.

Sent from my ST27a using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

First time in Phuket for 3 years in June. Couldn't believe Tiger was 120 a beer, 200 lady drink and 1000 bar fine. People won't pay that! As for Soi Eric, Freedom bar has been owned by Wan for 6 years and they renewed, so should be making some profit.

When the new Tiger opened up, with the higher prices, I noticed the nightclubs got a lot busier, so, yes, it appears many will not pay a 1000 baht bar fine, and I don't blame them.

So, instead of getting 300 baht, or 500 baht, per bar fine, the bars get no bar fine at all, but, with rent in the new Tiger so high, the owners have very little choice and must try to survive.

Bar fine inflation is out of control. It's the new "Amazing Thailand" I guess. I am pining for days of long ago when you really got some mileage out of your baht for pleasure budget.

And the baht was 44. I can dream , I guess.

The bar fines have gone up to cover the lack of "drinkers" on Bangla Road now.

In recent years, it was 300 baht, then went to 500 baht, and now it's 1000 baht in many bars.

Now it's at 1000 baht, look how well the nightclubs are going. They are packed, especially Taipan. Many going for freelancers now. 1000 baht fine is ridiculous.

Bars do not wish to loss there Sexy Staff/Dancers to some horny bloke. Bar fines have gone up because people are taking girls to early in the night. In effect the bar losses business as a result. Bars do not want to release their staff, hence a higher bar fine.

When the new Tiger opened up, with the higher prices, I noticed the nightclubs got a lot busier, so, yes, it appears many will not pay a 1000 baht bar fine, and I don't blame them.

So, instead of getting 300 baht, or 500 baht, per bar fine, the bars get no bar fine at all, but, with rent in the new Tiger so high, the owners have very little choice and must try to survive.

And the bar gets to keep its staff and sell drinks, as they are paid to do this.

Wow 3 posts from a new member and all avidly in support of the rip off prices in the "New" soi. Welcome to the wonderful world of Patong my mountain friend - hope your new bar does well.

It's only rip off prices if you can't afford it. Patong is a place for tourists, people come here from far away lands because they have saved up all year to do so. You only get locals complaining about prices.

• Like 1

Wow 3 posts from a new member and all avidly in support of the rip off prices in the "New" soi. Welcome to the wonderful world of Patong my mountain friend - hope your new bar does well.

I think our mountain friend was explaining the rationale from the other side of the bar, rather than " avidly supporting" it , and the explanation makes sense. From memory I think most bars drop the bar fine price after midnight to 1am, trying to keep their best salespeople in the bar as long as possible. Bars are businesses after all.

With regards to the prices if people are willing to pay them, which they clearly are, who is anyone else to judge. Personally I'm happy with a slush puppy and bag of crisps from Familymart. Haven't asked about Bar Fines yet, but you never know.

S

• Like 2

I think our mountain friend was explaining the rationale from the other side of the bar, rather than " avidly supporting" it , and the explanation makes sense. From memory I think most bars drop the bar fine price after midnight to 1am, trying to keep their best salespeople in the bar as long as possible. Bars are businesses after all.

With regards to the prices if people are willing to pay them, which they clearly are, who is anyone else to judge. Personally I'm happy with a slush puppy and bag of crisps from Familymart. Haven't asked about Bar Fines yet, but you never know.

S

"With regards to the prices if people are willing to pay them, which they clearly are" - which they clearly ARE NOT - why do you think the Soi closed in the first place????

Bar fine inflation is out of control. It's the new "Amazing Thailand" I guess. I am pining for days of long ago when you really got some mileage out of your baht for pleasure budget.

And the baht was 44. I can dream , I guess.

The bar fines have gone up to cover the lack of "drinkers" on Bangla Road now.

In recent years, it was 300 baht, then went to 500 baht, and now it's 1000 baht in many bars.

Now it's at 1000 baht, look how well the nightclubs are going. They are packed, especially Taipan. Many going for freelancers now. 1000 baht fine is ridiculous.

Bars do not wish to loss there Sexy Staff/Dancers to some horny bloke. Bar fines have gone up because people are taking girls to early in the night. In effect the bar losses business as a result. Bars do not want to release their staff, hence a higher bar fine.

