Thai Tourist Police involved with ATM skimming gang sacked

webfact

As I recall these idiots got busted because they were standing in front of an ATM when they dropped a handful of ATM cards on the floor as they were trying to get a cash withdrawal and someone reported it to the police. If that is the case there was little investigative effort by the police but rather these idiots did themselves in by being stupid. Had they not been so inept they would still be hitting the ATMs.

I wonder who gets left holding the bag for these unauthorized withdrawals. I seem to recall reading one of the bank supervisors saying that anyone who got scammed would be reimbursed by the bank but I wonder if that is the case. I had an unauthorized charge on a POS transaction and it took 3 weeks, numerous phone calls to the bank and several hours of my time before I was credited with a refund. Luckily, it wasn't that much so had it not been refunded I would have chalked it up as a lesson learned but consumer protection is not as good as it is in the West.

• Like 1

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since so many of the scams involving ATMs and internet rip-offs are committed by Russians and Nigerians, I think the Thai government should consider a special 500 baht fee for travellers arriving from Russia and Nigeria to help offset the cost of arresting them and housing them in a Thai jail. This 500 baht fund would fit nicely with the 500 baht medical expense fee they are proposing.

As well as with 500 baht fee to Britons, German and Americans whose citizens committed in most pedophilia cases in Thailand.

Do you have facts to back this up? Links please?

Or just another silly remark aimed at nationalities other than your own?

After the arrest of Christopher Neil (a Canadian) the Thai authorities, with help from other countries, began an intensive online manhunt for pedo's (which continues to this day). On the list were the following:

50 Western suspects identified by international authorities, many of whom are German citizens. As well as , British, Italians, Finnish, Australians and Americans. To all those "I hate Thai" subscribers....yes there are many homegrown pedophiles as well.

• Like 1

Notice in the photo how not one of the police is pointing a finger! And they are all looking away, sort of like "No, mom, I didn't get any of those cookies out of the jar. It was Jimmy!" Picture worth thousands of words

I have to ask what planet are you from, police officers worldwide are involved in crime in all shapes and sizes. We had one cop in our city killed a couple of people and robbed banks in his off duty time.

Oh here we go. I'm willing to bet your cop was splashed all over the news and did jail time, am I right? not really apples for apples is it?

A lot of cynicism in the comments. I am guilty more often than not alos. But lets give some credit where credit is due. There have been a number of crackdowns and arrests of late. Just maybe, Thailand is starting to wake up. Things will never happen overnight in any country. Hopefully, this is the start of a legitimate crackdown on crooked police, who in my opinion should go to jail for double the normal sentence (they are supposed to be honest and trusted). Certainly make some Thais think twice before joing the police force.

Police officer sacked for helping Russian duo

The Nation30220087-01_big.jpg?1384902886669BANGKOK: -- Tourist Police Division chief Maj-General Apichai Theamart said yesterday that Senior Sgt-Major Nonthapan Saengsuk, 37, had been sacked for allegedly helping two Russian criminals, who are believed to have used fake debit and credit cards to withdraw money. He said a disciplinary probe has also been launched to investigate the officer's superiors.

Nonthapan was arrested in Nakhon Ratchasima along with Russian suspects Vasily Ivanoff, 27, and Serge Peterneff, 38, for allegedly conspiring to use fake credit and debit cards to withdraw more than Bt2.9 million from ATM machines across the provincial capital.

The suspects also had in possession more than Bt2.9 million in cash that they had allegedly withdrawn over the past week as well as 328 counterfeit ATM cards.

A subsequent search of the Russian suspects' hotel rooms in Bangkok also turned up more than Bt1.5 million in cash, 31 fake credit cards and evidence suggesting that Ivanoff may have withdrawn about Bt65 million since arriving in Thailand.

Meanwhile, Nakhon Ratchasima police have launched a manhunt for more accomplices - possibly foreigners.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-11-20

I think you will find that this picture is of the drug gang the police started deporting yesterday. The guy in the yellow hoodie was the apparent american mastermind as pictured in yesterdays paper anyway.

I cant see the problem. I think the officer should be commended for doing his duty and assisting two foreign tourists in using a Thai atm. Why he even supplied a car to drive them around. Now Thats service!

I'm lost trying to find substance in this post.

