Neighbour building a wall for the only reason to block my view oh and extort money

The neighbour ie house next door are buying the land behind their house not mine, as i understand it at least. They have not even moved in yet so do not know, when I see them I will certainly ask them about it.

I guess it possible they have bought all? But I think unlikely.

The land owner, of the large expanse of land behind the estate is putting up the wall. Can only be for the reason to block me, unless above is true?

I am not going to war with anyone over it, just posted here to be clear what the situation was.

I can see there is nothing I can do about it, essentially he can do what he wants.

Yes there could be some misunderstandings going on and I hope there is. I will speak with the landowner myself when I can and hope we can resolve the matter.

All has gone quiet for now there is no one next door and no work has resumed on the wall, I don't even really know who the land owner is or how to contact him so will just have to wait and see what happens.

Edited by kevkev1888

Thanks for the replies.

Seems I don't have much on my side here.

The option to buy the land is still there I am sure, in fact I am sure the whole thing is about getting me to buy the land.

As you can see there is absolutely no reason for the wall apart from inconveniencing me , it is to be a special wall that only runs the width of my plot, There are a few houses further round that have a similar design backing onto the land I don't think they are having issues.

I really don't know why this is happening now, apart from next door buying a plot behind their house? Nothing has changed, I think the house has been here about 10 years now.

Still I have never spoken to the land owner myself, told the workers to go get him yesterday, they never came back and as yet have not returned today.

Maybe letting me sweat it out?

Seems there is nothing I can do apart from try to talk reason to him, haha

I am not interested in buying the land at any price, For reasons not to go into here I think I will be exiting this situation soon enough anyway and i am sure I will not be taking anything with me, so I will not be increasing my investment here.

The house is on the Darkside yes, Soi 15 Nong Kiet Yai

As of now for sale, view negotiable, if anyone is interested.

You do realize that with no view and the adjacent wall your property has lost a lot of value, right? Good luck selling it.

Haha

The jokers have arrived.

We seem to have moved into the stating of the bleedin obvious.

Thanks for those who answered my questions.

The only access to the land is probably about 1Klm away, so would be a very long drive way.

My guess is it will in time become yet another housing estate.

I would very quickly make the effort to find out who is the new owner of the land and then make the effort of making an appointment to meet with him. Keep in mind that no one likes to be summoned to visit someone that needs their help.

Your having told his workers, to "go get me the land owner" isn't really what the person that has paid for his land and his contractors to be carrying out the construction wants to be hearing.

Just imagine you are sitting in Pattaya and someone in Bangkok or Chiang Mai, sends someone to tell you that they need your help, but they will be waiting in Chiang Mai for you to come to them.

Edited by 8OA8

in fact I am sure the whole thing is about getting me to buy the land.

Light sometimes finds it hard to make its way to dark places.

First thing people do here when they buy land is land-fill it and fence it off with a tall concrete wall. Serves no purpose most of the times, its just a cultural thing.

First thing people do here when they buy land is land-fill it and fence it off with a tall concrete wall. Serves no purpose most of the times, its just a cultural thing.

Indeed. Landfill is related to a fear of flooding, real or perceived, wall is related to a fear of burglars, trespassers, nosey parkers and short-cut takers, again real or just perceived.

Indeed. Landfill is related to a fear of flooding, real or perceived, wall is related to a fear of burglars, trespassers, nosey parkers and short-cut takers, again real or just perceived.

The wall is because in certain parts of the country, land has a habit of just disappearing and borders somehow magically move.

If they can afford it, its one of the first things people will do, erect a wall.

Its not been unheard of for chanote marker posts to some move of their own accord.

Anyway back to the OP, why doesnt he offer to sell his place to the person building the wall?

Tell the land owner you have a buyer for the house that will also buy the land if he stops the wall, but tell him the buyer will not arrive until June and give the land owner 200k as a good faith deposit. Then tell him you want 30% of the cost of the land (230K) as a commission for selling his land but tell him the new buyer will give him 800K for the land. Sell the house for a million more than you would have by including the extra land. Pay off the land owner 370K (800K less 200 deposit and 230 commission). This gets you out of the problem with a 430K profit. Find a condo next time.

• Like 1

Sorry Kev but if the view is that important to you then you should have bought the land.

Not only would you have protected your view but also protected the value of your house and even increased its value with the extra land.

This is not with the beneifit of 20/20 hind sight but especially when it was actually offered to you.

