i am ready to stop tipping

infinity11

I played some good courses like Lake View in Hua Hin, where I paid, reluctantly 300 baht. But the cost of the round was something like 3000 baht.

It irritates me when they expect more from a farang when, on the whole, the Thai golfers are much richer.

Lake View is a decent course. The whole caddy thing is one of contention. Some guys are so inept reading greens they can't get by without them. Some resent having to pay one. I like having someone run and fetch for me and OK you want to read greens but don't be hurt if I disagree, I've been playing a long time. I don't need a caddy.

It is OK to resent it. But since you don't stiff them it's cool.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't use a barber (cut my own hair - have done since I was 20 or so) - but when I take my kids to the hair dresser I tip the cutter (20 baht each). I tip in cafe's and restaurants - usually the shrapnel. I top taxis (although I rarely get them).

However, if you talk with serving staff (especially in bars) they often have to give the tips to the owners - I have had this even in farang owned places. One place I go to often, I do not tip there anymore as the farang owner pockets all the tips (and buy a member of staff a drink and there is a 20b surcharge which again goes to the owner) - though I have back handed them a tip once or twice on the premise they keep it themselves (can usually tell they do because it goes in a sock or something rather than the tip box).

If you tip a bar girl in pattaya (or elsewhere in thailand) she does not keep the tip???

No you get to take it home with you.

I don't use a barber (cut my own hair - have done since I was 20 or so) - but when I take my kids to the hair dresser I tip the cutter (20 baht each). I tip in cafe's and restaurants - usually the shrapnel. I top taxis (although I rarely get them).

However, if you talk with serving staff (especially in bars) they often have to give the tips to the owners - I have had this even in farang owned places. One place I go to often, I do not tip there anymore as the farang owner pockets all the tips (and buy a member of staff a drink and there is a 20b surcharge which again goes to the owner) - though I have back handed them a tip once or twice on the premise they keep it themselves (can usually tell they do because it goes in a sock or something rather than the tip box).

If you tip a bar girl in pattaya (or elsewhere in thailand) she does not keep the tip???

No idea - never been to Pattaya bar scene (just done the tourist places many moons ago), and I was talking of bar serving staff. Presumably though its more than the "tip:" you want to give them :P

Tip very little if at all. It's the foreigners that introduced tipping to Thailand. I never liked the practice myself. I do tip generously at my regular bar, because I am treated like family. I don't get any bigger face when I tip at restaurants, they always seem indifferent anyway. Up to you, if it makes you feel like a bigshot , more power to you.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That is really a value laden statement, "if it makes you feel like a bigshot." English guys think Japanese guys pay too much. Do you think Japanese guys want to feel like bigshots? No, of course not. They get a higher standard of service and it costs more. In life the rule of thumb is "you get what you pay for." There are whole countries that have not figured this simple fact out yet. Amazing.

Wow you really have a problem with the English don't you - your pathetic little story about the boy - now apparently you read every English persons mind with respect to their views on Japanese tips - <deleted>? We have enough bigots on the forum already!

Actually it was a typo or forgot to type. I meant to say English speaking and not English alone. Sorry.

Seriously if that is true i find it shocking and extremely unfair.

(I mean the bar girl who serves you a drink and pines over you but doesn't get to keep whatever you want to give her!!!)

My understanding is in agreeance with what a few other posters here have mentioned.

If you place the tip in the black folder or the bill basket, the tip goes to the owner who then may or maynot share part of that with the staff.

If, however, your place that tip in the girls hand, and she is discrete about it, she retains it.

EDITED to add ...

The Bar Girl gets paid a Salary to work that Bar, hence that's what part of the 'Bar Fine' goes to.

In addition, most likely she has a monthly quota of 'Lady Drinks' she must have acknowledged against her tab.

The few Bt those things cost to make and the 80 - 120 Bt that you get charged for it is as good as a tip.

That's my understanding of how the system works, but to be honest, it's been more then a few years since I've had a 'discussion' with one of NANA's finest ... rolleyes.gif

Edited by David48
  • Like 1

Seriously if that is true i find it shocking and extremely unfair.

(I mean the bar girl who serves you a drink and pines over you but doesn't get to keep whatever you want to give her!!!)

The b/g gets the tip you give her in most bars. In some cases she needs that to buy food when trade is slow.

In very many bars the tip you leave on paying the bill goes into a communal tub and is shared out between all the staff.

Keep your eye on where the money goes.

Tipping is something US introduced in Thailand. In Europe we never tip except in high class restaurants .

So I never tip more than 20 baht in Thailand.

