Help. Refused non immigrant "O" visa.

For the last 5 years I've applied to the Thai consulate in Hull for a Non immigrant "O" Visa which thay have issued. This week they have informed me that the Thai Embassy will not issue me that Visa and they have invited me to apply for Retirement Visa.

I asked why and they would not give me an answer. All they would say is that the applications all have to go throught the Thai Embassy in London and it is their decision.

So I am left with little choice but to apply for the Retirement Visa. Looking at the requirements from the Embassy web site I note that I need to get my Criminal Record, showing I have no record, from Scotland Yard and my Medical Record both signed by a Notary Public or competent Authority.

This sounds like a nightmare. Can I just ring up the police and ask for my record? How does this work? Same for the medical record. And how much will the Police/Doctor/Public Notary charge for all of this?

I cant beleive this has happened. Any help will be much appreciated.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm British and over 50, my age is 62, and I could show sufficient funds in my Bank Account

in canada, if they require a non type O-A in that case if you dont have a thai spouse. maybe that is becoming the norm.

correction: Vancouver Consulate requires an O-A. not sure about other offices in canada

Edited by AYJAYDEE

There's one thing you need from the UK: a boarding pass to get on the plane. Some airlines at some airports are more conscientious in checking than others and they can deny you boarding if you have no visa and no onward flight ticket out of Thailand within 30 days. Some members have reported it happening to them.

• Like 1

My return ticket is out in December and back in May. I know for sure at London Heathrow the airline will not let me board if I can't show them a valid Visa. I suppose the check in girl might not notice but I can't afford to gamble the cost of the airfare and a buggered up trip.

As a Brit, don't you get visa on arrival in Thailand? I'd check with the airline. Some of them hand out those forms on the plane. I can't speak for the UK, but in the US we use many of the same airlines, and I never need anything other than a passport and a ticket.

Technically if you want to split hairs, a visa on arrival isn't a visa but it's permission to enter as a tourist. Then within a couple of days I go to Thai immigration and convert to a 90 day O. If I had any problems, I'd do a border run just before the 90 days, get a 30 day visa and then go to immigration and get a 60 day extension. That would give me 180 days to get things sorted. (Shhhhh. It can probably be done more times than once.)

Edit. As others have stated, at most just get a tourist visa in the UK and sort out the O and the extension in Thailand. If nothing else the details are easier in Thailand. The medical is a joke and cheap, for instance.

Edited by NeverSure

It's not a visa on arrival, it's a visa exemption. It requires an out-bound ticket within 30 days, so could be a problem checking in.

best to get some kind of visa, then sort everything else out once in Thailand.

You're right. I forgot!!! I did once have to buy a cheap throw away ticket to Cambodia to board. Fortunately I checked in early enough.

Thanks! Most times I've gotten away with it, but I got bit once.

An option IS a cheap throw away onward ticket.

• Like 1

My wife and I had the same problem yesterday so will go down O-A route. I am 59 and my wife is 61.

I was told that the only people that can get an O visa for purpose of retirement must be over 65 and be in receipt of a pension and 3 months of bank statements showing that this is the case also the £18k in the bank will do .

The Embassy in London provides a very good information service though you might have to wait for 20 mins on the phone the phone line is only open 1400 hrs 1700hrs

Police check Police clearance from ACRO

Cost £92 for 2 day turn round or £19 for 10 day turn round inc postage.

Medical approx £120

Notarisation of documents inc bank statements approx £150

(: 00441962871111 (International)

(: 08456013999 (Ext. 460)
.: ACRO, PO BOX 481, Fareham, PO14 9FS

The best solution is to apply for a single entry non-o based on being 50 or over. This visa does not need embassy approval. Then after entering Thailand apply for for an extension during the last 30 days (or after money is in bank 60 days) of your 90 day entry.

If Hull will not do it there are other honorary consulates that will.

• Like 1

My wife and I had the same problem yesterday  so will  go down O-A route. I am 59 and my wife is 61.

I was told that  the only people  that can get an O visa for purpose of retirement must be over 65 and be in receipt of a pension and 3 months of bank statements showing that this is the case also the £18k in the bank will do  .

The Embassy in London provides a very good information service though you might have to wait for 20 mins on the phone the phone line is only open 1400 hrs 1700hrs

Police check  Police clearance from ACRO

Medical approx £120

Notarisation  of documents inc bank statements approx  £150

(: 00441962871111 (International)  

(: 08456013999 (Ext. 460)

*: customer.services@acro.pnn.police.uk

.: ACRO, PO BOX 481, Fareham, PO14 9FS

Web: http://www.acpo.police.uk

Is your wife also going to be able to qualify for the OA visa by providing her own financial proof? If not she will only get a multiple entry non-o visa and will have to leave the country every 90 days. Immigration will not grant a dependent extension for a OA visa entry.

It's not a visa on arrival, it's a visa exemption. It requires an out-bound ticket within 30 days, so could be a problem checking in.