Tell the land owner you have a buyer for the house that will also buy the land if he stops the wall, but tell him the buyer will not arrive until June and give the land owner 200k as a good faith deposit. Then tell him you want 30% of the cost of the land (230K) as a commission for selling his land but tell him the new buyer will give him 800K for the land. Sell the house for a million more than you would have by including the extra land. Pay off the land owner 370K (800K less 200 deposit and 230 commission). This gets you out of the problem with a 430K profit. Find a condo next time.

Condo views also disappear when the build another one next door, as is happening all over Bangkok.

A wall, you want to think your self lucky, as it could be anything that could be

built next to you, Karaoke bar,Pig farm,Car repairs,or like us a wet market.

you buy a house with vacant land front ,back or sides,its risky as you just

don't know whats going to happen

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

Oh by the way this is in Pattaya if that makes any difference.

Are you sure it is Pattaya? Looks to be on the dark side of the highway as I haven't seen that much open space in Pattaya recently.

I thought it was Huay Yai, near the gold course.

And Huay Yai isn't Pattaya, is it?

Oh by the way this is in Pattaya if that makes any difference.

Are you sure it is Pattaya? Looks to be on the dark side of the highway as I haven't seen that much open space in Pattaya recently.

I thought it was Huay Yai, near the gold course.

And Huay Yai isn't Pattaya, is it?

No, it is not, nor is the darkside.

Nor is Nong Khet Yai, where the house is.

I don't feel Jomtiem is either but tell that to the condo builders.

Here is an idea, you go and build a taller/higher wall/fence just to make a point

and as long as you build it on you land there isn't much he can say about it...

what a great idea, that would really help his blocked view and lack of light, wouldn't it

Here is an idea, you go and build a taller/higher wall/fence just to make a point

what a great idea, that would really help his blocked view and lack of light, wouldn't it

And if it was higher than two meters that would also be illegal.

Besides he cannot build it on his land as he has already illegally built the dwelling right up to the boundary.

And if it was higher than two meters that would also be illegal.

Besides he cannot build it on his land as he has already illegally built the dwelling right up to the boundary.

Well, LarryW, ezzra already said, "as long as you build it on you land "

Had a similar problem. Neighbour sold his land next to us and buyer (Thai lady financed by absentee geriatric falang, to rub salt in the wound) infilled using our 2 meter wall as the retaining wall for the (wholly unnecessary) 1.5 meter landfill. Then she built her house and shop on top of that, towering over our garden (but legally correctly 2 meters from the boundary).

My wife went ape and called in the police and the pooyai-ban. Not a thing could be done except if the wall collapses they have to pay to rebuild and reinforce it. We built another meter of wall on top to cut down the offensiveness of the overlook, a move which has not been challenged.

I was more sanguine tthann my wife whose blood still boils. This is Thailand. Have to accept that the lack of regulation has its disadvantages as well as advantages. I'm gonna try to buy the land on the other side to prevent the same thing happening there.

BTW, even in a highly regulated property market like the UK I am sure there are no regulations that prevent someone with an otherwise legal development taking away your view (though there are regs preventing people blocking natural light, as tightly defined, typically used to prevent people from building extensions on boundaries that are higher than one storey).

If the view was that spectacular, you wouldn't be able to build a new dwelling in the uk anyway.

You thought you were entitled to your 'lovely view' free of charge and took absolutely no action to preserve what may be the only redeeming asset of your property.

Now that some-one else has taken the lead and compromised your situation you're crying in your beer.

Get a grip on the situation and adopt a little sense of humility. Talk to those concerned and admit that you made a mistake and want to remedy the situation. Regarding bluster, you have nothing in your favor.

Good Luck

Jerry

You thought you were entitled to your 'lovely view' free of charge and took absolutely no action to preserve what may be the only redeeming asset of your property.

Now that some-one else has taken the lead and compromised your situation you're crying in your beer.

Get a grip on the situation and adopt a little sense of humility. Talk to those concerned and admit that you made a mistake and want to remedy the situation. Regarding bluster, you have nothing in your favor.

Good Luck

Jerry

Wrong on all counts, have you even read my comments in this thread?

I received the information I wanted within the first few posts, thanks for that.

I would have kept the thread open to let people know how things turn out, may have been interesting for some.

But can't be bothered with all the wanky remarks.

So, Mods please close, Thanks