Cop thiefs on narawat bridge!

bangkok blue

But there's a reason for why a Thai license wouldn't be accepted in England.

A 5 year Thai driving Licence is accepted in the UK, even for rentals. For up to 12 months , I believe.
That's right - handy when your UK licence has expired.

If that's the case it makes it even more of a farce that they're fining / scamming foreigners who are in possession of a valid license from their home country!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, get the license and the insurance and quit whining about the police enforcing the law.

Same the world over.

"They're picking on me because I'm a foreigner!".

No, they're picking on him because they know like most chancers, he's breaking the law.

biggrin.png

• Like 1

I have a TDL and I have no intention of ever driving in Thailand. My U.S. DL has expired, so I can use this one to rent cars in the U.S. It's a handy ID, it has my address on the back in Thai, it's laid out in the same way as a Thai ID card, so it's easy for the staff at the movie theater to figure out my age and give me the senior discount, I get resident discount at some places (like National Parks), my TDL no. is my passport no., AND -- it has the cute Chiang Mai panda family in the lower right corner.

Who wouldn't want one?

• Like 2

As I understand it,this current system was set up expressly to stop rampant corruption. Instead of pocketing payoffs, the police actually get a commission for each ticket they write out. I've been stopped a few times and since my Thai license was valid and my car had insurance i was allowed to go without paying anything. So, as far as i can see, they weren't abusing their ticketing powers. And the police do stop unhelmeted motorcyclists, mostly Thais, and fine them. In fact, most of the people I see stopped are unhelmeted Thais.

• Like 1

Have you thought of renting a car? Tell them that you're visiting from abroad, and you needed your own transportation while on vacation.

As in every other country (I'd guess), the major car rental agencies have worked out agreements with the local governments concerning the legality of driving in each country without having to first procure a drivers license for that country.

So, contrary to an earlier post, the US and UK allow legal driving with something other than a drivers license issued by those governments. Maybe you'd best get an international drivers license to be extra safe. It should work for a while.

All in all, it's much easier--and cheaper--to just get the Thai license. If you drive a motorcycle also, you'd best get a separate motorcycle license as well.

@Bangkok Blue

If you don't want to get the ticket, get a license. I had mine (car and motorcycle) within a week of getting to CM. Never had a chance to use them though since I have never been stopped in the 3 years I have lived here. Maybe they think a westerner with a helmet, armored jacket, and gloved is going to just be squared away with the paperwork as well.

Don't like paying tea money? Just don't do it. Nothing says you have to do it. Take your ticket, go to the station, and pay up.

And thanks for the laugh where you said "surely the standards of driving tests in UK and America for example are good enough to drive here!" Maybe in the UK you can get away with driving with a Thai license rather than a UK license but not likely in the US.

So, get the license and the insurance and quit whining about the police enforcing the law.

David

The standard of the UK driving test is FAR superior to the Thai one. So why shouldn't a UK driving license be considered acceptable for Thailand? Obviously they don't, at present. But there's a reason for why a Thai license wouldn't be accepted in England.

All valid foreign licences (including Thai ones) are valid to drive in the UK for a year. After a year you're required to have obtained a British driving licence.

I know it's a personal question, and it may seem a strange one to ask, but believe me I'm only asking it for your own good, because there's a bar on Moon Muang Rd......... Are you ugly?

Maybe he is only driving to stay out of the rain.

Which makes we wonder if the seat is on the right side for him or has it been reserved for non ugly/licenced drivers

The standard of the UK driving test is FAR superior to the Thai one. So why shouldn't a UK driving license be considered acceptable for Thailand? Obviously they don't, at present. But there's a reason for why a Thai license wouldn't be accepted in England. What a ridiculous comparison!

Ironically Thai driver licenses are accepted if the intended length of stay in the UK is less than 12 months.

The validity of any driving licenses depends on the law of the country or state you live in. In this case, even if you are the best driver in the world it's still illegal to not have a TDL.

The standard of the UK driving test is FAR superior to the Thai one. So why shouldn't a UK driving license be considered acceptable for Thailand? Obviously they don't, at present. But there's a reason for why a Thai license wouldn't be accepted in England. What a ridiculous comparison!

Ironically Thai driver licenses are accepted if the intended length of stay in the UK is less than 12 months.

Only the 5 year Thai DL is accepted. The 1 year DL says TEMPORARY across the top and is not accepted.

I posted many months ago,on a similar thread, that I had been pulled up in Hua Hin in a rental car and asked politely for my Thai driving licence which I had.

The policeman informed me that there was a crack down on foreigners who had been here a long time but were still driving on the their original licences from their home country.

I think that's completely reasonable and acceptable thinking if you intend to live here.

What I don't understand, with many expats, is all the "drama" when they have to spend some time at Immigration or at Hang Dong Licensing making themselves legal according to the laws in this country whether you think they are not fair or not is irrelevent.

There is this mind set that "Oh I'm in Thailand I should be able to do what I want. Just do it.

Finally let me tell you if you were in my home country and not having a valid license, not wearing a helmet etc you would be seriously out of pocket or banned from driving for repeat offences.

Fair point sparkles. I think my main point to this topic has been missed. I'm not against the enforcing of this regulation. If its the law, then so be it. I am against the BIB using it as another excuse to personally profit from it.

I will get myself fully licensed up ASAP.

Yep, have every reason to complain, when a Thai license / test holds about as much water as a leaking incontinent bag, compared to a UK license! Especially when a 5 year Thai license can be used for 12 months in the UK. Am I the only one who thinks something is a bit skew miss here?

