Suvarnabhumi pushed as logistic hub of ASEAN

webfact

Suvarnabhumi pushed as logistic hub of ASEAN

PNECO561115001000601_15112013_020252.jpg

BANGKOK, 15 November 2013 (NNT) – The Transport Ministry is keen on pushing Suvarnabhumi Airport to be ASEAN's product distribution center.

Minister for Transport Chadchart Sittipunt revealed after a meeting on air transport strategies that the ministry was determined to build more cargo warehouses in Suvarnabhumi in order for the airport to be capable of distributing up to 3 million tons of products each year; up from the 1.7 million tons at present.

As the volume of products waiting to be delivered seems to be increasing, it is a must that Suvarnabhumi expand its warehouses, Minister Chadchart said.

In the first phase of the expansion project, the minister expects the airport to handle 2.4 million tons of cargo a year, adding that it will take 2-3 years for the airport to reach the target of 3 million tons.

Lastly, the Transport Minister said the move could make Suvarnabhumi the center for production distribution in the ASEAN region.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-11-15 footer_n.gif

Will they ever give up with this "hub" malarky? Maybe, in a bored moment, we could start a topic (pinned would be nice) with every hub announced. We could then (in even more bored moments) do some serious economical and commercial analysis to see whether ANY have become a reality.

Then again we could just assume that they haven't and we'll probably be close enough not to waste our lives thinking about it. GOD I NEED A LIFE....FRIDAY NIGHT AND THIS IS IT (good thing I'm a Dad and I have an excuse).

First they should look, that they not loose so much post. No joking, 50% of the letters send to me from Europe and USA going lost between the Airport and Bangkok Central Post. No problem about packets, but letters...sad.png

You must have missed the Thai post announcement, they want to be the Asean HUB of lost letters

Isn't this the same airport, which is currently supposedly unable to handle its existing traffic, thus several million passengers per-annum had to be moved across to Don Muang ?

Yet it suddenly has spare-capacity for lots more cargo-flights ? wink.png

By all means expand cargo capacity there, but expecting it to cope as "the center for production distribution in the ASEAN region" may be just a slight stretch !

Still, he did say "could", not "will". facepalm.gif

I think the capacity issue is with passengers through the terminal, not flights in and out of the airport.

Isn't this the same airport, which is currently supposedly unable to handle its existing traffic, thus several million passengers per-annum had to be moved across to Don Muang ?

Yet it suddenly has spare-capacity for lots more cargo-flights ? wink.png

By all means expand cargo capacity there, but expecting it to cope as "the center for production distribution in the ASEAN region" may be just a slight stretch !

Still, he did say "could", not "will". facepalm.gif

I think the capacity issue is with passengers through the terminal, not flights in and out of the airport.

I understand where you're coming from, but surely the alleged current-construction of a third-runway suggests that runway-capacity is also a factor, look at the mess whenever they need to do maintenance on one of the two existing runways, due to cracks or an aircraft slewing off the runway.