i am ready to stop tipping

infinity11

I rarely go places that look for tips.

I tip my regular golf caddy 100 baht but some in the past got nothing - long story. I'll tell you if you tell me why you're ready to stop tipping.

I was in The Royal Bangkok Sports club last month and wanted to give the very friendly and helpful waiter a 100 baht tip but my Thai friend stopped me and said to give him 50.

My brother was visiting us recently and gave the car park attendant 500 baht tip for looking after my car which had presents in it. I thought this was ridiculously high but he thought 10 quid was normal.

Many of us foreigners are still thinking in Western ways. I know one guy who gave all the staff in one restaurant 1000 baht each, all 8 of them. There's a fine line between generosity and stupidity.

I've met many who still don't know never to tip the dentist or the barber in Thailand.

My brother was visiting us recently and gave the car park attendant 500 baht tip for looking after my car which had presents in it. I thought this was ridiculously high but he thought 10 quid was normal.

Many of us foreigners are still thinking in Western ways. I know one guy who gave all the staff in one restaurant 1000 baht each, all 8 of them. There's a fine line between generosity and stupidity.

In my opinion; if I am satisfied with the service and I can afford the amount I will tip whatever I feel like - it does not matter what the 'standard' is.

This is not because I am stupid, but I like to reward someone and make him/her happy if they are genuine.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In small coffee shops or noodle shops always leave the coins, or whatever is there from change.

In restaurants it depends entirely on the food and service.

Hotel, the guy who carries my bags up gets 20 baht.

Taxi always get a tip, providing

1 they agree to take me

2 they use the meter

3 they dont go on a scenic tour, they go A to B.

Please explain why you tip at noodle shops and coffee shops.

Is it to make yourself feel good?

I tip my regular golf caddy 100 baht but some in the past got nothing - long story. I'll tell you if you tell me why you're ready to stop tipping.

I was in The Royal Bangkok Sports club last month and wanted to give the very friendly and helpful waiter a 100 baht tip but my Thai friend stopped me and said to give him 50.

I've met many who still don't know never to tip the dentist or the barber in Thailand.

i have met many who invent and are telling fairy tales like you. please tell us again the favourite story about the barber who told you that he was insulted by a big tip.

it's a boring saturday and we need some entertainment whistling.gif

• Like 1

In small coffee shops or noodle shops always leave the coins, or whatever is there from change.

1 they agree to take me

2 they use the meter

Some things we do in life do make one feel good, part of having a happy existence. smile.png

They bring you a warm bottle of beer, they stuff up your meal order, they're slow in getting you want you want, they won't turn the music down, they allow street hawkers onto the premises to pester you, they take ages to tally up your bin and they bring you the wrong change......

.....and then they smile nicely expecting a tip.....

hehehehe..... It's a funny world.

what about eating in a proper restaurant instead in a palm frond shaded shack?

• Like 1

i have met many who invent and are telling fairy tales like you. please tell us again the favourite story about the barber who told you that he was insulted by a big tip.

it's a boring saturday and we need some entertainment whistling.gif

Although we disagree on many topic, calling me a liar is out of line.

Typical internet warrior. You wouldn't call me a liar to my face more than once. I suspect you wouldn't even do it once.

I also leave the tipping to my wife.

Though I'm happy to tip between 500-1000 baht to the hotel maid for three weeks of cleaning and the same to the hotel restaurant staff. My wife accepts this.

I wear a night guard for bruxism and last week the maid threw it out. Always left it on the bathroom sink previously. Was £30 pounds to replace at Thai dentist and picked it up yesterday. I'm not going to bother claiming on travel insurance and now put it in toiletry bag out of the way. Was a little irked at first, particularly as I've had no night guard for the last week, but to the untrained eye it could be confused for rubbish, I suppose, and quite certain that it wasn't thrown out maliciously. I'll still leave a tip on departure in two weeks time.

Those who over-tip in Thailand, or indeed tip when they shouldn't, don't know how stupid they make themselves look... generosity does not come into it. Read up on the culture, esp' newbies from the US! wink.png

stupid are the poor boys who envy those who can afford to tip.
Interestingly, the real millionaires I know both Thai and foreign are not big tippers. They look at every opportunity to make/save money.

