Advice needed

chappie1207

Hi all, need some serious advice for this one so please no trolling.

My American friend has bought a town-house through his company here, the house required renovation work totalling almost 1m baht. He was recommended a contractor that provided references etc which all turned out to be legit and they drafted a contract breaking the payments down into milestone deliverables.

He paid the initial first stage payment and work got under way and was completed on time, the second payment was paid and then the trouble started. The contractor said his team had to go finish another job and would be back after one week. The contractor is now not answering calls and it has been 3 weeks.

What can legally be done?

Please only give serious advice.

Thanks

Is the time frame set out only verbally, or in the contract?

Typical with contractors everywhere. Run low with cash flow, move on to another job for a payment, so workers can be paid. Back and forth, back and forth. Not worth lawyering up if there is a cash flow problem, he'll likely completely disappear.

I'd contact some of the folks who gave "great" references, and ask them to (obliquely) talk to the guy. Face might bring him back to the job site for a short while.

In the meantime, I'd be looking for backup.

I built houses on the side for years, and paid for materials, plus a percentage, upon completion of stages. Never draws against future work.

EDIT: I assumed that at least some of the referrers were Thai. When a Thai recommends someone, they take it very seriously, losing face if the person recommended screws up.

Thanks I will pass on the advice. The time frame, costs etc is set in a signed contract, but my friend does not want to go down the legal road as he does not think it will achieve anything and will only cost him more money. I know he has started looking for another contractor but he is thinking of throwing in the towel. If you know any good reliable people please can you let me know. cheers

Edited by chappie1207

From my own personal experience, I had exactly the same situation, I even had penalties for running late etc. All signed and agreed. At the end of the day it means nothing! I ended up going to the lawyer who told me "forget it, walk away,the guy has nothing, you cant get something from nothing, besides as a ferang you dont know who he knows or what his relatives will do if you make a serious problem for him, you wont sleep at night in that property, forget him, move on, dont throw more money and alot of time, get another builder to finish the work.

Yes that is exactly what my friend has also been told by a few people. Such a sad country that does not regulate this industry and even if it did would it do any good?!?!

The situation sounds normal for Thailand. Having had several house built in the Bangkok area by reputable contractors, I found that they work the job that is closest to the money. However, they always completed the final work within the contract period. On several occasions when the milestone was not met, we negotiated compensation (usually in trade of some kind.) I never make a milestone payment if the work is not complete though, since they will consider payment as acceptance of the milestone as is. Your friend needs patience with control of the money.

• Like 1

Done a lot of different work here, some clubs, condos and houses. Rarely does a job start and finish with the same builder.

One builder here I know is a nice guy and knows what he is doing, done dozens of condo fitouts for a developer invester friend, but hopeless on his cash flow so always has a string of people chasing him to finsih jobs. Since he has most of the money and maybe some problems with the job he does not go back.

Last couple of years okay as my brother in law is a good builder. If he wants a builder to finish it I can get him down. He is currently in Bung Kan and just asked me re work as he has just finished the job he had there. Great guy and will finish the job. He will bring a team with him, he has done all types of work in Pattaya condos houses and bar fitouts.

msge me to discuss is interested

• Like 1

Too late for your friend, but hopefully anyone else reading this thread will follow the very good advice often proffered on T V- NEVER buy property in Thailand, unless so rich you can walk away from it.

I disagree. I just got a mortgage and certainly can't afford to walk away. I'd never build one myself though.

you dont know who he knows or what his relatives will do if you make a serious problem for him, you wont sleep at night in that property

LOS? Is Thailand really as bad as TV suggests it is / might be?

...Boys in brown...

Who are these then? A quick google didn't enlighten me.

Organised criminals.... AKA the police (who wear tight brown uniforms).

Too late for your friend, but hopefully anyone else reading this thread will follow the very good advice often proffered on T V- NEVER buy property in Thailand, unless so rich you can walk away from it.

I disagree. I just got a mortgage and certainly can't afford to walk away. I'd never build one myself though.

So what are you gonna do when an all night karaoke bar starts up next door ( or any of the other problems that have been discussed many many times on this very forum )?