Exactly, the bar owners have had to resort to making more money selling sex, than alcohol, because their drink prices have become expensive. Hence, bar fine goes up, and the girl puts her price up as well, because she is not getting the lady drinks like she used to.

"Bars do not want to release their staff" - don't you run the risk of losing the customer to another bar, or even the nightclubs for freelancers?

A tourist with a little bit of experience in Thailand will have the attitude, "up 2 me" - "not up 2 bar owner" and will move on.

I remember a bar a few years ago, a couple of young French guys tried this, and they had some pretty girls in their bar as well. Their bar got very busy at 11:55pm, and was empty at 12:05am. All they made was a bar fine. They have since sold the bar. smile.pngsmile.png

Edited by NamKangMan

"With regards to the prices if people are willing to pay them, which they clearly are" - which they clearly ARE NOT - why do you think the Soi closed in the first place????

Actually I do happen to know the answer to that.

The former owner of Soi Eric, a chap conveniently called Eric, sold it after many profitable years for a small fortune when all the individual bar leases came to an end. It was bought by a Thai chap, who I'm not sure but I don't think is called Freedom, but I will call him that because it's easier. Anyway Khun Freedom refurbished the Soi and has started re letting the bars, many to the same bar owners as before. This would seem to indicate to me that people were spending money.

S

PS it has been pointed out to me that Familymart do not sell slush puppies, that's 7/11. I am exposed as a fraud.

And the bar gets to keep its staff and sell drinks, as they are paid to do this.

As mentioned, when I, the customer, want to go, I go. If the bar owner thinks it's up to him when I can pay a bar fine and go, he has lost my custom, just on principle.

Actually I do happen to know the answer to that.

The former owner of Soi Eric, a chap conveniently called Eric, sold it after many profitable years for a small fortune when all the individual bar leases came to an end. It was bought by a Thai chap, who I'm not sure but I don't think is called Freedom, but I will call him that because it's easier. Anyway Khun Freedom refurbished the Soi and has started re letting the bars, many to the same bar owners as before. This would seem to indicate to me that people were spending money.

S

PS it has been pointed out to me that Familymart do not sell slush puppies, that's 7/11. I am exposed as a fraud.

My information is that your information is incorrect. :) :)

Anyway, time will tell. Quite a few bars for sale at the moment, with many being on Bangla Road.

"Bars do not wish to loss there Sexy Staff/Dancers to some horny bloke. Bar fines have gone up because people are taking girls to early in the night. In effect the bar losses business as a result. Bars do not want to release their staff, hence a higher bar fine." SA

"Exactly, the bar owners have had to resort to making more money selling sex, than alcohol, because their drink prices have become expensive. Hence, bar fine goes up, and the girl puts her price up as well, because she is not getting the lady drinks like she used to. " NKM

I think the point has been missed. If the bars do NOT want to lose girls too early, how are they resorting to make more money on sex? Surely if that were true the bars would want the girls out servicing as early as possible so they could come back for a few more ?

S

Visited there mid week with a few friends. Hardly recognised many of rhe bars. All changed name , had a makeover , the usual.

I did notice though one of rhe bars on the right if heading to the beach is now a shop ( clothes / shoes? )

And the family mart gutted.

Aussie bar busy as usual , but getring a little hefty for a bottle of magners @ 270thb. Granted a large bottle but , , a small fortune for a drink.

"Bars do not wish to loss there Sexy Staff/Dancers to some horny bloke. Bar fines have gone up because people are taking girls to early in the night. In effect the bar losses business as a result. Bars do not want to release their staff, hence a higher bar fine." SA

"Exactly, the bar owners have had to resort to making more money selling sex, than alcohol, because their drink prices have become expensive. Hence, bar fine goes up, and the girl puts her price up as well, because she is not getting the lady drinks like she used to. " NKM

I think the point has been missed. If the bars do NOT want to lose girls too early, how are they resorting to make more money on sex? Surely if that were true the bars would want the girls out servicing as early as possible so they could come back for a few more ?

S

"how are they resorting to make more money on sex" - in recent times, bar fines went from 300 baht, to 500 baht and now some are asking 1000 baht. I would say that is "making more money from selling sex."