Europeans started the practice of tipping in the 1700s. And they were the first visitors to Thailand… whistling.gif

Tipping is something US introduced in Thailand. In Europe we never tip except in high class restaurants .

Europeans started the practice of tipping in the 1700s. And they were the first visitors to Thailand… whistling.gif

1552 or around there I think.

18th of november.

18th of november.

What time?

A tip,gratuity,is to emphasise you appreciated any service you have received,as good as or better than expected.

It also should give the recipient as well as the giver a nice feeling.

Hence I tip many in the service industry,generally 10% of the total bill.

But will easily tip higher.If the service deserves it.

I always tip a room maid when staying in a Hotel,providing the room is serviced to my satisfaction,just leave the money on the bed.

My biggest tip in Thailand 700 Baht.

A tip,gratuity,is to emphasise you appreciated any service you have received,as good as or better than expected.

It also should give the recipient as well as the giver a nice feeling.

Hence I tip many in the service industry,generally 10% of the total bill.

But will easily tip higher.If the service deserves it.

I always tip a room maid when staying in a Hotel,providing the room is serviced to my satisfaction,just leave the money on the bed.

My biggest tip in Thailand 700 Baht.

In a country where tipping minimum 15% is the norm the service persons wages reflect that. So when you don't tip them 15% or more for regular service they feel they are being shorted. It would be like your employer shorting your paycheck. Not saying it's right but don't go back to the place that you didn't tip to eat.....

I have noticed a problem recently at 'farang' type places of staff just not returning small change like 10 baht, or overcharging for something weak like some ice in a glass with your beer.

Not too much of a problem for me anymore, I only go there when I am starved and no food carts around.

They need to kick these places out of Thailand, it gives the place a bad name and their food sucks.

Can't figure out why so many fat old geezers sit around these places all day and won't go to any of the local places or street food tables.

I have noticed a problem recently at 'farang' type places of staff just not returning small change like 10 baht, or overcharging for something weak like some ice in a glass with your beer.

Not too much of a problem for me anymore, I only go there when I am starved and no food carts around.

They need to kick these places out of Thailand, it gives the place a bad name and their food sucks.

Can't figure out why so many fat old geezers sit around these places all day and won't go to any of the local places or street food tables.

What places have the fat old geezers sitting around all day? The only people I see sitting in Starbucks or Mac's are Thai.

Tipping should not really even be an issue if you are looking to eat great Thai food. Either street eats or Thai places don't expect tips. It's not in the culture.

If you are going upscale or dating hi-so chicks you would be expected to fork out a tip I suppose, to keep up appearances.

If your going to 'farang' type places where the food sucks and you would never bring a date, then you should not be going there, period.

So you should not worry about tipping...

Tipping should not really even be an issue if you are looking to eat great Thai food. Either street eats or Thai places don't expect tips. It's not in the culture.

If you are going upscale or dating hi-so chicks you would be expected to fork out a tip I suppose, to keep up appearances.

If your going to 'farang' type places where the food sucks and you would never bring a date, then you should not be going there, period.

Nice to know you know where I should go but you didn't answer my question.

You wrote, "Can't figure out why so many fat old geezers sit around these places all day and won't go to any of the local places or street food tables."

Where is that?

You wrote, "Can't figure out why so many fat old geezers sit around these places all day and won't go to any of the local places or street food tables."

Where is that?

And why does he eat 'farang' type places where the food sucks? I always eat at farang type places with GOOD food. Guess he must be stopping in those 99 baht breakfast places and expects more. whistling.gif

Where is that?

And why does he eat 'farang' type places where the food sucks? I always eat at farang type places with GOOD food. Guess he must be stopping in those 99 baht breakfast places and expects more. whistling.gif

Like I said I only go there if there are no food stalls around. Can't you read?

Goto the corner or walk up the street. There will be people cooking there. Have a seat and order something. They even have english menus now. Understand???

Where is that?

Like I said I only go there if there are no food stalls around. Can't you read?

Goto the corner or walk up the street. There will be people cooking there. Have a seat and order something. They even have english menus now. Understand???

I understand. You are a troll. And not even a very talented one at that. Have you ever even BEEN to Thailand? tongue.png

The point of the thread, and this took me a long time to see, it is quite possible that tipping can be counter productive.

Of course it completely depends on the situation.

It took me a long time to realize that by tipping you may be increasing their expectation of tipping in the future.

It is also quite possible that a thai might not understand why you are tipping, something was exceptional and you want to reward that and you also want exceptional next time (the latter does NOT really fit in Thailand me thinks)