i am ready to stop tipping

infinity11

To me, adding 15% is daft. If I buy an expensive bottle of wine it costs me more for the staff to open it over a cheap bottle yet the procedure is the same.

I can sort of agree with that. I don't drink so the thought of very high restaurant bill due to a pricey bottle wine hadn't occurred to me. But if you're well-off enough to be buying a $150 bottle of dom perignon, I'm guessing that another $10 added to the tip isn't going to break the bank.

My point is, the same procedure, what ever the price of the item, is charged 15%, to me doesn't add up and is a rip off. Tipping is about a reward for quality of service, nothing to do with an assumption of a fat wallet.

• Like 2

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those who over-tip in Thailand, or indeed tip when they shouldn't, don't know how stupid they make themselves look... generosity does not come into it. Read up on the culture, esp' newbies from the US! wink.png

stupid are the poor boys who envy those who can afford to tip.

I even tip in 7 11 when I pay my electric bill

Edited by harryfrompattaya

Those who over-tip in Thailand, or indeed tip when they shouldn't, don't know how stupid they make themselves look... generosity does not come into it. Read up on the culture, esp' newbies from the US! xwink.png.pagespeed.ic.HJgPQ3U3SA.png

Does that make you an expert on tipping or stupidity? whistling.gif

he read up everything on "the culture" and became an expert in "Thai tipping culture".

every waiter/waitress admires his profound cultural indepth knowledge when he leaves a restaurant without tipping.

I tip nobody and not even in US !

Just before I went on holiday to the US for the first time, I was reading a magazine, one article said "when you decide how much spending money you want to take with you, add another 20% for tips" there and then I decided no tipping whatsoever, and that's the way it was.

Those who over-tip in Thailand, or indeed tip when they shouldn't, don't know how stupid they make themselves look... generosity does not come into it. Read up on the culture, esp' newbies from the US! xwink.png.pagespeed.ic.HJgPQ3U3SA.png

Does that make you an expert on tipping or stupidity? whistling.gif

he read up everything on "the culture" and became an expert in "Thai tipping culture".

every waiter/waitress admires his profound cultural indepth knowledge when he leaves a restaurant without tipping.

when he leaves a restaurant without tipping.

These days I consider it an achievement if I can leave a restaurant without tripping, never mind tipping.

Just before I went on holiday to the US for the first time, I was reading a magazine, one article said "when you decide how much spending money you want to take with you, add another 20% for tips" there and then I decided no tipping whatsoever, and that's the way it was.

Little kid in the street and everyone who goes past him says, "I'm an American" and gives him 25 cents.

This goes on every day for 10 years. On his tenth birthday he goes out on the street and 5 Americans walk by give him 25 cents and say, "I'm an American."

One Brit walks by and does not look at the child or give him anything. But says, "I'm British you know."

Little kid in the street and everyone who goes past him says, "I'm an American" and gives him 25 cents.

This goes on every day for 10 years. On his tenth birthday he goes out on the street and 5 Americans walk by give him 25 cents and say, "I'm an American."

One Brit walks by and does not look at the child or give him anything. But says, "I'm British you know."

My chum is a London Black cab driver, over 25 years. I won't say here who the worse tippers are in his opinion.........whistling.gif ..........laugh.png

I rarely go places that look for tips.

I tip my regular golf caddy 100 baht but some in the past got nothing - long story. I'll tell you if you tell me why you're ready to stop tipping.

I was in The Royal Bangkok Sports club last month and wanted to give the very friendly and helpful waiter a 100 baht tip but my Thai friend stopped me and said to give him 50.

My brother was visiting us recently and gave the car park attendant 500 baht tip for looking after my car which had presents in it. I thought this was ridiculously high but he thought 10 quid was normal.

Many of us foreigners are still thinking in Western ways. I know one guy who gave all the staff in one restaurant 1000 baht each, all 8 of them. There's a fine line between generosity and stupidity.

I've met many who still don't know never to tip the dentist or the barber in Thailand.

It is hard to stop old habits, restaurants, taxis, and barbers.

WHY NOT BARBERS IN THAILAND PLEASE?

Those who over-tip in Thailand, or indeed tip when they shouldn't, don't know how stupid they make themselves look... generosity does not come into it. Read up on the culture, esp' newbies from the US! wink.png

This man knows the score. I tip what I feel like. If the service is great I leave a big tip. why? Because it makes the staff have fun for a night. They can go buy something cool. Do with it as they like. People who laugh or think I am nuts haha go a head. Does not bother me one bit. I thinks its sweet that you worry about my money by being concerned with what I tip. I have a very good buddy when we first met he told me " Don't tip like that your going to ruin it for everyone else " Now he says man that was a great night best in a long time.

The massage shops that are 150 baht the "house" keeps 90 baht so I tend to give at least 50 baht or more if the massage is good (I only do foot massages)

As for the rest 20 baht or leftover coins, I'll admit I don't like it when staff hover after they give me back my change in a restaurant.

