i am ready to stop tipping

infinity11

I always tip. Especially if I frequent the place a lot. Then I get better service, hopefully a friendly smile, and feel good for it. Not as much as I tipped in the U.S. but it is a different situation here. If a woman massages me for an hour, I know from experience how much that stresses out my hands. And for the equivalent of $6.00 usd, for an hour massage, why not a tip? But I've known many service workers and have been one myself in the past, so know how much a tip is appreciated. People who can afford to and don't, I think are cheap bastards. I mean really? 20 baht? wai2.gif

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tipping is ok for me so long it is in proportion.just saw some fellows( think tourists) who tipped 200 thb for a 320 thb bill.just thought they will destroy the local prices bec the vendor will asume his prices are to cheep... for me 20-50 thb is ok depence on location,service and attitude.

I decided something pretty similar last year. I don't consider myself to be a cheap charlie but I get a bit hacked off sometimes with the expectation that as non-Thais we should tip all the time and more than our Thai "hosts". The rule I follow is I do as the Thais do in a restaurant where they would not tip, or give 20 baht, I will do the same. If I go to a tourist or higher class restaurant I will do as we do and tip around ten percent, but if a service charge is added I give nothing.

Even if I go to Caltex in the motor or bike they used to say "Tip for me", and I would say " for what. " They don't ask anymore.

SDM

Edited by SDM0712
  • Like 1

How many of you leave an additional tip when a restaurant adds ++ (10% for service) to the bill?

If they have a service charge then no additional tip except if the change is only a few bhat then I'll leave that.

Edited by Spaniel
  • Like 1

This is a comment aimed squarely at the fine folk from the USA.

We understand that tipping is de rigour in your old country ... your birth place.

But it's not universal around the World. Indeed, in some Cultures ... it's actually an embarrassment.

Hard to believe, I'm sure to a person used to tipping say 10 or 15% of the Bill.

But it's not Thai ... not their tradition.

But, like a virus ... it's creeping in.

You might well say ... yes, I tip ... everyone tips ... well actually, the majority don't.

What you see is that 'everyone' in your microcosm tip ...

But like 'Cookies' and not 'Biscuits' ... the USA Culture of tipping is slowly gaining traction in Thailand.

It is what it is.

We decry, as Farangs that we are targeted, we are singled out for a hit to our money belt ... we are treated as Banks.

Well ... where do you think this comes from.

As Westerners, we have educated the Thais that there is more money coming from the White Skinned man ... because, among other things ... we 'tip'. And tip sometimes generously.

So bad is this, and I am a touch embarrassed with this story, that one time I went to take a Taxi/Cab. Some Thais where ahead of us on the Footpath/Pavement. The Taxi slowed to pick them up ... then, upon seeing us, stopped to pick us up instead.

The reason as I could gather ... that Farangs before had tipped him generously, thus, he was going to get a better return from servicing 'us' ... not 'them'.

This creates two divides ... the other Thais resent us ... the guys who missed out on the Taxi and ... that all us Farangs are the same as those from the USA.

The anti is upped on us fair skinned guys. The USA Culture of tipping has been applied universally to my Culture, your Culture ... actually almost all cultures expect the USA Culture ... where it's firmly ingrained.

So tipping is what it is ... prevalent and expected in the Tourist dominated areas ... and slowly creeping into other parts of Thailand.

I'm not having a go at the Yanks ... but please don't assume that what goes as standard in your country ... goes as standard in other countries.

Before you go off the deep end, look up the history of tipping. It started in the Old World.

You might also want to check this out: http://culinarytravel.about.com/od/planningculinarytravel/a/Tipping_Guide_Worldwide.htm

No deep end here ... my pond I swim in is just fine ... thanks.

Had a quick look at the link.

So, there is no reference to the author ... I clicked the link ... but it doesn't show.

So, most likely, you have a Westerner writing about Cultures outside his/her own.

'nough said ...

As a sweeping generalisation ... Thais, on the whole usually don't tip.

Sometimes they do ... but it's the exception ... not the rule.