Since so many of the scams involving ATMs and internet rip-offs are committed by Russians and Nigerians, I think the Thai government should consider a special 500 baht fee for travellers arriving from Russia and Nigeria to help offset the cost of arresting them and housing them in a Thai jail. This 500 baht fund would fit nicely with the 500 baht medical expense fee they are proposing.

As well as with 500 baht fee to Britons, German and Americans whose citizens committed in most pedophilia cases in Thailand.

Please provide the data to support your post. Otherwise, it may be filed in a box labeled "Bigotry".

"Hate says a lot about a persons sadness with themselves".

Edited by Benmart

So, in the police rank and file, no one is guilty until they are caught, and until they are caught, no one keeps their eyes out for the protection of citizens and foreigners alike until those whom we should trust and put our faith in rise to such stupidity as to get caught?

Translated: don't trust any copper. Period!

• Like 1

the idiots in the banks in Thailand need to update the system its archaic to say the least. If you a farang use your foreign atm card you can only withdraw between 8,000 and 10,000 baht at a charge of 150 baht per transaction which is another excuse to rip us off. Because I'm in Thailand my bank will only allow me to withdraw €200 their reason for doing this the say its because the banks in Thailand refuse to convert or replace the machines with the new chip and pin system making it harder ti skim.

i am pretty sure that the foreign bank will be glad to learn that the main culprit, a police officer, is actually walking free

and ready to skim again...

Bender, I object to your use of the term "police officer" to describe the culprit. I object because in the English language, police officer implies a person that can be trusted, has morals and ethics, and will aid you in times of need.

Much better to refer to him as a BIB or a member of the RTP - that leaves no room for misinterpretation. smile.png

I have to ask what planet are you from, police officers worldwide are involved in crime in all shapes and sizes. We had one cop in our city killed a couple of people and robbed banks in his off duty time.

Yeah sorry about that. I come from Planet New Zealand. The police don't carry weapons, corruption is virtually unheard of, the police are the good guys, and I would trust any one of them with my life or the lives of my children. I guess unless you're a Kiwi, this might be a bit hard to understand.

Don't bother scooting off to google corruption in NZ Police, I know you will find some. But NZ is recognised as the least corrupt country in the world, so it follows that the NZ Police force is therefore the least corrupt in the world.

Edit: source http://www.transparency.org/country#NZL

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Like 1

Police officer sacked for helping Russian duo

The Nation

30220087-01_big.jpg?1384902886669

BANGKOK: -- Tourist Police Division chief Maj-General Apichai Theamart said yesterday that Senior Sgt-Major Nonthapan Saengsuk, 37, had been sacked for allegedly helping two Russian criminals, who are believed to have used fake debit and credit cards to withdraw money. He said a disciplinary probe has also been launched to investigate the officer's superiors.

Nonthapan was arrested in Nakhon Ratchasima along with Russian suspects Vasily Ivanoff, 27, and Serge Peterneff, 38, for allegedly conspiring to use fake credit and debit cards to withdraw more than Bt2.9 million from ATM machines across the provincial capital.

The suspects also had in possession more than Bt2.9 million in cash that they had allegedly withdrawn over the past week as well as 328 counterfeit ATM cards.

A subsequent search of the Russian suspects' hotel rooms in Bangkok also turned up more than Bt1.5 million in cash, 31 fake credit cards and evidence suggesting that Ivanoff may have withdrawn about Bt65 million since arriving in Thailand.

Meanwhile, Nakhon Ratchasima police have launched a manhunt for more accomplices - possibly foreigners.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-11-20

" Sacked " !! He should be in jail and left there for a long time. Now that would be good for tourism.

What do you expect, "naive" sir? This is Thailand. The laws, as they apply to foreigners, is totally different for Thais. That Thai cop was an accomplice, both before and after the fact, and therefore equally culpable. His punishment was getting sacked, not for being an accomplice, but for being stupid enough to get caught.

If there are other Thai cops involved, then they are now "forewarned" to cover their tracks.

What I find so mind boggling is that you "farang" chaps post comments on this site, as if you are "surprised" about the inequities of the Thai judicial system, over and over, and over, and over again, into perpetuity. It will NOT change. This is a reality check whistling.gif

• Like 1