"My information is that your information is incorrect "

Maybe, but let's just say I got it from more than one source, and all directly involved in Soi Eric as was. So let's say that my information is that your information is incorrect. But this is Thailand so who knows or quite frankly cares. If the tourists want to come and spend silly amounts of money having a great time then good luck to them.

S

"My information is that your information is incorrect "

Maybe, but let's just say I got it from more than one source, and all directly involved in Soi Eric as was. So let's say that my information is that your information is incorrect. But this is Thailand so who knows or quite frankly cares. If the tourists want to come and spend silly amounts of money having a great time then good luck to them.

S

"If the tourists want to come and spend silly amounts of money having a great time then good luck to them." - yes, the Russians, Chinese and Indians spend ridiculous amounts of money on alcohol and sex. Good luck to them. cheesy.gif

"how are they resorting to make more money on sex" - in recent times, bar fines went from 300 baht, to 500 baht and now some are asking 1000 baht. I would say that is "making more money from selling sex."

I think it was explained that most places changing 1000 baht do so only to put customers off taking the girls out too early and this is halved after midnight or 1. And also an increase from 300 baht to 500 baht. Are we really talking about an increase of 200 baht when this is the cost of a drink ? Or a Tuk Tuk ride?

S

"If the tourists want to come and spend silly amounts of money having a great time then good luck to them." - yes, the Russians, Chinese and Indians spend ridiculous amounts of money on alcohol and sex. Good luck to them.

Yes good luck to them and the guys whom run the bars.

S

"If the tourists want to come and spend silly amounts of money having a great time then good luck to them." - yes, the Russians, Chinese and Indians spend ridiculous amounts of money on alcohol and sex. Good luck to them.

S

I guess that one went over your head. thumbsup.gif

Actually it didn't. I just got bored.

I've never done a survey of who goes to the bars, but tourists do come here from many countries. At last count I think there were 150 of so different independent states in the world. So not so many Russians, or Chinese or Indians as others go to bars . Boo hoo.

S

S

I guess that one went over your head. Posted Image

Actually that one went straight into the bar owners pocket. Who cares where they are from, they all pay in Thai baht, so what. Agreed some are tighter than others, but it's still money for the bar. It's called Tourism.

• Like 1

Hmmmmm...........I heard that Eric got run out of town not long after the soi first opened. At the opening party, he claimed that he was "King of the soi".

This did not go down well with the officials that were guests at the opening party and he was told to "leave the country, or else...".

I think it was explained that most places changing 1000 baht do so only to put customers off taking the girls out too early and this is halved after midnight or 1. And also an increase from 300 baht to 500 baht. Are we really talking about an increase of 200 baht when this is the cost of a drink ? Or a Tuk Tuk ride?

S

You've already lost the customer by midnight or 1. He is already out dancing with a freelancer in a nightclub, or back in the hotel room having "fun."

Who is going to sit around looking at the time, waiting for a particular girl, when there are so many available, at that very moment?

Edited by NamKangMan

Hmmmmm...........I heard that Eric got run out of town not long after the soi first opened. At the opening party, he claimed that he was "King of the soi".

This did not go down well with the officials that were guests at the opening party and he was told to "leave the country, or else...".

And let me guess, they kept his money and his bar. :) :)

" You've already lost the customer by midnight or 1. He is already out dancing with a freelancer in a nightclub, or back in the hotel room having "fun."

Who is going to sit around looking at the time, waiting for a particular girl, when there are so umany available, at that very moment?"

I'm guessing that a bar has more than one customer and that they come at different times. I'm also guessing that there is a relationship between the number of ladies (not the titled kind), and the number of customers (possibly the titled kind). So it seems clear that the less ladies (again not the titled kind) a bar has that the less customers they will also have. Also, I am pretty sure that the bar owner is more interested in selling drinks at 160/200 a go than taking part of a 500/1000 bar fine, and bearing in mind that once a bar fine is paid, the bar is down a ........let's say sales person, as it seems more appropriate. Especially if it's a "good" salesperson, with good selling....skills and assets.

But having said that NKM I'm not a bar owner and never have been so I'm only applying common sense. Are you a bar owner ? I'm interested if you are the voice of actual experience or like me, a bystander making assumptions.

S

Edited by SDM0712