Also, they have no need or desire to post on every thread pertaining to financial matters about how much money they have. I feel sorry for the latter as even if they have enough financially, they are still insecure.

• Like 1

I just tip the same as my wife would (mostly).

But i do think Thailand has a problem where in certain situations tips are expected no matter how crappy the service. Sometimes, if it's that bad i won't tip.

If I walk in to a restaurant with my wife and children and the waitress ignores me with all the attention on the wife, giving her the menu etc. I'll not leave a tip for sure. This happens often if we go to a new restaurant.

I wonder why they do this - could it be that they think all foreigners leave everything up to their wife, that they are incapable of performing simple tasks like ordering food or leaving a tip?

Edited by Neeranam

I once gave a decent tip in a group of locals who didn't tip at all and I was informed it was quite a lot of face for them. So now I only tip when I'm eating and drinking either alone or with farang friends.

Why do you think they didn't tip? They couldn't afford it or it was inappropriate.

• Like 1

I just tip the same as my wife would (mostly).

But i do think Thailand has a problem where in certain situations tips are expected no matter how crappy the service. Sometimes, if it's that bad i won't tip.

Make that read cetain locations and I agree, especially those aimed at farangs in farang ripp off tourist spots.

Interestingly enough, the same staff with attitude problems never try that shit on when the wife is with me.

" I wonder why they do this - could it be that they think all foreigners leave everything up to their wife, that they are incapable of performing simple tasks like ordering food or leaving a tip? "

I would suggest its because in many places, the menu is in Thai, the wife is Thai and so can speak and order easily, thus making it easier for the staff, however, of course many Farang can both speak and read Thai although it isnt the norm.

Perhaps the waitress doesnt want to potentially cause "loss of face" to the Ferang by giving the Thai menu etc if he then has say he doesnt understand her or the menu.

In short, its just easier for them!

• Like 1

Tipping simply encourages employers to pay their staff lower wages. It all works out the same in the end. People's take-home pay is determined by supply and demand, not the "generosity" of misguided tippers.

Strange that in my trips to the USA that restaurants added 15% service charge (tip) isn't it, whether I was happy or not with the service......sad.png

i always liked the tipping discussion in Reservoir Dogs: Mr Pink didn't tip and all the hard case gangsters tore him a new a**hole for his attitude.

Here I usually let the Mrs handle the tips now, keeps things in proportion and Thais aint going to get into a face off with each other. Did hear some years ago of a faring getting bottled by a mamas an in a Pattaya beer bar for not tipping, which I thought was a bit harsh.

I generally tip but not too much, here and at home, but I aint too tight and appreciate folks working antisocial hours when Im out wining and dining.

• Like 1

Tipping simply encourages employers to pay their staff lower wages. It all works out the same in the end. People's take-home pay is determined by supply and demand, not the "generosity" of misguided tippers.

Strange that in my trips to the USA that restaurants added 15% service charge (tip) isn't it, whether I was happy or not with the service......sad.png

Well isn't that what the 'no tipping' crowd is asking for? They want the server to be paid a standard wage so the management is doing that by adding the additional expense to the bill.

Well isn't that what the 'no tipping' crowd is asking for? They want the server to be paid a standard wage so the management is doing that by adding the additional expense to the bill.

To me, adding 15% is daft. If I buy an expensive bottle of wine it costs me more for the staff to open it over a cheap bottle yet the procedure is the same.

1 they agree to take me

2 they use the meter

Some things we do in life do make one feel good, part of having a happy existence. smile.png

Giving my money away doesn't make me feel good, so I don't do it.

To me, adding 15% is daft. If I buy an expensive bottle of wine it costs me more for the staff to open it over a cheap bottle yet the procedure is the same.

I can sort of agree with that. I don't drink so the thought of very high restaurant bill due to a pricey bottle wine hadn't occurred to me. But if you're well-off enough to be buying a $150 bottle of dom perignon, I'm guessing that another $15 added to the tip isn't going to break the bank.

Edited by attrayant

Those who over-tip in Thailand, or indeed tip when they shouldn't, don't know how stupid they make themselves look... generosity does not come into it. Read up on the culture, esp' newbies from the US! xwink.png.pagespeed.ic.HJgPQ3U3SA.png

Does that make you an expert on tipping or stupidity? whistling.gif