How Is Your Thai History?

Neeranam

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One should expect the citizens of a country know their own history better than the visitors.

history is rarely taught in schools anymore

In what countries and at what levels are you referring to?

In the UK in government schools it is no longer compulsory to study history at the completion of Stage 3 - 14 years old. Don't know the curriculum up to that age. My Thai stepson went to a government school in Australia until aged 18, other than the likes of ANZAC day and Kokoda Trail, general history studies were near to zero.

Except for reinforcing the Thai nationalism agenda, I would guess the same applies to Thai government schools. However perhaps you can provide a link to the curriculum for Thai history from the Ministry of Education and up to what age it is compulsory to study

I had one daughter attend school in Texas. I was always impressed that they studied State history starting in 1st grade along with national and world history in the upper grades. College of course American and world history are required (at least where my family went to school).

I have learnt some Thai History from reading novels. Two I liked were "Four Reigns" by Kukrit Promaj, and "The Falcon of Siam" by Alex Aylwen. Both are excellent reads and give you a good understanding of some Thai history.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ X using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

One should expect the citizens of a country know their own history better than the visitors.

I'm Scottish, but I know a lot more about American and Irish history than I do about my own country.
A few years ago, I said the same. It was embarrassing when Americans would quiz me on Robert the Bruce or Mary Queen of Scots, bought a heap of history books for kids so now my whole family know the basics.
  • Like 1

The thing that I find funny is how ignorant most of you are on Thai history and the assumptions that you make. Most Thais, bla bla bla.

Most Thais that you meet, maybe but that isn't always the best representation.

History is a mandatory subject from p1-m6 in Thailand. Retaining that knowledge might be the issue.

The other issue is that most of the people that you talk to may know a lot about Thai history but don't know the English words to be able to express their knowledge.

Any argument about the knowledge of Thai history using the current king is absolutely ridiculous. You do realize that they are not allowed to discuss certain things publicly?

I use to teach US civics to immigrants trying to take their citizenship test. I found it interesting that the majority of people I met including those in the University circles didn't know half of what my students had to study.

Instead of laughing at us, perhaps you could recommend some literature, Ajarn!

I agree, when someone living in Pattay says, "most Thais I meet..", it's hardly a true representation. Or my wife, who left school at 14 didn

t know, so that applies to all Thais.

World history is not in the curriculum in P1- P6, only Thai. In Mattayom school they learn world history.

I had one daughter attend school in Texas. I was always impressed that they studied State history starting in 1st grade along with national and world history in the upper grades. College of course American and world history are required (at least where my family went to school).

What about world Geography? I think there's a need for that.

Edited by Neeranam

I'm Scottish, but I know a lot more about American and Irish history than I do about my own country.
A few years ago, I said the same. It was embarrassing when Americans would quiz me on Robert the Bruce or Mary Queen of Scots, bought a heap of history books for kids so now my whole family know the basics.

All I know about Mary Queen of Scots is she got her head chopped off, and Robert the Bruce had something to do with a spider. i have been to the Culloden battlefield a few times and found it very interesting.

If the thread was about geography that would be an appropriate post. As it is not I take it you would now like to start the usual American bashing.

If the thread was about geography that would be an appropriate post. As it is not I take it you would now like to start the usual American bashing.

if it WAS about world geography, americans would manage to bash themselves without our help.

• Like 1

I'm currently reading Davis Wyatt's History of Thailand for the second time. It's pretty dry reading and my retention the first time wasn't that good.

I've read two other "condensed History of Thailand books" but can't name them.

Just recently, I read The Revolutionary King, an excellent book written with the consent and aid of the "man in charge".

I understand so much more of Thai history and the man himself after reading this book. I highly recommend it to any who are interested in this country.

• Like 2

This is an old movie, I ask myself whats changed, pay particular attention to the opening scenes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHt9FdGjL88

I remember my mrs having a pile of videos of uncut new footage from the 1992/3 riots, used to be able to buy them on Suk Rd at the time.

I also remeber the "No More Dictatorship In Thailand" posters that were poplular in places like Chatuchak market, never see them these days.

The Gavin Menzies books 1421 and 1434 are very, very good books that will reshape your view of Asia and world history. He has written several others and has a good website. But the one book to read is of course the one that is banned, but is widely read. My wife was stunned to learn that many farlang now know more about Thai history than many Thais. But they are on a rapid learning curve. I think big changes are not far off

The Gavin Menzies books 1421 and 1434 are very, very good books that will reshape your view of Asia and world history. He has written several others and has a good website. But the one book to read is of course the one that is banned, but is widely read. My wife was stunned to learn that many farlang now know more about Thai history than many Thais. But they are on a rapid learning curve. I think big changes are not far off

I think that to say "many farang know more about Thai history than many Thais" is totally misleading and incorrect.

