AIS SIM in Kuala Lumpur

Cam Khao

Not unless you already have it registered for international roaming which is typically expensive, it's probably not worth it.

If you are only in KL for a short spell, you can buy a Maxis SIM from their booth between the escalators going down to Immigration and the actual Immigration desks at KUL airport. I do this frequently (since the numbers expire if not active or topped-up after 90-days). There's also a Digi booth but in my experience, Maxis service has been better. I find that the SIM is usually fully registered and working some time during the trip into town on the Ekspres train.

Not sure if there's booths at the LCCT but there's a Maxis shop in the north-end of the KLIA (under the twin-towers) and you can buy a SIM tehre but they need your passport, same as the airport.

Edited by NanLaew

I was there twice in the last year and didn't have to activate anything (although I had previously enabled international roaming so that may be necessary for you). You will have to enable roaming in your phone settings, and you will have a HUGE bill unless you only enable data when you want to use it. You can also purchase plans for short term usage in other countries, why not just call AIS, they have very helpful and competent English speaking service reps

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Are you pre-paid? Post-paid? Have you switched to the new AIS 2100 MHz 3G subsidiary? (AWN).

You can register for/enable IR via the eServices Android app, or the web-based platform, or call (1175) or email AIS ([email protected]).

http://www.ais.co.th/roaming/en/index.aspx

Should have everything re: voice and data. Start with your customer type, then get to Malaysia to see your options re: roaming partners.

Obviously your phone would need to support the requisite frequencies.

post-9615-0-09912500-1384355758_thumb.jp

So, maybe someone with AIS post-paid can give some insight on what they need to open a post-paid account?

I am pretty sure the usual rigmarole re- WP's or Thai spouses or tibian bahns will all be part of the preamble but it would be interesting if someone like myself, a +8 year AIS prepaid user (and Serenade Gold status) can easily convert to post-paid and not have to worry about tops ups and the like. Then, like the OP, I could have more flexibility on overseas data roaming if and when it is needed.

I have enough expired Malaysian and Vietnamese SIMS already.

^ Good stuff that lomatopo posted at the same time as I did. Great advice and info as usual sir!

Edited by NanLaew

Just to clear up any lingering confusion, any/all AIS customers can roam internationally for voice and data; this includes pre-paid, post-paid, AIS, One-2-Call, AIS 3G.

There is no need to be a post-paid contract customer, or have a WP. For pre-paid customers you may have have to have a certain minimum balance, and you would obviously have to sign up for, and pre-pay for any regional data roaming package.

This assumes that AIS have roaming partners in the target countries, and that your phone supports those partner's operating frequencies.

So to answer the OP's original questions: Yes, and Yes.

In the past AIS have been the most strict re: requirements for foreigners signing up as a post-paid customer, requiring a WP, while DTAC and TrueMove (H) have been less strict, only requiring a credit card for guaranteeing payment. I haven't stayed up to date on this issue so maybe ebst to check with the service provider to see what their current requirements are re: post-paid.

Before you leave Thailand turn off data roaming. When you arrrive in KL dial *111# and you will receive some sms's about the datapacks available. They have 1,3 or 5 day unlimited 3G at THB350, 950, 1400. Sign up to whichever you want and then select Maxis as your provider, turn data roaming back on.