Russian tourism group threatens Thailand boycott

webfact

Russian Tourism Group Threatens Thailand Boycott

You don't normally open up Thaivisa.com expecting to find good news, but, my goodness.. Jackpot this morning! rolleyes.gif

Now all we need is for them to actually do it ... with the Chinese hopefully following suit.

David

• Like 2

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First the Chinese and now the Russians are turning on the TAT, but don't worry tourist number will still be up this year.

Of course numbers will continue to climb through the roof. In another thread TAT are bracing themselves for the Boom in American tourists who will more than fill the void that may be left by the chinese and Russians.

The picture here appears to show a Pegas bus, of which there are quite a lot.

Can the Pegas company (whose MD is Russian I believe), not preselect and control and train the drivers they are using?

Most seem to arrive with a bottle of Lipo and a pair of running shoes.

• Like 2

Well, it's actually naive think that Thailand may improve it's road safety because of threats from tourists or tour groups.

I expect the best that Thailand could do would be to pass laws that require higher standards on tour buses that carry tourists, that would do nothing for driving standards in general. Next they could require all tourists to ONLY travel in special buses that adhere to these higher standards, which will mean a fragmentation of pricing and result in higher prices for bus tickets for foreigners compared to Thais.. but with the (possibly illusion, possibly real) benefit of better safety.

Laws are already in place. Enforcement is the problem. Which is lacking mainly due to police corruption.

• Like 1

Well, it's actually naive think that Thailand may improve it's road safety because of threats from tourists or tour groups.

I expect the best that Thailand could do would be to pass laws that require higher standards on tour buses that carry tourists, that would do nothing for driving standards in general. Next they could require all tourists to ONLY travel in special buses that adhere to these higher standards, which will mean a fragmentation of pricing and result in higher prices for bus tickets for foreigners compared to Thais.. but with the (possibly illusion, possibly real) benefit of better safety.

Why pass more laws? There are enough laws in Thailand. The issue is ENFORCEMENT of said laws.

• Like 1

Good, stay away. Too many dubious Russians here already.

So you prefer others to continue to be killed by reckless driving and lack of rules ?

You're right, maybe we should weigh pros and cons before making blanket statements like that over such a serious matter............Good recommendation is equipping buses with soundproof stalls for drivers, so they stop jumping off.

Can the Pegas company (whose MD is Russian I believe), not preselect and control and train the drivers they are using?

Another Pegas bus accident in Phuket yesterday, by Boat Lagoon. All the Russians in the median of the highway, astounded by it all. Just a rear end, but still, hell of a welcome to Thailand. The Pegas md is Turkish.

• Like 1

Another Pegas bus accident in Phuket yesterday, by Boat Lagoon. All the Russians in the median of the highway, astounded by it all. Just a rear end, but still, hell of a welcome to Thailand. The Pegas md is Turkish.

Thanks for the correction..... I just knew it wasn't a Thai name...:D

Plenty of them in Pattaya and for other road users they are a hazard.

That's ripe...Russians complaining about safety! I guess they prefer it when they drink themselves silly and cause the accidents.

yeah you right , aussies , brits and other nationalities dont drink and drive ..... where are you from by the way ?

The OP is about Russians and their safety stay on subject

The RUTI also reportedly demanded the Thai government to solve these issues within the end of November, otherwise it will consider responses necessary to maintain the safety of Russian citizens by canceling all scheduled charter flights from Russia throughout the period of December 2013 - March 2014.

Have they considered how the Thai government gonna solve a serious issue like this within the next 2 weeks.

I guess we may expect a statement from the Thai government soon, similar to the one they made some time ago, that Russian and other tourists have to adjust to Thai road behavior.

Case closed.

Oh, I forgot, they can announce a crack down, we haven't had that in the last 2 days.

So, where is Mr. I-fix-it-in-90-days when they really need him?

Jimmy Saville is dead and buried (thankfully) or he would have fixed it (inbetween his kidy fiddling of course)

Laws are already in place. Enforcement is the problem. Which is lacking mainly due to police corruption.

Which is lacking enough police to enforce the laws. I have ridden my bike all over Thailand the only place I have seen a Thai cop patrolling the highway is between lamphang and Lamphun

Seems they'll be going elsewhere then. There's no way on earth Thailand would have even ONE driver retrained within two weeks let alone all of them ... in addition to roads resurfaced, maintenance conducted on every vehicle and a complete overhaul of road safety & regulations.

Mind, that probably won't stop the ministry and TAT claiming in their return correspondence in a few days' time that it has been done and it's therefore safe for the Russians to continue coming.

I think they will want Russian drivers for their Russina buses and Russian tour guides.

• Like 1

First the Chinese and now the Russians are turning on the TAT, but don't worry tourist number will still be up this year.

Of course numbers will continue to climb through the roof. In another thread TAT are bracing themselves for the Boom in American tourists who will more than fill the void that may be left by the chinese and Russians.

By George, that sounds more like another well planned insurgency.

Thailand = 38.1 road fatalities per 100k inhabitants per year and 118.8 fatalities per 100k motor vehicles per year

Russia = 18.6 road fataities per 100k inhabitants per year and 55.4 fatalities per 100k motor vehicles per year They do have a point but in perspective the UK is 2.75 and 5.1 for the same numbers above.

But no more Russians? Oh dear, what a shame (spoken in the voice of Windsor Davies)

• Like 1

Good for the Russians!!!! Two snaps up and a circle! Drawing a line in the sand and all that. Whether the Thais do anything is out of their hands, but about time someone looked out for their countrymen who come here. Bravo!

• Like 2

Double good news.

1. Finally someone threatens Thailand financially. The only form of communication Thai officials and politicians understand.

2. The overturned tour bus is from the company Pegas, as are most of the other crashed busses full of russians. The way this company operates is a disgrace from driver level to management level, so no surprise to me at least, that they are almost always involved in trouble.

• Like 1

It does seem rather hypocritical that its Russian Tourism that's threatening with a boycott due to unsafe roads.

Russia would be in my Top Trumps pack for its unsafe driving conditions...

That said: Anyone or any Nation taking a stance and attempting to 'force' Thailand to care about its issues such as this is a good thing.

Thailand = 38.1 road fatalities per 100k inhabitants per year and 118.8 fatalities per 100k motor vehicles per year

Russia = 18.6 road fataities per 100k inhabitants per year and 55.4 fatalities per 100k motor vehicles per year

Seems it's twice as safe on the roads of Russia

• Like 1