@Bangkok Blue

If you don't want to get the ticket, get a license. I had mine (car and motorcycle) within a week of getting to CM. Never had a chance to use them though since I have never been stopped in the 3 years I have lived here. Maybe they think a westerner with a helmet, armored jacket, and gloved is going to just be squared away with the paperwork as well.

Don't like paying tea money? Just don't do it. Nothing says you have to do it. Take your ticket, go to the station, and pay up.

And thanks for the laugh where you said "surely the standards of driving tests in UK and America for example are good enough to drive here!" Maybe in the UK you can get away with driving with a Thai license rather than a UK license but not likely in the US.

David

Wasn't meant to be a comparison. It was to point out that each country sets its own standards for what is acceptable within its borders. I too think the driving tests in the UK and the US are more stringent than the ones in Thailand, however, Thailand requires a Thai license just as the UK requires a UK license and the US requires a US license. And all three have penalties for driving without the proper license.

David

Not long ago I hired a car from Budget in the US using my only up to date license issued in Thailand. No problems whatsoever.

@Bangkok Blue

David

Wasn't meant to be a comparison. It was to point out that each country sets its own standards for what is acceptable within its borders. I too think the driving tests in the UK and the US are more stringent than the ones in Thailand, however, Thailand requires a Thai license just as the UK requires a UK license and the US requires a US license. And all three have penalties for driving without the proper license.

David

Fair enough David, but maybe a Thai license is acceptable for a temporary period, as per above post.

I'm surprised no one else thinks its wrong the cops are using this new regulation to personally profit. I'm also surprised that the powers that be don't consider a western driving license, which had stricter tests good enough for here. Especially as UK citizens drive on the same side of the road as Thailand. Hey ho T.I.T! I'll get what I need this week to avoid any potential issues.

I don't understand the "personal profit" thing. I've never handed a cop cash in Thailand. They've never asked me either. I always pay at the police station where it is accounted for. But I've only had about 4 tickets in 25+ years.

• Like 1

no driving licence.

failing to stop when told to.

you have broken the law twice.

pay 500bht.to pass go.

hopefully they will have your car reg.no.

6months in the slammer.

what do you think about that.

I have a UK driving license, which up until recently has been fine.

My point is they are abusing the new law and regulations for personal gain and i wont be playing that game with them.I somehow doubt very much I will be doing any big bird for not stopping for corrupt cops. If I broke the law then, then what are they doing by pocketing the money?

It's no big deal. Will just make sure I avoid narawat bridge and go around the river in future to get to where I need to.

Just curious if you were in the UK driving with a Thai drivers license would you be so upset about them saying you should have a UK one?

no driving licence.

pay 500bht.to pass go.

6months in the slammer.

My point is they are abusing the new law and regulations for personal gain and i wont be playing that game with them.I somehow doubt very much I will be doing any big bird for not stopping for corrupt cops. If I broke the law then, then what are they doing by pocketing the money?

It's no big deal. Will just make sure I avoid narawat bridge and go around the river in future to get to where I need to.

Just curious if you were in the UK driving with a Thai drivers license would you be so upset about them saying you should have a UK one?

Situation would not occur. You can drive with a 5 year Thai license in the UK for 12mths. Here they don't even give you one day's grace. despite the fact the test standards are far superior. It's another way to extract money, whichever way you look at it, IMO unfairly.

How long you been here get a Thai license . I been stopped twice recently just ask for the license once shown thank you and on your

I agree, simply go and get your Thai MDL. It can all be done very quickly and if you have to do the Color Blindness and/or other tests, so what? just do it!

I can't imagine why some people come to live in this country and just assume that if they have a MDL in the U.K., U.S.A., Australia or wherever else they may have escaped from, that it should be "good enough" in Thailand.

How do these folks think the constabulary in their former homeland, would react if a foreigner just "assumed" that they could drive without first obtaining the correct license?

I reckon they might get hit with a pretty hefty fine so please, just do the right thing AND don't assume that you are any better than our hosts.

A 5 year Thai driving Licence is accepted in the UK, even for rentals. For up to 12 months , I believe.

That is scary!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

That is scary!

Exactly! Very dangerous that a Thai national could legally drive on British roads with the inept test given here, yet UK licenses are deemed not worthy in Thailand!

• Like 2

That is scary!

Exactly! Very dangerous that a Thai national could legally drive on British roads with the inept test given here, yet UK licenses are deemed not worthy in Thailand!

If you live in the UK you need a UK licence and if you live in Thailand you need a Thai licence, it's not that hard to understand. The UK allows the temporary use of a 5 year Thai licence, and Thailand allows the temporary use of an international licence, which is a formality to get if you have a UK licence. There isn't a great deal of difference really. Your argument, whether you intend it or not, comes across as arrogant.

You are playing the victim and taking this as some kind of personal vendetta, whether it's against you personally or your kind, Farangs (it's called "culture shock") but nobody is agreeing with you. I know there's no prizes, but I've got 9 likes in this topic, how many have you got, and what does that tell you? Add another 2 or 3 possibly for this post.

Just out of curiosity, how long have you been here and better still, what do you want to be when you grow up ? The second question is a joke, by the way.

• Like 1

I find it amusing that someone who has never passed their test in the UK could come to Thailand and get a Thai licence, then when in the UK, drive in the UK!!

Edited by kjhbigv
  • Like 2

no driving licence.

pay 500bht.to pass go.

6months in the slammer.

We get it. You rebel against authority. Now get over it. It is their country, and they get to make the rules. Just take a deep breath, and learn to follow a countries rules. You are making your own life crazy. By the way, your own country would have you in jail by now.

• Like 1