Do they tip at TESCO, the 25 Baht Noodle shop, the Market, the 7'11, the Ma and Pa shop,

the Barber ... universally ... the answer is no.

As a qualification ... rounding up the Taxi bill from 58 Baht and giving 60 Baht

is not really 'tipping'.

Everyone's experiences and mileage are different.

Rijb ... may I ask where you were born?

Your pond might have too many 'sweeping generalizations' and misguided assumptions.

Westerners writing about cultures outside his/her own??? Sounds like this forum.

Yep, you joined in too......................rolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-s.gif alt=rolleyes.gif width=20 height=20> .....................smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png

You're right. But, I don't need (or care) to know where you were born.

Part of this issue is people mixing up tipping venues. I'll be the first to agree tipping is not right at a grocery store or gas station. It is their job to pump petrol or ring up your purchase.

However, some use these distinctions to be cheap charlies in areas where it IS appropriate to tip. Some say it isn't thai to tip. yet we westerners introduced golf to them. And caddies. Tipping of caddies IS traditional in western nations. And not just a slap in the face.

Different cultures tip for different reasons. In America for example wait staff in many restaurants are tipped because our laws allow their wages to be far below the national minimum wage standard. it is ASSUMED that they get tipped as part of their income. If you do not, essentially you are stealing from them.

I agree the level of wait staff tipping in the US isn't the norm in Thailand or expected unless we make it so. However, iy truly is up to the individual. I eat regularly at a place next door to my condo. I tip about 30-40 baht each time I eat a meal costing about 200 baht. Yup. it's too much. But yo know what? I always get waited on fast. I always have someone pay attention to what I'm ordering and they always get it right. Wanna bet not everyone that eats there can say the same?

I don't use a barber (cut my own hair - have done since I was 20 or so) - but when I take my kids to the hair dresser I tip the cutter (20 baht each). I tip in cafe's and restaurants - usually the shrapnel. I top taxis (although I rarely get them).

However, if you talk with serving staff (especially in bars) they often have to give the tips to the owners - I have had this even in farang owned places. One place I go to often, I do not tip there anymore as the farang owner pockets all the tips (and buy a member of staff a drink and there is a 20b surcharge which again goes to the owner) - though I have back handed them a tip once or twice on the premise they keep it themselves (can usually tell they do because it goes in a sock or something rather than the tip box).

I decided something pretty similar last year. I don't consider myself to be a cheap charlie but I get a bit hacked off sometimes with the expectation that as non-Thais we should tip all the time and more than our Thai "hosts". The rule I follow is I do as the Thais do in a restaurant where they would not tip, or give 20 baht, I will do the same. If I go to a tourist or higher class restaurant I will do as we do and tip around ten percent, but if a service charge is added I give nothing.

Even if I go to Caltex in the motor or bike they used to say "Tip for me", and I would say " for what. " They don't ask anymore.

SDM

I usually tip 10 baht at the petrol stations. My regular one he remembers and always gives the windscreen a good wash. Tonight I took the family and a friend out for dinner and stopped at an unknown one. When I got out the car to use the ATM, the attendant said whoa hooa farang - of course he got nothing but a similar rude remark back about having the brain of a buffalo.

I rarely go places that look for tips.

I tip my regular golf caddy 100 baht but some in the past got nothing - long story. I'll tell you if you tell me why you're ready to stop tipping.

I was in The Royal Bangkok Sports club last month and wanted to give the very friendly and helpful waiter a 100 baht tip but my Thai friend stopped me and said to give him 50.

My brother was visiting us recently and gave the car park attendant 500 baht tip for looking after my car which had presents in it. I thought this was ridiculously high but he thought 10 quid was normal.

Many of us foreigners are still thinking in Western ways. I know one guy who gave all the staff in one restaurant 1000 baht each, all 8 of them. There's a fine line between generosity and stupidity.

I've met many who still don't know never to tip the dentist or the barber in Thailand

I hope that 100 is for 9 holes?
Now, I give 100 baht for 9 holes usually but a few years ago when I was broke, I never. Usually about 50 baht, which is the same as my Thai partners gave.