Thanks for reminding how difficult or impossible it will be for me not to tip the masseurs (too much).

I believe for a small/lower scale restaurant, the servers don't expect the customers to tip especially when it located outside of the city. Generally, for the hotels' restaurant, they added the service charges to your final bill, so you are being charged for the service, good or bad.

However, if you can tip, please do because your $1 can be helpful to those servers.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2

I tip my regular golf caddy 100 baht but some in the past got nothing - long story. I'll tell you if you tell me why you're ready to stop tipping.

I was in The Royal Bangkok Sports club last month and wanted to give the very friendly and helpful waiter a 100 baht tip but my Thai friend stopped me and said to give him 50.

My brother was visiting us recently and gave the car park attendant 500 baht tip for looking after my car which had presents in it. I thought this was ridiculously high but he thought 10 quid was normal.

Many of us foreigners are still thinking in Western ways. I know one guy who gave all the staff in one restaurant 1000 baht each, all 8 of them. There's a fine line between generosity and stupidity.

I've met many who still don't know never to tip the dentist or the barber in Thailand.

I think it's common sense not to tip the dentist but why not tip the barber? I get my hair cut at a small but nice shop in Minburi where a regular haircut is B80 and I always give the barber a B20 tip. Many Thais use this shop too and I have notice that some but not all of the Thai customers also give a tip.

I have always considered it a good idea to give a generous tip to a man who handles scissors and razors near my face.

• Like 1

I just tip the same as my wife would (mostly).

But i do think Thailand has a problem where in certain situations tips are expected no matter how crappy the service. Sometimes, if it's that bad i won't tip.

If I walk in to a restaurant with my wife and children and the waitress ignores me with all the attention on the wife, giving her the menu etc. I'll not leave a tip for sure. This happens often if we go to a new restaurant.

I wonder why they do this - could it be that they think all foreigners leave everything up to their wife, that they are incapable of performing simple tasks like ordering food or leaving a tip?

They often talk to the thais for more than one reason i suspect.

Edited by infinity11

My reward for good food and service is repeat business.

do they care?

does anyone care if you return or not?

if so who?

the ones who know you and like your charm and personality?

places desperate for business?

places who really want to establish a client base (common?)

exception or the norm?

(for conversation purposes, i don't mean nor intend to sound harsh)

I agree...far greater benefit here than in hi-so places ( and generally much more appreciated). Also, I like to leave something for the housekeeper...just 25 or 30 Baht a day. It's not the greatest job and they often get overlooked for tips

I believe for a small/lower scale restaurant, the servers don't expect the customers to tip especially when it located outside of the city. Generally, for the hotels' restaurant, they added the service charges to your final bill, so you are being charged for the service, good or bad. However, if you can tip, please do because your $1 can be helpful to those servers. Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

My chum is a London Black cab driver, over 25 years. I won't say here who the worse tippers are in his opinion.........whistling.gif ..........laugh.png

Of course not, the Blether might read it.

This man knows the score. I tip what I feel like. If the service is great I leave a big tip. why? Because it makes the staff have fun for a night. They can go buy something cool. Do with it as they like. People who laugh or think I am nuts haha go a head. Does not bother me one bit. I thinks its sweet that you worry about my money by being concerned with what I tip. I have a very good buddy when we first met he told me " Don't tip like that your going to ruin it for everyone else " Now he says man that was a great night best in a long time.

You are right ! Because of the monkeyx who tip or tip too much then too many Thai are waiting for it and do not appreciate when we just give them a handshake !

Tip very little if at all. It's the foreigners that introduced tipping to Thailand. I never liked the practice myself. I do tip generously at my regular bar, because I am treated like family. I don't get any bigger face when I tip at restaurants, they always seem indifferent anyway. Up to you, if it makes you feel like a bigshot , more power to you.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Tip very little if at all. It's the foreigners that introduced tipping to Thailand. I never liked the practice myself. I do tip generously at my regular bar, because I am treated like family. I don't get any bigger face when I tip at restaurants, they always seem indifferent anyway. Up to you, if it makes you feel like a bigshot , more power to you.

That is really a value laden statement, "if it makes you feel like a bigshot." English guys think Japanese guys pay too much. Do you think Japanese guys want to feel like bigshots? No, of course not. They get a higher standard of service and it costs more. In life the rule of thumb is "you get what you pay for." There are whole countries that have not figured this simple fact out yet. Amazing.

I've met many who still don't know never to tip the dentist or the barber in Thailand

I hope that 100 is for 9 holes?

Nothing to do with feeling a big shot........rolleyes.gif gawd..........We are not talking about your McDonalds ''restaurant''...............laugh.png

I tip for good service.

If asked to tip or told to tip, I don't.

I was once told at a village food market that "farang need to tip 20 baht! "

I said "no thank you!"and never returned.

I do a lot of business with the shop next door and try to be sure the "tip lady"knows I go there and not to her shop.

Tipping is for people who make an extra effort to please you.

Tipping is not for those who do as little as possible as so many in this country do.

• Like 2