i am ready to stop tipping

infinity11

I tip nobody and not even in US !

Just before I went on holiday to the US for the first time, I was reading a magazine, one article said "when you decide how much spending money you want to take with you, add another 20% for tips" there and then I decided no tipping whatsoever, and that's the way it was.

Do you realize in the U.S. that means the waiter only gets $2 an hour? It's a pretty crappy thing to do actually. The system in the U.S. not same like your country mister! Maybe you don't like it but ultimately your behavior means the little guy gets screwed!

Edited by DavidMavec

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just before I went on holiday to the US for the first time, I was reading a magazine, one article said "when you decide how much spending money you want to take with you, add another 20% for tips" there and then I decided no tipping whatsoever, and that's the way it was.

Do you realize in the U.S. that means the waiter only gets $2 an hour? It's a pretty crappy thing to do actually. The system in the U.S. not same like your country mister! Maybe you don't like it but ultimately your behavior means the little guy gets screwed!

I stand by what I said, it is the employer who is screwing the little guy, not me.

• Like 1

I stand by what I said, it is the employer who is screwing the little guy, not me.

I don't think you know the history of the system. 100 years ago the waiters bought their stations from the restaurant owner and the food from the kitchen and operated as independent contractors working in the restaurant. The owner did not pay a wage at all. He allowed the waiter to run a small business out of his property. Hence the tipping thing in the US started. There are a couple of old restaurants in the US that still do it that way. The waiter hires his own bus boys and such.

The owners began to pay waiters as a result of minimum wage laws and the advent of fast food which changed the system.

so if the employer screws the employee you are entitled to screw him/her too? dry.png

I don't think you know the history of the system. 100 years ago the waiters bought their stations from the restaurant owner and the food from the kitchen and operated as independent contractors working in the restaurant. The owner did not pay a wage at all. He allowed the waiter to run a small business out of his property. Hence the tipping thing in the US started. There are a couple of old restaurants in the US that still do it that way. The waiter hires his own bus boys and such.

The owners began to pay waiters as a result of minimum wage laws and the advent of fast food which changed the system.

But why is everything different in the US?

Why did this happen 100 years ago and not in civilized Europe ?

I rarely go places that look for tips.

I tip my regular golf caddy 100 baht but some in the past got nothing - long story. I'll tell you if you tell me why you're ready to stop tipping.

I was in The Royal Bangkok Sports club last month and wanted to give the very friendly and helpful waiter a 100 baht tip but my Thai friend stopped me and said to give him 50.

My brother was visiting us recently and gave the car park attendant 500 baht tip for looking after my car which had presents in it. I thought this was ridiculously high but he thought 10 quid was normal.

Many of us foreigners are still thinking in Western ways. I know one guy who gave all the staff in one restaurant 1000 baht each, all 8 of them. There's a fine line between generosity and stupidity.

I've met many who still don't know never to tip the dentist or the barber in Thailand.

cheapo farang. I know someone who bought his thai gf a house and car and he doesn't mind and he bought everyone inside an ago go bar in pattaya a round of drinks.

But why is everything different in the US?

Why did this happen 100 years ago and not in civilized Europe ?

Paris, and all of France as far as I know it is included in the bill for tax reasons. It started in England I believe. Check out the history of tipping. When you folks go out in France do you insist they take it off the bill?

Edited by thailiketoo

• 2 weeks later...

I almost didn't tip yesterday when the cashier at Yayoi restaurant pushed the tip box toward me after giving me my change. I though it was quite rude, but tipped anyway cos the rest of the staff was satisfactory.

I have often noticed the attitude of service staff the Thailand to be very rude. I think it must due to the low salary and often poor tips. They don't seem to care about their job at all and seem to have little incentive to make an effort. Especially in places like Yayoi and MK etc etc, rather than the higher tipping places.