You're right. I forgot!!! I did once have to buy a cheap throw away ticket to Cambodia to board. Fortunately I checked in early enough.

What airline in the US did that happen on?

My wife and I had the same problem yesterday so will go down O-A route. I am 59 and my wife is 61.

I was told that the only people that can get an O visa for purpose of retirement must be over 65 and be in receipt of a pension and 3 months of bank statements showing that this is the case also the £18k in the bank will do .

Police check Police clearance from ACRO

Medical approx £120

Notarisation of documents inc bank statements approx £150

(: 00441962871111 (International)

(: 08456013999 (Ext. 460)
.: ACRO, PO BOX 481, Fareham, PO14 9FS

I do not know if the same criteria for medical reports is used in the UK as in Australia. In Australia medical reports are charged for unless provided at the same time as you consult the doctor on a medical problem. You did eat something dodgy the day before didn't you?

The best solution is to apply for a single entry non-o based on being 50 or over. This visa does not need embassy approval. Then after entering Thailand apply for for an extension during the last 30 days (or after money is in bank 60 days) of your 90 day entry.

So British Consulates offer a Non-O to guys even though they dont have family to visit? It seems Vancouver wont do that. interesting how its so varied around the world.

So British Consulates offer  a Non-O to guys even though they dont have family to visit? It seems Vancouver wont do that. interesting how its so varied around the world.
That is because Vancouver is an official Thai consulate and will only do OA visas. A honorary Thai consulate will do them.

So British Consulates offer a Non-O to guys even though they dont have family to visit? It seems Vancouver wont do that. interesting how its so varied around the world.
That is because Vancouver is an official Thai consulate and will only do OA visas. A honorary Thai consulate will do them.

but vancouver will do them if u have family

Edited by AYJAYDEE

What airline in the US did that happen on?

I don't remember. It was only once and it was at LAX. I live in the middle of the W Coast, and have to catch a feeder flight to LAX, SEA, SFO and rarely PDX. It was a few years ago and I had forgotten it until just now.

Of course they may but but not all official consulates or embassies will do a multiple entry visa based upon marriage to a Thai. A single entry yes.

for the life of me I cant understand why an honourary will do something an official or embassy wont!~!??

Quote: but vancouver will do them if u have family.
Quote: So British Consulates offer a Non-O to guys even though they dont have family to visit? It seems Vancouver wont do that. interesting how its so varied around the world.

Quote: That is because Vancouver is an official Thai consulate and will only do OA visas. A honorary Thai consulate will do them.

This is why it's so nice to just show up and go for the O and all else in Thailand. thumbsup.gif

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

Want to make it easy? Show up in Thailand with a visa on arrival.

Go immediately to Thai immigration and convert that to an O visa. That's good for 90 days.

Talk to them about what they'll need for the extension of stay for one year for retirement. The medical is easier in Thailand by far and anything else they want is easier and cheaper in Thailand.

Once you have your O, open a bank account and deposit the 800k baht.

After you've had the O for 60 days, go to immigration again and get your extension of stay. Consider whether you want a multi-entry with that. If you do it's 3800 baht. Then you can come and go from Thailand as you please.

It really is just that easy. You don't need anything from the UK, and I'm getting the impression that Hull, which is a private business contracting with the real embassy, often gives out wrong information. People from the UK can set me straight on that if needed.

To convert to the Non-O from a tourist visa you need the same proof as when you apply for the extension of stay.

• Like 1

Go immediately to Thai immigration and convert that to an O visa. That's good for 90 days.

Talk to them about what they'll need for the extension of stay for one year for retirement. The medical is easier in Thailand by far and anything else they want is easier and cheaper in Thailand.

After you've had the O for 60 days, go to immigration again and get your extension of stay. Consider whether you want a multi-entry with that. If you do it's 3800 baht. Then you can come and go from Thailand as you please.

It really is just that easy. You don't need anything from the UK, and I'm getting the impression that Hull, which is a private business contracting with the real embassy, often gives out wrong information. People from the UK can set me straight on that if needed.

To convert to the Non-O from a tourist visa you need the same proof as when you apply for the extension of stay.
Also it will not be a non-o visa. It will be a non immigrant visa entry based upon meeting the requirements for an extension stay.

For marriage it is much better to get a single entry non-o visa before traveling because about the only location you can do the conversion is in Bangkok.

Of course they may but but not all official consulates or embassies will do a multiple entry visa based upon marriage to a Thai. A single entry yes.

for the life of me I cant understand why an honourary will do something an official or embassy wont!~!??
For being 50 or over it would be because honorary consulates can't do the OA so they do the non-o's.

The biggest reason is that embassy and official consulates are staffed with and controlled by Thai government bureaucrats that often make their own rules.

Whereas the honorary consulates are not and thusly are more likely to be more flexible with their interpretation of the rules.

• Like 2

That may be, but I don't believe there's a 60 day seasoning period for the money that first time when done that way. I did mine on income and I had proof, and got a letter from the embassy in Bangkok.