When selecting a contractor, always visit their office and some of their clients that have completed construction before signing any contract. If the contractor does not offer a copy of their ID and business registration during your visit, walk away. As for the three weeks with no work, be patient and look to the final completion date in the contract. If the delay will prevent final completion as scheduled, leave a message stating your concerns. Then follow up with a written notice of default from an attorney if you get no response. Just remember the Thai justice system will expect you to do everything in your power to resolve the issue before you seek legal action.

• Like 1

From my own personal experience, I had exactly the same situation, I even had penalties for running late etc. All signed and agreed. At the end of the day it means nothing! I ended up going to the lawyer who told me "forget it, walk away,the guy has nothing, you cant get something from nothing, besides as a ferang you dont know who he knows or what his relatives will do if you make a serious problem for him, you wont sleep at night in that property, forget him, move on, dont throw more money and alot of time, get another builder to finish the work.

Yes that is exactly what my friend has also been told by a few people. Such a sad country that does not regulate this industry and even if it did would it do any good?!?!

No, it wouldn't. Not when face and racism are deeply involved.

Nothing to do with racism.

Stop the drinking and the paranoia will soon disappear.

The mobaan I live in had some damages to the entrance of the area, due severe weather earlier this year, and a contractor was hired.

Same story. He moved on to do some other jobs as well, and promise to return in a few weeks or months to finish the job.

We are only 3 foreigners in this mobaan.

It has to do with opportunism.

The mobaan I live in had some damages to the entrance of the area, due severe weather earlier this year, and a contractor was hired.

Same story. He moved on to do some other jobs as well, and promise to return in a few weeks or months to finish the job.

No need for personal insults.

The conversation you commented on was regarding fixing the problem, not why it happened.

And there is a very big world outside your moo ban.

No need for personal insults.

The conversation you commented on was regarding fixing the problem, not why it happened.

And there is a very big world outside your moo ban.

I apologize for insults.

However, it has nothing to do with racism.

Opportunistic Thais are also cheating other Thais.

To OP:

If it only costs 10-15 000 baht, then engage a Lawyer.

You might not anything back, but at least the contractor will be aware.

• Like 1

I apologize for insults.

To OP:

Thanks.

Yeah, Thai on Thai is common, as the GF bears witness to almost weekly of neighborhood doings.

But racism exists everywhere, and Thais have not made as much progress in that area as the west. While many don't practice it to any practical degree, the odds in most legal battles here are stacked against "farangs" from the get-go.

And being a westerner, the OP's buddy will definitely take a backseat to any disgruntled Thai customers.

I apologize for insults.

To OP:

Thanks.

Yeah, Thai on Thai is common, as the GF bears witness to almost weekly of neighborhood doings.

But racism exists everywhere, and Thais have not made as much progress in that area as the west. While many don't practice it to any practical degree, the odds in most legal battles here are stacked against "farangs" from the get-go.

And being a westerner, the OP's buddy will definitely take a backseat to any disgruntled Thai customers.

For a local scoundrel it is "manna from heaven" when foreigners who is used to other ways to deal, comes along.

If OP wants to follow up, and if he has more recourses than the local guy, and might use the good old greed to his advantage (bribe BiB for higher priority, etc).

But sadly, as we all probably agree upon, it will be difficult to get money back.

Do not go any where just be patient it will be done by your old contractor he will finish the job as i faced the same situation and waited 4 weeks and it was completed finally just be patient no lawyer or no Tamluat (police ) have patience

Since your buddy doesn't seem to have any viable options, worth a try?

you dont know who he knows or what his relatives will do if you make a serious problem for him, you wont sleep at night in that property

LOS? Is Thailand really as bad as TV suggests it is / might be?

...Boys in brown...

Who are these then? A quick google didn't enlighten me.

Organised criminals.... AKA the police (who wear tight brown uniforms).

True, there are some corrupt police, as there are in every country. I've met some very honest ones, but I don't know nor have I met them all.

I have not done indepth rsearch or studied a reputable paper on crimes commited by or the corruption of the Royal Thai Police. Therefore, I am not qualified to make a generalized statement about the police criminality/organization factor. If I did so, it would at best, be speculation and heresay.