I think that to say "many farang know more about Thai history than many Thais" is totally misleading and incorrect.

until you define "many", you really cannot say that.

I think, that when you settle in a new country the least you can do is to learn a little bit of the culture and history. I had a good time reading “A History of Thailand” by Chris Baker and Pasuk Phongpaichit, published by Cambridge University Press (available in Thai book stores); being a foreign release may not be too much of martial victories, as Thai history book have been accused of telling. Now I am reading an interesting book about the royal family.

Sadly, I would say that I know less now than I did a decade ago .... I must be getting old!

I do have some areas of knowledge that are decent but that is because I like political history (say Phibun-present) and linguistics, but other than that I would be pretty much typical of people that read it once, got enough out of it to pass a test, and then promptly forgot it :)

My wife doesn't even know how many days there are in a year. Ask yours.

She is very intelligent and learns quickly, but was never taught. I agree that Thais know f* all about their history and furthermore that they don't want to know.

Mind you, my ex-wife (Swiss) got very upset when I told her that Napoleon walked into Switzerland and ruled the place for a few years (thank god).

Sadly, I would say that I know less now than I did a decade ago .... I must be getting old!

I do have some areas of knowledge that are decent but that is because I like political history (say Phibun-present) and linguistics, but other than that I would be pretty much typical of people that read it once, got enough out of it to pass a test, and then promptly forgot it smile.png

I'm exactly the same. Any knowledge I have about anything these days is kindly stored by Google.

She is very intelligent and learns quickly, but was never taught. I agree that Thais know f* all about their history and furthermore that they don't want to know.

Mind you, my ex-wife (Swiss) got very upset when I told her that Napoleon walked into Switzerland and ruled the place for a few years (thank god).

Not knowing how many days there are in a year comes from the different perception of time here.

Thais tend to spend more time in the NOW and think in terms of seasons.

Not knowing how many days there are in a year comes from the different perception of time here.

Thais tend to spend more time in the NOW and think in terms of seasons.

Well yes, that is what I was trying to explain, I feel myself getting that way myself, you may have missed my point.

the October massacre in 1976 is NOT world history. it's local history. the ignorance on thai side regarding history is that they don't know about things like vietnam war (in their backyard, literally) or kmer rouge (in their backyard, literally), etc. i don't blame them for not knowing about IRA or ETA or Falklands, etc.

the October massacre in 1976 is NOT world history. it's local history. the ignorance on thai side regarding history is that they don't know about things like vietnam war (in their backyard, literally) or kmer rouge (in their backyard, literally), etc. i don't blame them for not knowing about IRA or ETA or Falklands, etc.

How can they not know about the Vietnam War or the Khmer Rouge?

Serious question.

I used to live in London.

As an antipodean I had some knowledge from my school years.

Understood the significance of the Battle of Hastings etc.

But I really liked the UK, so I wanted to know more ... so, in between working in the Pub,

going out and getting rat-assed, I managed to read the history of England from 1066 up

to WW2.

Thanks to the OP for reminding me that I haven't done that yet for Thailand.

Anyone have any good recommendations?

Anyone else read the book mentioned in Post #3 ?

Thanks ...

recommend 'Lords of the Rim' by Seagrave (parts of it significant regarding Thailand, main parts about the Overseas Chinese)

2 reasons:

1/ not their country hence not their problem.

2/ not "pleasant" hence no "sanouk" hence waste of energy/time.

serious reply.

Agreed. smile.png

• Like 1

2 reasons:

1/ not their country hence not their problem.

2/ not "pleasant" hence no "sanouk" hence waste of energy/time.

serious reply.

The Vietnamese raided and attacked Thailand on a number of occasions. Thailand was a combatant in the Vietnam war with a significant number of troops committed wounded and killed. Thai troops fought in Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos.

The Khmer Rouge operated from within Thailand. Thailand and Vietnam faced off across the Thai-Cambodian border with frequent Vietnamese incursions and shellings into Thai territory throughout the 1980s in pursuit of Cambodian guerrillas who kept attacking Vietnamese occupation forces.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnamese_border_raids_in_Thailand

When we criticize thai's and their lack of knowing history, how well do you know yours.

Most of the history was written by winners or otherwise bias. Here is very interesting series about world history from WWII till today. Real eye opener. The Untold History Of The United States made by Oliver Stone.