Some of my farang friends gave 200 + and I was asked a few times for more(then they got 0). My wife had a part-time job for 150 baht a day so why should I give some lazy caddie the same when they get paid by the club anyway? The cost of a round was only 200 baht.

I tip my regular golf caddy 100 baht but some in the past got nothing - long story. I'll tell you if you tell me why you're ready to stop tipping.

I was in The Royal Bangkok Sports club last month and wanted to give the very friendly and helpful waiter a 100 baht tip but my Thai friend stopped me and said to give him 50.

My brother was visiting us recently and gave the car park attendant 500 baht tip for looking after my car which had presents in it. I thought this was ridiculously high but he thought 10 quid was normal.

Many of us foreigners are still thinking in Western ways. I know one guy who gave all the staff in one restaurant 1000 baht each, all 8 of them. There's a fine line between generosity and stupidity.

I've met many who still don't know never to tip the dentist or the barber in Thailand

Now, I give 100 baht for 9 holes usually but a few years ago when I was broke, I never. Usually about 50 baht, which is the same as my Thai partners gave.

Some of my farang friends gave 200 + and I was asked a few times for more(then they got 0). My wife had a part-time job for 150 baht a day so why should I give some lazy caddie the same when they get paid by the club anyway? The cost of a round was only 200 baht.

Ah. You were playing a shitty golf course. Probably untrained caddies that carry your bag and do little else. I would hope if you play a decent course with trained caddies that watch where you hit, mark your ball, read lines, and clean your clubs and fix divots you would be tipping more. And what your wife was paid for whatever job she had is has nothing to do with it.

Tipping isn't mandatory in Thailand, most Thai people don't tip.

But a lot of Thai people will give a tip if they have a large shared meal, and occasionally in other situations as well. Usually just the coins, sometimes a small note, although only if the service/food was good.

For myself, I used to tip when I first came to Thailand, as staff in the tourist areas told me that I should tip, and I'd heard that in the USA you have to tip, so assumed Thailand was the same.

Now that I live here, I know it's not mandatory, but I still tip a little bit. I almost always tip BKK taxi drivers, as I am just happy with the service + price which they usually provide. Likewise if I have a large shared meal, I'll leave a little bit of change (provided the food/service was good), and at some restaurants where I get on well with the staff I tip.

All of this is kinda weird for me, as in NZ we usually don't tip (Occasionally in a bar if we want the staff to remember us so that we can get faster service, or sometimes if we think the service is really good, but that's about it)

• Like 2

Ah. You were playing a shitty golf course. Probably untrained caddies that carry your bag and do little else. I would hope if you play a decent course with trained caddies that watch where you hit, mark your ball, read lines, and clean your clubs and fix divots you would be tipping more. And what your wife was paid for whatever job she had is has nothing to do with it.

I played some good courses like Lake View in Hua Hin, where I paid, reluctantly 300 baht. But the cost of the round was something like 3000 baht.

It irritates me when they expect more from a farang when, on the whole, the Thai golfers are much richer.

I always tip my regular places not because I want to continue the good relations and service but because I know that in the long run over years it makes a difference and I like the people who run my regular places. It has gotten to the point where they say I really don't need to tip because the relationship is more like friends now than just customer, just makes me want to tip all the more.

I don't use a barber (cut my own hair - have done since I was 20 or so) - but when I take my kids to the hair dresser I tip the cutter (20 baht each). I tip in cafe's and restaurants - usually the shrapnel. I top taxis (although I rarely get them).

However, if you talk with serving staff (especially in bars) they often have to give the tips to the owners - I have had this even in farang owned places. One place I go to often, I do not tip there anymore as the farang owner pockets all the tips (and buy a member of staff a drink and there is a 20b surcharge which again goes to the owner) - though I have back handed them a tip once or twice on the premise they keep it themselves (can usually tell they do because it goes in a sock or something rather than the tip box).

If you tip a bar girl in pattaya (or elsewhere in thailand) she does not keep the tip???