British Invasion 2013-2014

homeownership

It seems nearly every man and his dog has booked or are planning to book to holiday in Thailand over the next 12 months from the UK.

The Americans term it, the "British Invasion", it is because as a Brit and I can vouch that this is true, we tend to do things on recommendation.

Thailand as a holiday destination WILL become very popular and not just for men looking for friendship either.

Lets look at the traditional haunts of the British Holidaymaker.

1) Spain - Disputes over Gibralter (British Island) and the increase cost of holidays have meant that holidays to mainland Spain have fallen by 30% since 2008 and those retiring to Spain are lowest levels since the 1980s. No wonder they can't sell property to Brits at the prices they would like to.

2) Egypt- The current political instability means most Brits will rule out a trip to Egypt. Not much more to say there really.

3) Turkey - Turkey has seen a boom in recent years but there is a lot of Islamic Pressures meaning that alcohol is now restricted. Well without going in to the whys and the wherefores you can see the average Brit choosing to skim to the other popular place with the name "T" and that is Thailand.

If your lucky enough to get a seat on a plan in Summer, you can be looking at over £850 pp and £599 in Winter.

The Russians currently rule Pattaya and the Ozzies rule Phuket, I think were going to see a major boom in tourism over the next few years with British Holidaymakers choosing Thailand, many of which will be first timers.

The British are coming, lock up your Daughters.

• Like 2

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Am I to take it that you actually believe that there will be an increase in British tourists because of the points stated in the OP?

If it is an advertising strategy directed at people thinking of coming here, tell them the truth. Your flight prices are arse about face...............wink.png

(at least that is what I used to find, Summer low season in Thailand, Winter high)

"If your lucky enough to get a seat on a plan in Summer, you can be looking at over £850 pp and £599 in Winter"

Of course, I may be wrong booking from UK.................

• Like 1

Regardless of the destination, booking a holiday in the UK is always expensive during the period of June - September, also around Eastertime and Christmas because of the school holidays.

Lots of deals to be had for 'off-peak' travel outside of these periods.

Just done a very quick search using the 'supermarket comparison':

Feb 2014 to Phuket £601 7 days in 4* hotel pp

Jul 2014 to Phuket £925 7 days in 3* hotel pp

Always been the same.

" It seems .......... " what sort of an introduction is that, where is the support for this?

It seems many would question your bold assertion.

"It seems many would question your bold assertion" - where is the support for your bold statement?

Edited by chiang mai

The Americans term it, the "British Invasion" ...

That term was used during the 50's and 60's in reference to the Beatles, the Rolling Stone, the Who, et al and their impact on the US music industry. It had nothing to do with the unwashed masses of baked-beans-on-toast bargain seeking tourists.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gif

• Like 1

British incomes and available cash are falling.

Thailands prices and air fares are rising.

Risk of civil unrest in Thailand at all time high with many travel warnings.

Risk of death from sleeping in hotel, falling of balcony, killed in RTA high.

The only attraction Thailand really has is cheap pussy.

Can't see Brit holiday numbers increasing in the near future.

Plenty of cheaper and safer summer holiday destinations around the Med.

• Like 2

Most UK residents I know have already done Thailand.

They don't wish too re-visit.

Caribbean,Cuba,Venezuala,Taiwan,are de-riguer.

They are also thinking,Myanmar,in a couple of years,in the future.

Thailand has had its day.

Having lived in Taiwan for several years...things must be getting desperate!

• Like 1

You exaggerate, the risk of civil unrest is far from being at an all time high, this is nothing by anyone's standards in Thailand.

The risk of death from "sleeping in hotels ......", nonsense, the risk has remained the same since time began, the risk is proportionate to the volume of travels.

"Thailand's prices are rising", true, but only if you let them, so much depends on lifestyle and where you shop etc. I'll match my weekly grocery bill against any in the UK not only for cost but for nutritional content.

Yep, plenty of safer cheaper cheaper destinations around the Med, South of France is cheap. Italy is not expensive, North Africa Morocco, Egypt are all perfectly;y safe, not!

• Like 1

You exaggerate, the risk of civil unrest is far from being at an all time high, this is nothing by anyone's standards in Thailand.

The risk of death from "sleeping in hotels ......", nonsense, the risk has remained the same since time began, the risk is proportionate to the volume of travels.

"Thailand's prices are rising", true, but only if you let them, so much depends on lifestyle and where you shop etc. I'll match my weekly grocery bill against any in the UK not only for cost but for nutritional content.

Yep, plenty of safer cheaper cheaper destinations around the Med, South of France is cheap. Italy is not expensive, North Africa Morocco, Egypt are all perfectly;y safe, not!

I long for Bruges, Florence, Lake Como, Crete . . . .

Instead I fly six and half thousand miles and get to go to Makro and HomeShop.

• Like 2

The first two sentences of the OP are total codswallop. 'It seems' indeed. To whom? As Brit myself I aver that they do not poodle like follow recommendations, particularly from travel agents. I 'll wager that few returning Brits would steer their friends and acquaintances to LOS. Maybe those who want to get pissed and get a shag cheaply (my thoughts are that the two activities are mutually exclusive) may continue to come, but anybody with accounting skills would tell them to stay home or look for alternatives.

• Like 1